What Did You Do In Gaming Today

EnviousEnvy

Started a new map in Cities: Skylines.  Not really going for anything, just relaxing.  I picked a nice, flat map with a bit of forest so I can have a mostly forestry-based (i.e. low-pollution) industrial sector, and so far I've been able to satisfy my power needs with wind and a minimal amount of conservation.  Everyone is happy, pollution is minimal, crime is low... if only this were the real world.  :D 

image.thumb.png.ffaede93f90a0bb3cb0c3daad9d81879.png

I spent the wee hours of the morning playing Jedi Fallen Order. It looks so pretty on my new TV!  Been cleaning house since I woke up that said. Cleaning out my closet. Threw out 3 bags of clothes, going to donate 5 bags. >_> My closet looks pretty roomy now.

The Hunter: CotW (Xbox)

Didn't even know there were Halloween missions in the game (was wondering why the animals were acting all possessed). So been busy doing the Halloween missions and just trying to level up.

The Hunter: CotW (Xbox)

Finally took down my first lion even though I am terrible at it. They are literally the only animal that can take my butt down in one hit aaaannnd they don't run away like most do. They actually charge at me O.o

Pokemon Sword (Switch)

Pretty sad to say I still haven't even attempted to go after Leon yet, lmao. This game has been sitting on the back burner for awhile so I just recently decided to come back and I got both the DLCs as well.

Fable II (Xbox)

Another game I have unfortunately forgot about until recently. I just defeated all of the rounds in the Crucible and if I want I can finally go to the spire but if I'm not mistaken that's the one mission that takes me away from my homeland for years where I defeat the boss then finally come home. The child (if you have one) will no longer be a baby and the main storyline is complete. I can't remember though and I could be wrong but if it is true I swear the game was longer than that, lol. 

On 12/9/2020 at 1:55 AM, EnviousEnvy said:

Fable II (Xbox)

Another game I have unfortunately forgot about until recently. I just defeated all of the rounds in the Crucible and if I want I can finally go to the spire but if I'm not mistaken that's the one mission that takes me away from my homeland for years where I defeat the boss then finally come home. The child (if you have one) will no longer be a baby and the main storyline is complete. I can't remember though and I could be wrong but if it is true I swear the game was longer than that, lol. 

It's true.

I did some Sims4 rebuilds yesterday.  Planning on playing Fallen Order tonight. Just so tired >_>

Planet Zoo (PC)

Spent most of the day on this game. What took the absolute longest to work on was the chimpanzee house (it was a pain in the ass). I took a break on the tropical theme part of the zoo and started working a bit on the arctic section before stopping for the day.

IMG_20201217_124132_621.thumb.jpg.c50e0a4c622c9cc2b297c9cbf3edb0d7.jpg

703080_screenshots_20201217023754_1.thumb.jpg.678743c0a5164c3d662e8d66ed526416.jpg

703080_screenshots_20201217023338_1.thumb.jpg.1703b8086a8081c19c86c4387ec2e678.jpg

Edited by EnviousEnvy

Downloaded and installed  the KSP v1.11 (and BG 1.6) update, "Some Assembly Required".  This basically adds the popular Kerbal Attachment System mod - the KAS of KIS/KAS - to the stock game mechanics. 

Now if I can just find some time to play.

Cyberpunk 2077 (Xbox)

I've only played a bit of this one other time and it was really blurry so I waited awhile until a few updates came out before trying again. Before it was unbelievably blurry but it was actually okay now. The FPS is still eh but at least it's playable. The bugs seem to have died down a bit as well but I'll find out more as soon as I dive deeper into this game. It's pretty cool despite the hate that it gets.

Snagged two games off of the Steam Sale today. Stardew Valley Jurassic World Evolution Deluxe Edition .  I have both for console ( Stardew on Switch and Jurassic World on PS4 & Xbox One) but I wanted all the updates for Stardew like now and I've played Jurassic Park Operation Genesis on PC back when that was popular and figured Jurassic World would be easier to play on PC and probably more to do on there than the console version. 

Digimon Story Cyber Slueth (Switch)

Jumping back into this again since it's been sitting on the back burner for quite awhile. Still on Chapter 2 but I am working on the side missions before continuing with the main ones.

