Anime - dub or sub ?

XII360

so was unsure whether to put this onto chit-chat thread, orrrr general anime tab, but nevertheless!

was studying (or atleast opened my old notes, to prepare for my upcoming classes) while browsing forums, when i saw @NG-Anime post a thread about dub, and then i suddenly had an epiphany

which do you preffer? subbed anime or dubbed anime ?

personally, i prefer sub more than dub, dub is fine, thats where i learned to speak english, butttt i somewhat enjoy reading more than just hearing, thus comes subtitles in subs, its rare to see subs in dubbed anime due to how, its kind of already in english so theres little point of them to hassle on it?

+/- i semi translate what the characters actually say and compare it to what the sub's say, its somewhat of a fun game i do in my brain when i play games/watch anime

what about you ?! do you prefer subs more than dubs?, dubs more than subs? is it depending on who the V/A's on the characters ?!, both ?!

lets have a discussion and avoid my studying have fun !

• Friendly 1

I go for sub! Mainly because sometimes I have to turn down the sound so that my brother doesn't come and check on me (it gets really awkward sometimes, y'know...) and dub isn't really helpful at times like that. Also, having subtitles helps you to understand the words clearly. There are times when I'll have trouble hearing the words, and subtitles solve the problem.

• Agree 1

I have no real preference. If the dub is good, I'll listen and enjoy. If not, I just switch over to the sub. That being said, if I started on the sub, it is difficult to switch to the dub. Snow White with the Red Hair being an example...horrible dub...to me anyways. Glad my first watch was on the sub. Easier to go from dub to sub than sub to dub for sure. I have noted that on new shows (like Otome Yokai...) that I haven't seen before, if I am web searching or working during them I seem to know what is being said before I look up to read it. Apparently, my brain is learning Japanese from anime without me. If I ever visit Japan, I'm going to sound like an anime character...

Edited by Beocat
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beocat said:

that I haven't seen before, if I am web searching or working during them I seem to know what is being said before I look up to read it. Apparently, my brain is learning Japanese from anime without me. If I ever visit Japan, I'm going to sound like an anime character...

yea thats the little game i was talking about, i semi understand what is being said before, even if subtitles are different 

to bad if we actually go to japan, the way they speak will be somewhat

shall we say "accelerated" <,<

5 minutes ago, AniMeFReaK said:

There are times when I'll have trouble hearing the words, and subtitles solve the problem.

i understand this so well, so god damn well >_>

• Like 1

Dub. Definitely dub because it’s easy. In sub you have to keep on looking at the long sentence then I miss the scene. I don’t get the full effect of the anime in sub.

also listening in sub the voices are weird almost cringe. Especially Goku from Dbz. 

• Like 1

I've always preferred subbed.

The feelings of the characters have always seemed to get through to me better when the voiceover is done in Japanese, while when English dubbed the voiceover just sounds so forced.

• Like 1

For me, I always find myself preferring sub to dub. I like the nuances of the Japanese language and it seems much more... authentic this way? I guess that's just my opinion haha. The only anime that I prefer dub to sub would be YuGiOh because I grew up with the English dub and kinda got attached to the characters that way. 

• Agree 1

Definitely sub due to usually better quality VAs, as well as some really serious lines just sound really terrible in English.  I don't usually actively read subs.  Over the time I've watched anime, my mind just kind of acknowledges it's there, while focusing more on the visuals, and can get 99% of what they are saying.  If I'm really tired though, I'll have to go back to reading them.  Not to mention, dubs just aren't as available as subs are, and you have to wait a lot longer for them most of the time.

• Like 1

I watch a lot of sub and prefer sub a lot of the time but there are still a considerable amount of occasions where I honestly prefer the dub or consider both the dub and the original voice acting to be equally appropriate. It can depend on a variety of things like setting, character interpretation on part of the voice actor and perhaps even the particular genres that a certain show may happen to be part of. It's become quite a situational decision for me when it comes to any anime since I've found quite a bit of both that I enjoy. 

I prefer sub than dub. I think hearing its original Japanese dubbing while reading  subs is quite better that English dub. And also, I can learn short Japanese vocabulary like BAKA or AISHITERU... But hey, dubs are not that bad (except it isn't updated). I watched the dubbed version of Kamisama Kiss and I think it's pretty cool.😀

I prefer sub but if I have to be completely honest it really depends on the voices in the anime. Some dub I can't stand simply because some of the higher pitched female voices are just to dang squeaky and annoying. For some reason only the Japanese voice cast can get it right. 

