What Did You Do In Gaming Today

EnviousEnvy

Was going to try to play a little more Minecraft but since I only had a few minutes and no real plan I decided to go for a quick look into the Minetest engine instead.  Ubuntu has it as a flatpack install so it was only a 30 second install, then another quick download of the Mineclone2 resource pack(s) to get something that very much resembles the Minecraft experience.

Like I said I didn’t have much time.  Just enough to do some basic tree punching, enough building to get a little wood shack and a bed/furnace/crafting table going, and enough mining to pull up some iron and coal.  

Verdict:  I miss the visual enhancements of my mc shaders but as far as game play goes it was certainly a comparable experience.  If MSFT starts pulling their usual tricks then I know which direction I’m heading first to satisfy my MC urges.  I wonder if there’s a translator for Minecraft world files to whatever minetest uses?

Spoiler

screenshot_20220813_212740.thumb.png.5b682f3401d3d04cdbb817146baf06ee.png

screenshot_20220813_205900.thumb.png.fe6b97f1a9eff0eb765f4479e570b8cb.png

Edited by efaardvark
typoos and pics

• 2 weeks later...

Not today, but earlier this week I got my Hanzo golden gun, finally have my 5th golden weapon in Overwatch.
It was a long journey, but it's sure a fun one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Unexpectedly got a bit of free time this weekend so I'm playing a little minecraft.  Mostly digging a bit more into the ProjectLUMA shader.  It's decent but it has a few visual glitches such as immobile stars that appear in front of the moon.  (And of course it doesn't fix MC's built-in problem with the lunar phases vs sun angle*.)    LUMA does do a good job otherwise however, especially with large caverns and underwater, and it doesn't kill performance.

2022-08-28_10_25_13.thumb.png.bd4f9363ebadb9100ab17db7666d8d75.png

BTW, if you want a more interesting night sky in MC, try the AstraLex shader.  (See below.)  Stars, the moon, another (huge) planet, nebulas, and even constellations, auroras, and metrorites are all there.  Makes for a somewhat busy sky however, and I don't like the pervasive haze during the day.  Always makes me want to clean my glasses.  :)

2022-09-04_14_28_41.thumb.png.78e038a80a44d212b0dea6d31837e037.png2022-09-04_14_30_38.thumb.png.b761b1ad6844d1f82de6912a31daacd4.png

(*In MC the moon is fixed relative to the sun, and always opposite the sun.  This means it should always be full.  Yet somehow it shows phases anyway, including the new moon!  Doesn't really affect gameplay but a small part of my brain sighs every time I play because it is so obvious yet the devs did it that way anyway.  I keep hoping that they'll eventually fix it.  Maybe even add "surprise" solar eclipses in mid-day, complete with special spawns or special rules.)

Edited by efaardvark

Finally got up the nerve to play a round of Hive in real-time on Board Game Arena. It was a close game, but I managed to win this time. Starting to get a feel for some of the strategy behind it.

Disney Dreamlight Valley (Xbox)

Been binge playing Dreamlight Valley the past couple of days. For just running around and absolutely no combat its pretty addicting. Got Moana, Maui and Remy to the town... currently working on saving Donald Duck.

I’m playing some apex right now. Tried to do ranked but I always win a game and lose one right after. I don’t think i’ll get a good placement unfortunately.

Edited by Soramee_

tfw you hear a ghast scream out a fireball while you're laying a line of TNT.

Took a full stack of TNT to the nether and used all of it looking for netherite.  I was creative in a way that would impress even Megumin but also productive and the activity resulted in 12 ancient debris.  Smelted the debris and used the 3 ingots plus one that I already had on my helmet, breastplate, leggings, and pic-axe.  Not bad for only a couple hours work.  Still need another ingot for my sword tho.

Edited by efaardvark

Used up all my gunpowder on TNT but I finally got my sword upgraded so I'm finished making large holes in the Nether for a while.  Now I'm ready for anything*...
2022-09-16_20_47_31.thumb.png.5a0160b3f44908bffc9efe26140f8418.png

*Now is when the minecraft gods take offense at my hubris and I wind up at the bottom of a lava lake due to a hilarious sequence of highly unlikely events.  :) 

So now that I have a good set of netherite gear in this game I finally decided to go for the stronghold.  Not looking to fight the dragon just yet but I did fully explore/loot the place and light the path to the End Portal itself.  I even put up signs so my brother & his kids can find it.  :) 

2022-09-18_22_41_38.thumb.png.9a1f26238a5af3b1fa1e9e13653dd494.png

While out for a stroll one night (hunting creepers for gunpowder, having recently used up all my stash on TNT) I met a zombie villager.  I trapped him in one of the houses near town and cured him, then gave him a profession table and leveled him up.  He's apparently really happy to be cured, so now I have a source of absurdly cheap diamond armor...

Spoiler

2022-09-24_20_16_47.thumb.png.1aa8fbe059f9e7ea58603829a81acc2b.png

I also created a nifty end terminal for my farm's collection system.  I have farms for chicken/feathers, bamboo, kelp, honey, beeswax,  pumpkins, and watermelon slices scattered around my main base/house, all of which are collected automatically by an underground rail system.  This end of the track terminates under my house.  A cart loaded with stuff drops off its goodies and used to deposit it all into a chest down here and I would come down and collect it periodically.   But now a system of hoppers, droppers, and various redstone bits transports it all upstairs to be deposited in a convenient chest in my main workshop area.

Spoiler

2022-09-24_20_06_42.thumb.png.6aa5501a280714a377adcb994ac1b89e.png2022-09-24_20_08_29.thumb.png.a41f5dc6f85f859b261066d38263a11b.png

Edited by efaardvark

I'm still occasionally working that iron vein that I found a while back.  While doing so I came across a geode, so now I have amethyst shards and blocks as crafting/building ingredients.  A while back (1.19? 1.18?) while waiting on Optifine to update I switched to Iris for shader support and I haven't yet switched back.  Unfortunately Iris doesn't have optifine's zoom-in feature.  Having shards means I can now craft a spyglass however, which provides a proper in-game replacement for that cheat/feature. 

According to the wiki I can now also make tinted glass.  Not to be confused with stained glass.  Might be useful for mob farms?  What do you use tinted glass for that you couldn't use a regular solid block like cobble for?

2022-09-24_23_23_50.thumb.png.4c93c71ed212e669e3e37ed318aec90b.png