Help Name the Kitten!

Beocat

Good morning all,

So the past month I've probably (definitely) pulled back a bit from my usual posting...and the reason is that I rescued a tiny 11 day old kitten in my backyard.  Now, I waited and gave the mother cat plenty of chances to come get her first (13 hours from the time I first heard her screaming) and her mother even came to our backporch to eat and still left her behind.  Now that we know she had had a litter of 7 (Yes.  Insane.) it is a bit more understandable why she left the little one behind. 

So, here I am, every two to three hours up feeding and helping this kitten use the bathroom, getting him rehydrated and worrying over every little aspect of kittenhood...yes...I admit...I felt comatose most days.  I haven't done much of anything other than crave sleep and focus on cooking when I can.  I am shocked that this kitten is two to three times smaller than his/her siblings but according to our vet, that is normal for the runt.  The important thing is that she is SO much healthier than when I first rescued her and she has finally (at weeks 3-4 old) started putting on weight (yes, she is the size of a 2 week old kitten, but developmentally she is at the right stage!).  Anyways, the vet has been flip-flopping on the gender so now we are at 90% certainty of the little one being a girl.  While my husband has already picked out a boy's name, I have been extremely undecided on a girl's name.

A little background on the kitten.  She is a black kitten.  Her eyes might still change color so we aren't going to state those.  She is super tiny but strong (was strong from 11 days old crawling blindly through the tall grass in our backyard looking desperately for her mom).  She might be bicolor (as in black and a near black gray.  I think it'll blend into one color as she ages). 

The names I had come up with for her were Saratoga (for her purr), Galatea (for my love of astronomy - it ironically means "she who is milky-white" lol), and Aurora but I'm not really set on anything.  I keep hoping a name will grab me (Saratoga had initially when her purr sounded like a horse running down a track).  Anyways, does anyone here have any suggestions?  I won't guarantee that your suggestions will be used, but I'm hoping something else will grab me or reassure me that I might already have the right name.  By the way, no Japanese names (one of my former coworkers suggested some Japanese names and he blew her up on Facebook lol  -  sounds bad but the whole conversation between the two of them was actually quite comical).

• Like 2
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

1 hour ago, Beocat said:

Good morning all,

So the past month I've probably (definitely) pulled back a bit from my usual posting...and the reason is that I rescued a tiny 11 day old kitten in my backyard.  Now, I waited and gave the mother cat plenty of chances to come get her first (13 hours from the time I first heard her screaming) and her mother even came to our backporch to eat and still left her behind.  Now that we know she had had a litter of 7 (Yes.  Insane.) it is a bit more understandable why she left the little one behind. 

So, here I am, every two to three hours up feeding and helping this kitten use the bathroom, getting him rehydrated and worrying over every little aspect of kittenhood...yes...I admit...I felt comatose most days.  I haven't done much of anything other than crave sleep and focus on cooking when I can.  I am shocked that this kitten is two to three times smaller than his/her siblings but according to our vet, that is normal for the runt.  The important thing is that she is SO much healthier than when I first rescued her and she has finally (at weeks 3-4 old) started putting on weight (yes, she is the size of a 2 week old kitten, but developmentally she is at the right stage!).  Anyways, the vet has been flip-flopping on the gender so now we are at 90% certainty of the little one being a girl.  While my husband has already picked out a boy's name, I have been extremely undecided on a girl's name.

A little background on the kitten.  She is a black kitten.  Her eyes might still change color so we aren't going to state those.  She is super tiny but strong (was strong from 11 days old crawling blindly through the tall grass in our backyard looking desperately for her mom).  She might be bicolor (as in black and a near black gray.  I think it'll blend into one color as she ages). 

The names I had come up with for her were Saratoga (for her purr), Galatea (for my love of astronomy - it ironically means "she who is milky-white" lol), and Aurora but I'm not really set on anything.  I keep hoping a name will grab me (Saratoga had initially when her purr sounded like a horse running down a track).  Anyways, does anyone here have any suggestions?  I won't guarantee that your suggestions will be used, but I'm hoping something else will grab me or reassure me that I might already have the right name.  By the way, no Japanese names (one of my former coworkers suggested some Japanese names and he blew her up on Facebook lol  -  sounds bad but the whole conversation between the two of them was actually quite comical).

i named my two cats, male eon(his black-ish, but my dad calls him "tiger"), while the female, i named ion (white-ish, and ofcourse they named her "sunshine")

but i prefer calling them eon/ion, as its easy to say, and ion (tiny molecules), and eon (light years away, but mainly couse its close to the wordings of "ion")

if i were to name another black cat...i would most likely name him mion, (pronounced as "mi-yon") as its also easy and sophisticated on the name ;o

i also like the galatea name, saratoga...feels hard on pronounciation, and making it short-named into "sara" feels...wierd

