What Did You Do In Gaming Today

EnviousEnvy

The specs are (kind of) out on the new Valve Index VR headset, including the system specs needed to keep the thing well fed.  (Not an easy thing to do considering you're driving 2 HD displays running at between 90 and 144FPS.)  Fortunately my "old" Radeon RX480 gfx card squeaks in at the low end of the "required" specs.  (YES!)  I'd upgraded the rest of my system a while back, but I've been reluctant to upgrade my GPU since that's one of the fastest-depreciating parts of a PC these days and I'd yet to see solid gfx performance requirements from any of the headset makers.  Unless you have a real *need* to upgrade your GPU it is usually better to wait.  Prices will come down and/or performance will increase over time.  Looks like I can test out the VR waters with my existing system as is, without having to spend another $300 on a new gfx card.  That's good since the $1k price of a full set of Index gadgetry (headset, 2 hand controllers, and 2 base stations) is already giving me a mild case of sticker-shock.  😮 😭

Interesting that DisplayPort is required, as HDMI is "not supported".

Edited by efaardvark

Right now I'm waiting for steam summer sale so I can go on a spending streak I guess...

In the mean time I'm looking for games to put on my wishlist.
I came across Doom and read this review and It was just amazing.

"Yep, It's a survival horror game. You play as the horror, and the demons are trying to survive."

After a long time I installed Minecraft again and now I'm playing the Advent of Ascension mod with a friend.

Edited by Humbby
  • Silly 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

Sims 4 (PC)

Played a couple of hours on this. Got my Sim ranked as a Superstar now.

Stardew Valley (Switch)

A little over halfway in Fall and still trying to learn the Pumpkin Soup and Sashimi recipe to make Sebastian fall in love with me, lol.

Persona 5 (PS4)

Almost finished with Kaneshiro's palace. Been giving me one heck of a headache, lol.

• Funny 1

8 hours ago, EnviousEnvy said:

Stardew Valley (Switch)

A little over halfway in Fall and still trying to learn the Pumpkin Soup and Sashimi recipe to make Sebastian fall in love with me, 

Hehe, Seb was my first but Shane is my favorite :)

I've been playing my Sims4 run and building my first rocketship on my farm. Realized I could basically boost my aspiration points by cycling through the list every so often so I might have a money tree in my near future...not that I need it. My sim makes 2.5-3k a day from her farm and I haven't collected half of the plants I wanted.going to quit my job once I hit level 10...might start job hopping actually lol.

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

11 hours ago, Beocat said:

Hehe, Seb was my first but Shane is my favorite :)

I've been playing my Sims4 run and building my first rocketship on my farm. Realized I could basically boost my aspiration points by cycling through the list every so often so I might have a money tree in my near future...not that I need it. My sim makes 2.5-3k a day from her farm and I haven't collected half of the plants I wanted.going to quit my job once I hit level 10...might start job hopping actually lol.

When did Sims get a farming expansion pack? 😂😂😂

I'm still working on my Sims fame before having her settle down, get married and have a couple of kids. Her bf/future fiance works as an artist in the freelancer career.

I suck at marriages when it comes to games like Stardew Valley, Harvest Moon and Story of Seasons... Stardew appears to be the hardest. They actually make you work for it unlike the other ones. 😅

@Seshi Are you able to live without electricity and air conditioning for long periods of time?  :)  Honestly, my Sim loves it but suffers from lack of fun (when it storms and she's stuck inside is especially bad.  If I weren't grinded up the ladder at work all the time I imagine it wouldn't be a problem).  She needs to read more lol...

@EnviousEnvy  Haha, farming is really my dream so I live it out through my Sims it seems.  My first Sims on Sim4 were a writer and painter roommates and the writer planted a huge garden.  Then I got the Seasons and Laundry packs and decided that living the farming dream off grid wasn't out of reach anymore.  I ended up starting a new save game world and built myself a typical for NC old farming shack (and when I say old, I mean like the starter house my Grandparents started out in and what it would look like these days, not the grand big ones most think of in the country).  Ended up having about ~2.5k after making it left for my Sim with room for a workbench and a flower arrangement table in the attached outside room.  I ended up putting in curtains after a week or so in the game and a campfire and several more things...  This is the way the house was when I first started out.  It's slightly bigger now, with the workstations being under a terrace behind the house and the farm being to the left and back of the house (the rocketship being in the very back of the lot (which strangely acts as the front of the lot in the Gallery pictures).  Had to change my workstation room into a kid's room =/  Someday he'll age up and move out. Still, whenever I find a new plant to harvest, I plant 3 of them and sell the rest.  I've maxed out my gardening skill, got two bee houses (which auto-fertilize for me), and even though the changing seasons means most of my plants aren't active, I've got plenty for flower arranging and plenty to sell (and the super sell function once you hit level 7 or 8 of the gardening skill is awesome...sell everything in one go instead of individually harvesting them.  The job I'm keeping (as a gardner lol, now botanist), I'm keeping because I've never done that career line before.  I'm really loving it and I'm looking forward to my imminent retirement once I've hit the last step in my career and burned through my vacation days so I can sit back on my chair on my front porch and watch my garden grow.  :)

