XII360

Stream, Download, Blueray  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Stream, Download, Blueray

• watching at my favorite, anime website, which is streamed, duh~
    • its either downloaded, or not loaded
    • blueray is the only ray in my life of anime <3
    • none. #mangaiscanon

panpakapannn~ so that's a nice way to start a thread.

so as the title say's !, which do you prefer when getting your anime ?, do you watch them online via stream from a website (e.g crunchyroll, kissanime, gogoanime, other streaming sites i (dont) know of), do you prefer downloading the episode and watching it on a video player ?, do you prefer buying the blue ray of the anime ?!, lets have a this cushion (anyone get it ?!)

so incidentally, i prefer my anime, downloaded, i somewhat hate watching stream, (its not that i have bad net, its just that i prefer seeing it at 1080p without having anything open but my video player >:o), i would buy blue ray's, but my budget tells me that i cant be doing such thing's, 

what about you ?!, maybe you prefer neither and just wanna read the manga ?!

I prefer blurays (it gives access to both sub and dub in high quality) but I use streaming sites too, especially if it isn't out on Dvd or bluray yet. A bonus with blurays is thst you get to watch the trailers for other shows in the "Also from..." section. Those trailers have gotten me interested in shows I wouldn't have given a thought to try before. Being able to stream broadens what I watch too since the personal investment is much lower.

• Like 1

I mostly stream anime from legal sources (e.g. FUNimation, Crunchyroll, Amazon Prime, and Hulu).

I cannot afford to download stuff, because the files might have malware, and torrents and NZBs can both be problematic for obtaining stuff, not to mention what you download may not be using the master source (aka. the best quality footage possible).

Also, I have enough anime on my Plex server that I would need approximately 2 TB to hold all of it, seeing as 9 shows and one movie, mostly in HD format, take up almost all of a 128 GB SD card.

As for using sites like KissAnime, I usually stay away from them, unless I really need them, like when I verified if Detective Conan episodes had truly been altered.

Edited by brycec
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

2 minutes ago, brycec said:

I mostly stream anime from legal sources (e.g. FUNimation, Crunchyroll, Amazon Prime, and Hulu).

I cannot afford to download stuff, because the files might have malware, and torrents and NZBs can both be problematic for obtaining stuff, not to mention what you download may not be using the master source....

Same here. Legal sites only (that ensures the developers, publishers, and artists get paid their dues). I am more a hulu and Crunchyroll fan but have been using Netflix lately since I let my hulu subscription lapse.  Downloading has too many risks for me to consider.

1 minute ago, Beocat said:

Same here. Legal sites only (that ensures the developers, publishers, and artists get paid their dues). I am more a hulu and Crunchyroll fan but have been using Netflix lately since I let my hulu subscription lapse.  Downloading has too many risks for me to consider.

I do not use Hulu too often, due to how much overlap it has with Crunchyroll and FUNimation, and would have cancelled it, but family already forced me to resubscribe once before, so no point in cancelling it again.

Crunchyroll has also acted weird on me once, because I had to look up the latest episode myself, even though the last episode, which I watched in the apps for Android, iOS, and Fire TV, all said I had completed that episode.

I've almost always downloaded, although since I've gotten a full-time job I've bought a few more DVDs and Blu-rays since I can afford to. I definitely prefer downloads or a physical copy to subscription services though, even if it's more expensive. 

35 minutes ago, Frith said:

I've almost always downloaded, although since I've gotten a full-time job I've bought a few more DVDs and Blu-rays since I can afford to. I definitely prefer downloads or a physical copy to subscription services though, even if it's more expensive. 

You also do not get to watch the shows whenever you want on a streaming service.

The content is only licensed for a period of time or until the people licensing out the series refuse to let the company renew the series, so I do see the benefit in downloads and Blu Rays.

However, I see streaming services as a try before you buy, or just to watch the things you’ll only watch once, so they do serve a purpose, outside of being safer than torrents, NZBs, and such.

Edited by brycec

I'm "all of the above".  I stream/download everything I can as a kind of preview.  I've had a crunchy premium and a netflix account for years now (also things like Spotify for music), and I've had other accounts (funimation, etc) at various times as seemed interesting or useful.  Content I like upon preview I (re)buy on media I can rip to put on my home server, either DVDs or DRM-free downloads in open codecs.  I've been burned enough times by losing streaming access or authorizations for "protected" media that this just seems the most prudent course.  I have absolutely no problems paying for the stuff I like, but it gets annoying having to re-buy it just because some company decides they need more revenue.  (If it is the actual creators I'm a bit more forgiving, and I've even been known to seek out and support artists directly on sites like Patreon, but the Disneys and Sonys of the world can bite me.)

