☆Wicked's Chat Corner!☆

xWickedNekox

1 minute ago, Keiko said:

What may you be doing now?

The usual lurking and such since i just ate a small lunch still not feeling to eat much after all

4 minutes ago, Kaga Koko said:

The usual lurking and such since i just ate a small lunch still not feeling to eat much after all

I see the idea. 
Are you lurking at someone in particular, perhaps?

1 minute ago, Keiko said:

I see the idea. 
Are you lurking at someone in particular, perhaps?

Lol nah gonna go solo as ghostly potato with my new friends here

Just now, Kaga Koko said:

Lol nah gonna go solo as ghostly potato with my new friends here

Sure, enjoy yourself then.

1 hour ago, xWickedNekox said:

I'm pretty good thanks... How about yourself?...

I am doing good. A little annoyed at myself for upgrading my iPad's OS, but good.

2 hours ago, brycec said:

A little annoyed at myself for upgrading my iPad's OS, but good. 

I've been holding off.  Apple's babyproofing of their newer iOS versions has made them untenable for me.  I'm still running 10.something on an old iPhone SE (i.e. pre-6) until the battery dies then I'm going to Android.  Not a big fan of that either but at least it's not iOS.  The hardware selection is better too, especially in terms of performance/$$.  I might explore other options like KaiOS or Tizen before settling down on Android, if they support modern hardware, but there's not a lot of options out there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, efaardvark said:

I've been holding off.  Apple's babyproofing of their newer iOS versions has made them untenable for me.  I'm still running 10.something on an old iPhone SE (i.e. pre-6) until the battery dies then I'm going to Android.  Not a big fan of that either but at least it's not iOS.  The hardware selection is better too, especially in terms of performance/$$.  I might explore other options like KaiOS or Tizen before settling down on Android, if they support modern hardware, but there's not a lot of options out there.

I use an Android phone and I am not all that happy with it.

The phone is good and does everything I need it to, and gives me the freedom to do what I want, but some of the apps I use, like Plex and a few other third party apps you would not expect to be bias towards OSes being used, do not really work out too well.

For example, in Plex, certain video files will not play on Android devices, even though those files would work on an Android devices, but those same files play just fine over on iOS.

Then, if you like taking notes via One Note, the Android client causes mischief when notes sync to the server, which creates a huge mess, but if I use the iOS or Windows 10 clients, those do not occur that often.

This is probably due to the fact that apps are not heavily tested on Android and Google, and probably other stores, have an open door policy, whereas Apple tests apps and will reject them if something is wrong.

3 hours ago, Lelouch said:

IPad not working to your liking? 

It works, but only for casual usage. If I wanted to put apps I make on it, whether they were designed to be sold or used exclusively for myself, I cannot because the only Mac I have here cannot get updates for either macOS or XCode, due to its age, so I can only test apps on devices running 12.1, while my iPad uses iOS 12.2, and from what I could find, hacking 12.2 support in would probably be kind of pain.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

I stopped using Plex mainly due to its incompetence when it came up multi-channel HTPC networks.  It could never understand that there was a format BESIDES Stereo Matrix.  I ended up going with JRiver and Roon both.  Roon is...amazing.  I really wish they had a video player built into it, because JRiver is just so damn top-heavy.

I'm right there with you on no longer using Plex. I mean sure they are great for what they are trying to do on the surface/ Though I do like how they handle naming conventions sometimes not to mention some of their newer privacy policy updates in the past few years have been less than optimal for users in my opinion.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

I stopped using Plex mainly due to its incompetence when it came up multi-channel HTPC networks.  It could never understand that there was a format BESIDES Stereo Matrix.  I ended up going with JRiver and Roon both.  Roon is...amazing.  I really wish they had a video player built into it, because JRiver is just so damn top-heavy.

I have looked into one alternative call Emby, which used to be called MediaBrowser, but Plex ended up being the better route, due to the stupid decisions that push you further into their subscription (devices that plex does not charge for a client cost you money for an additional devices on Emby).

Emby should provide the capabilities of both products, but I am not sure about multi-channel network support. It might work out better than what you use, if you want to consolidate, since Roon's prices are ridiculous and only focuses on music streaming.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

Roon's prices aren't too bad, really.  Especially considering it will output up to 384 kHz / 32 bits.  Most software isn't doing that.  The Tidal integration is nice too.  I run Parasound DAC's, so compromising the source material = bad results 100% of the time.  JRiver supports (and can resample) both DTS:X and Auro-3D - the latter of which I use at home - and finding a player that will actually support it is like trying to find a white Rhino since it didn't take off like it should have.

I see. Problem for me is that I cannot really stomach another yearly subscription in the $100+ range, or even the $500 one time fee, but it does seem to be quite interesting.

Of course, I am not really an audiophile, so that could be why it seems ridiculous.

• Like 1