Poor Translations In Foreign Games

EnviousEnvy

Which games that are spoken in another language have you noticed have bad English Subtitles? Am I the only one who gets annoyed when this happens?

The one game that I noticed this happens a lot in is Attack On Titan or Shingeki no Kyojin. The genders of the characters are mixed up and there are quite a bit of sentences that only make partial or even no sense at all. Ugh...

• 3 weeks later...

That sort of thing has been happening occasionally since forever.  (Or at least since Zero Wing and "all your base are belong to us" in the 90s.  :) )  I don't get too annoyed unless the Engrish translation really starts interfering with the understanding of the dialogue.  Sometimes it'll make me laugh and wreck the mood in a serious bit and that can be kind of annoying too.  

Fortunately I can understand spoken Japanese well enough that I usually only pay marginal attention to the subs anyway so I might not even notice.

55 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

That sort of thing has been happening occasionally since forever.  (Or at least since Zero Wing and "all your base are belong to us" in the 90s.  :) )  I don't get too annoyed unless the Engrish translation really starts interfering with the understanding of the dialogue.  Sometimes it'll make me laugh and wreck the mood in a serious bit and that can be kind of annoying too.  

Fortunately I can understand spoken Japanese well enough that I usually only pay marginal attention to the subs anyway so I might not even notice.

Haha, Engrish indeed. I see the pun you did there.

I think it is more fatigue of the translator at play in most cases. It usually starts out perfect and refined and towards the last half to quarter of a game falls apart. You'll see the same in lack of proofreading towards the latter half of books. It is something that maybe the creators should pay more for or set aside more time to review, but I doubt unless a great deal of complaints stream in constantly that they would do more that patch the subtitles a few months later.

A long time ago I bought the Japanese version of Skyrim in order to enhance my Japanese skills through immersion in this way. The first thing spoken after I got out of the cave was "The dragon is gone so we're free now," or something of the sort. Problem is, they used 無料 in lieu of and so I was laughing so hard because I thought "Wow.. okay then, never realized the dragons used the Imperials as their own personal slaves. Thank you.. Ralof, for the valuable piece of information......."

and that's when I stopped playing.