Anime - dub or sub ?

XII360

@ArchieKun  Alright, allow me to play Devil's Advocate here. 

Consider that the producers were not willing to bend the story to fit cultural acceptance across international lines through dubbing.  Great shows that cemented my love of anime in my childhood like Cardcaptor Sakura would never have been brought over (due to the gay relationship between her brother and his friend, as well as Tomoyo's obsession (and lesbian/incest love) for Sakura) because during that era, children were actually shielded from exposure to extreme social concepts of the time like homosexuality, pedophilia, incest, and so forth (some may not be considered extreme today, but remember folks, you cannot judge yesterday by today's standards!).  At the very least, by changing some parts of the dubbing, the anime was able to reach a larger audience and I imagine that is one anime many fans look fondly back on even today, knowing it was changed.

My sister doesn't really like anime...but she was into Sailor Moon, which also may not have continued if not subtly altered (to remove animal cruelty (in episode 2 or 3?  It was an early episode where her brother kicks Luna maliciously because he hates cats  -  actually reminds me of some real crazy's I've worked with in the past), premarital sex, again homosexuality, and so forth).  Many fans rail against these changes today but the fact of the matter is that they would have never seen the show to begin with if not for those changes having been in place.  Sailor Moon was many a fan's (especially when it came to girls) first anime "love". 

Changes like those were put in place to protect a very young audience who may be watching (remember, a lot of these were on Saturday mornings and weekday afternoons immediately after school).  Children are exposed in my opinion to far too much these days.  While I too prefer the original storyline as opposed to the changes, I can 100% agree with the reasoning behind instituting those changes, especially because it gave access to those anime earlier rather than later. 

I do think that some anime does need censorship, because parents are not willing to parent their children these days.  Parenting is hard...and sex is easy.  Funny how that works.  Those anime that should be censored in my opinion are the ones that are being targeted to children (and shown on "cartoon specific channels targeting very young audiences).  If you want an uncensored version, I think the producers should always produce for purchase an "uncut" version (which I have for Sailor Moon.  Big beautiful boxes that I came across by pure serendipity one day and was very willing to dump some cash on to get them.).  I agree with censorship on a level, even though I prefer to see the author's original vision.  Some concepts shouldn't be taught to children until they are actually old enough to comprehend them.  I worked with pediatrics and I've seen some messed up kids.  Yeah, the 90s anime were famous for censorship, but it was done with the right audience in mind.

Just my two cents.

• Like 1

@Beocat

I won't necessarily dispute this, or really any of what your saying here. I do understand the logic, and reasoning behind this. Though anime is close to my heart, and in my mind it should be watched in its intended format dispute any cultural concepts. I also personally subscribe to the idea if I do not like something then I do not watch/read it etc. This is of course just my option, but is something I believe very strongly. I do however respect your input.

Edited by ArchieKun

I'll honestly watch either sub or dub, I don't have much preference. There's been a few instances (not that I can remember any) where I prefer one over the other for certain shows, but it rarely comes up. Really, it depends on who I'm watching with or what's available. Or heck, sometimes even just my mood 

• 1 month later...

They're both good, as long as the voices are right. Lately I've been watching more subbed than dubbed, and my only issue is that I have to be more concentrated on subbed(probably a good thing). Whereas with dubbed, I can look up every now and then and still understand and hear what's going on, like when watching in a public place. 

I started out with liking dub but after watching a fair few anime and started watching seasonal stuff or new stuff with out dub I started watching more and more subs until I just move to sub completely. I don't care if people watch sub or dub what ever is better for them, I can't tell someone else how to enjoy anime.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

To be honest I'm so accustomed to both and genuinely don't mind watching anime in both viewpoints. However I'll admit sub is quite better in dub in most cases but sometimes theirs anime that the dub is simply better then sub so it all really depends personally. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Sassy said:

To be honest I'm so accustomed to both and genuinely don't mind watching anime in both viewpoints. However I'll admit sub is quite better in dub in most cases but sometimes theirs anime that the dub is simply better then sub so it all really depends personally. 

That is entirely true in particular DBZ at least in the case of the Orange Brick sets, or Dragon Box release. Otherwise I can still honestly think of no others I like more then the sub. Now thats not to say a certain dub is not ok on its own though

53 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

That is entirely true in particular DBZ at least in the case of the Orange Brick sets, or Dragon Box release. Otherwise I can still honestly think of no others I like more then the sub. Now thats not to say a certain dub is not ok on its own though

Right and definietly agree. *nods head*

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Subbed. Always. The dubbed always comes out a bit off. I think the voice actors just translate the words and not the story itself. The atmosphere of the whole essence is somehow lost and it doesn't have the same impact.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, tisu said:

Subbed. Always. The dubbed always comes out a bit off. I think the voice actors just translate the words and not the story itself. The atmosphere of the whole essence is somehow lost and it doesn't have the same impact.

I could not agree more with this and I lovee how well you explained this. Dubbed dose often fall a bit short. Not as much these days, but still quite often.

I try to seek out dubs because I want to pay attention to what's actually going on instead of reading text, but i'll go with subs if I have to. Personally I think the debate is pathetic...watch however the hell you want to watch. Its not like dubs grew opposable thumbs, shot you, then forced you to kneel before the all-powerful 4Kids overlords. :P

It varies, it all comes down - for me at least - in how I started watching the anime.  Such as if I started watching it in Dub, I find it hard to switch to Sub because I'm used to the voices, or, the English Dub just sounds a whole lot better than the original Japanese version such as DB or FMA.  But, there are a few titles I've started watching in Dub and after watching it in Sub, I was much happier with the series such as Sailor Moon and Naruto.  If I had to pick one or the other though, I would vote Sub mainly because the original version is so much better in my opinion.  I also prefer Subs with FanSub instead of being Subbed by an American company translator.  My reasons are simply because FanSub keeps it raw in its original meaning while American companies translating it just dumbs down the original meaning and people begin to believe that parts of the storyline or characters are less than what the creator intended.  Such as cousins in Sailor Moon or inappropriate jokes in other animes that America has censored or cut out.  Keep it uncut and original is the best way to go, at least for me.

• Like 1

Well actually it does not mind whether I like sub or dub, it's just that it depends on what how good the voice acting in the dub is and if it's bad then I go to sub. There's also reasons to go to sub such as cute girl japanese voices and/or sometimes japanese just sounds awesome in so many ways.

Dub - it's really rare if I would watch an anime and one of those are Death Note. There's no doubt, the voice acting in that anime was well done as well as L's.

7 hours ago, KeyDee said:

Well actually it does not mind whether I like sub or dub, it's just that it depends on what how good the voice acting in the dub is and if it's bad then I go to sub. There's also reasons to go to sub such as cute girl japanese voices and/or sometimes japanese just sounds awesome in so many ways.

Dub - it's really rare if I would watch an anime and one of those are Death Note. There's no doubt, the voice acting in that anime was well done as well as L's.

In my experience as well I think they have a lot more experience with voice acting in Japan then pretty much anywhere else. Since they are a culture that has more or less embraced animation more so then pretty much anywhere else. Both Europe and North America do have some decent animation, but nothing like Japan. So since voice acting is lately the only form of acting you can do for animation they have more skill overall then most other places.

I definitely prefer dubbed anime. Since my native language is English I am more comfortable in dubbed.

But some times just for fun, I switch to sub  as well. I cannot watch that for more than half and hour and switch back to dubbed.

And yes I would like to mention that the series death note was the one that I enjoyed in Sub.

It was a great experience watching Death Note in sub.

In general I like dubbed anime.

Thanks