What's up with this debate? Everybody knows subbed is the only way to watch anime xP Dubbed doesn't exist in my world.

On 6/18/2018 at 12:14 PM, Ryuji said:

What's up with this debate? Everybody knows subbed is the only way to watch anime xP Dubbed doesn't exist in my world.

It just does seem to come up a lot. I do not care too much either way, but dubs actually have two advantages for me, which are:

1. Easier to watch while experiencing a headache

2. Easier to follow.

While many in the community tend to prefer subs, there are issues subs have that dubs do not, which all have to do with how easy they are to read, hence why they can be harder to follow along with, which is mainly font size and color contrast. I have encountered subs that were hard to read because they were too small and even subs that were hard to read, because they do not contrast well with what is on screen, so I spend more time trying to determine what is being said than actually witnessing what was going on.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, brycec said:

It just does seem to come up a lot. I do not care too much either way, but dubs actually have two advantages for me, which are:

1. Easier to watch while experiencing a headache

2. Easier to follow.

While many in the community tend to prefer subs, there are issues subs have that dubs do not, which all have to do with how easy they are to read, hence why they can be harder to follow along with, which is mainly font size and color contrast. I have encountered subs that were hard to read because they were too small and even subs that were hard to read, because they do not contrast well with what is on screen, so I spend more time trying to determine what is being said than actually witnessing what was going on.

Valid point. My problem with dubs is that a good many of them have awful voices for the characters. Have you ever tried to watch The Melancholy of Haruhi dubbed? The characters sound so bad I want to cut my ears off.

4 minutes ago, Ryuji said:

Valid point. My problem with dubs is that a good many of them have awful voices for the characters. Have you ever tried to watch The Melancholy of Haruhi dubbed? The characters sound so bad I want to cut my ears off.

I have and the characters did not sound too bad to me, but I was kind of bored with the show anyway, which was not helped by endless eight. I think one of the worst I have heard was somebody voiced by Christopher Sabat. I believe it was Hak from Yona, though I cannot be sure, but the character he was voicing did not seem to be that strong, appearearance-wise, but the voice he gave him was pretty much the same as many of the muscle bound freaks that he does voice.

I've always been a fast (English) reader.  I can read a line or two of text at a glance, even without really looking at it directly.  I also understand a fair bit of spoken Japanese.  For me subs are a no-brainer.  The original audio is definitely the way to go if you can do it.  That's true whether we're talking Japanese anime, French films, or any other non-native media.  Dubbing inserts another layer of interpretation between the author and the listeners, and a lot of times that dilutes or distorts the message.  Subtitles don't get it right a lot of the time either, but at least if you're listening to the original voicing you can still hear the tone of voice, even if you can't understand the words themselves.  Dubbing removes even the original tone or inflection as well as providing the additional opportunity for a bad translation and miscommunication.

I get that subs aren't an option for everyone.  That's fine.  I'd rather that more people have the opportunity to enjoy the material, even if imperfectly, than to limit the distribution or make things harder than they need to be for non-native listeners.  Most shows are available in both dubbed and subbed versions and people should go with what works for them.  Ultimately this is entertainment and if you're enjoying it then that's what counts the most, regardless of how you do it.  Dubbing definitely does affect the "fidelity" of the material however.  For me it is kind of like the difference between mono and stereo for a music file, or 128k-bit vs 256k-bit mp3 compression.  It is best to replicate the original version as closely as possible when listening/watching for the best possible experience.

• Disagree 1

• 1 month later...

Um...both are okay for me..! But still i think sub is better! Cause i love Japanese( its Kawaii!) and also sometimes my parents walk in.. then i have to turn the volume to low or just mute it. Ik i can't hear anything but the subtitles are there to help!! :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on how I'm feeling to be honest. I'm fine with either. If I just wanna focus on the animation and not have to worry about the subtitles, Ima go dub. If my friends are over we'll probably watch it dubbed if it's available. Although, I do watch anime subbed most of the time.

I get the issues with some dubs just being awful, which is true, but most are pretty decent. And some are even better than subbed imo (Looking at the dandy show known as Space Dandy.)

But yeah, just depends on how I'm feeling at the moment.

