What Did You Do In Gaming Today

EnviousEnvy

Akiba's Trip (PS4)

Took a nice long break on this game after rage quiting a few months back. Finally got past one of the missions that I kept dying on. 

The Sims 4 (PC)

Been building crap as well as households and uploading them to the gallery.

That's about it right now. Haven't really been in the gaming mood.

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

Skyrim (PS4)

Did a few main story missions for Daphine. 

Akiba's Trip (PS4)

Did two side missions and a story mission

Mass Effect Andromeda (PS4)

Just restarted this game since I only completed one actual playthrough. Even though this game gets a lot of hate, I actually like it.

Akiba's Trip (PS4)

Finished the main story of the game. I enjoyed it a lot however the only downside is that after beating the story they don't let you go back to do any of the side missions you haven't done yet. Instead after saving they allow you to fully customize your character and the game restarts from the beginning with your new character. *meh*

Shinobi Striker (PS4)

Beat a few missions and unlocked a butt load of new merch. Didn't do much on this but did play for a couple of hours.

Played a little indie game called "Manual Samuel" yesterday, expecting it to be some adventure game with choices like The Walking Dead or at least interactivity, but it turned out to be this really annoying game where you have to control a character using a very awkward set of keys on your keyboard. And when you start the game for the first time, guess what the important message you'll see is? "This game is better with a controller." Yeah, that explains it. A PC game that works better with a controller.

Anyway, it's short enough that I managed to complete it and forgot about it. It was okay, and the comedy is... passable, I guess. It's the sort of 'quirky' humor that hipsters like to describe indie games with. You know the kind. Undertale-ish.

Shopping for parts for a new system.  Been thinking it was time to upgrade my old FX system anyway, and someone got me a 2700X CPU (only) for xmas so I figured it's time for some stone soup.  :)

Edited by efaardvark
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Shopping for parts for a new system.  Been thinking it was time to upgrade my old FX system anyway, and someone got me a 2700X CPU (only) for xmas so I figured it's time for some stone soup.  :)

Building a new rig is always fun. Dose not take to long to through it together. Though shopping for it is half the fun.

18 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

Building a new rig is always fun. Dose not take to long to through it together. Though shopping for it is half the fun.

Since I've already got the nice CPU I might just go for it on this system.  32GB RAM.  x3- or 470 chipset w/dual M.2 slots so I can RAID a couple NVME SSDs.  Water cool it and see if I can get the CPU to 5Ghz and memory to 3200Mhz (maybe even 3600).  CrossFire/SLI a couple GPUs.  That sort of thing.  It has been a bit cold around here lately.  I could use a space heater.  :)  I be hating it when summer gets here though, and lately I haven't had any time to enjoy such a system.  Certainly not cheap either, though I did get a ton of hours in the last couple months, and our group got a performance bonus on top of that.  It's only money, right?

Played lots of VNs over the past week, as usual. I'm trying not to talk too much about that over here though since I'm not sure if there are that many people out here who read VNs and are therefore interested to read this sort of thing, so I'm trying to keep my posting to mainstream gaming, But occasionally, I guess I'll just drop one or two comment here and there out of boredom.

Let's see... got a VN I ordered online delivered today. It's an otome game, meaning that it's catered for female gamers, but I've read that it can be enjoyed by males too, unlike something that's considered "girly" in America like "Barbie's funhouse" or something. Unless you're a male who's into Barbie. No judgement. So far, the notion that otome games can be enjoyable for males holds true. It just comes off as your average anime harem, except with males. And well-written ones like that ones I bought don't really focus that much on sex anyway, even if some of the implications is still problematic, as far as Japanese stories go (like suggesting that a guy who talks openly about having sex with you makes him just a "lovable goofball" instead of a dangerous creep who should be locked up). God, as a guy playing as a female, I'm honestly creeped out, having finally understanding how a woman feels towards men like that. Japan seriously needs a #MeToo.

Anyway, other than that, I'm also playing five other VNs at the moment, including Kara no Shoujo and Fate/hollow no ataraxia, the latter of which being a sequel to Fate/Stay Night (though it's more like a fandisc than a sequel, meaning it's more like DLC material). Might go into more details talking about them in the future, should I notice any interest in VNs around here.

