What Did You Do In Gaming Today

EnviousEnvy

Played "count the turtles" in minecraft ...
2020-06-12_18_23_00.thumb.png.8923125500db07bc68503778d3cfd3bc.png

... and tried to not look at the creepy dude.  (But I just installed new textures and shaders!  How could I not look?  I looked. 😱 )

2020-06-12_23_12_55.thumb.png.aa86bf55c7719ad2302c1a2b33f724fd.png

Planet Zoo (PC)

Added Saltwater crocodiles to my zoo and released some offspring into the wild. 

Other than that I haven't done much gaming due to me being pain from surgery. 

The Isle (PC)

Myself and two other friends decided to play The Isle which took up most of my day. It's the first time I actually played it. Reminds me a bit of Ark or Conan Exiles but better.

376210_screenshots_20200617001759_1.thumb.jpg.8e95ed8cf0900f9143b79b1899e1ea32.jpg

The Outer Worlds (Xbox)

Probably gonna end up being one of my favorites. A mix between Fallout and Mass Effect. I finally got my ship up and running and got off the first world (those marauders and Candids were annoying). 

IMG_db496cc6-77a5-416d-8485-f3f332692146.png.0185c9f283ed72f46819f2750a2d334e.png

Edited by EnviousEnvy

I'd been away from my anvil and enchantment table for too long - having 45 unused levels makes me too conservative - so I headed back to my main base.  This is the first time I'd seen it with the new shaders and textures so I took a couple snaps.

Home sweet home...

2020-06-20_18_01_44.thumb.png.b9ac4e2d508be2154942fbd3c6a210b3.png

... and here's the library + built-in fishtank (compare with the pre-mod pic in this old post) :

2020-06-20_18_05_35.thumb.png.17b3606a9ef0b51fddc3ba1ae47b1648.png

I can actually see my fish!  :)

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

1 hour ago, efaardvark said:

I'd been away from my anvil and enchantment table for too long - having 45 unused levels makes me too conservative - so I headed back to my main base.  This is the first time I'd seen it with the new shaders and textures so I took a couple snaps.

Home sweet home...

2020-06-20_18_01_44.thumb.png.b9ac4e2d508be2154942fbd3c6a210b3.png

... and here's the library + built-in fishtank (compare with the pre-mod pic in this old post) :

2020-06-20_18_05_35.thumb.png.17b3606a9ef0b51fddc3ba1ae47b1648.png

I can actually see my fish!  :)

Ok that is awesome especially the second pic.

3 hours ago, Geano said:

Ok that is awesome especially the second pic

Thanks, I like it too.  I'm using a x64 texture pack ("Faithful") that really helps with details like the books in the bookshelf and making the fish fish-shaped instead of barely-visible blobs.  (Also using optifine so I can run Sildur's shaders, which helps with the lighting, but for this snap it is mostly the texture pack at work.)

Not bad for a 4-yo, mid-range gfx card.  :)  Someday I'll get a new card, but for now this is fine.  (Waiting for AMD's RDNA2 to ship before I do anything too hasty.)

Edited by efaardvark
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

Not bad for a 4-yo, mid-range gfx card.  :)  Someday I'll get a new card, but for now this is fine.  (Waiting for AMD's RDNA2 to ship before I do anything too hasty.)

Yah I would agree there. What GTX card you running with it? Yah I love playing with texture packs in MC especially themed ones.

Just now, Geano said:

Yah I would agree there. What GTX card you running with it? Yah I love playing with texture packs in MC especially themed ones.

GFX card?  This is still my old Radeon RX480.  They don't make them anymore (superseded by the RX-500 series) but it still works and is well supported under linux with the open-source "amdgpu" driver.  It even has Vulkan support.  It is also pretty quiet (and cool) unless you really push it.  I like quiet.  I originally bought it for my old FX-8370 system but when I built my new system a couple years ago I found that gfx cards had been ridiculously over-bid by the bitcoin miners so I just decided to move the old card over to the new system and wait for cheaper GPU prices.  I'm still waiting.  :D

44 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

GFX card?  This is still my old Radeon RX480.  They don't make them anymore (superseded by the RX-500 series) but it still works and is well supported under linux with the open-source "amdgpu" driver.  It even has Vulkan support.  It is also pretty quiet (and cool) unless you really push it.  I like quiet.  I originally bought it for my old FX-8370 system but when I built my new system a couple years ago I found that gfx cards had been ridiculously over-bid by the bitcoin miners so I just decided to move the old card over to the new system and wait for cheaper GPU prices.  I'm still waiting.  :D

Yes 2018 was not a good year for PC gaming what with bitcoin at a all time high. Though every article I have read since then seems to suggest that bitcoin at least is highly unlikely to reach that exchange rate again considering how much better hardware for mining is even in just two, and a half years.

