The Anime Dealer

awesomedude20

Question

The Anime Dealer

Hello! Man, forgot how much I hated this thread name, but I used it once in the past, may as well take a walk down memory lane.

I'm very new to this here forum (as of the posting of this thread) but one thing that you do need to know about me, is that I love to recommend anime! Could do it all day, seriously.

So while as of right now I'm still seeing if I'll stick around for the long run on this forum, I figured I'd do a little test run for myself.

I DO have a much nicer thread thing lined up, and it has proven to be a hit in the past, but it requires a ton of work to get started and I'm just really not feelin' it right now.

SO, in it's stead I have made this janky little thing.

Basically, I'll probably make the good thread and shut this one down once I'm in the mood to do so, but until then, feel free to hit me up for some anime ;) Oh and uh, my apologies in advance, but I won't be limiting my recommendations specifically to certain streaming sites. As I've just left the (now very much deleted) KissAnime forum, I'm simply very used to everyone having equivalent access to all anime ;D Even if I WERE to limit myself to legal streaming sites, I wouldn't be able to recommend some great anime because they quite literally do not exist legally, with English subs.

I hope you get what I mean ;D ANYWAYS, on with the recommendations. I should be checking back kinda frequently.

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

21 answers to this question

Ya ikr, we're all illegally watching anime.. Lmaooo

But I don't think the government is really going to give any f*cks about it anytime soon😜

and nice thread name btw, it's what caused me to click on the post because it sounded interesting and original Lol

Edited by Sasazaki Chan
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Sasazaki Chan said:

Ya ikr, we're all illegally watching anime.. Lmaooo

But I don't think the government is really going to give any f*cks about it anytime soon😜

and nice thread name btw, it's what caused me to click on the post because it sounded interesting and original Lol

I suppose it makes me sound like a drug dealer. but for anime. both in illegal forms. *confetti*

32 minutes ago, AntonGirdeux said:

I could use some recommendations

Cool :P

Action: Senki Zesshou Symphogear (4 seasons of glorious, over the top action. Season 1 is debatable, but oh man, season 2 onwards is worth.)

Romance: Gosick

Drama: One Week Friends (make sure that you DO NOT watch this as a romance, it's a friendship thing.)

Comedy: Ghost Stories (Explicitly the dub, no questions asked. Here's why.)

Psychological: Ghost Hound (watch wearing headphones, sound effects are a massive part of the experience.)

How about a thriller?

I love anime thrillers, they're my favorite kind.

I'm currently watching Hell Girl, and I've already seen Death Note twice, Mirai No Nikki, Terror in Resonance, Attack on Titan, and I do not plan on watching Tokyo Ghoul anytime soon. I want something mysterious, creepy, and suspenseful and not just bloodshed and gore. This is why Death Note has been watched twice.

5 hours ago, Sasazaki Chan said:

How about a thriller?

I love anime thrillers, they're my favorite kind.

I'm currently watching Hell Girl, and I've already seen Death Note twice, Mirai No Nikki, Terror in Resonance, Attack on Titan, and I do not plan on watching Tokyo Ghoul anytime soon. I want something mysterious, creepy, and suspenseful and not just bloodshed and gore. This is why Death Note has been watched twice.

Ghost Hound is riiiight up your alley.

• Like 1

How about some horror? Preferably more on the psychological side (but I am willing to expand my horizons). Or even just something psychological! 

(Nothing like Tokyo Ghoul though. I’ve seen it, I don’t understand the hype, I find it to be very boring)

17 minutes ago, Kohloo said:

How about some horror? Preferably more on the psychological side (but I am willing to expand my horizons). Or even just something psychological! 

(Nothing like Tokyo Ghoul though. I’ve seen it, I don’t understand the hype, I find it to be very boring)

Don't worry, I find TG boring too lol.

Try Ghost Hound as well. Watch it with headphones though, adds to the spooky aspect a TON. You could also try Shiki, it can be genuinely creepy too.

If you want a gore horror though, try Corpse Party: Tortured Souls, or Blood-C. I can't say any of them are great story-wise, but oh god, they nail the gore.

If you want something that's both a little creepy, and bloody, but not TOO bloody, you could go for Another. As in, it's called "Another". I hate the name.

