What Did You Do In Gaming Today

EnviousEnvy

These ore veins using minecraft's new(ish) terrain generation algos are amazing.  I've been working this one iron vein for quite a while now.  I've got at least a couple dozen stacks of iron blocks out of it to date and it still isn't showing any signs of petering out.  Hardly even need an iron farm anymore, especially if you have a pick-axe with Fortune on it.

2023-04-07_16_33_15.thumb.png.d470f07153d05c647a0cbb769f71f1d6.png

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

Ok, so, in FF7 on my Switch, I've finally left Midgar and went to Kalm so Cloud could tell his story about Sephiroth descending into madness and contempt. Now I'm chasing the black caped man across the terrain to the Chocobo farm before the Mines after the Midgar Zolom.

Been reading up on the minecraft 1.20 "Trails and Tales" update.   IMO this looks to be the best update since the Nether update, with cherry trees/wood/biome, camels (2 people riding!) and sniffers, bamboo wood/blocks for building, archeology, chiseled bookshelves, hanging signs, armor trims, and even an inventory upgrade (bundles).  MSFT has only said "2023" but rumor has it coming out in June.  Getting close!  (Maybe.)

I've looked at a lot of this as 1.19.4's "experimental" features and I'm looking forward to it all being in the main game.  Well, most of it anyway.  The netherite changes are going to make netherite armor a lot harder to obtain and maintain, requiring many more diamonds as well as a lot of exploration to obtain the smithing template(s).  Might be worth it to craft myself a "backup" set of armor before the update drops.

Due to recent events I felt like spending the evening doing some KSP.  :D

So I got a couple of those "match the orbit" contracts.  This is a career game so retiring multiple contracts per launch is desirable.  One of the orbits was equatorial and one was polar and much higher but no biggie.  Built and launched a suitable vehicle.  Matched the equatorial orbit and then went for the polar.  Got the vehicle's apoapsis touching the contract orbit's ascending node easily enough, then tried for a combo plane change plus periapsis-matching maneuver at the Ap for the finisher.  This game install is unmodded so I had to fiddle with the @%@$# built-in maneuver node gadget quite a bit to get the nearly 90-degree inclination change AND the matching periapsis.  Finally did manage a perfect match however, then looked at the resulting dV.. 666.0 meters per second.

I have a bad feeling about this one.  :D :D

screenshot7.thumb.png.ca67ad2375aa5210ef887d6900a642cb.png
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Animedragon said:

That all sounds like great fun. Although the complexity of the maths would hurt my brain. 😱

(Maths and I are not good friends 🙂)

Not a lot of maths actually.  I mean, it is there but the game usually hides it pretty well.  (Though the numbers are there if you want them.)  Maybe a bit of geometry.  I often figure out things like maneuvers by eyeball or such high tech methods as holding the straight edge of a piece of paper against the screen.  :) 

It does help to understand something about what is going on behind the scenes however.  Especially for some things like rendezvous that are counter-intuitive to those of us that live on solid ground at the bottom of steep gravity wells.

By the way, I double-checked my maneuver and it turned out that if I had actually performed it as planned I would have wound up in exactly the right orbit but going in the wrong direction per the contract requirements!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, efaardvark said:

By the way, I double-checked my maneuver and it turned out that if I had actually performed it as planned I would have wound up in exactly the right orbit but going in the wrong direction per the contract requirements!

That sounds like my attempts to find my way somewhere without the aid of my sat-nav. 😃

Still re-learning how to play KSP.  Before my recent reacquaintance the last time I'd played was July of 2021, at least according to the timestamp on the save file for my "career" game from back then.  That game has ships and bases everywhere, and I have completely forgotten wtf I was doing in-game.

The side effects of my new medication have been making difficult to play games for longer than 5 minutes. Have played a bit of Coffee Talk throughout the week. I also got Dead Island 2 and Jedi Survivor that I'm hoping to start this week.

