XII360

Anime - dub or sub ?

2 minutes ago, Anisa Mazaki said:

In dubs it was Yugioh, Rurouni Kenshin, Trigun, Full Metal Alchemist.  Sorcerer Hunters, Soul Hunter, Nausica, Princess Mononoke, Pokemone, Digimon, Medabots, Beyblades, Legend of Christania, Ghost in the Shell series, Sakura Cardcaptors, Sailor Moon, Escaflowne....

I've seen other animes in dubs over the yrs as I got older too, like Basilisk, Berserk,  Samurai Gun, GunSword, Gungrave, Black Cat, Trinity Blood, Descendants of Darkness, Jubei Chan, Ninja Scroll, Code Geass, Black Bulter, Naruto, Bleach, Vampire Hunter D, Hellsing, Black Blood Brothers, Straight Jacket, Mew Mew Power, Rave Master, Fairy Tale, Deathnote, Blue Exorcist, Team Getbackers, Shadow Skill.....

For subs today it's Attack on Titan, Argentosoma, Cinderella Boy, Hunter x Hunter, The Ancient Magnus bride (a waste of my time), One Punch Man, Ranma 1/2 (which I regret viewing), Sword art online (also regret viewing)

I'm a bit behind on watching anime, cuz I'm rewatching some of the old ones to "refresh" my memories o_o about the shows.... Quite a few of them here I gotta go back and re-cover again. 

Ok I have to say things like Sailor Moon, FMA, Yugioh, and more are what quickly turned me away from dubs. I speak more on this above, but my reasoning mostly is censorship, and localization. I personally just can't stand how 90s anime did this.

@ArchieKun  Alright, allow me to play Devil's Advocate here. 

Consider that the producers were not willing to bend the story to fit cultural acceptance across international lines through dubbing.  Great shows that cemented my love of anime in my childhood like Cardcaptor Sakura would never have been brought over (due to the gay relationship between her brother and his friend, as well as Tomoyo's obsession (and lesbian/incest love) for Sakura) because during that era, children were actually shielded from exposure to extreme social concepts of the time like homosexuality, pedophilia, incest, and so forth (some may not be considered extreme today, but remember folks, you cannot judge yesterday by today's standards!).  At the very least, by changing some parts of the dubbing, the anime was able to reach a larger audience and I imagine that is one anime many fans look fondly back on even today, knowing it was changed.

My sister doesn't really like anime...but she was into Sailor Moon, which also may not have continued if not subtly altered (to remove animal cruelty (in episode 2 or 3?  It was an early episode where her brother kicks Luna maliciously because he hates cats  -  actually reminds me of some real crazy's I've worked with in the past), premarital sex, again homosexuality, and so forth).  Many fans rail against these changes today but the fact of the matter is that they would have never seen the show to begin with if not for those changes having been in place.  Sailor Moon was many a fan's (especially when it came to girls) first anime "love". 

Changes like those were put in place to protect a very young audience who may be watching (remember, a lot of these were on Saturday mornings and weekday afternoons immediately after school).  Children are exposed in my opinion to far too much these days.  While I too prefer the original storyline as opposed to the changes, I can 100% agree with the reasoning behind instituting those changes, especially because it gave access to those anime earlier rather than later. 

I do think that some anime does need censorship, because parents are not willing to parent their children these days.  Parenting is hard...and sex is easy.  Funny how that works.  Those anime that should be censored in my opinion are the ones that are being targeted to children (and shown on "cartoon specific channels targeting very young audiences).  If you want an uncensored version, I think the producers should always produce for purchase an "uncut" version (which I have for Sailor Moon.  Big beautiful boxes that I came across by pure serendipity one day and was very willing to dump some cash on to get them.).  I agree with censorship on a level, even though I prefer to see the author's original vision.  Some concepts shouldn't be taught to children until they are actually old enough to comprehend them.  I worked with pediatrics and I've seen some messed up kids.  Yeah, the 90s anime were famous for censorship, but it was done with the right audience in mind.

Just my two cents.

• Like 1

@Beocat

I won't necessarily dispute this, or really any of what your saying here. I do understand the logic, and reasoning behind this. Though anime is close to my heart, and in my mind it should be watched in its intended format dispute any cultural concepts. I also personally subscribe to the idea if I do not like something then I do not watch/read it etc. This is of course just my option, but is something I believe very strongly. I do however respect your input.

Edited by ArchieKun

I'll honestly watch either sub or dub, I don't have much preference. There's been a few instances (not that I can remember any) where I prefer one over the other for certain shows, but it rarely comes up. Really, it depends on who I'm watching with or what's available. Or heck, sometimes even just my mood 

They're both good, as long as the voices are right. Lately I've been watching more subbed than dubbed, and my only issue is that I have to be more concentrated on subbed(probably a good thing). Whereas with dubbed, I can look up every now and then and still understand and hear what's going on, like when watching in a public place. 

This would find a better home in the anime section *moving there*

I started out with liking dub but after watching a fair few anime and started watching seasonal stuff or new stuff with out dub I started watching more and more subs until I just move to sub completely. I don't care if people watch sub or dub what ever is better for them, I can't tell someone else how to enjoy anime.

• Like 1

I personally do not really have a preference. I can't afford a subscription to a paid anime website so I just watch whatever is available and whatever I click on first. Also sometimes if I am lazy and don't want to read I will just watch a dub.