• Like 1

My brother said he'd get in touch for a Christmas discord session as soon as he could wrangle the computer from the kids.  Thinking that might be a while :D so I decided to check out the latest version of KSP while I wait.  Started a new career & just doing the early game missions.  I can do these in my sleep at this point so really just kind of just kicking back.  Looks like the interesting new-to-this-version cargo-carrying parts are fairly high-tech and I'll have to level up a bit to start playing with those.  I did take Jeb on a flyby of the Mün already & I have enough cash to start upgrading the facilities.

screenshot39.thumb.png.471d3178ee8f892b1992d0dd521f570c.png

Jeb's always happy to see the parachute at the end of a mission.  :)

screenshot38.thumb.png.b34535a4073f8c9c90af8ad19d26d4d7.png

The Sims 4 (PC)

Spent around 7 hours decorating my Sims home that I recently moved them into. I also bought the rest of the expansions I was missing and almost all of the Stuff Packs. I also only need Journey To Batuu and then I have all the game packs as well. 

Besides gaming I also picked up Immortals Fenyx Rising for the Switch. Looking forward to that as well.

Planet Zoo (PC)

Added some more foliage to the Chimpanzee habitat as well as the Leopard habitat. Then started to go to work on the Polar Bear habitat but it isn't going the way I wanted it to so after 3 hours I decided to give up for the night.

Stardew Valley (PC)

I really prefer the PC version over the console simply because it's a lot easier to control and feels like it isn't limited. I really started working on the mines as soon as they opened up so I could find ore, bait, etc. 

Immortal Fenyx Rising (Switch)

Started this but didn't get far (it's already 3AM here, lol). Pretty much watched the intro, created my character and did some running around; nothing worth mentioning really. I do think the game is going to be fun (reminds me of Zelda BOTW).

11 hours ago, EnviousEnvy said:

Stardew Valley (PC)

I really prefer the PC version over the console simply because it's a lot easier to control and feels like it isn't limited. I really started working on the mines as soon as they opened up so I could find ore, bait, etc. 

👍  Same here.  My mom plays SV on her ipad & I've tried it.  I'd rather use the PC.  Not only for SV but for most things..  minecraft, pretty much anything that has mods available for it, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, efaardvark said:

👍  Same here.  My mom plays SV on her ipad & I've tried it.  I'd rather use the PC.  Not only for SV but for most things..  minecraft, pretty much anything that has mods available for it, etc.

I rarely use mods (with the exception of Fallout 4) for games. I honestly find the mouse and keyboard easier to use than a controller. I don't have to use the stupid d-pad or joystick to move in inventory and menus and select what I want (like Stardew), I can just use the mouse and scroll over to it lol. 

Also games like My Time At Portia only allows so many items on your land in console version (I believe 50 items max) while PC is unlimited I believe. I'm not sure if it's the same for other games like SD. 

Anyway, the option to have mods is nice but like I said I rarely use them (it ruins some of the fun with certain mods). 

1 hour ago, EnviousEnvy said:

Anyway, the option to have mods is nice but like I said I rarely use them (it ruins some of the fun with certain mods). 

That can definitely be a problem.  There's a mod for my fav Kerbal Space Program called "MechJeb".  It basically flies your spacecraft for you and there's endless "debate" in KSP forums about whether it saves or destroys the game.  I don't use MechJeb but there are some that I won't play without.  One of my long-standing must-haves is something called Kerbal Attachment System that allows you to build and repair minor stuff outside of the VAB (Vehicle Assembly Building).  The most recent version of the game included that feature in stock.  Of course I think that's extremely cool, but it does change the game play somewhat.  I haven't seen anyone yet go so far as to say it destroys the game but there's low-volume grumbles from some of the forum denizens.

Personally I don't really care what other people do to their own game.  I only care when people use outright "cheat" mods that let them do things like get all the arms/ammo/armor or see through or move through buildings in multiplayer arena-style games because that affects the game for other people.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Personally I don't really care what other people do to their own game.  I only care when people use outright "cheat" mods that let them do things like get all the arms/ammo/armor or see through or move through buildings in multiplayer arena-style games because that affects the game for other people.

For multi-player it drives me nuts when people cheat. Ruins the game for everyone honestly. COD is one of them.

Also I'm a member of this hunting game group on fb for The Hunter Call of The Wild and some people like to use mods to cheat in order to gain better stats and gain more hunting trophies then post them online like it's something to be proud of. I honestly don't get it.

Completed my first "successful" Mün landing of the new year!

