I need something gritty

Question

Something like FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain, Akira, Elfen Lied. Post-apocalyptic would be perfect, but I just feel an itch for something with mercenaries, loads of violence, guns, gangs, whatever. Just what I'm in the mood for. Anybody got anything?

• Like 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

11 answers to this question

Kaiji is a great one. It’s about this guy who gets caught up in a yakuza gambling scheme, and if he loses he’ll be sold into slavery. Oh, and there’s a spin off about one of the ‘villains’ airing this season.

It’s probably not quite gritty enough for you, but Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens was a pretty fun series from the winter about assassins.

Finally, this is a different sort of gritty, but we want to mention it anyway because it’s brilliant. Kuzu no Honkai is a gritty romance about cheating and deception. We consider it to be the absolute best anime in years. It’s also incredibly polarising, some people hate it. 

Edited by the_twig

Hmmm....  You ask for much nuance there Wedgy....  We shall see if I am capable of delivering...

1.  The Big O  ~  So, post-apocalyptic (living in domes, there are submerged cities), gritty in an Arkham way....  If you have never seen this anime, I highly recommend it.  It is a classic (and often described as Anime's Batman).  The first half is episodic but will give you the opportunity to become familiar with the main characters as well as the gangs and other characters that will become important later in the show.  The second half is a story arc where the story continues from episode to episode.  It is mecha but one of my personal favorites. 

2.  Solty Rei  ~  This is one that I love but rarely recommend.  I'm just not sure that most people would fall in love with it like I did.  It is "sort of" post apocalyptic...a terrible tradgedy occurred some years ago that separated many families and changed what some family members even looked like.  I don't want to give away the storyline, but I would consider it very gritty with a sweet undertone.  It really focuses in on a relationship you rarely get to see in anime.

3.  Outlaw Star  ~  Man...all the anime I seem to name are oldies LOL  This one, I'm not sure if I would call it gritty, but it is interesting and has lots of action to go around.  Since you enjoyed Cowboy Bepop, you might like the vibe it gives you (being a Space Opera/Western kind of anime).  If you've never seen it, give a few episodes a try and find out.  This anime is the origins of my favorite anime quote (that I actually use in real life) so it has a special place in my heart. 

4.  Blassreiter  ~  HAHAHA....never thought I'd ever mention this one.  Okay, so this is very unique.  Gritty for sure...maybe not gangs but lots of violence.  It is short so you won't be investing too much time into it.  Really makes one feel....bad LOL.  Gritty for sure.  I felt it to be a bit preachy towards the end but...eh....what can you do?  Lots of anime like to preach....

5.  Texhnolyze  ~  Alright, this one I never actually finished so here comes my disclaimer:  Cannot verify this is the anime you are looking for.  That being said, it is gritty and weird and full of violence (at least the first few episodes are).  Not an anime for everyone for sure.  I plan on finishing it someday, but it'll have to be one episode at time.

If you haven't already you may want to check this out. I've been reading the manga recently since it's getting a rerelease.

[mal type=anime id=1016] 

• Like 1

Mardock Scramble fits the bill

[mal type=anime id=8100]

Great movie trilogy. Lovely soundtrack too.

Edited by awesomedude20
On 7/4/2018 at 8:37 AM, Beocat said:

4.  Blassreiter  ~  HAHAHA....never thought I'd ever mention this one.  Okay, so this is very unique.  Gritty for sure...maybe not gangs but lots of violence.  It is short so you won't be investing too much time into it.  Really makes one feel....bad LOL.  Gritty for sure.  I felt it to be a bit preachy towards the end but...eh....what can you do?  Lots of anime like to preach....

5.  Texhnolyze  ~  Alright, this one I never actually finished so here comes my disclaimer:  Cannot verify this is the anime you are looking for.  That being said, it is gritty and weird and full of violence (at least the first few episodes are).  Not an anime for everyone for sure.  I plan on finishing it someday, but it'll have to be one episode at time.

These two actually caught my attention, and were both available on CR. (cheers!) These are actually exactly the sort of anime I'm looking for. Thanks! Gonna start these after I finish up Bungo.

On 7/4/2018 at 4:57 AM, the_twig said:

Finally, this is a different sort of gritty, but we want to mention it anyway because it’s brilliant. Kuzu no Honkai is a gritty romance about cheating and deception. We consider it to be the absolute best anime in years. It’s also incredibly polarising, some people hate it. 

I've heard of this one before, actually. Unfortunately I'm having difficulties finding a stream. I'd probably give it a chance, though, if I could find one.

On 7/4/2018 at 2:25 PM, awesomedude20 said:

Mardock Scramble fits the bill

It looks good, but, ditto the previous response, if I could just find a stream somewhere I'd watch it for sure.

On 7/4/2018 at 1:29 PM, Frith said:

If you haven't already you may want to check this out. I've been reading the manga recently since it's getting a rerelease.

This looks solid, I'll keep an eye out for it.

On 7/4/2018 at 11:56 AM, Book Lover said:

Psycho-Pass
Attack on Titan
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Claymore
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica Don't judge just watch
91 Days

I've seen AoT (s1), both FMA, Claymore, and Madoka Magica, but 91 Days caught my eye and I've added it to my CR queue to peek at later. Thanks!

Thank you everyone for the recommendations.

Edited by Wedgy
7 hours ago, Wedgy said:

I've heard of this one before, actually. Unfortunately I'm having difficulties finding a stream. I'd probably give it a chance, though, if I could find one.

It was on Amazon Prime, at least in the UK. Not Strike, just Prime, so it’s free as long as you pay that base yearly subscription. It’s listed under Scum’s Wish.

There are actually a decent number of shows on Prime, including Shinsekai Yori, GTO, and if you’re in the USA (screw you licensers), Princess Tutu.

3 hours ago, the_twig said:

It was on Amazon Prime, at least in the UK. Not Strike, just Prime, so it’s free as long as you pay that base yearly subscription. It’s listed under Scum’s Wish.

There are actually a decent number of shows on Prime, including Shinsekai Yori, GTO, and if you’re in the USA (screw you licensers), Princess Tutu.

Aha, there it is. Many thanks! I added it to my list.

8 hours ago, Renee said:

GANGSTA

I'm more or less amused by the fact that this is the name, but I found it on Hulu. Looks really good. Thank you

On 7/14/2018 at 12:18 AM, Wedgy said:

It looks good, but, ditto the previous response, if I could just find a stream somewhere I'd watch it for sure.

You mean a place to watch it?

masterani.me - https://www.masterani.me/anime/info/1501-mardock-scramble-the-first-compression

kissanime.ru - http://kissanime.ru/Anime/Mardock-Scramble-The-First-Compression-Sub

If you're the type for legal sites, well uh. It's actually on steam, for rent or for purchase LOL

Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/518520/Mardock_Scramble_The_First_Compression/

(Do keep in mind that for each of those, I've only linked the first movie. There are 2 more movies after the first one.)

• Like 1