352210987_05-29-19_12-15-42AM.thumb.png.0ed396b31dd85c7ec41837d5df26738b.png

1638318956_05-29-19_12-16-09AM.thumb.png.9e2fa0d64c7a1cea2198b833a5fd6a85.png

800130706_05-29-19_12-16-35AM.thumb.png.91b21ae0ceefa1f038dccec995666fd1.png

1713975338_05-29-19_12-16-28AM.thumb.png.b9624b33fce02356d3142a0a99988a79.png

And now... (forgot to turn off the grid lol)

2117378029_05-29-19_12-58-03AM.thumb.png.d308a92cefcad172ce4c79c8a93f13c8.png

1504092891_05-29-19_12-58-26AM.thumb.png.069f0915a7fdc0fd25984bedb929f08c.png

123860510_05-29-19_12-58-40AM.thumb.png.73d8a7b58f915eeeb8c186e194e776ed.png

1599781642_05-29-19_12-59-18AM.thumb.png.74742f303fae77a5b72695af01115519.png

94668706_05-29-19_1-00-04AM.thumb.png.0bce971617a23e0da00e9db1196752df.png

742980452_05-29-19_12-59-53AM.thumb.png.28f2cb18e068ce22bcfb6d26d9f56db5.png

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Beocat said:

@Seshi Are you able to live without electricity and air conditioning for long periods of time?  :)  Honestly, my Sim loves it but suffers from lack of fun (when it storms and she's stuck inside is especially bad.  If I weren't grinded up the ladder at work all the time I imagine it wouldn't be a problem).  She needs to read more lol...

@EnviousEnvy  Haha, farming is really my dream so I live it out through my Sims it seems.  My first Sims on Sim4 were a writer and painter roommates and the writer planted a huge garden.  Then I got the Seasons and Laundry packs and decided that living the farming dream off grid wasn't out of reach anymore.  I ended up starting a new save game world and built myself a typical for NC old farming shack (and when I say old, I mean like the starter house my Grandparents started out in and what it would look like these days, not the grand big ones most think of in the country).  Ended up having about ~2.5k after making it left for my Sim with room for a workbench and a flower arrangement table in the attached outside room.  I ended up putting in curtains after a week or so in the game and a campfire and several more things...  This is the way the house was when I first started out.  It's slightly bigger now, with the workstations being under a terrace behind the house and the farm being to the left and back of the house (the rocketship being in the very back of the lot (which strangely acts as the front of the lot in the Gallery pictures).  Had to change my workstation room into a kid's room =/  Someday he'll age up and move out. Still, whenever I find a new plant to harvest, I plant 3 of them and sell the rest.  I've maxed out my gardening skill, got two bee houses (which auto-fertilize for me), and even though the changing seasons means most of my plants aren't active, I've got plenty for flower arranging and plenty to sell (and the super sell function once you hit level 7 or 8 of the gardening skill is awesome...sell everything in one go instead of individually harvesting them.  The job I'm keeping (as a gardner lol, now botanist), I'm keeping because I've never done that career line before.  I'm really loving it and I'm looking forward to my imminent retirement once I've hit the last step in my career and burned through my vacation days so I can sit back on my chair on my front porch and watch my garden grow.  :)

352210987_05-29-19_12-15-42AM.thumb.png.0ed396b31dd85c7ec41837d5df26738b.png

1638318956_05-29-19_12-16-09AM.thumb.png.9e2fa0d64c7a1cea2198b833a5fd6a85.png

800130706_05-29-19_12-16-35AM.thumb.png.91b21ae0ceefa1f038dccec995666fd1.png

1713975338_05-29-19_12-16-28AM.thumb.png.b9624b33fce02356d3142a0a99988a79.png

And now... (forgot to turn off the grid lol)

