What Did You Do In Gaming Today

EnviousEnvy

Wanted to find some time to do some KSP this holiday weekend but unfortunately that doesn't look like it's happening.  Adulting sucks!

Edited by efaardvark

Coral Island

Started expanding my farm by planting more crops because I'm tired of only making 300-500 coins per harvest plus I still have 20 vegetable crops that I need to sell and 50 fruits so the general store can begin to sell local crops rather than the "luxury" ones. I've also been spending time diving and unlocking those towers by cleaning up the ocean.

My Time At Sandrock

Also been playing a bit more of this as well. Almost have the backstage drop finished (just a couple more copper wires and one other thing that I can't think of currently). I've also been spending time on commissions in between doing main quests to make some more money. 

Honestly, I actually like this one over MTAP. Don't get me wrong, the first one is still fun but I feel like there's more to it in the second one versus the first. 

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Finished both the main story and Yuffie's story as well. Definitely cannot wait til the next game. 

FF Crisis Core Reunion 

Just started this today and it definitely brought back the nostalgic feels. Looking forward to play more of it.

20230119_033406.thumb.jpg.e7555749839a2e2edb183b43bfb69545.jpg

• Like 1

Disney Dreamlight Valley 

Played a couple hours of this. Scrooge's store had a few things I wanted so I fished and mined until I had the funds. I really need to start upgrading the buildings and my home though but I also want to get all of the Wreck It Ralph furniture and clothing, lol.

Monster Hunter Rise 

Finally came up on Gamepass so I played a bit of this. Originally tried the demo on Switch but didn't like the button layout for the game... also felt like their was a slight delay after pressing a button for an attack which was rather annoying (on Switch demo). So I never bought it for Switch due to that reason. Now that it's on Gamepass I figured I would give it another shot. 

I defeated the fake Kiba, Hinata, and Shino dolls in Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 2. Now I just need to take them to the character that made the dolls. I probably won't get a reward though, but the battles are fun enough.

• Like 1

Rune Factory 5

Joined Terry on some of his investigations like helping a friend(??) Of Oswald's and finding a mysterious purple dragon (even though it's described as black, lol). Found out later it's Livia's sister and she's also a dragon as well. So in the end I retired from my temporary job at Terry's and rejoined SEED to help get Livia's sister back and destroy the baddies.

Watched a KSP2 tutorial on how to miss the ground, aka getting to orbit.  Getting to orbit was a big-boss problem for a lot of new players in the original KSP so it is good to see them explaining it a bit better in a tutorial for KSP2.

BTW, this is actually how it works irl as well.  It isn't so much about how high your rocket goes, it is more about going fast enough sideways that by the time you would have hit the ground you instead miss it and sail over the edge of the world.  If you can keep doing that - without hitting a mountaintop or sinking so far into the atmosphere that it slows you down and causes your spaceship to fall to the ground - that's called an "orbit".

• Like 1

I saw that v1.19 minecraft had dropped so I had to log in - just to test/update my shaders you understand 😉 - and did a little poking around the scenery.  Found a deep cave that I just had to explore.  I really like the new(ish) terrain generation.  This kind of cave would not have been generated with the old algos.  In this screenshot I'm standing at about y=5ish.. just at the level where the deepslate starts to poke through.  There's another 60 blocks below this.  The rim of the cave above is at about "sea level", or in minecraft terms 63(? I think that's right) so this whole area could be hidden under another ~200 blocks if this were a biome with high mountains!

Spoiler

2023-01-28_22_46_25.thumb.png.365b5c46c7349274edb45da022397adf.png2023-01-28_22_45_37.thumb.png.37850688554a244b15cf05a1b764ec44.png

Also, what's worse than an upset enderman chasing you through the nether?  An upset enderman on fire chasing you through the nether!  I don't know why he's upset.  He's the one who teleported into the lava, not me!  :D

Spoiler

2023-01-21_20_08_29.thumb.png.4268b63385c3ce71e6df76f3378ac218.png

Edited by efaardvark

• 2 weeks later...

Wylde Flowers

Finally made a little more progress in the game. Looks like Gramma's health is declining. I honestly really wish they would up the stamina bar in the game. Literally can only break 3 iron ore before she gets exhausted. 🙄

Hokko Life

So I'm kind of irritated after the latest update of the game. I lost a ton of my stuff without losing save data such as the bridge and a lot of the things I learned to build somehow... so now I have to rebuild the bridge that I built in the beginning of the game but all of my dang resources are on the other side of the river. I kind of want to just give up on this game altogether. It isn't like it's early access so there is absolutely no reason for me to lose my stuff in the game. 😡😡😡

They finally announced system reqs for KSP2..

image.thumb.png.f8b85e9da088cf972729b1ce167e4f4b.png

Apparently it won’t be available native for Linux however.  On the other hand unless they did something horribly wrong the Windows version should still run in proton on linux.  On the gripping hand I'm not sure if I want to pay the $50 - for early access! - to be a beta tester for software that doesn't even run on my system.