(Jeb looks happy now, but just wait until he discovers all the snacks were in the cargo hold.)

screenshot55.thumb.png.03efcf5bc15908e6940bd9f0a105b6f3.png

Stardew Valley (PC)

Made it to day 12 of Spring (I believe). Finally was able to adopt a cat (meant to put "dog" as my preferred pet but not going to redo the game just for that; oh well). I've been going through the mines as well as expanding my farm and trying to win Sam's heart (went for Sebastian last time).

Jurassic World Evolution (PC)

Still working on the first island to get it to 3 stars. I honestly can't believe how lacking it is when it comes to creativity even on PC. I didn't even know Frontier made this game at first which is why I'm curious as to why it's so bland compared to Planet Zoo (I'm guessing Universal had something to do with it).

My SIL is trying to run cyberpunk 2077 on an old 4GB RX460 gfx card.  Needless to say it isn't working out well so I did a bit of GPU shopping for her on my lunch hour.  OMG these things are expensive🤯 I/we can't afford a gfx that costs more than the rest of the computer.  I mean, some of us out here are still working on making our first $million after all!

Anyway, looks like best bang-for-buck is probably the 3060ti, but good luck finding one in stock anywhere.  And if you do it'll still cost well over $400.  AMD's 5700xt also looks interesting.  Less performance but still respectable, and cheaper as well.  Might even be slightly better in the benchmark/$ metric than the 3060, especially since she already has an AMD processor that (I think.. have to check) is recent enough to enable the ~10% speed boost.  Again, good luck actually finding one in stock though.  Even the years-old RX580s and gtx 1060s are over $300.  The 1070s are over $500!

I have a trusty old (8GB) RX480 that I thought I'd upgrade too if I could find something good for a decent price.  Looks like I'll be keeping it for a while longer.  :(   I wish I could sell it.  Currently even my old card is selling on ebay for about $100 MORE than what I paid for it all those years ago.

Edited by efaardvark

Recently bought and played Call of Duty Cold War, I have the cross gen bundle by the way for PS4/PS5. Played the campaign first of course, I was hyped as heck for this campaign because fan loved characters were returning such as Mason, Woods and Hudson. Adler and the rest of the other cast were cool, I liked Adler the most when it came to new characters. The game played okay although many have reported bugs and freezes, thankfully none on my end. As for the multiplayer and zombies, I enjoyed what was there but I just wished more was at launch. Pretty good game in my opinion, I have a feeling I will play more of the game. 

Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS4)

I've only beaten the game once when it came out for PS3 so I decided to purchase both the first and second game for PS4 (it was on sale so why not? Lol). I doubt I'm gonna be able to get all the riddler question marks this time around since I forgot where they all were since then, lol. 

Animal Crossing NH (Switch)

Been a week or so since I've touched the game. Had to time travel back a few days so I didn't miss anything. Thinking I'm going to tear up my island again for spring time 😅

Fable II (Xbox One)

Beat the Spire quest so I think I believe I have one last mission after rescuing Garth from imprisonment. Not entirely sure however.

Elder Scrolls Online (Xbox One)

Decided to start over with a whole new character this time around (I know I do this every time I play. I'm going to try and commit to it this time 😅). I went Dark Elf this time around. I beat the tutorial and helped some chick get her stuff back after it was stolen.

Witcher 3 (Xbox One) 

Went slaying drowners for a bit before heading off to speak to the Bloody Barron. Told me that he had seen Ciri (*insert Cirilla gameplay here*) but before he would tell me where she went off to I had to make a deal to find his wife and daughter. This was as far as I got today. 

I FINALLY got a chance to play some more KSP for a couple hours today!  I'm playing a "hard" career game but I made excellent progress.  The contract gods were ultra nice to me and I was able to get two separate contracts to put up 2 "different" science bases, one in orbit around Kerbin and one around the Mün.  The common requirements for both were that it had to be a new design built after the contract is accepted, had to have an antenna and a science lab, had to be capable of generating power, and had to reach its specified orbit and hold it for 10 seconds.  One of the contracts required the science lab be staffed with two scientists and able to carry 11 kerbals total.  The other just required berths for 7 kerbals.  Both contracts came with $100k+ advances each and another $150k upon completion.

I took both contracts, used most of the advance and some science I'd had sitting on the books to unlock and buy some heavy-duty engines, then built a giant science station with a "little" extra mobility.  Put Jeb as pilot, Bill as engineer, Bob as one scientist, and "Minidou" - some wet-behind-the-ears grad student I grabbed off the street - as the second scientist.  :) Put it up in Kerbin orbit for a few orbits to gather some science for the science bay to grind on.  This satisfied the "10 seconds in orbit" part and finished that contract so I used the "extra" mobility (and half the fuel) to raise the orbit all the way to the Mün and do the same thing there, satisfying -that- contract as well.  Yay!

