Creative Corner - Closed and Archived

Optic

Hi everyone,

Today the Creative Corner is being closed and archived.

It's original intent was to showcase merchandise, creative projects, drawings and fan fiction.

Unfortunately the vast majority of topics created in this section have been YouTube channel posts which makes it REALLY difficult to discuss at a forum level.

This is not an attack against those that followed the eligibility rules to use the section when the section was created. Unfortunately, the section has resulted in a prime area for new visitors to advertise their channels.

I am considering a Link Directory as a POSSIBLE future replacement but have no ETA on this. Of course you are still welcome to advertise your channel in your profile and signature.

Thank you to those that followed the rules and apologies for any inconvenience caused.

If we want to still wanted to show things such as our Art, Projects and anything we would have put in Creative corner where do you suggest we create the topic?

Edited by Greeneyes
Spelling Mistake

1 hour ago, Greeneyes said:

If we want to still wanted to show things such as our Art, Projects and anything we would have put in Creative corner where do you suggest we create the topic?

for art, im sure we have a gallery for that (atleast, im assuming thats the purpose of the gallery...right guys ?)

though aside from that, i dont think we can post any link-related-outside of anime outside our profile/avatar?

i post my arts in my profile page (while its not finished) and post it on gallery when its done at the very least ;o

Yeah, I can see how it got abused, since hardly anyone does artwork and fan fiction these days. We get a few, so it is not dead, but people have moved on to making videos and a lot of them just seem to be the simplest kind that do not require any effort (e.g. text and still images only), so the only thing that could be done about them is to suggest they do otherwise.

Videos could work for a creative area in some regards, but only if there is something more than something that could have been done in a blog post.

I think people still do them but post under anonymous means, especially fanfiction since a large portion of them turn into lemons. 

I would be interested in making a youtube channel myself but I don't have the technology to do it well (so I don't). Still, the random posts with a link to a video that were going on were crappy advertising attempts. You get far better advertising by interacting with people, commenting on important subjects and having the link on your profile or signature so that as people become interested in what you have to say they have a place they can go as opposed to indiscriminate spam. 

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Beocat said:

I think people still do them but post under anonymous means, especially fanfiction since a large portion of them turn into lemons.

They certainly do, though the Internet is pretty anonymous right now, considering how most places use dynamic IP addresses, so one would need both the time and the IP address to track things down, though I am probably sure the ISP have some way of logging which customer had which IP at the time.

As for the other part of your post, it is more about knowing how to use your tools than what you use. I have wanted to get into doing video reviews, as there are thing I cannot do in textual format, even if I put in loads of loads of images, thereby sacrificing load times, but the annoyance of the companies in the entertainment industry and what they do on sites like YouTube makes me want to stay away from it.

I do agree completely with your assessment of the link only posts, and how to attract people properly on sites though.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2018 at 8:03 AM, Optic said:

@Greeneyes I noticed you have created 2 albums in the Gallery already, and they are also visible on your Profile - so you can just promote them in your signature and profile for now.

What about Stories, non promotion videos, Art discussion etc.

20 hours ago, brycec said:

They certainly do, though the Internet is pretty anonymous right now, considering how most places use dynamic IP addresses, so one would need both the time and the IP address to track things down, though I am probably sure the ISP have some way of logging which customer had which IP at the time.

As for the other part of your post, it is more about knowing how to use your tools than what you use. I have wanted to get into doing video reviews, as there are thing I cannot do in textual format, even if I put in loads of loads of images, thereby sacrificing load times, but the annoyance of the companies in the entertainment industry and what they do on sites like YouTube makes me want to stay away from it.

I do agree completely with your assessment of the link only posts, and how to attract people properly on sites though.

The internet is pretty anonymous, but as a forum member you build up a reputation on the forum.  Any fanfiction you post will be tied back to your forum identity and possibly affect your reputation (whether it does or doesn't isn't the issue.  The possibility is there.).  I don't think anyone is ever concerned that you might follow them home from a fanfic that they posted somewhere.  Maybe judge your posts differently in the context of the fanfic?  Certainly.

And I have a tendancy to get the cheapest model on the floor (no more than 200 bucks) because my first three expensive computers turned out to have major issues (like overheating, screen breaking beyond repair on its own, critical failure issues) and if I was going to replace them anyways every 1-2 years, might as well be with a cheaper pricetag.  That being said, the software on it is fairly cheap.  I can do very very light video editing, but nothing that would look good.  Believe me, I looked at it.  Surprisingly my cheap 200 dollar computers have lasted.  First one lasted 4.5 years before the harddrive failed (I eventually got it fixed, still it gets worse every month so I am constantly tweaking it...still using it at 7 years) and the second one I'm still using now.  Both of them have worked so much better, been much lighter to lift, not had any sound or overheating problems...it's been like a dream...for the pricetag of 200 bucks.  I'd have to invest in software to do videos and right now I just don't want to unless I'm going to do it regularly.