2117378029_05-29-19_12-58-03AM.thumb.png.d308a92cefcad172ce4c79c8a93f13c8.png

1504092891_05-29-19_12-58-26AM.thumb.png.069f0915a7fdc0fd25984bedb929f08c.png

123860510_05-29-19_12-58-40AM.thumb.png.73d8a7b58f915eeeb8c186e194e776ed.png

1599781642_05-29-19_12-59-18AM.thumb.png.74742f303fae77a5b72695af01115519.png

94668706_05-29-19_1-00-04AM.thumb.png.0bce971617a23e0da00e9db1196752df.png

742980452_05-29-19_12-59-53AM.thumb.png.28f2cb18e068ce22bcfb6d26d9f56db5.png

That's actually pretty sweet. Now that makes me want to do the same, lol. Would be awesome if they did an expansion pack for farming. I know that Tropical Paradise or whatever has been leaked but honestly with how lacking Sims 4 is (compared to Sims 3) I don't know how awesome it would be. 

• Agree 1

Oculus Quest.  Not top end specs-wise, but it can certainly give something like the PSVR some competition in the broader market.  Looks pretty easy to set up if you happen to be one of those people who are interested in the experience but don't happen to have a degree in computer science and/or EE, and though still expensive it isn't priced completely out of reach for the general consumer.  PSVR still probably has the better software library behind it though.

Stardew Valley (Switch)

Finally made it to my first winter... didn't realize they had it where you couldn't plant at all, ugh. Oh well, guess I'll have to make my money by fishing, lmao.

@EnviousEnvy you can still plant. If you level up your foraging skill, you'll eventually get the winter seeds recipe and you can use it to grow winter foragables on your farm in winter. It's the only winter crop you can have. Most people fish, spelunk, upgrade tools, and befriend villagers during winter. If you fix the Greenhouse you can use that as well.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 6:46 AM, Beocat said:

@EnviousEnvy you can still plant. If you level up your foraging skill, you'll eventually get the winter seeds recipe and you can use it to grow winter foragables on your farm in winter. It's the only winter crop you can have. Most people fish, spelunk, upgrade tools, and befriend villagers during winter. If you fix the Greenhouse you can use that as well.

Figured it out after awhile 😅😅

• Optimistic 1

"Testing" Kerbal Space Program after updating both my OS (to 19.04) and the game (to 1.7).  Just to make sure it all still works of course.  :D 

I also got the "Breaking Ground" DLC, mostly for the robotics.  There's a mod called Infernal Robotics that does pretty much the same thing, but I've tried it and it .. has issues.  Assuming Breaking Ground works as advertised it will be nice to have that functionality in stock.  Unfortunately I didn't get everything else done this weekend so I haven't installed it yet. 
Pole position for next weekend though.

screenshot0.thumb.png.f446efb7718ea28242fc93324cf25b39.png

Edited by efaardvark

@Beocat (tagging you instead of quoting the sim conversation we are/were having because it has gotten quite long with the pictures 🤣)

I'm still adding things/updating things in my Sims celebrity home. But so far I'm liking it, regardless of the fact it's still a bit lacking. lol.

06-03-19_1-13-48 PM.png

06-03-19_1-14-17 PM.png

06-03-19_1-14-49 PM.png

06-03-19_1-15-15 PM.png

06-03-19_1-15-45 PM.png

06-03-19_1-16-05 PM.png

06-03-19_1-16-22 PM.png

@EnviousEnvy  Ooh, that looks modern!  I really suck at "Modern" style builds.  I think if I lived on the west coast and saw more of them every day, it would be easier for me to work with lol.  I really like it actually.  Still, I think you are missing a driveway with a flashy sportscar/expensive Hummer/Jeep.  Every celebrity has a flashy ride, right?  What "kind" of celebrity is your Sim?  Internet celebrity, actor, musician?  I actually don't have the "Get Famous" pack.  I'm thinking the next one I'll probably do is City Living and Spa Day (making my Sim do Yoga would be pretty cool actually...wish they had a martial arts pack.  That'd be awesome!), but the Get Famous would be after that.  I jumped on the Sims4 bandwagon real late.  The Sims is probably the only game I actually enjoy from EA games these days.  I really need to upgrade my computer before Sims5 comes out, but I'm aiming for a Celestron Nexstar 8SE first so, the new computer is going on the backburner for now.

@Beocat My sim is an actor who recently made it to Global Superstar. Her boyfriend is an artist. The other day I had him and his dog move in with her (she had the bigger house) so there are some things that are different now (two desks, an easel, digital art tablet, etc.) The kids bedroom is done in orange right now because I wanted something somewhat gender neutral until she has a child (otherwise it will be a little weird to have a pink bedroom if she has a boy and I didn't want to wait to build the room later because then I'd probably have to change the entire design of my home, lol).

