Can't direct link image in signature

Go to solution Solved by Optic,

Question

Can't link images in signature. Tried different image hosting, reuploaded, etc all direct linking. Uploading it as an attachment works, but it adds an ugly border to the image. Trying to save changes I get error message: 

Your chosen signature does not meet the guidelines.

Was working before, I'm assuming something went wrong after recent update. Tried to change something in my signature and suddenly the pic wasn't working anymore.

Edited by Wedgy

5 answers to this question

• Solution

@Wedgy It was too finicky trying to get the image proxy to work reliably with external image hosts, so I have now adjusted the styling to remove the border from images inside signatures.

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

Hi @Wedgy I have re-added the image in your signature via "Add Image via URL" it should be okay now? :) Feel free to adjust the size if desired by double-clicking the image in the editor.

Longer term it would be better to have all images uploaded as attachments within signatures, I will see if I can override the border styling for images within signatures.

1 hour ago, Optic said:

Hi @Wedgy I have re-added the image in your signature via "Add Image via URL" it should be okay now? :) Feel free to adjust the size if desired by double-clicking the image in the editor.

Longer term it would be better to have all images uploaded as attachments within signatures, I will see if I can override the border styling for images within signatures.

Thanks and yes it seems to be, however for experimentation purposes I added a space at the end and clicked 'Save' and still received the error message. So if I were to try and update it again, it would surely break. I assure you I attempted all of the different options to add it myself, including "Add Image via URL" and nothing worked save for the attachment option. So now I'm wondering if this is another one of those wonky permissions issues. 

Thanks for the follow-up.

I can reproduce the issue, it seems to only affect direct-linking Imgur URLs. If I direct-link from other websites it appears to work correctly.

I will check with the developer of this platform to see if something has changed on Imgur's side or in the platform...

Technically Imgur doesn't allow hotlinking according to their TOS - I recall seeing some websites get blacklisted from hotliking to Imgur, but in those cases they were full-on using Imgur as their primary image host.

16 minutes ago, Optic said:

Thanks for the follow-up.

I can reproduce the issue, it seems to only affect direct-linking Imgur URLs. If I direct-link from other websites it appears to work correctly.

I will check with the developer of this platform to see if something has changed on Imgur's side or in the platform...

Technically Imgur doesn't allow hotlinking according to their TOS - I recall seeing some websites get blacklisted from hotliking to Imgur, but in those cases they were full-on using Imgur as their primary image host.

I would add tinypic to that list- I suspected the same and tried with another host. Tinypic was also a no-go. I've never heard of the Imgur getting blacklisted myself. One has to wonder how reddit survives. :P

I must agree however, uploading attachments would be the best solution and if you can override the styling it would be the perfect fix imo. Thanks for your help.

Edited by Wedgy
  • Informative 1