This week I finally had time to rescue "Leeory" Jenk.. I mean Kerman from orbit.  Also Barhat, Bartbro, and Ferdo.  Must have been rocket failure week on Kerbin.  Unfortunately all rescuees were scientists and engineers when all I needed is another pilot.  Oh well.  Rescuing Kerbals avoids having to pay a sign-on bonus and at a current rate of 239k kerbal bucks per hire that's a savings of about $1M right there.  I can probably find a use for them.  I do have a contract for a science station around Minmus that requires a science module staffed by 2 scientists, and I always put an engineer aboard for the inevitable broken antennas or solar panels.

They had to wait a bit for their rescue however.  I have a ship design that can rescue a single kerbal from anywhere in the kerbin/Mun/Minmus system but it costs about $50k per launch.  Two rescue contracts came up at once and I grabbed them both so rather than fly two identical missions I bought some tech and designed a ship that can rescue up to 6 Kerbals at a time.  Reentry is a little sketchy (it needs a good pilot) and it costs about double what the single-seat version costs so Leeory et. al. had to wait a couple weeks while I gathered funds to build and lunch it.  Good thing because while I was doing that the other two rescue contracts came up.  Grabbed them as well and sent up Stauki Kerman as pilot .. got 'em all in one go.  :) 

KSP_screenshot_2023-05-07_18_51_33.thumb.png.a27fd92db6a97dcf034b37b59ee10c9c.png

• Like 2

This is the new science station, soon to be in orbit around Minmus.  Currently operational as far as having Kerbals onboard and generating science but for now still orbiting Kerbin while I finish outfitting it.  To save weight it was launched empty and with engines that maximized thrust at the expense of efficiency.  I need to finish swapping out the engines, deliver & store supplies, finish constructing the auxiliaries, and get it refueled.  Then it'll be sent to Minmus orbit to satisfy the contract.  (The auxiliaries are small craft designed to gather science.  Fuel is a consumable and the little craft can go and collect the science just as well without having to spend huge amounts of fuel to move the whole station around .)

KSP_screenshot_2023-05-14_12_14_48.thumb.png.56bae4939b0aa6d210faefdf0323dc86.png

• Like 1

I took a break from FFVII because, after spending somewhere around 20 hours gathering GP in Gold Saucer, I've realized I can't accumulate enough Battle Points in the Battle Arena for Cloud's Limit Break. That revelation was dispiriting, to say the least, so I just need some time with a different game before I continue. Dragon Ball Z Kakarot is always a favorite of mine, so I've been trying to level up Piccolo by fighting some random enemies and just wandering around, collecting green orbs to use on his Super Attack Tree. I've also been collecting red orbs, but Piccolo requires the green ones, so I need more of those. I've got plenty of red orbs for Goku though! lol

Had a couple minutes after work today to put the finishing touches on my Minmus science station.  Launched and docked the supply ship containing the supplies and fuel.  Got the supplies stored away, the fuel tanks filled, and the new engines attached.  Ready to go to Minmus!  (But not tonight.)

I managed to do a really good job of piloting the refueling tanker to orbit and docking too.  Good enough that it has a over a tank and a half of fuel left over after topping off the science station's tanks.  I'm sure I'll be able to think of something to do with that.

KSP_screenshot_2023-05-15_20_27_06.thumb.png.b9ebdfd59c5ae78c489fd97f2d922da1.png

I successfully moved my science station to Minmus orbit.  !Finally! cleared that contract.  Now I get to do a bit of Minmus science collection and since Minmus orbit gives the science lab on the station a 4x bonus I'll be able to buy a steady stream of tech upgrades once that gets going.  Not much left in the bank account after this project however.  May have to grind a bit for cash now while I wait for the science from the lab to start coming in.  Not only for the tech either.. I have an Eve flyby and science return contract that's going to require I upgrade my tracking station due to the distance and that's going to take a lot of $$$ too.