"gala" feels fun though, if it was shortened, and wouldn't be confused on anyone's name, as we dont see any people with the name "gala"

eitherway, hope kitty gets to have fun living with you ;o

Those are some cool names you've got there! Tough little kitty. <3

Names I'd suggest for a female black kitty:

1. Carbon. Because I am a scientist. Also because carbon is arguably one of the most important elements in life. It takes many forms (as your kitty will... maybe she's a diamond when she's behaving or maybe she's akin to a buckyball while rolling around and making a mess.) and also is somewhat neutral of a name in case the kitty is actually male.

2. Andromeda. Since you said you like astronomy, this seems appropriate. Also kinda cute-ironic bc Andromeda is huge and your kitten is tiny ^^

3. Planchette. Not sure if you're into occult stuff, but I love this name for blackish cats. 

Good luck with the kitty and please let us know his/her name~

1 hour ago, XII360 said:

i named my two cats, male eon(his black-ish, but my dad calls him "tiger"), while the female, i named ion (white-ish, and ofcourse they named her "sunshine")

but i prefer calling them eon/ion, as its easy to say, and ion (tiny molecules), and eon (light years away, but mainly couse its close to the wordings of "ion")

if i were to name another black cat...i would most likely name him mion, (pronounced as "mi-yon") as its also easy and sophisticated on the name ;o

i also like the galatea name, saratoga...feels hard on pronounciation, and making it short-named into "sara" feels...wierd

"gala" feels fun though, if it was shortened, and wouldn't be confused on anyone's name, as we dont see any people with the name "gala"

Eon and Ion are adorable names. ^^

• Like 1

4 hours ago, XII360 said:

Haha, you and your folks naming wars reminds me of my and my husband.  The girls we already have are actually the aunts of this kitten here and although we have names for them, I've given each of them a nickname that I use on a weekly basis.  My husband is pushing against Galatea so that one might not make it, no matter how much I like it.  =/

2 hours ago, alupacard said:

1. Carbon. Because I am a scientist. Also because carbon is arguably one of the most important elements in life. It takes many forms (as your kitty will... maybe she's a diamond when she's behaving or maybe she's akin to a buckyball while rolling around and making a mess.) and also is somewhat neutral of a name in case the kitty is actually male.

2. Andromeda. Since you said you like astronomy, this seems appropriate. Also kinda cute-ironic bc Andromeda is huge and your kitten is tiny ^^

3. Planchette. Not sure if you're into occult stuff, but I love this name for blackish cats. 

Good luck with the kitty and please let us know his/her name~

I have considered Andromeda as well.  I might have better luck getting that one through than Galatea. 

• Like 1

We have two female cats called Mort and Pestilence. They are of course named after two of the four horsemen of the apocalypse. We went for Mort over Death because it just sounds nicer in French, and Death felt too edgy. Pestilence is not really a commonly used word any more so we decided to just stick with it.

Mormolyceum (also called simply Mormo) was a Greek spectre and a servant of Hecate, goddess of magic, crossroads, and necromancy. She was effectively the Greek version of the Bogeyman, so it seems kind of fitting for the abandoned runt to rise up.

Jumping over to the Celts, they've got some cool stuff.

A Leanan Sidh (lee-an-an-she) is a friendly (?) vampire-like faerie who will grant you proficiency in the arts in return for allowing her to siphon some of your life (although not enough to kill you). While Leanan Sidh is a bit of a mouthful, you could easily shorten it to Leanan, or just Lea.

A Silky is a spirit who cleans the house while people sleep. While you cannot see them you can sometimes hear their silk clothes rubbing against each other as they move around. They are actually the same thing as the more famous Banshees, but have not been corrupted by death.

6 hours ago, alupacard said:

Good luck with the kitty and please let us know his/her name~ "<-- please let us know~ - xii360"

..highkey, i like planchette one >.>...

thanks ;o

edit;

4 hours ago, Beocat said:

Haha, you and your folks naming wars reminds me of my and my husband.  The girls we already have are actually the aunts of this kitten here and although we have names for them, I've given each of them a nickname that I use on a weekly basis.  My husband is pushing against Galatea so that one might not make it, no matter how much I like it.  =/

I have considered Andromeda as well.  I might have better luck getting that one through than Galatea. 

glad my cat's seem to understand when i call them ion/eon tho, it seems i have more affection points to them than my parents >:o, 

or they just want more cat food...could be that >.> 

no matter the name given, let us know it ^_^

Edited by XII360
if a cat say's meow...would it be meow..or me-wow ?