As I mentioned Blood-C up there, I'm obligated to mention Blood+. It's effectively an alternate universe version of Blood-C, with 50 episodes, no gore at all, just some blood, and a MUCH better story. Treat them as separate anime, but choose which one you're more in the mood for.

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

4 hours ago, awesomedude20 said:

Don't worry, I find TG boring too lol.

Try Ghost Hound as well. Watch it with headphones though, adds to the spooky aspect a TON. You could also try Shiki, it can be genuinely creepy too.

If you want a gore horror though, try Corpse Party: Tortured Souls, or Blood-C. I can't say any of them are great story-wise, but oh god, they nail the gore.

If you want something that's both a little creepy, and bloody, but not TOO bloody, you could go for Another. As in, it's called "Another". I hate the name.

As I mentioned Blood-C up there, I'm obligated to mention Blood+. It's effectively an alternate universe version of Blood-C, with 50 episodes, no gore at all, just some blood, and a MUCH better story. Treat them as separate anime, but choose which one you're more in the mood for.

Thanks! I keep seeing Another pop up, but I have yet to watch it (I have read the manga though and enjoyed it). I’ll probably pass on Corpse Party: Tortured Souls and Blood-C though. I’ll look more into Ghost Hound and Shiki (I’m really curious about the sound effects of Ghost Hound). And I’ve already seen Blood+ (for the longest time I’d get confused if someone was talking about Blood-C because my brain would keep changing it to Blood+ haha)

7 hours ago, Kohloo said:

Thanks! I keep seeing Another pop up, but I have yet to watch it (I have read the manga though and enjoyed it). I’ll probably pass on Corpse Party: Tortured Souls and Blood-C though. I’ll look more into Ghost Hound and Shiki (I’m really curious about the sound effects of Ghost Hound). And I’ve already seen Blood+ (for the longest time I’d get confused if someone was talking about Blood-C because my brain would keep changing it to Blood+ haha)

Cool :P I don't blame you for passing on the gory ones, Blood-C is a rare anime that I recommend without actually having seen it myself. Corpse Party however, I have seen, and I will support that it is REALLY good at doing what it wants to do, and that is be a gore horror. It is exactly what you can expect from a western horror B-film. Lots and lots and lots of blood, with stupid characters dying in ridiculous ways. As brutal as it is, it's a lot of fun if you're in the mood for that sort of thing :P

Regardless, enjoy ^.^ I'll mention that I do much prefer the sub for Ghost Hound. The dub is actually oddly passable, it's just they seem to lack emotion while also conveying all the emotion they need to. It's really hard to describe e.e As a bonus thing to do though, a dark room adds to the experience as well :P Not as much as the headphones, but it's as thing ;)

As for Shiki as well, if you haven't yet, don't read its genre tags. it's teeeechnically a spoiler. Not a big one, and it's fairly obvious where it's heading, but it IS technically a spoiler. My bad for not mentioning that first, I wasn't thinking about it.

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

47 minutes ago, Something Crazy said:

Any isekai/fantasy or contemporary/modernistic anime/manga you could recommend? Lol, so many slashes...

Flip Flappers is a great half isekai. The two main characters wind up going to a whole bunch of different worlds throughout the show. Very episodic, but the final arc is a pretty solid finale for it. It also entirely naile the fantasy aspect.

Can't say I know anything for contemporary/modernistic though, of only because I'm not entirely sure what you mean lol

10 hours ago, AniMeFReaK said:

Gimme your best romance anime!

Clannad (and Clannad After Story. Admittedly, season 1 is MUCH more of a drama/comedy so watch it as such, but season 2 is where the romance is at, and it isn't #14 on MAL for no reason)

ef: a tale of memories. (DO NOT confuse this with the optional second season "ef:  tale of melodies." You can watch it if you want, but I didn't find it to be nearly as good.)

Tsuki ga Kirei (an extremely realistic romance that portrays the age of the characters, in this day and age, basically perfectly. You'll be able to relate a hell of a lot more if you grew up attached to your phone.)

