Isekai.

awesomedude20

Question

More to fulfill my own curiosity, list off some proper isekai anime that actually end. Entirely.

Zero no Tsukaima is already accounted for.

And by "end" I mean, finishes the ENTIRE plot with no huge strings left untied. If you've seen the aforementioned Zero no Tsukaima, you'll know exactly what I mean.

Some examples of isekai that DO NOT pass this, are stuff like No Game No Life, Re:Zero, Smartphone, Death March, you get the point.

8 answers to this question

The ones that pop in my head are Escaflowne, Magic Knight Rayearth, and Spirited Away. I don't really blame the genre. Bad things tend to happen to authors. I could write a thread about it...all the unfinished anime out there.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Beocat said:

The ones that pop in my head are Escaflowne, Magic Knight Rayearth, and Spirited Away. I don't really blame the genre. Bad things tend to happen to authors. I could write a thread about it...all the unfinished anime out there.

I'm glad you mentioned at least Escaflowne. Isn't that regarded as the first true isekai anime? I haven't seen it, but i've been very tempted. All I know is that it basically puts "Knight's and Magic" to shame ;D It and its misspelled name.

I feel like I've heard of Rayearth before, but only heard about it. I shall look into this.

But you should make a thread on that o.o So much shit is left unfinished, it kills me. I'm asking about this though because I am genuinely curious as to whether or not there are any new isekai anime that finish. I can LITERALLY only think of Zero no Tsukaima and that's like 2005.

48 minutes ago, awesomedude20 said:

I'm glad you mentioned at least Escaflowne. Isn't that regarded as the first true isekai anime? I haven't seen it, but i've been very tempted. All I know is that it basically puts "Knight's and Magic" to shame ;D It and its misspelled name.

I feel like I've heard of Rayearth before, but only heard about it. I shall look into this.

But you should make a thread on that o.o So much shit is left unfinished, it kills me. I'm asking about this though because I am genuinely curious as to whether or not there are any new isekai anime that finish. I can LITERALLY only think of Zero no Tsukaima and that's like 2005.

Escaflowne was actually the first DVD boxset I ever owned.  I think I got it for Christmas (somehow I had a rightstuf paper catalogue and managed to convince my mom to buy it from the catalogue :) ).  It might be the first Isekai....  I'm not sure about that.  It is probably one of the best (if only Alan Shizar didn't exist....grrrrr) but I might be biased. 

I forgot maybe Twelve Kingdoms.  I didn't finish it myself (wish I had) but I'm pretty sure it had a solid conclusion.  Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure had a pretty solid ending as well.

If I make a thread about it, it'll be in a few days.  I've been procrastinating a lot of work that needs to get done and I'll have to actually make a list (listing and remembering the reasons off the top of my head tends to be very fragmented) and polish it up.

***If you do decide to watch Escaflowne, I advise starting with the TV series and following up with the movie later.  The movie is pretty fast and can be fairly confusing if you are not familiar with the series.  The characters have vastly different personalities as well between the two formats.  Watching the series will give you a good foundation on who is who before you watch the movie (which I thought was a bit rushed).

Edited by Beocat

15 minutes ago, Beocat said:

Escaflowne was actually the first DVD boxset I ever owned.  I think I got it for Christmas (somehow I had a rightstuf paper catalogue and managed to convince my mom to buy it from the catalogue :) ).  It might be the first Isekai....  I'm not sure about that.  It is probably one of the best (if only Alan Shizar didn't exist....grrrrr) but I might be biased. 

I forgot maybe Twelve Kingdoms.  I didn't finish it myself (wish I had) but I'm pretty sure it had a solid conclusion.  Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure had a pretty solid ending as well.

Cool, will jot these down. I will probably watch them eventually, if only to be able to recommend isekai anime to people that want isekai. I'm also noticing that these are all older ones, which is NOT an issue for me, but I find it funny just how much new stuff is just no. There was a time when even the dastardly isekai genre was in a good place XD

17 minutes ago, Beocat said:

If I make a thread about it, it'll be in a few days.  I've been procrastinating a lot of work that needs to get done and I'll have to actually make a list (listing and remembering the reasons off the top of my head tends to be very fragmented) and polish it up.

Sure, no rush ;D

17 minutes ago, Beocat said:

***If you do decide to watch Escaflowne, I advise starting with the TV series and following up with the movie later.  The movie is pretty fast and can be fairly confusing if you are not familiar with the series.  The characters have vastly different personalities as well between the two formats.  Watching the series will give you a good foundation on who is who before you watch the movie (which I thought was a bit rushed).

Gotcha, is the movie a remake, or a sequel thing, or?

3 minutes ago, awesomedude20 said:

Gotcha, is the movie a remake, or a sequel thing, or?

Not a sequel and not a remake...  I believe that they are different versions of the same story.  I think that the movie got a pretty poor reception.  If I remember correctly, it was made after the series.  I went into it with a fairly open mind (and knowing most people were against the movie) so on its own I didn't think it was bad, but it doesn't give you the feel good feelings that the series does lol....  It isn't meant to be taken in direct context with the series.  The manga may have had alternate timelines and endings as well so it makes sense in my opinion for the animation to do something similar.  The manga I've never read but I heard that from part of the controversy surrounding the movie from years ago.

1 minute ago, Beocat said:

Not a sequel and not a remake...  I believe that they are different versions of the same story.  I think that the movie got a pretty poor reception.  If I remember correctly, it was made after the series.  I went into it with a fairly open mind (and knowing most people were against the movie) so on its own I didn't think it was bad, but it doesn't give you the feel good feelings that the series does lol....  It isn't meant to be taken in direct context with the series.  The manga may have had alternate timelines and endings as well so it makes sense in my opinion for the animation to do something similar.  The manga I've never read but I heard that from part of the controversy surrounding the movie from years ago.

Ah so it's like the Clannad movie is to Clannad.

Not nearly as good, and they change how characters act for the worse, but thankfully you don't have to watch it at all.

• Agree 1