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

I'm "all of the above".  I stream/download everything I can as a kind of preview.  I've had a crunchy premium and a netflix account for years now (also things like Spotify for music), and I've had other accounts (funimation, etc) at various times as seemed interesting or useful.  Content I like upon preview I (re)buy on media I can rip to put on my home server, either DVDs or DRM-free downloads in open codecs.  I've been burned enough times by losing streaming access or authorizations for "protected" media that this just seems the most prudent course.  I have absolutely no problems paying for the stuff I like, but it gets annoying having to re-buy it just because some company decides they need more revenue.  (If it is the actual creators I'm a bit more forgiving, and I've even been known to seek out and support artists directly on sites like Patreon, but the Disneys and Sonys of the world can bite me.)

You could do things like use an ancient version of iTunes to deal with DRM too.

The companies are mainly target people who want simplicity, but they have yet to learn to give the customer what they want.

In fact, AstroNerdboy recently told me that publishers of any kind of content have thought since the dawn of time that we should be grateful for what they give us.

Still, I like your thinking.

I've done all of the above.  I used to download a lot overnight due to bad internet connection at my parents' house and was still in school so didn't really have the money otherwise.  Later into college I was much more into collecting blu-rays rather than streaming since I had the money then and parents' internet still was ok at best.  After I graduated and moved out on my own, I've solely used my Crunchyroll premium account now that I've got good internet and a TV of my own to work with as well (streaming via the PS4).  Can't really see myself going back to anything else.  For some reason, was always a bit slow in watching blu-rays vs steamed anime, and I really don't have enough time to watch more anime than what Crunchyroll provides anyway.  And yeah, I even fall into the last option at times due to manga usually being better imo.

• Like 1

as i have posted un a prier thread here

I have a few Studio Gibhli movies on DVD but other than that I stream with Crunchyroll , AnimeLab or Netflix as they are the only ones I can currently get here and all three cost me around $25AUD a month

Edited by Wodahs

I download before but after my hard drive died (Rest in Peace), I started streaming. I don't really there is much of a difference, except I won't have the anime videos I wish to bring in the next generation... Or, a collection maybe.

death_note_death_note_ryuk_god_of_death_103321_1920x1080bbbb.jpg

Streaming for me~ I have not upgraded my HD and don't have an external so I don't have enough space to download anime (even if I really want to). I do mostly read manga tho. ^^

16 hours ago, brycec said:

iTunes to deal with DRM

For a long time I did use itunes for music downloads.  Only the DRM-free music files though.  Never any of their videos since they don't offer DRM-free video downloads.  Their "rental" and purchase prices are ridiculous too.  (Seriously, given the effectively eternal copyright lifetimes these days, and with storage space, network bandwidth, and compute power as cheap as they are, the retail cost of a digital movie rental should be maybe $1 at most, even if they're doing something stupid like uniquely-encrypting the content on demand for tracking or other nefarious purposes.  Purchases shouldn't be much more since the server mechanics and therefore the marginal costs of "distribution" are essentially identical.) 

Anyway, itunes video is only playable on apple devices - or the special case of itunes on Windows - and I'm on linux these days.  Music downloads are also problematic for the same reason.  They might technically offer unrestricted music downloads, but I'd need a platform capable of running itunes to do so.  Maybe I could get it working on wine or virtualbox, but that seems like taking things to ridiculous extremes for relatively little gain.  If they don't want to sell to me then I'll oblige by not buying.  It isn't like there isn't plenty of other interesting content out there to download, even for free.

27 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

For a long time I did use itunes for music downloads.  Only the DRM-free music files though.  Never any of their videos since they don't offer DRM-free video downloads.  Their "rental" and purchase prices are ridiculous too.  (Seriously, given the effectively eternal copyright lifetimes these days, and with storage space, network bandwidth, and compute power as cheap as they are, the retail cost of a digital movie rental should be maybe $1 at most, even if they're doing something stupid like uniquely-encrypting the content on demand for tracking or other nefarious purposes.  Purchases shouldn't be much more since the server mechanics and therefore the marginal costs of "distribution" are essentially identical.) 

Anyway, itunes video is only playable on apple devices - or the special case of itunes on Windows - and I'm on linux these days.  Music downloads are also problematic for the same reason.  They might technically offer unrestricted music downloads, but I'd need a platform capable of running itunes to do so.  Maybe I could get it working on wine or virtualbox, but that seems like taking things to ridiculous extremes for relatively little gain.  If they don't want to sell to me then I'll oblige by not buying.  It isn't like there isn't plenty of other interesting content out there to download, even for free.

Actually, except for DRM, the videos will work anything, including Android devices.

Newer and more recent version of iTunes do have the problems you mention, but there is a piece of software that used to be under development that could strip the DRM from video.