Played some Yakuza 0 last night, but got annoyed by two things:

1. The game plays smoother with a controller, and I recently sold away my PS4 dualshock controller... On KBM, I sucked hard playing the rhythm mini-game. Sigh. I hate playing rhythm games on KBM.

2. The game is basically GTA IV with yakuza. It's a massive game with 24gb, but I don't really like open-world games. It's just not my cup of tea. But the really disappointing thing is that I had presumed from reviews I read that the game can be played in any way you want, kinda like a visual novel with choices. But really, when it comes down to it, it's pretty much a false illusion of choice, and rather than "playing it your way," it's more like you're ticking off a series of checkboxes after every side-quest or location you've visited. I mean, I guess you could play those side-quests in any order you want... but does the order you play them in really matter in the end? Would there be any consequence to what kind of side-quest you complete at all? I doubt it. Which is why I don't like open-world games, because they feel like you're a tourist on a bus tour going down a list of locations you want to visit set for you by the tour guide, rather than picking the kind of experience you want to have... if that makes sense.

Anyway, that's why I don't like linear games, because they lack that sense of personality. Every person playing the same game would have the same kind of experience because they would essentially be taking the same path you're taking. It's boring that way. Even open-world games have this problem. You're still visiting the same location every completionist out there who visit every location would be visiting. There's no difference if you simply visit every location too like a completionist.

But anyway, I uninstalled Yakuza 0 just after a few hours. Waste of money and waste of time. Steam's refund policy triumphs again.
Edited by Dondake

Sims 4 (PC)

Haven't been feeling good (thinking I'm coming down with the stomach bug or something) so I haven't been in the mood for any serious gaming. Decided to keep it light the past couple of days by playing this game.

Needed an 'angry' game to vent out my frustration, and I remembered this edgy title called "Hatred". The title explains itself. It's pretty much a game designed for angry 12 year olds living in their momma's basement trolling the Internet.

And here I am. Playing it.

Still, were it not for its ridiculous self-aware dark humor amping up how violent the protagonist is trying to be, this game definitely wouldn't have seen the light of day, I think, especially with shootings being as rampant as they are in America. And it's not something like "Manhunt" or "Hitman" either, where the people you kill are pretty much scumbags who deserve it. Instead, you're shooting innocent bystanders here as part of some "cleansing", mixed in with the occasional cops you have to survive against.

There are side-quests at times that give the game some variety, like burning down stores or blowing up gas stations. The game also has a top-down view, so the combat can be a bit awkward. I really loathe these kinds of games where it's more convenient with a controller. Thankfully, "sprint" and "crouch" can be toggled, so you can leave them on if you want. However, sprint can only be toggled for a few seconds before the main character runs normally again. The awkward combat mechanic is made more difficult when the only healing available is by performing "executions" on victims that are nearly dead, but not completely dead. Yeah.

Anyway, it's amusing for what it is, and it does serve the purpose of numbing my brain and killing my boredom. But when it comes down to it, it's pretty formulaic, just running around shooting people. The execution cinematic is amusing enough, since there are various violent and brutal ways the killer pull them off, but there's not enough variety to keep me entertained for long. God, who knew playing a psychopath can be so... boring?

Spent the entire night 'till morning playing "Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition" after I bought it for four bucks, though that doesn't necessarily indicate that I'm obsessed with it. Since it's an open-world game, that means once I've explored all the locations and side quests, I'd be pretty bored with it. Actually, I'm starting to get bored of the routine of the game already, going around completing missions for both the cops and the triads. It's pretty much GTA IV/Yakuza 0 but with Chinese triads. You can pretty much just interchange these labels between the three games and it would generally feel like the same gameplay.

Well, except you actually get more choices in how you want to complete certain important story missions in GTA IV.

I'd probably be bored of this game in a few days, much faster than Two Point Hospital. At least it's cheap.

• 3 weeks later...

Pajama Sam: You Are What You Eat (PC)

Dude, I used to play this all the time back in grade school and just recently found it on Steam. Bought it and replaying it, heck yeah!

Spyro (PS4)

Decided to jump back into Spyro and managed to get 46% done on the first game. Most likely won't get to the 100% mark just because I skip a lot of the mini games and collecting gems gets rather annoying, lol.

Today I watched quite a bit of gaming news, and a LP of Super Mario World by one of my favorite Lets Players. I also played some Mario Kart 7 on the 2DS :) I think thats my favorite of all the Mario Kart series second only to Super Mario Kart for the SNES.