Edited by Beocat
Fighting off a 5 week old kitten from my keyboard. The battle is real. The enemy is tireless....

31 minutes ago, Beocat said:

The internet is pretty anonymous, but as a forum member you build up a reputation on the forum.  Any fanfiction you post will be tied back to your forum identity and possibly affect your reputation (whether it does or doesn't isn't the issue.  The possibility is there.).  I don't think anyone is ever concerned that you might follow them home from a fanfic that they posted somewhere.  Maybe judge your posts differently in the context of the fanfic?  Certainly.

I certainly agree with this, though I would probably add that it is not just forums, but anywhere on the net.

Still, since this is discussed in the community/forums context, it is pretty accurate.

33 minutes ago, Beocat said:

And I have a tendancy to get the cheapest model on the floor (no more than 200 bucks) because my first three expensive computers turned out to have major issues (like overheating, screen breaking beyond repair on its own, critical failure issues) and if I was going to replace them anyways every 1-2 years, might as well be with a cheaper pricetag.  That being said, the software on it is fairly cheap.  I can do very very light video editing, but nothing that would look good.  Believe me, I looked at it.  Surprisingly my cheap 200 dollar computers have lasted.  First one lasted 4.5 years before the harddrive failed (I eventually got it fixed, still it gets worse every month so I am constantly tweaking it...still using it at 7 years) and the second one I'm still using now.  Both of them have worked so much better, been much lighter to lift, not had any sound or overheating problems...it's been like a dream...for the pricetag of 200 bucks.  I'd have to invest in software to do videos and right now I just don't want to unless I'm going to do it regularly.

I think I have been fairly lucky on the expensive computer front, and almost all of my computer lasted for more five years. In fact, a laptop I have from the 2009-2010 era still boots and works well, though the trackpad needs some attention, as clicking difficult. The key in this area is to find a good brand and line from that brand. Then again, seeing as how computers are being made now to be disposable, since RAM and storage upgrades (the most basic upgrades one can do) are almost impossible, so I do not think they will last too long to do great work in video.

As for getting the software, you can get it for as little as nothing. When I first got my Surface Book, I tried using only open source software and found one interesting program that would allow video overlays, if it is ever needed, and even a piece of software called Davinci, though it was quite limited, according to site, even if it is supposed to be in the same league as Premiere and the old versions of Final Cut Pro.

Of course, my foray into open source only software ended when I found out LibreOffice was only suited for normal laptops and desktops, and there were things I did not like about GIMP, though I could get things today, so now I am paying for Microsoft and Adobe on a regular basis, since I really wanted to use InDesign and have programs that actually worked with both of the Surface Book’s modes.

my main reason to thinking about doing video reviews, other than the advantages that video has over text and a bunch of still images, is because I want to get familiar with Premiere, which I get from Adobe for free from what I am already paying them (tried it once, and the annoying thing was that I had to create some texts effects myself, but, thinking about it now, that can allow for quite a bit of creativity when putting credits and such)

• Informative 1

8 hours ago, Greeneyes said:

What about Stories, non promotion videos, Art discussion etc.

As I said, you are welcome to post a link in your signature to your channels / portfolio hosting these. Forum topics here were never a great place to discuss individual pieces like this as noted in my first post above.

Discussion on general art techniques and technologies can go into Chit Chat.

• Informative 1

• 2 months later...

Why not have an anthology section? It is strictly posting writings, poems, songs (written not links/youtube). If one is worried about the type of content, users should be required to put a rating onto their topic titles. I’m a veteran when it comes to forums, especially anime-based one. I’ve seen this be successful and if it hasn’t been overly active it is due to the lack of participation. For art there is already a gallery. But it would be fun for a request thread where users can make a request for avatars/sigs and artist can try it out. Idk just some thoughts for the future. I wnjoy seeing more user based interaction when it comes to sharing their writings amd art. It’s a fresh air from the usual general and anime chatter. 

Afterward: I do see groups exist here. So that can always be the outlet. But it is nice to see the forum itself have some small section for such. Can even be a couple of sub categories. 

Edited by Persona
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

14 hours ago, Persona said:

Why not have an anthology section? It is strictly posting writings, poems, songs (written not links/youtube). If one is worried about the type of content, users should be required to put a rating onto their topic titles. I’m a veteran when it comes to forums, especially anime-based one. I’ve seen this be successful and if it hasn’t been overly active it is due to the lack of participation. For art there is already a gallery. But it would be fun for a request thread where users can make a request for avatars/sigs and artist can try it out. Idk just some thoughts for the future. I wnjoy seeing more user based interaction when it comes to sharing their writings amd art. It’s a fresh air from the usual general and anime chatter. 

Afterward: I do see groups exist here. So that can always be the outlet. But it is nice to see the forum itself have some small section for such. Can even be a couple of sub categories. 

After reading through this topic I can see why we needed to close this section down at the time. Though tthats not to say in the future we couldn't bring it back perhaps without the Youtube part anyway. I have been thinking along the same lines honestly as it would be fun. Though I would want to see a large interest in it before establishing a entire forum section for it again.