Unfortunately, development stopped around the time iTunes 11 came out, so you need to be using iTunes 10.7, hence the reason I said you could you use ancient version of iTunes to deal with DRM.

Sure there's ways around the DRM.  There always is.  Always will be.  If nothing else, the video is ultimately useless to me unless I can view it with my eyes, and if I can do that then I can record it again with a simple camera.  (And if even one person bothers to do that you can bet that the recording will find its way onto the 'Net.)  Until/unless everyone is using cyborg eyes controlled by MPAA-approved software that fact won't change.  But there's a point at which it just isn't worth the trouble.  I'd rather find ways to give money to the artists that produce the content I like in formats I find useful than reward the companies that sell me expensive, inconvenient product, assume I'm a criminal before even making a sale, and divert most of the money to their own pockets instead of the artists'.

2 hours ago, efaardvark said:

I'd rather find ways to give money to the artists that produce the content I like in formats I find useful than reward the companies that sell me expensive, inconvenient product, assume I'm a criminal before even making a sale, and divert most of the money to their own pockets instead of the artists'.

I think that is something we would all want to do, and it is possible for Indie stuff to be released on their own, but groups like the MPAA and RIAA represent those same people who do not realize how tech works and believe that we should be grateful for we get, rather than what we, as consumers, want, so things will not change until those establishments go away and things like releasing stuff worldwide, and that is not helped when self-publishers or other indies decide to sign on with them, though their lives are somewhat easier.

Plus, getting BDs and DVDs take up unnecessary space when all you are going to do is rip them to a hard drive to watch later.

Still, you do make a good point that finding workarounds does get bothersome, and we would have to sacrifice things, like only getting 720p quality video because the provider decided that you needed the latest software to get 1080p and better.

2 hours ago, brycec said:

I think that is something we would all want to do, and it is possible for Indie stuff to be released on their own, but groups like the MPAA and RIAA represent those same people who do not realize how tech works and believe that we should be grateful for we get, rather than what we, as consumers, want, so things will not change until those establishments go away and things like releasing stuff worldwide, and that is not helped when self-publishers or other indies decide to sign on with them, though their lives are somewhat easier. 

Yes, all the more reason to avoid buying from the bad players. 

I really wish someone would come up with a mainstream approach that could reliably connect artists more directly to fans, without having to funnel the money through all those greedy middlemen.  Crowdfunding is working in some cases, but it is still kind of "fringe", and not (yet?) perceived as reliable by the artists.  Newer artists seem more amenable to things like Patreon, but for existing artists it is still something of a leap of faith.  Most of those who decide to "go indie" seem to wind up in advertiser-sponsored systems like youtube or facebook which, though different, are still fundamentally broken, and don't really move the artists any closer to the fans.

1 hour ago, brycec said:

Plus, getting BDs and DVDs take up unnecessary space..

Actually, I kind of like getting a physical disc.  I use them as backups of last resort.  Sure I could just burn my own copy from a download, but the ones you get from the factory are made differently (pressed, rather than "burned") so they last longer, especially if you don't happen to have a climate-controlled bunker for your personal archive. :)  Also, a lot of early stuff I ripped from DVD when HD space was still relatively expensive and all I had was standard-definition displays, so I over-compressed them and/or used lower encoding resolution to conserve drive space.  The encoding s/w back then was often pretty poor and CPUs slow too, so it took a reeeely long time and often didn't do a very good job even at lower compression.  It was nice (if a bit time-consuming) to be able to go back and re-rip some things from original sources to better quality now that we have better software, more storage, faster CPUs, and HD displays.

The trick is making sure you still have player soft/hardware for the discs when your HD crashes and you need to re-rip everything 20 years down the line.  These days I have a RAIDed NAS with plenty of space on my LAN (and an off-site copy of my all my data, including my entertainment) so that's not such an issue anymore, but I still like having the original media as backups.  There's also usually some interesting/cool material included along with physical discs that you don't get with downloads.  If nothing else you get the packaging artwork, which is sometimes even good enough to display somewhere.

Bluray and occasionally stream if I want to check out an anime or if I can't buy it anywhere. Otherwise Bluray/DVD is my main choice since I like to have the physical copies so I can watch whenever I want and I like to collect them as well. 

On 6/30/2018 at 7:41 PM, brycec said:

However, I see streaming services as a try before you buy, or just to watch the things you’ll only watch once, so they do serve a purpose, outside of being safer than torrents, NZBs, and such.

That's exactly how I use the streaming sites. If I'm really into the anime then I'll end up purchasing it both digitally and in optical formats. 

I've always streamed because it seemed like the most cost effective way to watch, but I think I might start downloading for when I go on trips and such.

I've also been thinking about purchasing some of my favorites on bluray, like the new Toradora set!