Best OVA you have ever watched and which anime it was from.

Part_time_anime

I don’t normally watch OVA. But recently I watched a OVA and in time span of 30min it was better than most anime series. The OVA I watched was from clannad which Is actually my worst anime series. Even though I hate the series I loved  the OVA as it created a lot of feelings in just a short amount of time.

Then I started watching other OVA and they all are actually amazing. How they creat such emotion and making it so enjoyable in such a short amount of time. Especially Tokyo ghoul ova’s. 

so what’s your best OVA and recommend me some good ones. Also it will be nice of you state which anime it is from. 

Whaaa, you hate Clannad? Tis' my favourite romance anime XD You make it to season 2 by chance? o.o

Regardless, that's beside the point.

Best OVA I've ever seen is Kubikiri Cycle. It isn't attached to any other shows, it is in fact, its own show. But still an OVA. 8 episodes, and remains one of the best mystery anime I've ever seen, I struggle to find any flaws with it.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/33263/Kubikiri_Cycle__Aoiro_Savant_to_Zaregototsukai

I highly recommend looking for OVAs that work like this one, or even ONAs, which are almost the same thing, but released via the internet only, rather than only being released on DVD or Bluray like OVAs are. Personally, most OVAs that are attached to shows that I've seen are highly unimportant. NOT all the time, but for the most part. OVAs like the ones you're talking about are almost always exclusively used to just give people a little gift for buying disc copies of the show, and more often than not are just a simple fun extra episode. There are very rare cases however, like for Steins;Gate, where its OVA was a proper sequel that led into the following movie.

Long text aside, I normally pass on OVAs that are attached to shows unless I see that they're a proper sequel. Normally however, they're the equivalent of a filler episode, and those don't exactly interest me too much.

• Like 1

[mal type=anime id=32902]

Easily the best OVA I've ever seen, outshining even the main show imo, this OVA does so well in telling a tragic tale that sets up an unforgettable past experience of our MC.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, awesomedude20 said:

Whaaa, you hate Clannad? Tis' my favourite romance anime XD You make it to season 2 by chance? o.o

I didn’t make it to season two. I disliked the first season it was hard to even get through the first one. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Part_time_anime said:

I didn’t make it to season two. I disliked the first season it was hard to even get through the first one. 

I should mention that season 2 is the 14th most popular anime on MAL XD And for very good reason lol.

I suggest trying it out again, just keep in mind that you DO NOT want to watch season 1 as a romance, this is important. It's a drama/comedy, with a little bit of romance.

• Like 1

I'd probably have to say the first season of Tenchi Muyo (which was OVA).  The second season....sucked...and I don't think it was the fact that I had to switch to Japanese because of the bad voice actor they placed for Ryoko.  The first season of Tenchi always brings a smile to my face.  The first harem I ever saw and enjoyed...  it was stellar quality, especially in those days and I think it has stood the test of time.  I wish it hadn't taken so long for them to get around to continuing the story but...meh...that's what happens I guess. 

I wonder...did you mean OVA as in "movie retelling/continuing/adding to the story"?

[mal type=anime id=539]

On 6/14/2018 at 4:26 AM, Part_time_anime said:

I didn’t make it to season two. I disliked the first season it was hard to even get through the first one

Same here.  The first season seemed just another HS romance.  Worse, it is boring HS drama/romance.  I dropped it about halfway through, and I initially had NO interest in After Story as a continuation.  It was only when I heard the good reviews that After Story was getting that I watched that, then I liked that so much that I went back and watched the first season.  Clannad is definitely the weaker of the two.  The characters don't even know what they're doing most of the time.  (Not exactly an unusual situation for people in HS after all.)  But Clannad is necessary setup for After Story, which is excellent IMHO.  When/if you get to the end of After Story, go back to that "I hate this city" at the beginning of Clannad.  I think you'll hear it from a whole different POV.  You might even want to watch the whole season 1 over again.. and maybe even enjoy doing so.

The other, bigger problem - for me anyway - with Clannad was the dubbing.  I disliked the English voicing of Nagisa especially.  If you can handle it I strongly recommend the Japanese audio version.. with subs if necessary, but the Japanese voicing gives Nagisa a significantly different personality than I got from the dub version.  Much better IMHO.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Arslanio said:

I remember getting really excited as a kid when I found Tenchi Muyo because of how its setting and characters looked only to get incredibly disappointed when I realized what genre it was in. 

I myself am not a harem fan, but Tenchi is fairly well done (not all the Tenchis mind you, but the OVA definitely is).  I don't completely write off a genre ever.  Man...if I wrote off harems entirely I'd probably have to give up half of the anime out there as it is so incredibly pervasive.  Do I wish he'd just pick a girl and get on with life?  Yes!  Will I just have to live with him forever being a virgin?  Probably....  LOL

Still, the story is quite interesting...if you can manage to differentiate all the different timeline/universes.  If only they had maintained the OVA's storyline and quality early in the series and not diverged into random plotlines...it could have been epic.  I still get excited over new Tenchi series.  Got to get around to watching the newest one though.