To all the ladies.. and some gentleman..

bootsies

OK, I have taken action against the five spammers, they were all alts of a single person.

The main issue is new members are able to post on other member profiles AND send direct messages to other members without having made a single forum post.

(which is REALLY disappointing - because the reason I set it that way was to help encourage new members to reach out to other members, not SPAM them!!)

I will reluctantly have to change this so new members will only be able to use those features after they prove themselves with a few forum posts... 

Regarding staff...

I am really conservative with recruiting staff for various reasons. The main reasons are burnout and then going MIA. It's not a fun job and can get tedious when you're volunteering your free time to deal with clean-up and member conflicts.

At this stage we're still a rather small community. But I will consider recruiting one moderator again - due to the time zone issue. But such a moderator would have to have existing experience.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Well round 2 and 3 have begun....

54 minutes ago, Optic said:

At this stage we're still a rather small community. But I will consider recruiting one moderator again - due to the time zone issue. But such a moderator would have to have existing experience.

Mmm experience?

Edited by Greeneyes

Sorry that was unintentional, you should be able to post status updates again.

I have finished making adjustments now so new members will not be able to immediately use the messaging feature nor post status updates on member profiles.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Optic said:

Sorry that was unintentional, you should be able to post status updates again.

I have finished making adjustments now so new members will not be able to immediately use the messaging feature nor post status updates on member profiles.

Sounds good. Posting status updates has been restored!

I was targetted too, and I ain't female.

No matter, that's no excuse for what this person has done. For me it was only around 7 messages, but I see they went way too far with you, posting that much crap (T__T)

3 hours ago, Optic said:

OK, I have taken action against the five spammers, they were all alts of a single person.

The main issue is new members are able to post on other member profiles AND send direct messages to other members without having made a single forum post.

(which is REALLY disappointing - because the reason I set it that way was to help encourage new members to reach out to other members, not SPAM them!!)

I will reluctantly have to change this so new members will only be able to use those features after they prove themselves with a few forum posts... 

Regarding staff...

I am really conservative with recruiting staff for various reasons. The main reasons are burnout and then going MIA. It's not a fun job and can get tedious when you're volunteering your free time to deal with clean-up and member conflicts.

It might also do well to consider time zones considering that's part of the problem. Someone who's at least 8 hours off of your time zone might be a good idea, considering this all started when you were sleeping. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greeneyes said:

Well round 2 and 3 have begun....

Mmm experience?

I suppose he means someone who has already been moderator elsewhere.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RepentantSky said:

It might also do well to consider time zones considering that's part of the problem. Someone who's at least 8 hours off of your time zone might be a good idea, considering this all started when you were sleeping. 

Good luck finding someone who will commit to it. Most of the past attempts at recruiting staff has utterly failed. They have to be good at diffusing arguments between members which can be extremely difficult for some people. (After I left, I witnessed a toxic situation on AF that never should've gotten to that level of toxicity) Not to mention you basically have to keep an eye on the entire forum, including the parts you have no interest in. In addition, Optic wants somebody with experience which narrows the options down even further. It's going to be difficult to find someone who meets all of the above criteria.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ryuji said:

Good luck finding someone who will commit to it. Most of the past attempts at recruiting staff has utterly failed. They have to be good at diffusing arguments between members which can be extremely difficult for some people. (After I left, I witnessed a toxic situation on AF that never should've gotten to that level of toxicity) Not to mention you basically have to keep an eye on the entire forum, including the parts you have no interest in. In addition, Optic wants somebody with experience which narrows the options down even further. It's going to be difficult to find someone who meets all of the above criteria.

What's easy may not be what's best. I used to be a mod here as well, I understand what I'm asking. 

Edited by RepentantSky
  • Like 2

and it seems three are back I feel for the six that are getting this crap posted to them

hey @Optic are spam bots swear filters and whatever usable to combat this as well ?? or even blocking their IP addresses 

tha attacking members this time are

sailentrol

fulllow

and renstin

add another lofthall

and mortefru now

then elgado

deejay

oh and it looks like they are grabbing some threads and just making a one letter post to get theit post count up

Edited by Wodahs
  • Like 1

Hi everyone,

Apologies for this.

I have made further adjustments now so the messages of new members will need to be approved. 

It is really disappointing it has come to this.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bootsies said:

I just woke up to a whole bunch more stuff.. this is ridiculous.. you would think someone would get bored eventually.. :/ 

Precisely, this is what makes me thing that this person KNOWS us, why would they put so much of their time to annoy strangers?
This must be someone who, for whatever reason, is just giving up on friends and relations.

• Like 1

Just now, Roxeg said:

Precisely, this is what makes me thing that this person KNOWS us, why would they put so much of their time to annoy strangers?
This must be someone who, for whatever reason, is just giving up on friends and relations.

I’m starting to agree. I also find it even more strange that it’s only a few days after I returned.. I hope it’s not my fault some how and it’s just some super creep... 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, bootsies said:

I’m starting to agree. I also find it even more strange that it’s only a few days after I returned.. I hope it’s not my fault some how and it’s just some super creep... 

It's just a coincidence. 

• Like 1

Ugh I just have really awkward luck. And I feel horrible for everyone else that has to delete the PMs even if you’re a guy.. you shouldn’t be subjected to that matter one bit. I used to get messages like that on Facebook quite often and I would just delete and block and that was it. This person goes above and beyond being a perv. 

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Optic said:

Regarding staff...

I don’t exactly know what happened yesterday. Nevertheless I would like to be recruited as a moderator. My time zone would be perfect for this job as I live in England which is at centre and has time zone of +0.00.

the main reason I wanna do it because it sounds fun. 

And experience. I don’t which experience you are talking about. 

17 hours ago, Optic said:

Regarding staff...

Well, I'm up for it if you are interested.  I have no moderator experience per say....but I do have 6 years of experience as a manager (I basically deal with, moderate, attempt to contain, etc squabbles between my technicians and other technicians, technicians and people, technicians and providers, pharmacists and technicians, pharmacists and people, pharmacists and providers, sometimes between my own manager and other providers lol...and even sometimes between people and machines (don't kick the printer, it's probably just out of paper!))....pretty much all day long, on top of the rest of my job and responsibilities keeping people alive and safe).  Some of the things that I deal with at work are between some really petty people and other times what they are arguing about is actually important and serious.  I figure I visit the forum every day (whether I post or not, I like lurking) and I read most of the posts as well so it wouldn't be such a detour from what I'm already doing.  I'm North America based.  Anyways, I'm available if you are interested.

Oh, and was the perp targeting profiles who had female avatars? 

Edited by Beocat
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Roxeg said:

Let's keep in mind that trolls target anyone.

5 hours ago, bootsies said:

Ugh I just have really awkward luck. And I feel horrible for everyone else that has to delete the PMs even if you’re a guy.. you shouldn’t be subjected to that matter one bit. I used to get messages like that on Facebook quite often and I would just delete and block and that was it. This person goes above and beyond being a perv. 

Okay, now I'm curious what the message was.