What’s your favorite video game?

Nukemsloth

It changes over the years.  Right now its Persona 5.  Last gen, Infinite Space DS was still at that #1 spot though.  I'd say for a game to get that high it has to be a game that is really fun/exciting, entertaining story, and that it consumes my thoughts even when not playing it.  One of the biggest thing that kills a game imo is when the developers expect the mid to late game to carry itself with putting noticeably decreased effort in that area.

I know what you mean, being a gamer makes it hard to choose! Currently Persona5, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and Overwatch would be at the top of my list, though! Plus some of the classics from my childhood that will always hold a place in my heart are Crash Bandicoot and Spyro. 

Admittedly not into a lot of current games, mostly because busy teaching like means I don't have the time. So for me, it's the oldest of the old-school classics. Gimme a classic arcade cabinet that has Q*bert, Dragon's Lair, Gauntlet, Street Fighter in almost any incarnation, Sonic (I know, not arcade, hush), and I'm sure there's several others that just aren't coming to me right now. Google a show called Starcade if you really want to get into the good stuff like that.

I have so many but I can list a few (in no particular order):

God Of War 4

Mass Effect 3 & Andromeda 

Far Cry 5

Star Wars: KotOR I & II 

Zelda Breath Of The Wild

Story Of Seasons: Trio Of Towns 

Cooking Mama (don't judge, it's a good time waster)

As a huge collector (over 500 games and counting every year), I'd have to break it down by console.

Atari.....no favorites there.  I think I had one when I was a kid but it's been so long O_O  I can't remember.

Nintendo Entertainment System (NES).....Blue Marlin, Life Force and Gilligan's Island  (great memories with both of those)

Sega Genesis.....Ecco the Dolphin Tides of Time (though Earthworm Jim is a close second)

Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES).....Jurassic Park (great replay value, I didn't get too many of the classics in my childhood)

Sega Dreamcast.....Shenmue

Nintendo64.....Jet Force Gemini (I actually loved this one and again great replay) and Starfox64 (I spent months playing this) and lastly Harvest Moon 64 (and I still love it to this day)  -  I actually loved a lot of games on the N64.

PlayStation.....Rhapsody (I collected the PSX games late late late in the game.  This is probably the only one I finished.  Loved it.)

Nintendo Gamecube.....Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (the only game that has freaked me out so badly I had to stop playing.  It will mess up your mind!)

PlayStation 2 (PS2).....uh oh...too many games here.  I need to look at my data file.  A few favorites....  Kingdom Hearts (all around enjoyable), Wizardry Tale of the Forsaken Land, Okage Shadow King, Rogue Galaxy

Xbox.....Dreamfall The Longest Journey (tragic...I love tragedies...not to mention the society was fascinating) and Psyconauts (who couldn't love that game!?)

Nintendo DS.....the only handheld I will ever buy...rarely used it but....  Etrian Odyssey (loved it...so much to explore.  Had me thinking of Wizardry)

Xbox360.....Dark Star One Broken Alliance (loved it! Really hit that space ache), Elder Scrolls Skyrim

PlayStation 3 (PS3).....Tales of Graces F (I love me some Tales games) and Atelier Rorona The Alchemists of Arland (This will always be my favorite Atelier game.  Who could not love Rorona?)

PlayStation 4 (PS4).....Stardew Valley (this reminded me of Harvest Moon 64 and it was perfect!  All the Harvest Moon games after 64 were terrible...and lacked that simple nostalgia.  Too much focus on graphics and not enough on the farm and relationships...but that's where Stardew Valley shined!)

Favorite Multiplatform Game....Beyond Good and Evil (I bought this on the Gamecube, PS2, and Xbox, then as a digital download on psn later.  I loved this game.  I think if Ubisoft had actually bothered marketing it, it wouldn't have been missed by the masses.)

20 hours ago, Beocat said:

As a huge collector (over 500 games and counting every year), I'd have to break it down by console.

Atari.....no favorites there.  I think I had one when I was a kid but it's been so long O_O  I can't remember.

Nintendo Entertainment System (NES).....Blue Marlin, Life Force and Gilligan's Island  (great memories with both of those)

Nintendo Gamecube.....Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (the only game that has freaked me out so badly I had to stop playing.  It will mess up your mind!)

Your going by console reminded me of quite a few games:

Classic Arcade: How can I forget about Arkanoid, Crystal Castles and Off-Road? Again, I'm sure there's more.

Atari: Oh ho ho... no favorites? Kaboom, Keystone Capers, Pitfall are just a few of the ones that got a lot of attention from us.

NES: Well, there's the original Mega Man & Ninja Gaiden series. Much time spent on those. And yes, the first two Zelda's.

Gamecube: A former friend got me hooked for a while on a wacky racing "TV show" called Cel Damage. Look into it.

Wii: Fortune Street, hands down. In fact, we're gonna do a live play on next Friday's Convention Attention podcast of this game.