KSP_screenshot_2023-05-15_21_02_36.thumb.png.96352b93ec38d51618e226d48a7f2f48.pngKSP_screenshot_2023-05-15_22_23_19.thumb.png.94136a329bd7ae5a195fdf9bec434bfd.png

• Like 1

I've been playing Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist: Link Evolution on my Switch. I'm aiming to make a Harpie Lady deck, an Amazoness deck, and a Red-Eyes deck. I just need the points to buy from the Joey and Mai boosters. I've been at it for quite a while, even constantly replaying one of my favorite duels: the first duel between Joey and Mai. Just when it looked like Joey was going to be cooked, he pulled out that win! His reasons for dueling in Duelist Kingdom: to get the money for his little sister's eye surgery because her whole life she was slowly going blind, and she sent him a tape saying she wanted to see him "one last time" which spurred Joey on to Duelist Kingdom for the Prize Money which would be life-changing for his little sis. I'll be playing the GX stories at some point, too, but for now I just want those 3 decks. I've got the majority of the Amazoness cards, and most of the Harpie Lady cards, but I'm still trying to get 3 of each. Might be doing this for a long time. lol It's ok with me though. I've always loved Yugioh.

• Like 1

Zelda Breath of the Wild

Finally finished the last 2 divine Beasts and went up against Calamity Ganon... he was definitely a challenge for me. Took me 2 hours to succeed in taking him down.

Zeld Tears of the Kingdom

Got it when it came out but didnt download it until yesterday. Was able to play through the prologue before having to save and quit due to a busy weekend. Hoping to get back into it later today sometime. 

• Like 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

Discovered an asteroid that had passed through the Kerbin system in KSP.  Guess it's time to make a push for the NERVA nuclear engine, just in case the game throws an asteroid deflection contract my way.  Those can be a pain but usually the money is worth it.

KSP_screenshot_2023-05-20_22_25_20.thumb.png.aa09673eba025703cb8efcb56048bcf8.png

Also took a couple tourists to Minmus orbit and back.  (Don't knock it, the pay is good.)  Things got a little (more) heated on reentry than I like but ultimately everyone made it back down safely.  I think it was because I still had a bunch of fuel on board.  That made the vehicle heavier so it didn't slow down much before it got to the thicker atmosphere and compressed the overall heating pulse into a shorter timespan so the peak heat (and deceleration forces) were shorter but higher.  I like to keep the vehicle away from those red bars.  If they fill the gauge things start exploding. 💥 😟 

You can't really tell from the pic but the parts closest to exploding were the solar panels and the batteries.  At this point in the mission those have pretty much served their purpose and can be lost without much impact beyond loss of a bit of profit.  The panels are stowed for reentry anyway so they're not doing anything useful.  If all electrical power is lost then the reaction wheel keeping the vehicle oriented lose power and the vehicle would start tumbling, with likely disastrous consequences.  On this vehicle the crew capsule also has a built-in battery that's sufficient to power the reaction wheel at least through reentry so that's not really of concern here.  

The thing is that most of the batteries are external and while losing the stored power per se isn't a problem, if they get too hot and explode sometimes the shock of something exploding can momentarily throw off the alignment enough that the reaction wheels can't recover in time to keep most of the vehicle "behind" the engine in terms of heating before something else gets too hot and explodes.  If that something else is maybe a parachute, or a crew compartment, or if it leads to a chain reaction of explosions ... well, that would be "bad".  Also, changing the external surface alters the air flow and can result in off-axis aerodynamic forces that the reaction wheel can't compensate for.  Again, something else might get exposed for long enough to overheat and explode.

KSP_screenshot_2023-05-20_22_19_06.thumb.png.1b58d28d059d1474269a30cce1e32380.png

Fortunately nothing exploded and the piloting was good thanks to the pilot Stauki (only 2 of 5 stars but one of the best I have at the moment) who managed to keep most of the vehicle behind the engine, which took the brunt of the heating.  Engines can take it.  So everyone landed safely and the contracted payment was received.  Any landing you can walk away from is a good one, right?  :D  Collecting a paycheck is also right up there. 💰

KSP_screenshot_2023-05-20_22_22_47.thumb.png.faebcaf7d884fd3bf7cb0235f233842d.png

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1