Anime theme games that are worth getting?

seemore_bhutts

So I'm kinda dry on single player games at the moment and would like some new games to play. 

Does anyone know of any anime related Steam games, or any single player games that I should try at all!

May we all brave through the incoming Steam Summer Sale!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, seemore_bhutts said:

So I'm kinda dry on single player games at the moment and would like some new games to play. 

Does anyone know of any anime related Steam games, or any single player games that I should try at all!

May we all brave through the incoming Steam Summer Sale!

one i recently played that was anime-themed was tokyo xanadu eX+

its kind of like persona meets trails of cold steel meets Y's series ?

art style and graphics/interface is very similar to trails of cold

battle is very similar to Y's series

and story is somewhat like persona 4 (investigations and stuff)

but dont expect it to exactly like persona (e.g day by day, march 1 -> 2, itll time skip you a week once you solve a case)

other game worth getting (atleast if your playing with other friends) is 100% juicy yuuji orange juice

its a board-game-dice-anime-ish game which is kind of fun playing with friends and okay-ish for single player (and its cheapish, around 4eur atm?, and its not discounted yet)

Edited by XII360
  • Informative 1

Yes, we do. So first off, we'll just reiterate that we're two people, just so you understand this next statement if you weren't aware.

Go play the best/second best (slight disagreement) game series ever made: The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. It's a series of three JRPGs from 2004, 2006, and 2007 set in a magical version of the 50s. (Magical isn't quite the right word, but it's close enough.)

You play as Estelle Bright, and her brother Joshua, who are Junior Bracers (effectively police officers), and you trek around the country of Liberl. It is one of the ONLY pieces of media that we've come across that has done modern fantasy properly, integrating the magic into society and technology.

The gameplay is mostly instanced grid based combat, with you walking around, talking to people for the rest of the time like any other JRPG. The thing that really sets it's combat apart though is the customisation of abilities. You know how Final Fantasy 7 had those Materia things that let you slightly tweak your stats and abilities? It's like that, but the entire game is built around it. Different combinations of Quartz (the Materia type items) unlock different Arts (spells), as well as giving you passive buffs (and a few debuffs on some of them).

There's rather a lot of dialogue (The second game took 5 years to translate, with a proper budget and everything), fleshing out the world, the characters, and even the random NPCs. Almost all of the NPCs say something different if you talk to them twice in a row, and then change their dialogue whenever you complete a major event. The NPCs have lives of their own that you can explore. For example there's a shopkeeper in the first town called Rinon. He's known Estelle since she was a kid, and is her go to man for buying Strega brand sneakers. He's really struggling to find a wife though, and his mother, Bloom tries to set him up with various girls around town. There's also a couple who you can talk to a few times. They start off as newlyweds, go on their honeymoon, get into an argument, split up, get back together, and then the man has an affair. They're just random people with generic character models that you don't even have to talk to, but they tell a story if you do. Almost every character in the game has a story like that.

As for the main characters, lets just say that Estelle is the best MC ever, and that there's a pansexual foreigner with a lute who drinks an awful lot of wine, and that they put the fact that he had more dialogue as a main selling point of the second game. Seriously.
image.png.734ab1ccb071fce536831336448beda3.png

If we haven't just babbled on about a fantasy world for long enough to convince you, then have some music. Just don't read the comments.

The main battle theme of the first game.

Some more battle music.

Some dungeon music.

You can pick up the first game on Steam for about £13, which is really pretty cheap. Make sure to play Trails in the Sky. There's another, newer series called Trails of Cold Steel, that is just straight up not as good in basically every way. Including graphics and music (we think anyway).

Edited by the_twig
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, the_twig said:

Yes, we do. So first off, we'll just reiterate that we're two people, just so you understand this next statement if you weren't aware.

Go play the best/second best (slight disagreement) game series ever made: The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. It's a series of three JRPGs from 2004, 2006, and 2007 set in a magical version of the 50s. (Magical isn't quite the right word, but it's close enough.)

You play as Estelle Bright, and her brother Joshua, who are Junior Bracers (effectively police officers), and you trek around the country of Liberl. It is one of the ONLY pieces of media that we've come across that has done modern fantasy properly, integrating the magic into society and technology.

The gameplay is mostly instanced grid based combat, with you walking around, talking to people for the rest of the time like any other JRPG. The thing that really sets it's combat apart though is the customisation of abilities. You know how Final Fantasy 7 had those Materia things that let you slightly tweak your stats and abilities? It's like that, but the entire game is built around it. Different combinations of Quartz (the Materia type items) unlock different Arts (spells), as well as giving you passive buffs (and a few debuffs on some of them).

There's rather a lot of dialogue (The second game took 5 years to translate, with a proper budget and everything), fleshing out the world, the characters, and even the random NPCs. Almost all of the NPCs say something different if you talk to them twice in a row, and then change their dialogue whenever you complete a major event. The NPCs have lives of their own that you can explore. For example there's a shopkeeper in the first town called Rinon. He's known Estelle since she was a kid, and is her go to man for buying Strega brand sneakers. He's really struggling to find a wife though, and his mother, Bloom tries to set him up with various girls around town. There's also a couple who you can talk to a few times. They start off as newlyweds, go on their honeymoon, get into an argument, split up, get back together, and then the man has an affair. They're just random people with generic character models that you don't even have to talk to, but they tell a story if you do. Almost every character in the game has a story like that.