For me It is sub almost all the way with the exception of db, and dbz. There is just something better about the dub of these. That said just about any other series I would always prefer to watch it in its subbed format. It just feels more like anime to me. A lot of JRPGs that never get translated in terms of voice acting often get a English, or other western language patch for them which takes care of the text issue. This is also true of VNs. I do not like the censorship, or cultural localizing that tended to happen in the early 2000s as well as the 90s with most anime released outside Japan. It is not nearly the issue it was, but it still happens more then you might think.

For me it just depends,  If I grew up with the English Dub of a show that I watched when I was a kid, then I will stick with dub, but if I'm watching a new anime I try the sub version first. Most times though I rarely switch over to dub unless I find the Japanese language being spoken in an annoying way. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Anisa Mazaki said:

For me it just depends,  If I grew up with the English Dub of a show that I watched when I was a kid, then I will stick with dub, but if I'm watching a new anime I try the sub version first. Most times though I rarely switch over to dub unless I find the Japanese language being spoken in an annoying way. 

Thats always it right hard to let go of those childhood favorites. For me DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Fruits Basket are great dubs. I have no problem admiring that though only one for me thats better then the origial  is dbz. What are some from your childhood.

1 minute ago, ArchieKun said:

Thats always it right hard to let go of those childhood favorites. For me DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Fruits Basket are great dubs. I have no problem admiring that though only one for me thats better then the origial  is dbz. What are some from your childhood.

In dubs it was Yugioh, Rurouni Kenshin, Trigun, Full Metal Alchemist.  Sorcerer Hunters, Soul Hunter, Nausica, Princess Mononoke, Pokemone, Digimon, Medabots, Beyblades, Legend of Christania, Ghost in the Shell series, Sakura Cardcaptors, Sailor Moon, Escaflowne....

I've seen other animes in dubs over the yrs as I got older too, like Basilisk, Berserk,  Samurai Gun, GunSword, Gungrave, Black Cat, Trinity Blood, Descendants of Darkness, Jubei Chan, Ninja Scroll, Code Geass, Black Bulter, Naruto, Bleach, Vampire Hunter D, Hellsing, Black Blood Brothers, Straight Jacket, Mew Mew Power, Rave Master, Fairy Tale, Deathnote, Blue Exorcist, Team Getbackers, Shadow Skill.....

For subs today it's Attack on Titan, Argentosoma, Cinderella Boy, Hunter x Hunter, The Ancient Magnus bride (a waste of my time), One Punch Man, Ranma 1/2 (which I regret viewing), Sword art online (also regret viewing)

I'm a bit behind on watching anime, cuz I'm rewatching some of the old ones to "refresh" my memories o_o about the shows.... Quite a few of them here I gotta go back and re-cover again. 

2 minutes ago, Anisa Mazaki said:

In dubs it was Yugioh, Rurouni Kenshin, Trigun, Full Metal Alchemist.  Sorcerer Hunters, Soul Hunter, Nausica, Princess Mononoke, Pokemone, Digimon, Medabots, Beyblades, Legend of Christania, Ghost in the Shell series, Sakura Cardcaptors, Sailor Moon, Escaflowne....

I've seen other animes in dubs over the yrs as I got older too, like Basilisk, Berserk,  Samurai Gun, GunSword, Gungrave, Black Cat, Trinity Blood, Descendants of Darkness, Jubei Chan, Ninja Scroll, Code Geass, Black Bulter, Naruto, Bleach, Vampire Hunter D, Hellsing, Black Blood Brothers, Straight Jacket, Mew Mew Power, Rave Master, Fairy Tale, Deathnote, Blue Exorcist, Team Getbackers, Shadow Skill.....

For subs today it's Attack on Titan, Argentosoma, Cinderella Boy, Hunter x Hunter, The Ancient Magnus bride (a waste of my time), One Punch Man, Ranma 1/2 (which I regret viewing), Sword art online (also regret viewing)

I'm a bit behind on watching anime, cuz I'm rewatching some of the old ones to "refresh" my memories o_o about the shows.... Quite a few of them here I gotta go back and re-cover again. 

Ok I have to say things like Sailor Moon, FMA, Yugioh, and more are what quickly turned me away from dubs. I speak more on this above, but my reasoning mostly is censorship, and localization. I personally just can't stand how 90s anime did this.