Jump to content
EnviousEnvy

What Are Your Phobias

Recommended Posts

Anyone on here have any weird phobias or just phobias in general? If so post 'em here because I want to know!!

I can only think of one and that is:

-submechanophobia (sp) 

A fear of seeing man made objects under water

Any time I watch a movie, see a picture or play a game and I see a boat, plane, car, etc. I get the heebie jeebies and even want to puke (made playing the first few parts of Uncharted a pain). Most of the time I have to just stop and get out of there quickly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None that I can think of actually.  I've jumped out of planes, climbed up and down the side of canyons (which was only scary when the girl above me nearly fell to her death in front of me.  Thankfully I was under an overhang so she wouldn't have taken me out.  Heart attack anyone?  She was a lot less reckless after that), dive with hundreds of sharks, hike through the woods, prefer the dark and night, aren't bothered by snakes (but do respect them!), can tolerate spiders (though I don't like them I'm certainly not like some people that I know who would burn the house down to kill a single spider), stared down the barrel of a gun, not afraid of dogs (even though I have a scar on my face from a dog attack when I was a child)....  None of that has ever "scared me".  So I guess no phobias.  My brother is terrified of clowns hehe.....  :naughty:  I think I know what I'm doing this Halloween....

 

I'm pretty good at compartmentalizing things when needed, so I'm sure that helps when I'm under stress. In the past, when things have happened that should have terrified me (like being pulled underwater by another person, driving on black ice, tornados, etc), I just put the terror and panic into one place and let my logical side and any training I have to deal with situations take over. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's see... Nyctophobia (fear of darkness), Monophobia (fear of being alone), Batrachophobia (fear of amphibians), Herpetophobia (fear of reptiles) and social phobia (aka social anxiety disorder).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AniMeFReaK said:

social phobia (aka social anxiety disorder).

this, i also have it, but i sometimes beat it, and manage to converse, but 90% of the time, my heart will beat faster than usual, and i just cant seem to talk to other people i dont know, i can beat it by being somewhat just saying {profanity warning} "f*ck it" and going, but 90% of the time, i get chills and stop and negate whatever anyone says i should do

aside from talking to people, i say im not really a phobiatic person ?

 

21 hours ago, EnviousEnvy said:

Anyone on here have any weird phobias or just phobias in general? If so post 'em here because I want to know!!

wait a minute-- what will you do with such information's!?, are you part of the fbi thats collecting social information in forums !/!? (iz a joke incase you didnt know ;o)

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, XII360 said:

this, i also have it, but i sometimes beat it, and manage to converse, but 90% of the time, my heart will beat faster than usual, and i just cant seem to talk to other people i dont know, i can beat it by being somewhat just saying {profanity warning} "f*ck it" and going, but 90% of the time, i get chills and stop and negate whatever anyone says i should do

aside from talking to people, i say im not really a phobiatic person ?

 

wait a minute-- what will you do with such information's!?, are you part of the fbi thats collecting social information in forums !/!? (iz a joke incase you didnt know ;o)

Oh crap you caught me. Dang it my cover is blown...

Honestly though I just have a odd curiosity that needs to be fed?? Lol.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aki, the older brother of the two of us has a really dodgy one that we actually can’t find a name for. He’s afraid of the sound of gas cookers. Specifically cookers. Barbecues are fine, boilers are fine, aerosols are fine, it’s just gas cookers, and only the sound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have any freak-out phobias, but I am not fond of heights, and I definitely don't like large groups of people, especially in a crush like a subway at rush hour.  You will never find me in Times Square on New Year's Eve.  :)  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always been afraid of being alone for a long period of time. That's kind of pathetic for me to say, because as a bigger, fit guy I don't really have much to worry about, but my upbringing really made me fear loneliness.

Bees scare the hell out of me. Just this last year, I sat outside of the dugout for an entire playoff game because there was a bee flying around inside.

Really long lines piss me off, and kind of intimidate me. I had a dream about being stuck in an endless line once, and it scared the hell out of me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/4/2018 at 9:14 AM, efaardvark said:

I definitely don't like large groups of people, especially in a crush like a subway at rush hour.  You will never find me in Times Square on New Year's Eve.

Me too...me too! 👍Honestly I think it has a lot to do with the all the weird smells and vibes that happen when large amounts of people kongregate together. 

Edited by Oakmi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suffer from social anxiety and spiders. Spiders scare me beyond belief. Those are two of my phobia's. Especially when I'm in a big crowd and can't seem to get past anyone. It makes me feel as if I'm being suffocated. Social Anxiety is a phobia because I always fear that I'll come across as stupid or something if I approach someone first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thalassophobia. That would be the ocean. Deep water in general sometimes has an effect on me. The idea of being on a boat totally petrifies me. My mother made the decision to cremate and spread my dad's ashes over the ocean and she rented a boat to do it. I missed it because I had a panic attack before boarding and was sick from it. Of course this was the first time I'd realised I had that problem. I don't know why I hate it so much, maybe it's more a fear of the unknown or what lurks in the deep. I've had panic attacks in swimming pools. Just something about water, man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My phobia? Negative, toxic people coming into my positive inner circle. That and hard pizza. It’s painful to bite through!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Wedgy said:

Thalassophobia. That would be the ocean. Deep water in general sometimes has an effect on me. The idea of being on a boat totally petrifies me. My mother made the decision to cremate and spread my dad's ashes over the ocean and she rented a boat to do it. I missed it because I had a panic attack before boarding and was sick from it. Of course this was the first time I'd realised I had that problem. I don't know why I hate it so much, maybe it's more a fear of the unknown or what lurks in the deep. I've had panic attacks in swimming pools. Just something about water, man.

