Howdy hey

Helloo everybodeh,

I've just recently joined and thought I'd introduce myself. I've been out of online communities for many years and have recently been looking around for some to join. So with my new-ish love of anime I figured this would be a great place to start and meet new people.

I have watched a lot of movies and lately I've started watching a few series. I've just finished Children of the Whales and Violet Evergarden (both of which I thoroughly enjoyed) and am re-watching Akame Ga Kill. I find myself liking a bit of everything, can't really place my tastes...

I would love some kind of recommendation for something mature and space opera-ish if that at all exists? Otherwise any recommendations for violent and/or sadface animes would be much appreciated. Or just anything good in general you'd like to share :)

Post's getting a bit long now... Looking forward to interacting with you lot!

Cheerio

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theladhimself said:

Helloo everybodeh,

I've just recently joined and thought I'd introduce myself. I've been out of online communities for many years and have recently been looking around for some to join. So with my new-ish love of anime I figured this would be a great place to start and meet new people.

I have watched a lot of movies and lately I've started watching a few series. I've just finished Children of the Whales and Violet Evergarden (both of which I thoroughly enjoyed) and am re-watching Akame Ga Kill. I find myself liking a bit of everything, can't really place my tastes...

I would love some kind of recommendation for something mature and space opera-ish if that at all exists? Otherwise any recommendations for violent and/or sadface animes would be much appreciated. Or just anything good in general you'd like to share :)

Post's getting a bit long now... Looking forward to interacting with you lot!

Cheerio

you monster! ohh kinky aint we

id recommend for violent/gore that one anime i never watched couse im not into gore/violence --- being elfen lied, i only remember my brother watching it (like from the start of the episode theres a naked woman and shes being <spoilers spoilers> and the next thing you know is theres blood everywhere

ill leave it to your mind how to interpret that last part, you probably will interpret it wrongly tho ;3

aside from that hello and welcome to the guild forums

12 hours ago, theladhimself said:

Helloo everybodeh,

I've just recently joined and thought I'd introduce myself. I've been out of online communities for many years and have recently been looking around for some to join. So with my new-ish love of anime I figured this would be a great place to start and meet

Welcome to the forums Lad ^_^ So you are looking for a space opera, huh?  Well...maybe I can help you with that!

Not having any idea what you've seen already...  if you give me a list of what you've seen already I could probably narrow it down better but any who...I really wish you had described this a bit better....

Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars ~  This series would be my ultimate mature Space Opera anime go-to.  If you mean Mature as in adult, not childish, more along the lines of sophisticated in that classic Space Opera way.

Norn9 ~  This I classify as a Psuedo Space Opera.  It is a romance (one of my favorite, the graphics and characters are stellar) that for the most part takes place on a Spaceship (however, that Spaceship never actually leaves the Earth's atmosphere so....), so Psuedo Space Opera it is.  It is also mature in a sophisticated way, has a Dere or two in there (nearly impossible to avoid these days) but they aren't really a detractant. 

Knights of Sidonia  ~  This one does a fairly good job of sticking to being mature.  I love it, and I wish there were more Space Operas like this one.

------------------------

The Girl Who Leapt Through Space ~  This series on the other hand would be my ultimate other "mature" Space Opera anime go-to.  If you meant instead Mature as adult themed, sexual innuendos, etc in a Space Opera setting.

Anyways, let me know what you think.  I'm not going to expend any more energy there until I have a clear idea of what you've already seen.  If you are looking for a tragic anime Kanon is where it is at

On 6/4/2018 at 5:39 AM, Wedgy said:

Welcome to AF hope to see you around. :)

Thank you! Yarp see you around ;)

On 6/4/2018 at 2:14 PM, Viper said:

Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your time here 

Thanks so much I'm sure I will!

On 6/4/2018 at 3:04 PM, Glitter Spring said:

Hi there welcome to the forum of Anime. I hope that you and me can be friends and get to know each other.

Thank you that's very kind, I hope so too!

On 6/5/2018 at 1:54 AM, Kohloo said:

Hey, welcome

Thank you :)

On 6/5/2018 at 2:25 AM, seemore_bhutts said:

Nice to meet you! 

I'm sure you'll have a nice time

And you! I'm sure I will

On 6/5/2018 at 3:13 AM, alupacard said:

Welcome~! 

