Why Do You Watch Anime?

AniMeFReaK

I don't know if there was already a thread made concerning this topic, but here I go...

I watch anime for a number of reasons. Anime helps me take a break from reality, and I really need a break sometimes. When I'm having a hard time, watching anime helps me calm down. Sometimes, anime can be just a cure to my boredom. And yeah, so that's my case.

Now, why do YOU watch anime?

• Friendly 1

Honestly? I don't even know, lol. My dad watched a lot of Ghost In The Shell which was probably one of the reasons that contributed to me getting into anime. 

The other is probably what @Wedgy said.

My reason are very similar to @Wedgy. I watch it because anime is soo interesting and is so fun to watch. There has not even been one anime which was booring to me. I watch it to pass time even though I have so much to do.

I used to prioritise anime before anything else now I stoped. 

12 hours ago, AniMeFReaK said:

I don't know if there was already a thread made concerning this topic, but here I go...

I watch anime for a number of reasons. Anime helps me take a break from reality, and I really need a break sometimes. When I'm having a hard time, watching anime helps me calm down. Sometimes, anime can be just a cure to my boredom. And yeah, so that's my case.

Now, why do YOU watch anime?

I watch Anime because it makes me happy everytime, It helps me to forget the harsh of reality. I love Anime with a passion!! I'm proud to be an Anime fan :D When i feel down it cheers me up straight away, I love the cuteness from it, i love the story, I love it all :D Anime for me is an escape from reality and it makes me wish that i could go in to the world of Anime that would be awesome! :D I love Anime so much! 

In general I watch anime just to have fun and be entertained. It's really not much more than a hobby that doesn't require any effort or concentration on my part, it let's me relax and just turn off my brain for a bit. That said, anime in particular feels very unique when compared to other media I feel like. I am a big fan of animation, but western animation mostly excels when it comes to kid's cartoons or movies, or adult humor stuff, whereas Japanese anime tackles many different topics that can be a lot more interesting. It's incredibly diverse! And let's face it - the Japanese are weird as fuck, and that also shows in anime. And I love weird!

All in all I still regularly watch anime as often as I do, because there are still masterpieces out there for me to discover. After FMA:B it took me a while before discovering my next favorites in Madoka Magica, Cowboy Bebop and Monster. After those it took me plenty more anime series to stumble upon Higurashi which I now love. I then watched many more series and eventually got hooked on Kaiji. Again and again I thought to myself "I've seen all the stuff I love already, there aren't any other 9/10's or 10/10's left for me", but surprise! There still are masterpieces out there. And that's what makes me keep watching, because all of my favorites had an impact on me and are still part of me today.

I will admit that one of my main reasons for the few times I get to watch anime is trivia research for my Game Show Megamix panels. But as I started doing more shows over the 10 years I've done these now, I tried to experiment with different shows to see what might grab my interest. Some were based on what I knew others were watching, some just taking a gutshot from the synopsis. Like anything, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But it's always fun trying.

There are a few reasons for me. I watch it because it different than anything else out, I watch it because it's been around so long that it's cool to see how it's changed, or go back and watch older shows with a different perspective than I had the first time I saw them. I watch anime because it's entertaining, but also because it's a medium of entertainment that does things that most others won't even try. It's more unique and varied than a lot of other sources of entertainment, despite my past complaints about it's tropes. Anime just does things that only it can do and that makes it fun to watch. 

basically put id given up on the garbage Hollywood was churning out and the way acting had gone to crap as being entertaining any more and found anime as a suitable replacement

3 hours ago, Wodahs said:

basically put id given up on the garbage Hollywood was churning out and the way acting had gone to crap as being entertaining any more and found anime as a suitable replacement

I'll offer this as a footnote to both of our comments. The more I've watched over the years, it's given me a chance to explain to family members (especially on my wife's side) who have no understanding of anime whatsoever and think it's "just cartoons" how complex the genre is and how it literally spans into its own genres of action, drama, romance, history, sitcom, etc, that match everything you see in live action TV and movies. There is something for everyone of any age that fits their individual tastes. The only difference is that it's drawn and not acted out by live people.

How much said family gets that? Varies from person to person. I'd probably have better luck if I knew the body of anime well enough to give recommendations.

I watch anime because I love it. Simple as that. Why do I love it you ask? Well, anime invokes emotion in me that most forms of entertainment don't other than visual novels and other video games. I'm not a person that cries a lot...but some anime can get me crying up a storm. I love the emotional roller coaster ride.

The real reason is because I like the cute girls xD

*bumps topic* I will NOT let you die!

My reasons kinda grew, for watching anime I mean. I watch anime because it literally ENGULFS me in it's plot and storyline. It's like a never-ending roller coaster that never becomes boring. The tension of what will happen in the next episode literally makes my heart beat so fast that it feels like it's going to EXPLODE. Also, if I don't have time to finish an anime, I spend the entire night awake, finding possibilities of what might happen in the next episode. It's kind of an obsession now. I literally can live without anything in the world, be it food, water, or anything, but I CANNOT survive without anime or manga.

the variety of genre but also the characters that are in the anime are almost always more interesting than those found in other types of media.

somehow even in the short anime series (eg. 12 episodes) they manage to put alot of depth into characters.