11 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

After reading through this topic I can see why we needed to close this section down at the time. Though tthats not to say in the future we couldn't bring it back perhaps without the Youtube part anyway. I have been thinking along the same lines honestly as it would be fun. Though I would want to see a large interest in it before establishing a entire forum section for it again.

couldn't one have just pasted rule that said no you-tube promotion and put a blacklist in the creative corner for direct you tube links, i see the problems with that but either way there wasn't all that many youtube promoting after the 10 topic minimun requirement was added for the creative corner before it was shut down.

@Greeneyes when it got out of control, pre-moderation was introduced and a lot of the YouTube advertising was intercepted before it was made public.

I personally feel that Blogs would be a better medium to showcase written works, and you'll still get front page exposure.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, Optic said:

@Greeneyes when it got out of control, pre-moderation was introduced and a lot of the YouTube advertising was intercepted before it was made public.

I personally feel that Blogs would be a better medium to showcase written works, and you'll still get front page exposure.

I agree blogs would work, tumblr being the best example of that. If I wanted to, I'd post some of my stuff in a blog here, if only to generate interest in my fanfics. I honestly think that an entire section dedicated to creativity can get out of hand. The last Anime-Forums crew had to create an entire new server dedicated to the writers back in like 2006. They awarded me my Gmail account based on my activity back then. With a lack of life outside of schoolwork that is.

The biggest issue I honestly see with this being its own section apart from the abuse it got is that its not really going to solve the messiness of so many different types of art, or wring posts. It is true that can also be hard to sort through on a blog as well, but in that case it is more attached to a certain user so more easy to find a specific entry you are seeking anyway. One thing that may not be a bad idea in the future is to treat the blog portion of the site more like a member's content channel, and allow more blogs for specific things like fan fiction, or art. As of now though thats just an idea that has came into my head a couple times. Though like any section this would need to see a fair amount of demand. Gotta use your current toys before adding new ones to your toy chest right. :)

Still though this is good imput thank you everyone.

Blogs...

Why didn't I think of that?! Silly me. I must agree the blogs are a great way for anyone who has interest in such mediums, they can showcase it on their blogs. I've noticed you can make different ones, which is great for organizing your works. I did find I cannot delete a blog I created. /).(\ No bueno.

P.s.

Very glad to be one of the many that help out this lovely community!

Edited by Persona
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Persona said:

Blogs...

Why didn't I think of that?! Silly me. I must agree the blogs are a great way for anyone who has interest in such mediums, they can showcase it on their blogs. I've noticed you can make different ones, which is great for organizing your works. I did find I cannot delete a blog I created. /).(\ No bueno.

P.s.

Very glad to be one of the many that help out this lovely community!

With that said though its not as though it couldn't have its own forum section someday if the need, or strong desire calls for it to be. Honestly way I see it if everyone uses it, and follows the rules regarding it I see no problem considering it in the future. I am a open door person. :) Thank you for the great suggestions.

• 2 months later...

I really appreciate how this forum has a feature that automatically searches for possible duplicate topics. I was about to create a new topic on why is the creative corner archived. And it led me to this.

I was thinking of sharing some of my creative projects but I don't really know where. This topic has been helpful.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ryan Dave Jimenez said:

I really appreciate how this forum has a feature that automatically searches for possible duplicate topics. I was about to create a new topic on why is the creative corner archived. And it led me to this.

I was thinking of sharing some of my creative projects but I don't really know where. This topic has been helpful.

Best place to do that is in the blogs. That way its a bit more personal then on the forums. There is a lot loser guidelines for what can go in the blogs as well sense they are unique to you. ASs far as the feature yes its great its a adon thats been here for a while, and seems to really help. Glad to see its working.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Dave Jimenez said:

Clubs are a great place to share personal interests and projects. Check out our listing of public clubs and if you don't see one that matches what you are looking for, feel free to make your own. :)

• Agree 1

The clubs honestly are probably the best place sense they are basically forums themselves, or at least mini forums. They are great for really anything that dose not have its own section already. Though as I have stressed in the past if its popular enough and everyone wants to see a creative section again or something like it I am not at all against it. Though the club sections are very under used would be nice to see them get more activity sense there is several art related ones a music one as well as even a science one.

#BringBackTheCreativeCorner!! I think that having a creative corner wouldn't detour many people from posting in the clubs it would just allow for people who want to share there creativity with people who aren't in the specific club they post.

1 hour ago, Greeneyes said:

#BringBackTheCreativeCorner!! I think that having a creative corner wouldn't detour many people from posting in the clubs it would just allow for people who want to share there creativity with people who aren't in the specific club they post.

Wel in this particular case I was more saying the clubs as a whole are underused not that having a forum for it would prevent this per say. Though I like your creative corner topic. I say we see how popular a new Creative Corner will be if it takes off and booms then it may be time to consider bringing it back. It has been a fairly popular topic as of late.

• Geano locked this topic