I have a GTX 1070 it works great its now been in two systems my old one which failed likely the pump for my aio. So I just put it in my new system, and worked great. Though someday wpuld like a RTX card even more so now that the 30 series seems to be making some progress on even the 20 Super series.

Found out today that Empyrion is "gold" in Steam's ProtonDB.  My brother has this for Windows and has been bugging me to play it with him.  Crafting and space ships.  What's not to like?  I did like Planet Nomads.  This looks way better, like Space Engineers but with a plot, and bits of No Man's Sky.  I might have to give it a try.

Today just been watching some retro game longplays in particular at the moment Star Fox Assault. Oh it hurts my heart the fate of such an awesome series much like most of Nintendo's story driven franchises. 

So I was all set in my mind to sit down this weekend and do some Nether exploration in minecraft now that the 1.16 nether update has dropped.  But now I log in to Steam and find that Empyrion has a 60% off sale that drops the price to $8.  😮  Decision, decisions.

Actually I'm not sure how well or even if Empyrion works on my system.  Empyrion is a Windows-only game and I'm on linux.  I've seen reports that it is working with Steam's Proton for over a year now so unless the recent release broke something it sounds like my chances are good.  I haven't seen any reports one way or the other since the update however.  Either everyone is too busy playing it to bother commenting on it, or it broke and everyone has given up.  :)  It is still an alpha release too and I don't want to pay for something that doesn't work or for something that I'm going to have to fiddle with to get it working.  Too bad there's not a demo.

Well, decided to go with Empyrion today.  I've never actually played this game before (though I've heard a lot about it from my brother) so I'm just running through the tutorials in single-player mode for now.  So far so good.  Steam's Proton has given me absolutely no trouble so far.  My old RX480 card is giving me 50-60fps.

As for the game itself.. it is alpha.  No obvious bugs so far, but the interface is kind of klunky in places, the progress is uneven, and the tech tree is occasionally opaque.  A couple times the tutorials tasked me to build an item but there is apparently no way to know what branch of the tech tree you need to unlock to build a certain item.  Maybe it is just me being a noob but I've got a couple hours on it now and I just don't see it yet.  Also, they have several types of vehicles (and a base) and some parts can't be attached to some types of vehicles.  That's ok, but sometimes you can't tell which part goes with which vehicle, and a couple times now I've built the wrong part.  (For instance, there is one fuel tank for the power generator for the base and another one for the hovercraft.  The picture of each is different but they're both called "fuel tanks" in the crafting menu, and the one for the hovercraft can't be used with the base generator or vice versa.  Eventually I'll be able to tell them apart by the picture but the first time I had to do the eeny-meeny-miney-moe thing and picked the wrong one.)

All that said, for an alpha I'm liking it.  Worth the $8 early access price.  It'll be nice to see the final version.

Edited by efaardvark

Snuck in another couple hours of Empyrion today.  Gotta say.. it looks a lot better than minecraft out of the box.  :D 

20200628113220_1.thumb.jpg.ac206a912495e752b1af0c310580fa43.jpg

It definitely has a whiff of mc about it though.  I'm playing survival (of course) and the first things I had to do was chop down some trees, dig up some stone to build a base to keep the spiders out, build a fabricator (aka crafting table), dig up some iron, ... tell me if any of this sounds familiar.  :) 

But then there's the dinosaurs, the vehicles, and that ugly thing down by the lake that always tries to bite my face off when I go to get some water.  Had to figure out how to make a shotgun for that last.  No shotguns or hovercraft in minecraft!

20200628143853_1.thumb.jpg.96270446c9ca572a53fe53be1170768f.jpg

Zelda Link's Awakening (Switch)

Been having a difficult time sleeping at night lately so started on this game. I'm enjoying it so far.