With the parts for the launcher for the science lab costing over $200k, total loss for the two contracts was nearly $100k even after completion bonus.  That's net after all the R&D paid for too.  The science part of the R&D I also had to spend out-of-pocket.

Wait!  Why is this good?  (I hear you ask.)  Well, the way science works in KSP is by visiting different moons/planets and performing experiments in orbit or on the surface in the various biomes you collect science points.  You can get about half the potential science from any given experiment by transmitting the results back via radio but if you can retrieve the experimental hardware itself back to Kerbin then you can get full science points.  Science returned to the R&D lab on (the home planet) Kerbin can be used to unlock better-quality equipment, or open up new areas of gameplay (such as off-planet mining).  More science therefore means you can buy better parts to build with, easier-to-control vehicles, longer range, more re-usability, better profits on future contracts, etc, etc.

Furthermore, if you have a Kerbal scientist who can collect the experimental results and a mobile science lab for him to work in then you can instead take the experimental data and research it in the lab.  This takes a loooooong time and it is a lot harder to get a big, heavy science lab (plus the batteries, fuel, solar panels, etc. to support it) up and going on an orbital station than it is to just send a probe with an antenna after some science, but it ultimately nets up to 5x the science points, which can then be transmitted to Kerbin via radio and used as above for R&D.

Naturally I included all the scientific gear I've unlocked to date on the orbital science lab, not just what was required by the contracts.  So long term the big win here is having the two contracts pay most of the cost to put up that science lab, with all the science-collecting gear, and a hefty enough propulsion system to be able to move itself to another location when all the science in one location has been collected.  As of KSP v1.11 I can even add new parts (such as new science instruments) to the station as I unlock them in the tech tree.  This is an investment that is going to pay off big-time later on.

In fact, right away it is starting to pay back the science I've invested.  I'd previously landed a probe on the Mün that had some surface science left on it after transmitting what I could.  I'd done well enough landing the probe initially that it still had enough dV to get to orbit (though not enough to get all the way back to Kerbin unfortunately) so I had it take off and rendezvous with the science station.  The engineer slapped a docking port on the probe and refuelled it while the scientists collected the experimental data and reset the science gear.  The science was added to the science lab.  (Work for the grad student. :)  )  So now the refurbished probe has enough dV to make at least 2 more landings, collecting and transmitting more science at each stop.   If the opportunity presents itself the lander might even bring back some of that surface science to the orbital lab.  Refurbishing and refuelling the existing probe in Münar orbit is probably saving me the cost of sending two or three new probes from the surface of Kerbin.

Even if I can't get more surface science via the probe, currently the science station is in a polar orbit collecting all the science it can without itself being able to land on the Mün.  There's still enough extra fuel in the station to eventually break orbit and head to Minmus, Kerbin's second moon as well.  There's another probe on Minmus that's in a similar situation to the one on the Mün so that's even more surface science, plus whatever the lab can collect from orbit.  The station won't have enough fuel to get back to Kerbin if I take it to Minmus but the plan is by the time it runs out of fuel and gets stuck in orbit there will be enough science data in the lab to keep it busy until I can unlock some of the mining parts.  Then I can get a refinery set up and can refuel it.  I had to launch the station with some empty tankage due to mass budget but with full tanks this science station will even be able to get to Duna.  Thinking ahead am I. 

If I can get the station to Duna then I've all but won the game.  I probably spent about 400 science to unlock the parts for the science lab, but I've already put enough data in the lab to eventually get back at least 3500.  All the science I've already obtained from Kerbin and the Mün plus what I'll be able to get from orbiting Minmus and Duna is enough to unlock almost the entire tech-tree if run through a science lab.  A couple odd asteroid return and outer-planet surface-science contracts (easy with high-tech parts) and that ought to make the whole tree available.  With all the high-tech parts unlocked I can go anywhere and do anything to satisfy any contract, even the "Omega Mission".. the ultimate contract to land a single vessel on 16 celestial bodies that's considered the end of KSP.  (Well, in the same way that fighting the Ender Dragon is the "end" of minecraft.  KSP is a sandbox so it never really ends.)

New science lab with refurbished probe still docked.....

screenshot78.thumb.png.bc38fb2a51d94c9934b6a86d40b37dc5.png