What was the first manga you read

Nukemsloth

8 hours ago, Nono said:

I have no idea. I used to buy Shonen Jump, which if I remember correctly, had multiple titles inside.

Shonen Jump magazine had only portions of series in it. There were cases though where you could get things like Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon cards as well as full issues of manga along with you issue. They did a lot of western anime news as well before the real launch of social media.

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2019 at 8:36 AM, HanaApril said:

InuYasha was my first manga. 

Thats a good one to have as a first. It is way way different from the anime quite a bit so in my opinion properly introduces people to manga compared to some others. :) 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Maybe Lone Wolf and Cub, maybe Akira, but I wasn't aware it was a specific genre of comics in the Western world. To me it was just some regular comics like Spider-Man.
The first manga I read aware it was a Japanese-created comic book was Ranma 1/2.

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

1 hour ago, Humbby said:

doesn't look good at all.

Sorry to hear that. Do you have a book store you can go to in person? We have Books a million and Barnes and Nobles. They allow readers to browse the selection before buying

• 2 weeks later...

The Higurashi manga adaptation, specifically the "Eye Opening arc", which is the fifth arc overall.
Found out there's a store that sells manga in a nearby city, so I browsed through there. They had almost the entire series, which I slowly collected.

I like how every arc is illustrated by a different artist. It gives them their own feel, and makes sense in a weird way, with Higurashi's overall story. It also adds quite some details that were in the original VNs, but got left out of the anime.

I still remember my first 3 manga:

1) Doraemon: this my very first manga, literally everyone of my generation has read this series.

2) Dragon Ball: well definitely the childhood for many people

3) Yugioh: during the early 2000s it was called "King of Games" in my place. It totally got me hooked on Yugioh card game. Unfortunately this series went downhill for me after the 5D's.