Edited by Sonic Whammy
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

@Sonic Whammy  Haha, looks like you are from a Nintendo family :)  I was too (and Sega.  The Sega Genesis I actually saved up my allowance and bought it myself as the first console I ever bought.) until the PS2 era, then I expanded my horizons and did some backtracking.  What is crazy about Life Force and the NES is that even after my NES broke (it had two problems.  One problem was with the motherboard causing the screen to be completely pixelated and nonfunctional, the other ended up being a fried power supply.  I refused to let my parents throw it out and eventually took it to an engineering friend to fix it.  Good as new ^_^  Best condition he'd ever seen one in.) I continued to play the first few levels by sheer memory and music recognition until the power supply messed up.  To this day, I find it amazing I was able to do that.  You know, my best friend loved Pitfall too.  I just never got into it...most of my games came from the few we bought (Mario games mostly) and the ones we rented from the video rental store.  Whoa...I'm dating myself there. 

Definitely, listing by console is the best.  I suppose if I included my computer in the list though, I'd have to say Darklands.  It is a very very old game and really similar to a D&D type of game.  I first played it when I was very young and played it obsessively for years then lost it when the computer got fried in a storm.  I bought a version off of steam in the last few years though it doesn't play full screen on my computer (and it isn't compatible with my mouse. :(  So I am very sad that I can only play it in a tiny box and with my keyboard....).  Still, if you are interested in that kind of game, you should check it out.  I think that it has held its allure even after all of these years.

What is really weird is that my best friend had a game console that was neither an Atari or NES or SNES or Sega Genesis and we used to play this....I suppose it was a Secret Agent type of game, where one half of the time you would play as the agent shooting the criminals or maybe platforming through the streets and the other half you were in a helicopter shooting things?  Maybe you were on the ground shooting at the helicopter....  My memory fails me!  Anyways, neither of us can remember the console or the name of the game (I don't believe it was a mainstream console).  What I would do to find it out though.  That would be an amazing blast from the past.  We used to play it with her doing the on the ground shooting part and me doing the helicopter fights.  ^_^  Teamwork at an early age.  I think it had a cartridge format too....maybe.....Ugh...still bugs me over 20 some odd years later.  >_>  I have a feeling she had this during the SNES era...  hmmm....

OH! Secret agent, THAT'S what I was missing from the Commodore era, @Beocat.

Yes, we were a Nintendo family, with a Genesis & Dreamcast on the side. But before and during those, we also were a Commodore 64 family. And one game stood above all the rest. A graphically simple but nimble game called Agent USA. Basic object: You tried to stop a TV turned monster called the Fuzzbomb that roamed the country turning citizens into glitchy electrified zombies called Fuzzbodies. As you traveled, you grew a batch a special crystals which protected you should a Fuzzbody come in contact. To beat the Fuzzbomb, you had to make it to its destination and tag it while holding 100 crystals. Watch the video, it will give a better perspective, but that game was responsible for me knowing all my state capitals when I was 6.

And while I searched for that, I was reminded of another Commodore classic called Archon. Basically a true Battle Chess concept because the piece actually fought each other when one tried to capture the other.

@Sonic Whammy you are an angel! I never thought to look at the Commodore for some reason!  I think she might have had Agent USA because the video looked real familiar but after a glance at the top 30 games of the Commodore (and then a deeper look at Robocop), I know I finally found it!  I'm going to have to collect the console and game now and bring it with me the next time I visit her. She's going to be blown away! We used to play this game all the time as kids ^_^

• Like 1

@Sonic Whammy Robocop. The 1st or 3rd game and the Commodore 64 version of it. I recognize the red helicopter parts. Been searching for that chopper for years lol.  I thought it might be when I saw the first part but the chopper parts sealed it. I don't remember it being on a clunky system but man...that is definitely the game I remember! I think she had the Agent USA game too. But since it wasn't something we could play together, we played it less.  I need to get her to watch a video to confirm it. I literally only played against the chopper do it is mostly what I remember.

I've never turned my back on the Brotherhood.. (Assassin's Creed), It teaches history much better than my teachers do... Currently into RTS game though, but every AC trailer hypes me up, Watch Dogs is worth mentioning too.. Let's just say I'm a huge Ubisoft fan..

MZHtlYM.jpg

I say I enjoy gaming as well and theres no particular game but I suppose more due to my age and the sentimental nostalgic reasons id say more the original Arcade games for me

to me games and gaming seemed so different then 

with the atmosphere and all

• Winner 1

• 4 months later...

I can't pick just one so I will list several series.