13 hours ago, awesomedude20 said:

Clannad (and Clannad After Story. Admittedly, season 1 is MUCH more of a drama/comedy so watch it as such, but season 2 is where the romance is at, and it isn't #14 on MAL for no reason)

ef: a tale of memories. (DO NOT confuse this with the optional second season "ef:  tale of melodies." You can watch it if you want, but I didn't find it to be nearly as good.)

Meh, those two are harem. I dislike harem anime.

Gimme more recommendations, and make sure they're shoujo-romance anime!

Edited by AniMeFReaK

11 hours ago, AniMeFReaK said:

Meh, those two are harem. I dislike harem anime.

Gimme more recommendations, and make sure they're shoujo-romance anime!

Whoawhoawhoa, hold the fuck up XD

Clannad is absolutely not a harem, at MOST it's a love triangle for a very brief period.

ef: a tale of memories is even further from a harem. There's a bunch of girls because the show follows 2 completely separate MCs, each of which have a very obvious focus on just one girl, and ONE of those MCs happens to be in a love triangle as well, but because it's ef, they handled it super well and it wasn't annoying.

Not to mention that both Clannad and ef have full, proper, VERY satisfying endings, so that's a thing. I can give you more if you really want, but I assure you, you'll kick yourself later if you pass on these ones.

Edit: Not to mention that ef is made by studio Shaft. and Shaft makes good shit. Y'know, the Monogatari people? The art direction alone makes the thing worth watching lol

Edited by awesomedude20

I agree that After Story probably isn't harem, but you'll never convince me that Clannad (1st season) isn't.  Type "harem" into any anime search engine and it'll be there, so I'm not the only one either.  In fact, this is the first time I've seen anyone try to claim it isn't.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

I agree that After Story probably isn't harem, but you'll never convince me that Clannad (1st season) isn't.  Type "harem" into any anime search engine and it'll be there, so I'm not the only one either.  In fact, this is the first time I've seen anyone try to claim it isn't.

Well how are we defining harem here? Yes, the MC is surrounded by girls, but as I said, the entire show focuses on the romance between him and one girl, with a bit of a love triangle thing for another girl, but she backs off.

If we're simply saying that it's a harem because there's a dude surrounded by women, then yes it's a harem. But that's not how I personally define harem anime. For it to be a harem, every girl in the "harem" needs to have an actual romantic interest in the protagonist. By the surrounded by women thing, that makes Little Busters a harem too ('-' ) Kubikiri Cycle too. Punch Line as well.

But Little Busters has VERY minimal romantic focus until the second season, and even then it isn't a ton, but the MC is surrounded by a large majority of the main cast being female.

Kubikiri Cycle has a spot of romance in it, and only once. The rest is pure mystery, and all the women don't overly give a shit about the MC. Yet, he is surrounded by women.

Punch Line is in the same boat as Kubikiri Cycle, it perhaps plays with romance once or so, but in the end, there's so little romantic stuff between the MC and the women he's surrounded by, I find it hard to count.

Going back to Clannad and reiterating, yes there's a big romance focus, and perhaps the visual novel allowed you to have any of the girls have a thing for you, the anime itself focused on one, and one alone, with a second VERY obviously-not-going-anywhere second character being kinda interested.

Point is, I find it silly to define a harem as simply being surrounded by women.

Edit: also, I have failed to find anywhere where I can type in "harem" and find Clannad (._. ) Even on bigger anime sites that support that type of search.

Edited by awesomedude20

Nah, Clannad isn't a harem. In the anime, there are several girls, but only two of them actually like him romantically. The others are just on friendly terms. They all have their respective routes in the VN, but this isn't about the VN.

I think we are all starting to get just a touch off topic here. Maybe a forum member who is heavily invested in harems or romance should make a new "what is a harem?" thread/survey like I did with Magical Girls to really delve into this properly (without completely derailing @awesomedude20's Recommendation thread). Just a suggestion. 

@AniMeFReaK ever seen Brighter than the Dawning Blue? It is not what I'd consider the best, but it is enjoyable (and has a slight Space Opera flair towards the end). Sometimes I guess I just enjoy the simple ones :) I really can't remember if it has a harem in it. I watch Romance probably less than most other genres....

Edited by Beocat
  • Agree 1