Edited by EnviousEnvy

Well, haven't gamed today...spent a good portion of my day sleeping, but two days ago I started a new Sim in Strangerville (always wanted to play Strangerville but wasn't inspired enough initially to leave my farm behind) and put her in the military career.  I made her very Cherokee looking and redesigned the trailer on Lot....42?(really, it needed a redesign).  My plan is to make her a MIB agent ^_^ Anyways, I planted a bizarre fruit, then after reading the blurb on it (which says you probably shouldn't eat it) I thought, 'what the heck? How bad could it be?'.  Well...I got possessed for around 4 hours from it (which was disturbing and hilarious at the same time...wish I had thought to take screenshots of her face LOL), but at least it maxed out my Sim's needs while being possessed lol.  The plan is to play out the Strangerville aspiration (always wanted to, but never had a Sim live there) and spy on the neighbors (with bugs) and just play a completely different playstyle from usual.  It's actually a lot of fun, and I've not even gotten that far into chasing my aspiration!

@EnviousEnvy  A good "kid's room" set up can sometimes be a "Junk room" filled with old boxes and laundry baskets and just junk that gets repurposed and cleaned up for a nursery later.  Every home I've lived in had a junk room (until I bought my house. I throw out my junk and nag my husband till he cleans up too.).  Even my parents had an unfinished room they stored junk in for about a decade.  They only finished it at my persistent urging (it was an unfinished bathroom/spare bedroom/mother-in-law suite with attached living room) and now it's become their spot for relaxation.  I tend to build basements once I've got the shell of the house the way I want them.  The shape of a basement doesn't matter as much (and the "natural lighting" lot trait will make your Sims real happy even without windows).  Did you see the Island Living reveal today?  And the mention of the Magic Realm pack for later release?  I know I said City Living ould by my next, but I can't pass up the Island Living one.  I already live at the beach and went diving yesterday (my sunburn from using a sunscreen lacking in power has made me very tired today), and I'm really interested in how it will play.  Hmm, does being an actor make you fairly rich from the gigs?  I just realized you might be able to get through the Mansion Baron's aspiration (I never have lol). 

The Sims 4 (PC)

796187250_06-09-19_9-49-37PM.thumb.png.47b0bca8de6186faa6683c7d40e0115c.png

Had my Sim couple invite a few friends over for their winter holiday. Even was able to visit their version of "Santa Clause". Honestly since my house in real life isn't quite finished I have been unable to really decorate for holidays therefore I make due with the Sims game, lol.

Stardew Valley (Switch)

I haven't done much on this as of late with exception of maybe 30 minutes to an hour, at most today. 

@Beocat I'll admit I have a junk room at the moment, well honest my whole house is probably a junk room because we are in the middle of a remodel so it's a bit chaotic at the moment so to speak, lolol. Anyway, yes I've been keeping myself up to date ever since it was leaked. Honestly, I'm hoping they bring boat houses back even if the deep ocean diving isn't. That's what drew me to the expansion back in Sims 3. I love me some boat houses... if they don't I'm going to be seriously depressed. I mean, I'll still play it but I may have to resort to going back to Sims 3 for my boat house fix, lol.

Didn't get to play anything at all this weekend.  :(  I was hoping I'd at least get a few minutes to play with the KSP expansion I just installed, but instead had to get a new pump motor for the swamp pool out back and visit with a financial planner yesterday*, then today it was shopping for a cover for said motor and do some yardwork (in 100-degree heat) to clear brush and grass from around the pump/filter area.

*for 4 freekin' hours.. and he didn't even make me a millionaire.. just kind of giggled when I mentioned retirement

The Sims 4

Had long time lovers Harry Gavin (Freelancer: Artist) and Vivian Lockwood (Actress) get engaged on the New Years holiday. 

Other than that haven't done much gaming... Been doing some major cleaning and my fiance has been hogging the TV 🤣.

Sims4  -  Grabbed a bunch of stuff on sale (to get the sale price, I had to buy it all individually instead of bundling..the bundle was more expensive than the sale prices!) so now I have City Living, Vampires, Spa Day and some stuff packs and now I'm just waiting for the Island Living pack.  I started up a new game and made a girl, evil/geek/snob (my first snob ever lol...she's so happy hanging out with other snobs) and made an old Victorian style home in Forgotten Hollow to put her in and proceeded to turn her into a Vampire.  She's a freelancer programmer and I can't believe the money she's raking in.  Being a vampire makes it super lucrative too.  Her "needs" to keep her fairly happy are minimal as a vampire so she just keep churning out the gigs and stacking up her finances!  I'm thinking about playing some Stardew later but I still want to try apartment living too.  I might start up a family in the City and see were it goes.