What Did You Do In Gaming Today

EnviousEnvy

Devil May Cry 5 (PS4)

Found my way back to Urizen and got my butt handed to me again. After being knocked down a demon showed up... don't know who or what it is.

Devil May Cry 5 (PS4)

Discovered Dante sleeping on a statue-like thing while playing as Nero. Jumped to playing as Dante for the first time and I think I failed, lol. Found Lady and Trish on the ground and went up against Urizen again.

Been reading up on the latest No Man's Sky news.  Now that I have a system that meets the VR specs I'm kind of looking for a game or app that'll impress me enough to buy some VR gear.  Ironically, this "DOA" game might wind up being the one that actually gets me to take the plunge, especially now that they've got multiplayer working reasonably well.  Of course, Hello has a history to get past so this is definitely an "I'll believe it when I see it" situation.  That said however, I've been following the game's developments for the last couple years and there's a 'tuber that livestreams NMS play that I've periodically been watching.  Murray and crew have released a steady stream of bug fixes and new features since launch that have really turned NMS into an interesting and playable game.  It kind of reminds me of the early Notch/Mojang days of Minecraft in a lot of respects.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/288825-no-mans-sky-vr-wins-praise-beyond-promises-major-improvements

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

8 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Been reading up on the latest No Man's Sky news.  Now that I have a system that meets the VR specs I'm kind of looking for a game or app that'll impress me enough to buy some VR gear.  Ironically, this "DOA" game might wind up being the one that actually gets me to take the plunge, especially now that they've got multiplayer working reasonably well.  Of course, Hello has a history to get past so this is definitely an "I'll believe it when I see it" situation.  That said however, I've been following the game's developments for the last couple years and there's a 'tuber that livestreams NMS play that I've periodically been watching.  Murray and crew have released a steady stream of bug fixes and new features since launch that have really turned NMS into an interesting and playable game.  It kind of reminds me of the early Notch/Mojang days of Minecraft in a lot of respects.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/288825-no-mans-sky-vr-wins-praise-beyond-promises-major-improvements

Ah, a couple buddies and I were originally so excited for No Man's Sky, it seemed right up our alley. One of them got it immediately at launch but I waited just to be safe, and I'm oh so glad I waited. It does seem like it has become respectable now, but at launch it was outright sad.

14 hours ago, SanguineTear said:

It does seem like it has become respectable now, but at launch it was outright sad. 

I wouldn't say it was sad exactly, but it certainly didn't live up to the hype that preceded its release.  Especially after the E3 demo expectations were so high that some sort of let-down was almost guaranteed.  It wasn't the first time I've felt bad for the people that bought into the hype and pre-ordered.  I wish the industry wouldn't do that sort of thing.  That said, my brother bought it about a month after release* and we had fun with it.  Even at that point it was an ok game.  If they'd released it without so much hype as a Steam style early-access or something along those lines I think everyone would have been fine with it, especially given the support and development that Hello has demonstrated since then.

*Word to the wise: always, ALWAYS, wait for at least the first bug-fix/patch to be released before purchasing any game!  I wish that the gaming public wouldn't continue to be so "generous" (gullible) with their pre-orders.  Why people continue to pay full price to essentially be unpaid beta-testers is beyond me.  This wasn't the first and as long as companies are rewarded for their behavior it won't be the last time something like that happens.

In other news there's a new version of Kerbal Space Program coming out... now that I finally got all my favorite mods working in the current version.  🙄

https://youtu.be/moagDHUYWQs

5 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

Just don't forget to eat, or anything.

Have you seen the prices on a nice VR rig?  🙀  An HTC VIVE with a wireless headset and a set of knuckles looks like it'll set you back nearly a thousand US$... $1500 computer to connect it to not included!  I can see why some people who play in VR are claiming weight loss.  Eating might not be an option after that!

• Agree 1
  • Silly 1

2 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

Have you seen the prices on a nice VR rig?  🙀  An HTC VIVE with a wireless headset and a set of knuckles looks like it'll set you back nearly a thousand US$... $1500 computer to connect it to not included!  I can see why some people who play in VR are claiming weight loss.  Eating might not be an option after that!

I see well everyone losing weight differently. I was of course merely joking about the not eating thing of course. Yah VR is hella expensive way way to much for my blood thats for sure. Plus its a neigh and very unlikely to be main stream for most people.

Thats why we are starting to see VR Arcades that is an awesome idea honestly if you ask me. 

W2K19 (PS4)

Just got this game over the weekend to help pass the time until MK11 is released. Been busy creating superstars, move sets, entrances, etc. So I haven't really gotten a chance to do any matches at the moment. I like it though.

13 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

Thats why we are starting to see VR Arcades that is an awesome idea honestly if you ask me. 

There was a more modern VR setup of some sort at the hotel I stayed at in Vegas a couple weeks ago.  Looked like a small room but I never got a good look at it because it was either closed or the line was way too long every time I went by to check it out.

There used to be a Battletech center over in Pasadena (nearby city) years and years ago too.  Kind of a primitive single-use VR setup where you would climb into a physical mech cockpit and play with up to a couple dozen other players in similar rigs on a LAN.  In the waiting/viewing area they had a couple Dactyl Nightmare rigs too, as well as a bunch of regular arcade games.  

The Idea has been around for a while.  Someday the technology will be there to make it work.

• Like 1

W2K19 (PS4)

Created a Male wrestler and did a few matches with my fiance when he got home from work.

Skyrim (PS4)

Came back to this game for awhile for lulz. Did some hunting since I haven't reached 100 in smithing yet and completed some minor missions as well.

For most of last evening I watched more of the first Ni no Kuni game Wrath of the White Which. I did end up stopping around 11ish though I am still up past midnight so figured I'd post this anyway. I have really enjoyed the story thus far nearly at the end.

After last week's events IRL (Beresheet landing, Falcon Heavy launch) I'm inspired to try and get back to KSP.  At this point I need to set up a "real" communications network rather than the ad-hoc one I've got now.  In the early game I usually just attach a high-gain antenna and a solar panel to any boost stage that will be staying in orbit.  It is kind of random, but it is cheap and tends to provide enough coverage for anything I need to do in the Kerbin system.  Occasionally there's a gap in coverage and I can lose control of a probe briefly, but that just keeps things interesting.  :D

For deep-space missions beyond Kerbin I need something better however.  The early-career antennas don't have the range to reach all the way to Duna or Jool even with tracking station upgrades, and deep-space probes are expensive enough that I don't want to risk losing one just because I lost comms at a critical moment.  Now that I've got access to better antennas I'm looking to build a network that gives more reliability and longer range.  At the moment I'm browsing my list of KSP streamers, looking for ideas.  This one looks about right...