has discord replaced forums ? -discorssion- (discussion)

XII360

so i "try harded" on that title....please laugh

but yea, recently i've seen  everyone using discord as a means for fast communication's, a sort of "fast forum/community" ? (yea i dont use discord so im not sure what im spouting)

what are your thought's on this !?, do you use discord ?!, do you think its a better, more efficient way to gather information's than the outdated forum's ?!

do you think forum's are of the past, and that discord is that of the future ?

also if you use discord, what's it like compared to forum's ?!, can you compare a forum, with a fast communication messenger like discord ?!

im out of thing's to say so ill end this with a dot 

I do not think that they have replaced forums per se, as the Detective Conan community and Linux communities have many different forums, but I do see Discord mentioned a lot more these days.

Besides, forums like these are easier to follow than the fast paced conversations of Discord, thus easier to join in on.

I have used Discord a few times, but I am not an active user.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wedgy said:

I feel that both forum platforms and Discord fill separate niches in communication

I will second this. 

I have a discord account and run an almost totally private discord server.  The server is for just close friends and family to use when actively playing games.. basically a replacement for teamspeak, though with the "extras" that discord offers in terms of message/file posting and such.  I have channels for the games we play a lot, and a "lounge" area for hanging out.  It has brought the group of us that I used to go to school and game with back together virtually after all of us having dispersed to the four corners after we all got careers/lives after school.  I have no interest or intention of growing the number of users.  I don't find big discord servers generally all that interesting either.  I've seen one or two done well, but I imagine it is a LOT of work, and I have no intention of doing that sort of thing myself.  I've seen a few done very badly (which seems easy to do).  I think discord works best when used for small, well-behaved groups of like-minded individuals that occasionally/regularly want to get together for some realtime interaction, whether it be saturday WoW sessions, tuesday poetry readings, or whatever.

I prefer a non-realtime forum (like this one) as a focal point for news and community regarding things like anime that I like.  I don't have time to attend something like a discord discussion in realtime all the time.  Sometimes I don't log in for days, even weeks.  I work shifts.  I like hearing the views of people in other time zones halfway around the world.  I don't want to stress over not being able to log in daily and possibly missing something "important".  I like being able to log in to catch up and/or post my own stuff on my own schedule.  Forums are best for that sort of thing.

• Informative 1

11 hours ago, Wedgy said:

...Snap, or FB, IG,...

I think I've checked them all out at one time or another, just to see what's what.  Snow, twitter...  Anyone remember Friendster?  MySpace?  ICQ?  Yeah, been there, done that.

Now if you ask me which ones I remember my password for .. that's a different matter entirely. :)  Of the "modern" services I'm really only active on Facebook, and even that mostly just because FB is the only thing some of the younger relatives respond to/thru.  Simple email is apparently too old-school for the youngsters these days, and of course none of them have even heard of things like IRC or newsgroups.

I was going to chime in, but anything I'd have to say about it has already been said.

Yes, I've seen Discord servers result in lower acitivity on forums, but usually those forums were already very low in activity to begin with. So, I don't agree that Discord "kills forums" or whatever. They both satisfy different needs.

I spent about equal time on both Discord and forums, which isn't much at all lol

5 hours ago, Wedgy said:

Couldn't safely pinpoint where they migrated to

I know of quite a few that went to google+ (and Duo).

My main issue with FB is that it is paid for and run for the benefit of advertisers.  (And anyone else with a few $/€/¥/£ and a mass-marketing idea.) There isn't even an option for individuals to pay for their own subscription.  That's a fundamentally broken systen IMHO.  Unless you're a sales/murketing slime of course. :) 

Edited by efaardvark

5 hours ago, Wedgy said:

Snap or IG, or even WhatsApp (which is owned by FB so the writing's on the wall

IG is also FB-owned IIRC.

I'd say if anything, twitter has done that more than Discord has. As some people have said, Discord is a bit fast and therefore harder to follow. More than that though, twitter doesn't have that problem, and thus can be used as effectively as forums. To make things even better, on twitter, you can have a one on one conversation with someone and not be told you need to move it over to PM's (DM's) because there are different connotations there. Also, it's easier to get followers on twitter than on forums that allow for that because you can retweet things, like someone's tweet and add your own thoughts to any tweet and then throw in hashtags that the entirety of twitter might see. I have discord installed on my computer, but I only use it because I watch Twitch streamers and can message a few people here and there without it being seen as off or weird.   

• Informative 1

Discords cool for fast communication but I like forums just as much because you can gather information and ask questions and have it stay out longer and for more people to see!

• Like 1

I really see Discord as an improved group chat in Skype rather than a replacement for forums.  The two can coexist just fine since they really provide two different types of communication as other people have already pointed out.  I've never been a fan of real time communication online with multiple people at once though, so I've only tried it once and wasn't really surprised that it really wasn't for me.

• Like 1