Edited by efaardvark
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 6:54 PM, efaardvark said:

They finally announced system reqs for KSP2..

image.thumb.png.f8b85e9da088cf972729b1ce167e4f4b.png

Apparently it won’t be available native for Linux however.  On the other hand unless they did something horribly wrong the Windows version should still run in proton on linux.  On the gripping hand I'm not sure if I want to pay the $50 - for early access! - to be a beta tester for software that doesn't even run on my system.

This is just my opinion, but I'd refrain from purchasing it during beta testing if it won't run on your system. Better to wait I think, although that depends on how patient you are. Sometimes easier said than done though.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Otaku Gamer said:

This is just my opinion, but I'd refrain from purchasing it during beta testing if it won't run on your system. Better to wait I think, although that depends on how patient you are. Sometimes easier said than done though.

tbh that's what I'm planning as well.  I need to at least see an official price and features list before purchase even if it did run on my system.  I really like the original KSP so I'm favorably inclined for the V2 release, but a lot has changed since Squad.  In particular I have some concerns about Take Two.  They're the parent company of KSP2 developer Intercept Games and owner of publishers Rockstar (GTA) and 2K (Bioshock, Borderlands, Civilization).  They're number 3 after Electronic Arts and Blizzard and thus more than big enough to make me nervous about KSP2 just being a money-grab.  I can wait...  I think.  :D 

12 hours ago, efaardvark said:

tbh that's what I'm planning as well.  I need to at least see an official price and features list before purchase even if it did run on my system.  I really like the original KSP so I'm favorably inclined for the V2 release, but a lot has changed since Squad.  In particular I have some concerns about Take Two.  They're the parent company of KSP2 developer Intercept Games and owner of publishers Rockstar (GTA) and 2K (Bioshock, Borderlands, Civilization).  They're number 3 after Electronic Arts and Blizzard and thus more than big enough to make me nervous about KSP2 just being a money-grab.  I can wait...  I think.  :D 

Yeah, the wuality vs money grab dilemma (or problem) really seems to be happening a lot. I hope you can wait, dude. Even though sometimes it's painfully slow time passing by while you do at times. Just try to occupy your mind to take it off of the expectation of the release and you won't have as much anxiety about it being released, at least for a while. Better than non-stop expecting the release, you'll feel like it'll never get here. Trust me, I counted the days until Crisis Core came out on Switch, so I had to play games a lot. lol But I still need to get it. Maybe for my birthday.

So Scott Manley posted a first look at actual KSP2 gameplay from an ESA-sponsored event in Amsterdam.  TL;DR.. I'm not impressed tbh. 

On the plus side, visually it looks a lot better.  The models have clearly had a bit more work put into them than the ones in KSP1.  I also like the redo of the build system.. for example building wings.  I'd like to see a lot more of the whole construction process in fact.  There's hints of some depth there.  The tutorials look like they'll be good for the noobs.  It seems like the fabled reworking from the ground up has actually produced some promising results.  (We'll see once the game is released and gamers/modders get a chance to see the guts next week.)

But as far as the rest of the actual game goes it is (as Manley rightly says) a significant step backwards for those of us who already have KSP1.  I (almost) always play a "career" game, but the only option at the moment is sandbox.  No sign of the promised multiplayer.  No interstellar.  No colonies.  No mining or resource collection in any form.  No OS support for anything other than Windows.  The visuals don't make me envious of anything that I don't already have in my modded KSP1.  Some of the maneuvering & mission planning tools available in KSP1 seem to not exist.  Lots of minor details seem inefficient or unavailable.

The biggest problem I see is the required system specs even for "minimum" level are significantly higher than for KSP1.   Looking at the Steam hardware survey only about 30% of Steam gamers have the required minimum 2060/5600XT, and only a very few have the "recommended" 3080/6800 or better GPU.  They say performance tuning is in the works, but as it stands this is going to be a big hurdle to clear for well over 50% of the people who might be interested in KSP2.  (My own recently-purchased 6600XT falls in between the two.. but definitely closer to the "minimum" end than "recommended".)

All that said, I am happy that it actually exists, and quite interested in where it goes from here.  It is a decent early-access offering - as long as you don't consider the now-official $50(!) price attached - but I find that I'm not all that interested in playing it in its current form.

Edited by efaardvark
steam numbers