Higurashi: Onikakushi-hen arc: review

SAO LILDOOP

So I just finished reading the Higurashi Onikakushi-hen arc; It was amazing!

Notes on art/text: The art was great, it seemed a little bit un-detailed at times, but I feel it was supposed to. It makes it all the more enjoyable when the crazy panels come up, the facial expressions which were my favourite part of the anime are just as good in the manga; they really send chills down my spine.

I saw there were a few reused panels, this didn't bother me although it could be seen as lazy; the panels were okay for reuse its just not something I expected to see.

The fonts and different colours around the texts were very helpful! I find the most annoying thing when reading manga is getting confused because text boxes pop up not telling you who is speaking and are all the same colour and font as everyone else's texts. The text are different upon voice changes, phone calls and even some characters in this manga and that was very refreshing to see.

Manga to Anime comparison: Now I have not seen the Higurashi anime in over a year, so I may not remember it all correctly or as accurately as my mind tells me. However in my honest opinion, I found the Onikakushi-hen arc in the manga to be a little better than that of the anime.

My reasons for this are, the manga developed/showed the relationship between Keichii and Rena much better. In the anime I got the feeling they were just friends, however when reading the manga you can tell they both like each other very much and I totally ship them! (Maybe, Mion x Keiichi great as well). This honestly though was the only thing that it had a one-up on the anime on imo, other than that it was as good as the anime except for a few minor things; for example, the anime does a better job of keeping you all tensed up and scared for your favourite characters. Seeing as at the end of the manga, Rika says "Don't worry Satoko, we will be seeing Keichii and the others soon" in response to Satoko's tears of grief. This shines a little hope on the subject and reassures fans, I would rather they had left it more obscure and as more a cliff-hanger although it was still a cliff-hanger. Rena's "cute mode" I feel is a little more over exaggerated in the manga than in the anime, although that really depends on the individual to say whether it is a pro or a con.

There is also one more thing In the anime that was not in the anime, it wasn't bad but it did not seem necessary; when Keichii was running for his life from Rena and she was telling him how she wanted to help him, he ran into two guys and got gut-punched, I do not remember this happening in the anime and I don't feel it needed to be in the manga although I guess if I had read the manga first I would be saying it should have been in the anime considering the manga was first, lol. But yea, the anime was better with the technical things imo and the manga was only a little better than the anime due to its representation of Rena X Keichii. ♥

Edited by SAO LILDOOP