Counterfeit anime discs

Kidcamio

I recently just got into anime and found a person selling Naruto full collection not in original packaging. When it arrived I found 71 disks in paper sleeves. Each disk was plan white marked in black Naruto 1, Naruto 2, and so on. Looks good, but I don't ever recall seeing a disc without a picture or copyright/trademark info. I haven't done anything yet because I was wondering if their is  1. anyway to authenticate the disk  2. to report them.  I'm really sure its counterfeit but the sellers feedback is great so it makes me wonder. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a picture I took with my phone here https://vault.myvzw.com/webcs/app/share/invite/xB1vedm7Dx

counterfeit-anime-disc.thumb.jpg.5a5b195b264e55f626e2fa3aa663ad0a.jpg

Edited by Optic
Adjusted topic title and inserted image directly into post for convenience

• Optic changed the title to Counterfeit anime discs

Hi @Kidcamio welcome to AF and apologies for the slight delay in approving your post.

Of course counterfeit / unlicensed DVD copies like that are totally not authentic.

Which country are you from? I'm from Australia so we have different departments/agencies that deal with this

Assuming you're in the US it looks like the FBI would be the best agency to report this:
https://www.stopfakes.gov/article?id=Federal-Bureau-of-Investigation-FBI

We have a few US members here that may be able to advise further..

I can only suggest you be more careful to buy from proper retailers/trusted sellers in future.

Hi @Kidcamio

Thanks for the clarification about it being an eBay purchase.

If you purchased from eBay and paid using PayPal then you should definitely be covered under their Buyer's Protection. Just raise a dispute for "Item not as described" (not sure if there's a category for counterfeit goods - but you should be able to elaborate more in your claim).

I paid with Credit Card but I saw an option that if the seller has a no refund policy and refuses to refund they will step in under certain circumstances. I think I have a pretty good case but I don't understand how so many people could leave them such stellar feedback on the same item. Thank goodness I didn't buy the collection of Bleach or Fairy Tail they offer.  Anyways I would love to get my money back but now its more about trying to shut down the listing which is still ongoing before others are scammed. 

Just as Optic said, dispute it on eBay and they should refund your money. Also add a negative review for it being counterfeit.  Ebay might not escalate it any further than that so reporting it to the authorities will likely lie entirely on you. Ebay is full of counterfeit goods. You'll do better using trusted retailers and vendors (though I know that the lower expense with eBay can be alluring).

Remember, buying from a pirate just makes it harder for the industry to produce and bring over good anime.  That' why I try to buy new from a vendor like Rightstuf  (and only buy used if out of print). 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Kidcamio said:

I paid with Credit Card but I saw an option that if the seller has a no refund policy and refuses to refund they will step in under certain circumstances.

Hi @Kidcamio you would not have purchased the DVDs if the item photo was of these "paper counterfeit discs" so you should still be able to claim under "Item not as described."

Lesson learned. No Ebay for me. I hadn't used it in 5 yrs. Guess it will be never again. Negative feedback is a given. I'll also be doing more research into where I buy. I am filing a complaint with the authorities. I'm not one to let things rest unresolved. 

4 minutes ago, Optic said:

Hi @Kidcamio you would not have purchased the DVDs if the item photo was of these "paper counterfeit discs" so you should still be able to claim under "Item not as described."

Good point. The picture was Naruto pics. I'm so dumb. But the listing is worded perfectly and the thought of someone using the excuse of an Item was described properly on a counterfeit item just seemed utterly ridiculous at the time. I can't imagine Ebay would choose to not refund because of the wording when someone is selling counterfeit merchandise. But who knows. 

So I filed for a refund. I said this

Are you serious? This is not what ! ordered and had you posted pictures of these ridiculous counterfeits. I never would have purchased them. This is not only a blatantly bad misuse/interpretation of "described item". Its a Crime of copyright infringement. I will expect a refund.

I probably could have been a bit more professional, but they are evil. So I'm covered. :)

I filed a complaint with the FBI on the link you gave me. 

I truly can't thank you all enough for your help in this matter.

Yeah definitely do NOT order anime/movies/TV series from eBay if it's not directly from the company. Check out http://www.rightstufanime.com (FUNimation is partnered with them), they usually have a ton of anime on sale too. 

And honestly I probably wouldn't of messaged them and let the FBI handle it just because they could easily delete their account. Anyway, I hope you get things figured out and thank you for getting another thief off the streets (or internet in this case)!