1. Pokemon/Persona Series

2. Tales Of Series

3. Kingdom Hearts Series

4. Star Ocean Series

5. Paper Mario Series including Mario RPG

6. Zelda Serues

7. Sonic Series

8. Yo-Kai series

It is hard to give one true favorite, but I can go with a list of favorites

Red Dead Redemption, GTA: San Andreas, Resident Evil 4, Diablo II: LOD, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, Disgaea 2 (I like the whole series but 2 was the first I played), Valkyria Chronicles, Recettear, Borderlands, Undertale, ICEY, and the Half Life series. There definitely are others but I can't think of them right now.

Grand Theft Auto 5/Online probably should also get a mention since I love it overall and I still currently play it a ton, though I dont like the overall direction they took it in the end. You could also say the same for War Thunder.

• 1 month later...

My all-time favorite game(s) is a tie between LoZ: Ocarina of Time and Final Fantasy VIII.

By console, kind like this:

Atari 2600: Cops and Robbers, Asteroids, Galaga, Joust, and Tempest.

NES: Metroid(first game I ever personally bought), Super Mario Bros. 1 & 3, Contra, Double Dragon II, Tecmo Super Bowl, and Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf.

Super NES: Chrono Trigger, Super Mario World, LoZ: A Link to the Past, Super Mario Cart, Donkey Kong Country, Final Fantasy VI, F-Zero, Illusion of Gaia, Super Punch Out, Killer Instinct, and Star Fox.

Sega Genesis: Sonic the Hedgehog 1 2 & 3, Streets of Rage 1 & 2, Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic Spinball, MK3, Street Fighter II Turbo, and Eternal Champions.

N64: both Vigilante 8s, LoZ: Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Donkey Kong 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Perfect Dark, Star Fox 64, LoZ: Majora's Mask, Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2, Diddy Kong Racing, F-Zero X, Mario Party 1 & 2, Super Smash Bros., Jet Force Gemini, Star Wars Ep. 1 Racer, Killer Instinct Gold and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.

Playstation: Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII,  VIII, & IX, ALL Crash Bandicoot games, All Spyro the Dragon games, Tekken 3, Chrono Cross, Legend of Dragoon, Xenogears, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Armored Core, NFL Blitz 2001, Brave Fencer Musashi, Command & Conquer: Red Alert, Ridge Racer, Tetris Plus, Final Fantasy Tactics and the Tiger Woods Golf games.

Sega Dreamcast: Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Soul Calibur, and I forgot the other titles atm.

PS2: Arcana Heart, Gauntlet, Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, Soul Calibur III, Tales of the Abyss, Kingdom Hearts I & II, Conflict: Desert Storm, Final Fantasy X & X-2, Disgaea 1 & 2, Guitar Hero(all), Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, Devil May Cry 1 & 2, NFL Street 1 & 2, Need for Speed Most Wanted, Carbon, & Underground, Burnout Series, Suikoden IV, Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks, and all Grand Turismos on PS2.

Gamecube: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, F-Zero GX, LoZ: Windwaker & Twilight Princess, Skies of Arcadia Legends, Rampage: WOrld Tour, Phantasy Star Online, Tales of Symphonia, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Mario Kart Double Dash, Viewtiful Joe, Def Jam Vendetta, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Soul Calibur II, Metroid Prime, and Pokemon Colosseum.

PS3: Borderlands 1 & 2, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, God of War Collection, Infamous 1 & 2, Tales of Xillia(haven't played second one), Ni No Kuni, Dragon Age Origins, Rayman Legends, Spelunky, Final Fantasy XIII & XIII-2, Heavenly Sword, Last Rebellion, Soul Calibur IV, Spider Man: Edge of Time, Street Fighter IV, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Trinity Universe, and Valkyria Chronicles.

Wii: Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, OneeChanbara: Bikini Zombie Slayers, LoZ: Skyward Sword, Xenoblade Chronicles, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Punch-Out!!, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, Tiger Woods golf games, and Wii Music.

PS4: Final Fantasy XV, Infamous: Second Son, Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, Rocket League, Minecraft PS4 Edition, Dragon Age Inquisition,  Skyrim Special Edition, Final Fantasy Type-0 HD, and Overwatch.

I haven't ever personally owned and XBox console and I don't remember any of the titles I got for Wii U.

Handhelds:

Gameboy Color: All Pokemon titles, LoZ: Link's Awakening DX, and LoZ; Oracle titles.

Gameboy Advance: All Pokemon titles, LoZ Minish Cap, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, and Fire Emblem.

Nintendo DS:  Pokemon all Black and White titles, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, Pokemon Conquest, The World Ends With You, LoZ Phantom Hourglass, Kingdom Hearts 385/2 Days, All Final Fantasy Titles, and the Chrono Trigger port.

PSP: Final Fantasy Dissida(both titles), Gungunir, Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, Final Fantasy I & II, and Valkyrie Profile.

3DS: Pokemon X & Y/Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire/Moon, LoZ: A Link Between Worlds, and DoA DImensions.

Sorry for a MASSIVE post, but I've been playing games for over 25 years and I've loved about 90% of everything I've played. I am heartbroken at the lack of newer titles though.