When Did You Give Up on Naruto?

Dot.com

I can't seem to remember the exact chapter but for me it was during one of these scenes, during the Fourth War, where Minato commented on Sasuke's power and mentioned that Naruto had not yet matured like Sasuke did. In my head I was just like "Did this mofo just say that Naruto, who suffered because of something YOU did to him and somehow managed to become a sane, albeit slightly childish adult human, has not yet grown as a person?" I was done at this point. I mean, it was a combination of a number of things and by that point I had also stopped watching the anime but that was the final straw. Anyway, which scene did it for you?

I haven't given up on it because I essentially grew up with the anime. I love it. It's just.. I can't remember what episode I left off on so now I have to start over from scratch. On one of my apple accounts, in notes I wrote down every anime I have ever watched, how many times I watched them, and what episode I was on for each of them. I made a new apple account and deleted or made obsolete my previous apple account and I don't remember how to log back in. I can't remember which email it was nor the password. And even if I did manage to get in, the notes wouldn't be there because it wasn't on the Cloud. So it's just gone. So ya.. that happened. However!! I did stop watching altogether before that happened because [MINOR SPOILER ALERT!!] at around episode like 410 of Shippuden, it came to nonstop fillers for what seemed to be 2 entire seasons and for what? Just let me see the d*** fight already. Every season from around episode 410 and up happened like: the battle would progress just a little bit and for the first two or three episodes of the season and then you would just get shot and gunned down by fillers constantly and it was sooo annoying. Like, what season are they possibly saving the fight for? You'd think the artists would want to waste less time, and ultimately be more efficient if they would just get to the point already. If I really wanted to watch the previous episodes of Naruto, one would think I'd just do it myself. But they just have to have the honors I guess. :(

In other words, the fillers is what did it for me, but I also did it to myself. However, I never technically quit because I still will watch all of them one day, it's just not a good time now. I'll just have to soldier through the fillers one of these days once I get that far along again. So it's like I quit, but then I didn't at the same time.

Well you can just skip the fillers, just search for the list of episodes in wikipedia and only watch the canon episodes. I remember when it was still on air, I stopped watched Naruto for some months in the filler where *spoiler* they were onboard a ship to train Naruto to control the Kyuubi.* 

It was so annoying so I waited for the canon episodes to continue watching it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Frith said:

I just got the first volume today 😅. I don't plan on ever watching the anime, but I figured I should at least give the manga a try.

I actually started watching the show first then switched to the manga after the fillers became too much lol. But I'm sure the manga is way better in the beginning (or at least it doesn't show all the pointless crap and gets straight to the point)

19 hours ago, Sasazaki Chan said:

I haven't given up on it because I essentially grew up with the anime. I love it. It's just.. I can't remember what episode I left off on so now I have to start over from scratch. On one of my apple accounts, in notes I wrote down every anime I have ever watched, how many times I watched them, and what episode I was on for each of them. I made a new apple account and deleted or made obsolete my previous apple account and I don't remember how to log back in. I can't remember which email it was nor the password. And even if I did manage to get in, the notes wouldn't be there because it wasn't on the Cloud. So it's just gone. So ya.. that happened. However!! I did stop watching altogether before that happened because [MINOR SPOILER ALERT!!] at around episode like 410 of Shippuden, it came to nonstop fillers for what seemed to be 2 entire seasons and for what? Just let me see the d*** fight already. Every season from around episode 410 and up happened like: the battle would progress just a little bit and for the first two or three episodes of the season and then you would just get shot and gunned down by fillers constantly and it was sooo annoying. Like, what season are they possibly saving the fight for? You'd think the artists would want to waste less time, and ultimately be more efficient if they would just get to the point already. If I really wanted to watch the previous episodes of Naruto, one would think I'd just do it myself. But they just have to have the honors I guess. :(

In other words, the fillers is what did it for me, but I also did it to myself. However, I never technically quit because I still will watch all of them one day, it's just not a good time now. I'll just have to soldier through the fillers one of these days once I get that far along again. So it's like I quit, but then I didn't at the same time.

Omg the f-ing fillers man! Yeah I actually caught up to the episodes and, being an impatient little sh*t I just switched to the manga (this was when they were uploading weekly). Since Naruto was the first anime I had ever watched and actually kept up with for a long time giving it up at that point actually hurt. Like soul-crushing sadness  (like watching your cute little kid grow into an absolute a**hole). Anyway you should try watching it but skip the fillers. There's one filler that made me crack up, I think it was where Naruto and Sasuke get stuck together, I'd definitely recommend that one. 

