REQUESTING ANIME RECOMMENDATIONS

Andy Arkady

Question

So basically I wanted to ask for any recommendations, I am very interested in pseudo philosophical and psychological sci fi. I loved Ergo Proxy, the project itoh movies and serial experiments lain. I also loved anime such as made in the abyss, welcome to the N.H.K, guilty crown, darker than black and overlord. Put simply I like non-meta anime whereby the anime feels like a product of the writer's vision rather than something the studio pushed to earn safe money. 

eagerly waiting :D

Genki_Promo_image.jpg

19 answers to this question

Kuuchuu Buranko is the show for you. It's about people going to a psychiatric ward to be treated for various mental ailments like anxiety disorders and OCD. Also, just look at this.

image.png.59346521f11cf81480b284bdbe3d244a.png
image.png.58df5c841de230076fd5789eb4d88062.png
image.thumb.png.c86a40a615f48265a78a39628990343a.png
image.thumb.png.d3508e3b182883a8a42d0ffa39290108.png

How about things like Zetsuen no Tempest (Blast of Tempest) or Zankyou no Terror (Terror in Resonance).  Maybe also Higashi no Eden (Eden of the East)?  Not the movie though.  Or maybe The Third: Aoi Hitomi no Shoujo (The Girl with the Blue Eye).  Any of those seem interesting?  Just throwing out ideas to see what resonates.

1 hour ago, Beocat said:

@efaardvark is our forum member to really ask when it comes to scifi

Maybe for the "hard" sf.. I'm into stuff that might really be possible.  GitS or Planetes more than Log Horizon or Overlord.  Not that I didn't watch and enjoy all of those, just that I'm more interested in the former than the latter.

4 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

How about things like Zetsuen no Tempest (Blast of Tempest) or Zankyou no Terror (Terror in Resonance).  Maybe also Higashi no Eden (Eden of the East)?  Not the movie though.  Or maybe The Third: Aoi Hitomi no Shoujo (The Girl with the Blue Eye).  Any of those seem interesting?  Just throwing out ideas to see what resonates.

Maybe for the "hard" sf.. I'm into stuff that might really be possible.  GitS or Planetes more than Log Horizon or Overlord.  Not that I didn't watch and enjoy all of those, just that I'm more interested in the former than the latter.

I don't really see Overlord or Log Horizon as scifi. To me those two are straight up fantasy (and I love em too). But yeah, you seem to like scifi like I like Space Opera and Reverse Harems. You definitely have a better grasp on the scifi pulse than most of us here from what I've seen. If you ever want a RH or SO recommendation however...look me up ;)

1 minute ago, Beocat said:

I don't really see Overlord or Log Horizon as scifi

Yeah, though sometimes it is only a matter of setup.  SAO is straight up fantasy, except they threw in the Nerve Gear as plot device.  It's all good.  The story is what counts.

You may get a ton of enjoyment out of the "Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei" series.

It's the smartest pure comedy I've seen, nothing else is quite like it AT ALL.

As an example, there's a murder in the area, the teacher mentions this to his students and to stay safe, so the comically optimistic student yells out "A murder? Don't be ridiculous! Those only happen on the news or on the radio, something so dangerous couldn't possibly exist so close to home!"

And you chuckle.

And then realize that's how most people think.

This, just ONE of the various OPs, should scream just how eccentric the show is.

• Like 1

I really recommend Code Geass. 

Its a great anime and has your taste. It’s about a war with mecha and I won’t spoil it. I love this anime as I have watched it over and over again. It’s just great. Has a mad plot aswell. 

The entire filmography of Satoshi Kon will likely be to your taste, with the possible exception of Tokyo GodfathersPerfect Blue, Paprika, Paranoia Agent, etc. all fit right into that space.

Also, you might enjoy Boogiepop Phantom.  Personally, I didn't think it amounted to much, but it's in that vein plus some horror elements.  Definitely a weird one, plus it has a cool industrial soundtrack that makes it worthwhile even in its less interesting moments.

14 hours ago, Beocat said:

Psycho PASS.... Steins Gate....Madoka...

seen it, but those are definitely up my alley

6 hours ago, awesomedude20 said:

You may get a ton of enjoyment out of the "Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei" series.

looks like my kinda show, thanks dude

gonna start with 

Kuuchuu Buranko

then

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

followed by monogatari or that hella big movie set, thats like fate/stay

finishing off with the girl with the blue eyes (third)

On 5/31/2018 at 3:07 PM, Andy Arkady said:

seen it, but those are definitely up my alley

gonna start with 

Kuuchuu Buranko

then

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

followed by monogatari or that hella big movie set, thats like fate/stay

finishing off with the girl with the blue eyes (third)

Good choice. tell us what you think of it. If you like the general storytelling style, we know a few more shows like it. Although they don't have the crazy art.

Edited by the_twig

On 5/31/2018 at 10:12 AM, Whom said:

The entire filmography of Satoshi Kon will likely be to your taste, with the possible exception of Tokyo GodfathersPerfect Blue, Paprika, Paranoia Agent, etc. all fit right into that space.

Also, you might enjoy Boogiepop Phantom.  Personally, I didn't think it amounted to much, but it's in that vein plus some horror elements.  Definitely a weird one, plus it has a cool industrial soundtrack that makes it worthwhile even in its less interesting moments.

yeah bro i love satoshi kon, i think his style of editing is ground breaking, additionally he makes psychological anime scarier than hollywood horrors :D

unfortunately ive seen all of his stuff