Persona5 Royal (PS4)

(Forgot about this game honestly, oops) Got Kamoshida to admit to his wrong doings and am now focused on studying for my character's finals and working on some requests from the Phan-site.

Kakrot (PS4)

Defeated Vegeta and now doing side missions for Chi-Chi.

Persona 5 Royal (PS4)

Just started on Madarame's distorted palace. I forgot how feisty Yusuke is, lol.

Took a stack of gold to the Nether in minecraft and did some trading with the piglins.  Got some pretty good loot in trade.  Piglins don't appear to trade for anything but gold ingots, but they'll pick up anything gold, or any armor or weapon.  Be careful of baby piglins however, as they don't trade but will still take your gold or other items you drop.  Brutes will also not trade.

One thing I noticed however is that the piglins do seem to "fill up".  After a while they'll pick up an ingot but then drop it again instead of giving you something different.  My guess is that they have a certain number of internal slots and when those fill up with ingots they start dropping new ingots.  Too bad.  I was hoping to corral a few and use them for trade.  It doesn't appear that plan will work, since any group you get will eventually fill up and stop trading.  I don't know if they "reset" if you leave them alone for a certain period of time.  It didn't seem to happen while I was watching however.

On 7/6/2020 at 7:34 AM, Zila said:

Starting a new game in Suikoden III because it's been long enough! 

Just got Persona 5 Royal even though I put a lot of hours into Persona 5 already. 😭 

Did a bit of Fortnite with my siblings. xD That was fun. Level 60! So happy I got the Kit skin because it's adorable. I mean, it's a kitten with a mech suit; what's not to love? 😆

Persona 5 Royal is still worth playing even though I nearly finished the original version (I haven't finished either though because I keep getting new games therefore I become easily sidetracked 😱). 

Fallout 76 (PC)

Just recieved the game for my bday (July 5th) and I played a bit of it. Not much though. Definitely liking the feel of it and so far it's better than Elder Scrolls Online.

ACNH (Switch)

Boy, I am soo excited about this latest update. It got me back into AC big time now. Been burning the midnight oil because of it.

I also got the new Spongebob Rehydrated game on Switch for my bday. It was the last one at Walmart (everywhere else was sold out for the Switch version and you couldn't order it online either unless you wanted the Digital Download which I don't do many of those). I haven't been able to play it yet but do have it downloaded. I might sit down and give it a go tonight. 🙂

52 minutes ago, EnviousEnvy said:

Persona 5 Royal is still worth playing even though I nearly finished the original version (I haven't finished either though because I keep getting new games therefore I become easily sidetracked 😱). 

Fallout 76 (PC)

Just recieved the game for my bday (July 5th) and I played a bit of it. Not much though. Definitely liking the feel of it and so far it's better than Elder Scrolls Online.

ACNH (Switch)

Boy, I am soo excited about this latest update. It got me back into AC big time now. Been burning the midnight oil because of it.

I also got the new Spongebob Rehydrated game on Switch for my bday. It was the last one at Walmart (everywhere else was sold out for the Switch version and you couldn't order it online either unless you wanted the Digital Download which I don't do many of those). I haven't been able to play it yet but do have it downloaded. I might sit down and give it a go tonight. 🙂

That Spongebob game looks amazing! Never played the original, but it totally looks like something which I would love! 

I just made a little bit more progress in Link's Awakening. I can be shockingly slow at figuring out where to go next. Just seem to stumble upon progress when I am gaming. Still really loving it though. Just got to the animal village this morning. 

Currently taking turns getting pissed off at every Sonic game for some reason. Breezed through Sonic Heroes until I got to the rail section of Final Fortress that DOESN'T FUCKING WORK! Try to switch rails and he just bugs out and flies off into the sunset.

Then I went to Sonic 2, just enjoying the hell out of it. But sure enough I got to that boss fight on Eggman's ship with the 3 spinning platforms w/spikes and just got my ass beat. Sonic just handles too poorly in tight spaces, it's easily one of my least favorite bosses in the whole series.

Overall, Heroes is an absolute gem (even if partially completely broken) and Sonic 2 is incredibly satisfying, if maybe too hard in the closing stages.

Edited by AlwaysSearching