I didn't really "give" up on the series so much as I just grew up and life got in the way of me keeping up with the series. I still watch the first series as well as the movies from time to time but otherwise I wasn't able to keep up with the series anymore. I would love to jump back into it but I think I moved on from the series onto other anime.

I completely finished Naruto but Naruto Shippuden on the other hand... I've kind of put it on hold for now. I love Naruto but, like everyone else says, the fillers are just a bit too much sometimes. Naruto has this wonderfully horrible way of drawing out fights that could last for like two episodes into lasting for five. 

Some people say to just skip the filler episodes but I'm one of those people that if start watching a show I have to watch all of it.

So I technically haven't stopped watching Naruto I've just pushed it off to the side until I'm ready to tackle all the filler again lol. 

p.s Naruto really isn't a bad show it's just really long so for those of you that stopped on episode one keep going! At least finish the original Naruto because it is still one of my favorite shows. 

• Like 1

I didn't really give up on that anime..tbh life happened and I found myself deep in school shit up to my neck..and yeah I had to stop. Now that I am free, I am going to go back on watching Naruto. Don't know what might happen but I sure want to finish it ^_^ . It's that nothing happened till now that would make me give up on that show altogether :) I hope it stays that way lol.

• Like 1

I gave up on Naruto about 100 eps (I think) into Shippuden. By that point, I'd just gotten bored of the franchise. I was at the point where I wanted them to GET to the point and finish the story. Bleach fell into this category as well. About 100 eps in I was just bored.

As for fillers, I didn't have a problem with them too much since I liked episodes that stepped away from the plot and maybe focus on one of the other characters, like that episode where the kids were trying to unmask Kakashi or the episode that showed that Neji had a fear of the supernatural and ghosts. These are still two of my fav eps of the series, especially the former. 

That aside, fillers of that nature didn't bother me because of the type of filler it was. It's something anime original. I didn't like fillers done in the DBZ way, where they continue to pad out a canon arc. Seriously, how many eps did it take for Planet Namek to finally blow up? So yeah, filler that extends out a canon arc, I didn't like. Anime original filler, it's cool with me. This is one of the reasons I grew bored so quickly of Sailor Moon Crystal. Even though the 90s version had its flaws, the series actually benefited from having filler episodes. You got to know the girls more through them and made them either more relateable to the viewers or more likable. It wasn't always "Sailor business" like Crystal was doing (I heard for season 3, it's supposed to have a feel closer to the 90s version). 

So yeah, I didn't drop Naruto because of filler or whatever, I dropped it because I felt it was time for the story itself to just end.

• 2 weeks later...

I gave up a couple of episodes after the main villain used the genjutsu (I think I spelled that right) on the moon and I realized that the writers basically used that as a way to not let the series end... I felt like they had written themselves into a corner and that was their way of getting out of that corner... So I decided that if the writers weren't going to end the series then I would right there... No series should go on forever...

• Like 1

On 5/6/2018 at 10:42 PM, EnviousEnvy said:

I didn't really "give" up on the series so much as I just grew up and life got in the way of me keeping up with the series. I still watch the first series as well as the movies from time to time but otherwise I wasn't able to keep up with the series anymore. I would love to jump back into it but I think I moved on from the series onto other anime.

Yeah it's kinda hard to go back to anime that you've stopped watching...especially since it's kinda old lol

@ssjup81 yeah they have tons of fillers, which is the most annoying thing ever but i guess its because they wanted the manga to move further ahead? still didn't make it any less tedious though

• Like 1

On 5/25/2018 at 1:06 PM, Dot.com said:

Yeah it's kinda hard to go back to anime that you've stopped watching...especially since it's kinda old lol

@ssjup81 yeah they have tons of fillers, which is the most annoying thing ever but i guess its because they wanted the manga to move further ahead? still didn't make it any less tedious though

I know a lot of people felt this way, but for me, I never had a problem with Naruto's filler since they were usually character focused and anime original. Also, for me, the manga was dropped by me for the same reason as the anime...it felt like the actual main plot was dragging and felt that it was time to end.

• Like 1

About 6-8 episodes in.  Not my thing.  I'm doing the same with Black Clover.  I'm on ep12 and I just can't get motivated to watch the next one.  It'll get pushed to the bottom of the queue and I'll never get back to it.

I might have made the effort to go back and finish it if it had ended after a season or two.  But committing to watch hundreds of episodes of an anime that I wasn't really into in the first place?  Nope.. not gonna happen.

@efaardvarkI honestly don't know how you managed to sit through more than 5 minutes of Black Clover. The voice was annoying af but the pacing in the manga is better. It's just choke-full of cliches but if you don't mind that then I would recommend it.