Thank you!

On 6/5/2018 at 9:57 PM, Tefutakato said:

Welcome to AF. Hope you're enjoying yourself here. Nice to meet you too.

Thank you, so far so good! And you :)

On 6/4/2018 at 8:34 AM, XII360 said:

you monster! ohh kinky aint we

id recommend for violent/gore that one anime i never watched couse im not into gore/violence --- being elfen lied, i only remember my brother watching it (like from the start of the episode theres a naked woman and shes being <spoilers spoilers> and the next thing you know is theres blood everywhere

ill leave it to your mind how to interpret that last part, you probably will interpret it wrongly tho ;3

aside from that hello and welcome to the guild forums

😂

Hehe well thank you very much for the recommendation! I've heard that name before but don't know anything about it... Sounds really interesting though!

...and she's being hunted through the forest but there is a full moon and she transforms into a wowolf and next thing you know there's blood everywhere? 

I most likely did interpret that wrongly... I will take a look though thank you!

On 6/4/2018 at 4:09 PM, Beocat said:

Welcome to the forums Lad ^_^ So you are looking for a space opera, huh?  Well...maybe I can help you with that!

Not having any idea what you've seen already...  if you give me a list of what you've seen already I could probably narrow it down better but any who...I really wish you had described this a bit better....

Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars ~  This series would be my ultimate mature Space Opera anime go-to.  If you mean Mature as in adult, not childish, more along the lines of sophisticated in that classic Space Opera way.

Norn9 ~  This I classify as a Psuedo Space Opera.  It is a romance (one of my favorite, the graphics and characters are stellar) that for the most part takes place on a Spaceship (however, that Spaceship never actually leaves the Earth's atmosphere so....), so Psuedo Space Opera it is.  It is also mature in a sophisticated way, has a Dere or two in there (nearly impossible to avoid these days) but they aren't really a detractant. 

Knights of Sidonia  ~  This one does a fairly good job of sticking to being mature.  I love it, and I wish there were more Space Operas like this one.

------------------------

The Girl Who Leapt Through Space ~  This series on the other hand would be my ultimate other "mature" Space Opera anime go-to.  If you meant instead Mature as adult themed, sexual innuendos, etc in a Space Opera setting.

Anyways, let me know what you think.  I'm not going to expend any more energy there until I have a clear idea of what you've already seen.  If you are looking for a tragic anime Kanon is where it is at

Thank you for the welcome!

And wow thank you so much for all of your awesome suggestions. Like I mentioned, my list is very short!

It revolves around growing up with Pokemon and DBZ, and also a little bit of Blue Gender which I thoroughly enjoyed but missed a lot of episodes because of the time period it aired and the intermittent airing of the show where I was from. Really need to watch that again... Anyway!

I did mean mature as in not childish, but I'm not saying no to anything with R-rated themes/scenes. I know they're not animes, but I'm a huge Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica fan :P

Thank you so much for your suggestions I really appreciate it and they all sound really really great! The only one I've heard of is Knights of Sidonia but I know nothing about it! I'm looking forward to checking them all out and I'll be sure to let you know what I think! Thank you again!

• Like 1

@theladhimself  Anytime Lad.  With your Space Opera love stemming from Star Trek and Galactica (I love those too, and the original Star Wars Eps 4-6), I would have to say that Crest of the Stars (followed by Banner of .... I and II) should definitely be your first watch (as far as mature Space Opera goes).  Sidonia is definitely more of a Galactica vibe but you have a bit less maturity in the second season (and...overall....it does fall prey to some of anime's more frustrating tropes).  That isn't to say that it isn't mature, but comparing Crest of the Stars and Sidonia, Crest of the Stars is always going to be far more mature.  Start there and work your way out.  And think of Crest of the Stars as an introduction to Banner of the Stars ;) 

As far as I've been able to tell, I'm probably the only serious Space Opera fan on the forum so...if you ever need any more recommendations or just want to chat Space Opera (even just Space Opera tv shows), hit me up!  Keep in mind, maybe around half of the Space Opera genre in anime is subbed only, so I hope you don't mind reading subs from time to time.  Of the ones I listed for you before, Norn9 and The Girl Who Leapt Through Space are both subbed only.