Saratoga sounds really lovely (and she could be Sara for short, or Toga if she somehow ends up being a he after all)

My brain first went to Artemis for some reason (before seeing Saratoga), though I couldn't tell you why

Just to throw out some pseudo-random ideas.. The Baron (Whisper of the Heart), Tsumiki Miniwa (Acchi Kocchi), Eris, Kuune, or Melwin (Asobi ni Iku yo!), or Nimitz (from Weber's Honor Harrington series of books).

For a black(ish) cat specifically maybe Kamineko (from Azumanga Daioh), Kuroneko (Trigun), or Jiji (Kiki's Delivery Service)?

Finally, and not really good for a kitten but still on the subject of cat names, a friend has a (fat) older cat we've (re)named Catbus.  :D 

20 hours ago, the_twig said:

We have two female cats called Mort and Pestilence. They are of course named after two of the four horsemen of the apocalypse. We went for Mort over Death because it just sounds nicer in French, and Death felt too edgy. Pestilence is not really a commonly used word any more so we decided to just stick with it.

Mormolyceum (also called simply Mormo) was a Greek spectre and a servant of Hecate, goddess of magic, crossroads, and necromancy. She was effectively the Greek version of the Bogeyman, so it seems kind of fitting for the abandoned runt to rise up.

Jumping over to the Celts, they've got some cool stuff.

A Leanan Sidh (lee-an-an-she) is a friendly (?) vampire-like faerie who will grant you proficiency in the arts in return for allowing her to siphon some of your life (although not enough to kill you). While Leanan Sidh is a bit of a mouthful, you could easily shorten it to Leanan, or just Lea.

A Silky is a spirit who cleans the house while people sleep. While you cannot see them you can sometimes hear their silk clothes rubbing against each other as they move around. They are actually the same thing as the more famous Banshees, but have not been corrupted by death.

Awesome! My pet kittens (More like my little sisters) were called Death, War, Pestilence and Famine; funny thing though, famine was obese compared to the others. 

Edited by SAO LILDOOP

What about Necahual? It's from Nahuatl/Aztec descent and means 'Left behind' and 'Survivor', which seems fitting since the kitten has managed to survive even after being left behind by it's mother.

Or perhaps Pluto. The planet (technically not considered a planet anymore) was named after the Roman god of the underworld and is the smallest planet in the solar system, which is also seems fitting since your kitten was the runt of it's litter. 

@the_twig @ItsSammy Well, I already shot down my husband's suggestion for being not a positive name.  I want this kitten to have a happy name. She might've been abandoned, but I don't want her branded as unwanted.  My folks made it pretty clear that I was the "oops.  If we weren't married we would've aborted you since you weren't planned" child and that has always weighed heavily on my mind.  I'm sure she wouldn't know,  but I would everytime I referred to her in that manner.

@efaardvark  Catbus….hehe...reminds me in a way of Fat Daddy.  When we rescued Aida from the Humane Society (and yes....she needed rescuing from THEM.  I could go on for days all the hardships she endured from those embezzling people) she was sharing a cage with a giant, declawed house cat named "Fat Daddy."  They had both been there together for 5 months (while all the other cats were adopted.  I'm not sure why people passed her and him over.  She is a sweet cat and him being declawed is a bonus for some people.) and when my husband told me to go get her, he thought that getting him too was also implied.  I returned 6 hours later to get him and found he had been adopted out (and 3 other people had come in looking to adopt him inbetween that and me so at least he went to a home that wanted him). 

@Frith I like where you are going with that line of thinking.  But Agnes makes me think of Ms. Agnes from my first job.  Bless her soul.  I think she might have finally retired....she was at least 80 back then....

@Kohloo I still like Saratoga too.  I can't use Artemis (my mind went there too truthfully).  My sister's second dog was called Artemis (I nicknamed her Arty) and I can't say the name without thinking about her.  For having eaten my Justice League DVD boxset I had gotten for my birthday and ripped up my expensive leather jacket and being utterly prejudiced against my mom's  mums....she was still a real good dog.  She had a true heart of gold and the brains of a felon hehe...odd combination but it worked.  I think my mom and dad miss her the most.  And the mailman (he used to race her down the street in his mailtruck until her arthritis in her hip got too bad.  When she couldn't race him anymore, he'd bring her milkbones and give them to her every day by the mailbox.).  She was the first dog they ever let in the house (after she finally outgrew her chewing phase).  When they buried her, they cried.  I don't remember my sister crying like they did. 

@KingKahuna  I might have to think about Sol...  It would be a good compromise between myself and my husband if nothing else.

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1