As for the main characters, lets just say that Estelle is the best MC ever, and that there's a pansexual foreigner with a lute who drinks an awful lot of wine, and that they put the fact that he had more dialogue as a main selling point of the second game. Seriously.
image.png.734ab1ccb071fce536831336448beda3.png

If we haven't just babbled on about a fantasy world for long enough to convince you, then have some music. Just don't read the comments.

Hide contents

The main battle theme of the second game.

Some more battle music.

Some dungeon music.

You can pick up the first game on Steam for about £13, which is really pretty cheap. Make sure to play Trails in the Sky. There's another, newer series called Trails of Cold Steel, that is just straight up not as good in basically every way. Including graphics and music (we think anyway).

Thank you, I'll have to check this out!

I will back @XII360up on Tokyo Xanadu EX+ because it's made by the same team that made the Trails of Cold Steel games, and while it doesn't go a great job of removing itself from that identity and therefore doesn't really have one of it's own, in fact it feel like a game that would happen in between Cold Steel 1 and 2 at best, it's still a lot of fun because that format works so well.   

Other than that, you can try the Dot Hack GU games, NieR Automata if you haven't got that one yet, Dragon Ball FighterZ, Street Fighter 30th Anniversary just came out, Marchen Forest: Mylne and the Forest Gift is supposed to be pretty good, Rakuen is an amazing RPG maker game, Adventure of a Lifetime looks good if you don't mind some female fanservice and a visual novel game, and Fare Thee Well is a Free to Play visual Novel that looks pretty good. 

• Like 1

I agree with the dot hack games.  Start by watching dot hack//SIGN (the anime), then play the PS2 games (set after SIGN....Infection, Mutation, Outbreak, Quarantine), then watch Liminality (if you can find it), then play the dot hack GU series then if you want to watch the GU movie/series.  But definitely watch SIGN first (as many characters make a cameo appearance and it might help clear up some character identities).  The best thing about the dot hack games is you get to keep your characters, levels, and items and progress from each game to the next.  Most games will zero you out on a sequel (like ME2 bleh) and make you relevel up. 

If you are feeling Magical Girlish, play some Blue Reflection.  It took a little bit to get me into it but once I was hooked, I was hooked deep. 

I don't really play many games anymore that originated from tv (or that have tv related spinoffs).  I find one is never as good as the other though dot hack did a really good job creating the world and the characters and gameplay.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Beocat said:

I agree with the dot hack games.  Start by watching dot hack//SIGN (the anime), then play the PS2 games (set after SIGN....Infection, Mutation, Outbreak, Quarantine), then watch Liminality (if you can find it), then play the dot hack GU series then if you want to watch the GU movie/series.  But definitely watch SIGN first (as many characters make a cameo appearance and it might help clear up some character identities).  The best thing about the dot hack games is you get to keep your characters, levels, and items and progress from each game to the next.  Most games will zero you out on a sequel (like ME2 bleh) and make you relevel up. 

If you are feeling Magical Girlish, play some Blue Reflection.  It took a little bit to get me into it but once I was hooked, I was hooked deep. 

I don't really play many games anymore that originated from tv (or that have tv related spinoffs).  I find one is never as good as the other though dot hack did a really good job creating the world and the characters and gameplay.

ya i agree on blue reflection, it reminds me of atelier series, in terms of battle system

another game i remembered that's anime themed, a psp title, from the fate series, fate grand order fate/extra, its actually a really well made game, since you can pick a servant (coughtamamoiswaifucough), the main fun goal of fate/extra is the servant vs servant battle, it really got me going

think of rock-paper-scissors type of battle, thats how battle works in the game (minus skills, which are i guess in rock-paper-scissors equievalent to...KAMEHAMEHAAAA?)

On 6/1/2018 at 10:55 PM, RepentantSky said:

I will back @XII360up on Tokyo Xanadu EX+ because it's made by the same team that made the Trails of Cold Steel games, and while it doesn't go a great job of removing itself from that identity and therefore doesn't really have one of it's own, in fact it feel like a game that would happen in between Cold Steel 1 and 2 at best, it's still a lot of fun because that format works so well.   

Other than that, you can try the Dot Hack GU games, NieR Automata if you haven't got that one yet, Dragon Ball FighterZ, Street Fighter 30th Anniversary just came out, Marchen Forest: Mylne and the Forest Gift is supposed to be pretty good, Rakuen is an amazing RPG maker game, Adventure of a Lifetime looks good if you don't mind some female fanservice and a visual novel game, and Fare Thee Well is a Free to Play visual Novel that looks pretty good. 

I've heard good things about NieR, so I've been thinking about picking it up.

Street Fighter's a classic!

I might give the other visual novels a try too