Manga Suggestions?

Kunoichifox

I've seen Marmalade by and Fruits Basket around but I haven't looked into them too much as I've been busy with the other manga I'm reading . . . as well as some books and about 18 (15 currently releasing , Naruto [catching up] , One piece [started last month , I', about 300 episodes through] and 1 re-watch) anime series that I'm watching but I will be sure to check them out by next week , Thanks for the suggestions :P

And yeah I am studying to be a teacher:P

Glad to help. Oh and the other recommendation, +Anima. I highly recommend this underrated series.

It deals with being an outcast, similar to the X-Men I guess or even something like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. You know, people fear them or ostracize them because they're "different".

This story stars a 12 or 11-year-old boy named Cooro. He is what you call a +Anima. It tends to affect children most, this condition. Usually, if in a bad or life-threatening situation, children tend to gain the abilities or the spirit of an animal of some sort. For Cooro, he's a crow. He's an interesting character, but...you don't actually get inside his head much or know what he's truly feeling about certain things. He's the type that lets people choose their own paths and make up their own minds and never presses matters. He's on a quest to find more +Anima for a reason that's not revealed until later in the story. Cooro is also very open about his +Anima status and doesn't always hide his wings and other "crow" traits. In other words, he's 100% content with being a +Anima and claimed he was "born a +Anima" which is strange.

Along the way, he meets up with three others. A boy named Husky (he has a fish +Anima). Cooro sees that he was captured and rescued him and they started to travel together. He's a year younger than Cooro and is very serious with a love for jewels. You discover how he became a fish +Anima and how he seems to know a lot about jewels as the series goes on. One thing Husky does hate, though, is being mistaken for a girl because of his feminine looks. He also hates women and girls, probably because he gets mistaken as one so often and for another reason revealed later on which is connected to how he gained his +Anima.

Senri is the next one they meet. He's 16 and is part of a tribe called the Kim-un-kur (sp?) who actually praises +Anima and embraces it if someone becomes one. Roughly based on Native Americans. He has a bear +Anima. The way he got his is very tragic and sad and because of the trauma, he has a very poor memory and doesn't speak very much, but he's super strong and a great cook. You find out more about his story as it goes on. In order for Senri to remember things, he carries around a book and puts pressed flowers into it. It helps to trigger a memory. You find out as the story goes on how he even came to receive that book and how the notion was used to keep things as keepsakes in the book.

The last to join the group is Nana, who is the same age as Husky. These two clash at first because of Husky's dislike of girls and because Nana actually stole Husky's pearl necklace he was keeping (in case they needed money). Nana has a bat +Anima. Her story was a sad one too and the ironic thing about Nana is that she doesn't like the dark, despite her having a bat as a +Anima. Husky has a slight fear of water too, despite having a fish +Anima.

The group is traveling, trying to find a place to call home. In their world, +Anima are discriminated against and in some parts, are kept as slaves. The kids end up doing odd jobs for money from time to time, but occasionally end up in certain situations.

It was said that children to eventually lose their +Anima, when it 's no longer needed for them to "survive".

+Anima sounds amazing (o^.^o)
Yeah, it's an interesting series. I highly recommend to not only you, but anyone who's interested in the series with these types of matters.

My only gripe with this series is that...it ended. lol I wish there was more to it. I own all ten volumes of this series. I first came across it when I was assistant teaching at my former middle school about seven years ago. While sitting in the library with one of the students, who had to make up a test, I decided to look at one of the books out of boredom and was surprised to see comics/manga there. Never were there comics when I was a student there when I was a kid. I saw the first volume with a boy on the cover which gave off a slight Native American look and just started reading it and was hooked. Right after work that day, I went directly to the Barnes & Noble and looked this series up and bought all the volumes they had released at that time. So....yeah. lol

Yeah, it's an interesting series. I highly recommend to not only you, but anyone who's interested in the series with these types of matters.

My only gripe with this series is that...it ended. lol I wish there was more to it. I own all ten volumes of this series. I first came across it when I was assistant teaching at my former middle school about seven years ago. While sitting in the library with one of the students, who had to make up a test, I decided to look at one of the books out of boredom and was surprised to see comics/manga there. Never were there comics when I was a student there when I was a kid. I saw the first volume with a boy on the cover which gave off a slight Native American look and just started reading it and was hooked. Right after work that day, I went directly to the Barnes & Noble and looked this series up and bought all the volumes they had released at that time. So....yeah. lol

Wow, now you make me want to start reading it. It was actually suggested by another person I knew online before, but I had so much in my backlog, ontop of the fact that he didn't personally recommend it to me, but just wrote a review and said it was good. I should be able to start it within the next few days and see how I like it.

Wow, now you make me want to start reading it. It was actually suggested by another person I knew online before, but I had so much in my backlog, ontop of the fact that he didn't personally recommend it to me, but just wrote a review and said it was good. I should be able to start it within the next few days and see how I like it.
Yay! Join the dark side. lol

It would be nice to have some others to talk about +Anima with and I'm willing to reread it again...albeit online since my copies are stateside...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...