~hugs~  As a Divemaster who has seen a lot helping with classes and swimming in the deep, I have a ponder...

 

Maybe you don't remember it, but might you have ever had a near drowning experience in your past (or early childhood)?  I had one student who I was spending extra attention on as he was having difficulty with mask clears in the pool in a Review class.  I suspected something had happened but since he didn't remember....  Come to find out, he nearly died in an out of air incident wearing a full-face mask (with no training or familiarity with the mask).  He had no recollection - he had completely blocked out the memory (multiple times he told me he didn't remember why he quit diving in the first place).  He talked to his father over lunch who recounted the entire story to him and his father forbade him from continuing the class (understandably so).  It is just as well.  Every time a little water would seep into his mask he would nearly go into a full-blown panic.  He never would have been able to actually dive unless he spent a lot of time coming to terms with that experience.  My mother also had a near drowning experience in her childhood and to this day she will not place her head completely under the water (she is at least okay wearing a SCUBA mask and snorkeling from the surface.  That took a few weekends at the beach to get her okay with even...full on SCUBA is out of the question for her, even with a Xanax lol). 

 

I'm sorry water has that effect on you.  Still, there's always the mountains if not the beach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a few phobias, but my main one is arachnophobia.  I have a big fear of spiders, but it's not as strong as it once was, but if you put one in front of me, I'll still scream or shriek.

I have a slight fear of heights, which is ironic since I've used a plane more than once.  I guess, for me, it's like I'm okay if I'm strapped down or have a seat belt or whatever. I have an issue if I have to get on step stool or a ladder or whatever. I blame it on bad balance. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2018 at 8:59 AM, Beocat said:

~hugs~  As a Divemaster who has seen a lot helping with classes and swimming in the deep, I have a ponder...

 

Maybe you don't remember it, but might you have ever had a near drowning experience in your past (or early childhood)?  I had one student who I was spending extra attention on as he was having difficulty with mask clears in the pool in a Review class.  I suspected something had happened but since he didn't remember....  Come to find out, he nearly died in an out of air incident wearing a full-face mask (with no training or familiarity with the mask).  He had no recollection - he had completely blocked out the memory (multiple times he told me he didn't remember why he quit diving in the first place).  He talked to his father over lunch who recounted the entire story to him and his father forbade him from continuing the class (understandably so).  It is just as well.  Every time a little water would seep into his mask he would nearly go into a full-blown panic.  He never would have been able to actually dive unless he spent a lot of time coming to terms with that experience.  My mother also had a near drowning experience in her childhood and to this day she will not place her head completely under the water (she is at least okay wearing a SCUBA mask and snorkeling from the surface.  That took a few weekends at the beach to get her okay with even...full on SCUBA is out of the question for her, even with a Xanax lol). 

 

I'm sorry water has that effect on you.  Still, there's always the mountains if not the beach.

Sorry, I totally spaced responding to this.

Come to think of it I've had drowning... experiences but they didn't involve any deep water. I never connected them to this anxiety I feel however since there was a lot more to it, and everything else that happened to me didn't have a similar outcome at least not that I've noticed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm scared of heights! I can't even ride roller coasters because of this! 😫

I also don't like anything in groups like millions of ants together or many holes in one area. Gives me goosebumps!!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2018 at 12:53 PM, piiachu said:

I also don't like anything in groups like millions of ants together...

You would have loved my kitchen last week.  For a while I was debating the merits of incendiary devices.  Fortunately it didn't come to that, but it was close.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, efaardvark said:

You would have loved my kitchen last week.  For a while I was debating the merits of incendiary devices.  Fortunately it didn't come to that, but it was close.

Hahaha. If you were close to using those devices, then it might have been a serious ants meeting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Trypophobia - which is a fear of holes or things like it, such as lotus seed pods, alot of eyes on a creature, clutters of small creatures like ants, flies etc, papayi seeds..... etc. My skin crawls and itches if I look or think about them and if I look at them too long, I black out and there is a strong chance that I can go psychotic and kill people just to feel safe again. 

 

I also have a fear of falling/heights,  feeling pain,  and I dislike when too many people are staring at me, but my Trypophobia condition is 1000Xs worse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Cynophobia which is the fear of dogs. I have bitten as a small child around age 6 or 7 this imprinted badly on me. Now as I have geown up I have become far better at manging this in a few ways. I like the channel animal planet which helped me understand them a bit more. As is often the case when one understands something they feel a bit more comfortable. Though it was really a couple hands on experiences on that happened as recently as last year that has really helped with this. Now with the bigger dogs like German Shepard forget it I won;t touch, won't gp near, won't even have anything to do with them. Though with smaller terrier type dogs, or labs I am okay on a dog by dog basis.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Germs, I hate germs and I hate being sick and being next to something filthy is extremely unnerving and scary. 

Also I am Claustrophobic, I start to hyperventilate when I get stuck in tight spaces and feel like I might die; even in elevators with lots of people cramped together or something like that I eventually freak out and try to shove everyone away from as quick as possible so I can catch my breath. 

Edited by SAO LILDOOP
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say I'm scared of heights. Also I probably have Thalassophobia to an extent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Anime Forums is where fans from around the world can gather to discuss anime and Japanese culture!  All anime fans are welcome. Take a moment to join us now!
×