Favourite form of source material?

awesomedude20

To clarify this further, I mean, what do you prefer your anime to come from? Be it manga, light novel, video games, cave etchings, you name it, what's your favourite.

(Also do keep in mind, I'll be going on a tangent, and listing recommendations for my preference, you don't need to do that, but if you DO feel the need to, go for it.)

Personally, I basically live by anime originals. Aka, no source material at all. Am I cheating my own topic? Maybe just a little, but the upsides are delicious. What makes anime originals so tempting? Well, the biggest thing is that, in order to make an anime original, the company behind it has to care, or they'll suffer pretty heavy consequences. Anime originals are absolutely not cheap to make, as the funding basically needs to ALL come from the studio itself, and for smaller studios, if they create an utter failure of an original, it could very well potentially destroy the company if they aren't careful. So this risk means that not a lot of anime originals get made, but.... it also means that the ones that DO get made, have a lot of care put into them. They also almost always have a proper ending. Even if the show DOES suck, it'll still probably have an ending because NOT ending the show is literally just too bad for sales. Nobody LIKES getting an incomplete story, and with originals, there's no excuse for an incomplete story unless they immediately announce a sequel of some sort. So overall, the ratio of good to bad looks quite nice.

I find my biggest issue with adaptations from manga and light novels, is that they rarely wait for the source material to be complete before rushing out an anime. It's still possible for the anime to be great, don't get me wrong, just look at Spice and Wolf, but the VAST majority of anime that get sourced from manga or light novels simply don't end. Sasameki Koto is a favourite manga of mine, and the anime captures the manga perfectly.... except for the fact that it barely gets into the story at ALL because they made it WAY before the manga finished. Had they waited and made the anime when the manga had an ending, we'd certainly have one hell of a popular romance anime on our hands, in a subgenre that is SEVERELY lacking. BUT instead, we get no romantic conclusion at all, and simply end on the usual festival episode. I have very little tolerance when it comes to cliffhangers, so if a show cliffhangers and I still praise it, clearly it did something VERY VERY RIGHT.

(Ex. Land of the Lustrous, Spice and Wolf, Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta)

Anyways, back to originals. You'd be surprised to see what anime are originals. A LOT of them are extremely famous, solidifying more, the fact that caring about your product really pays off, rather than just dumping out a cash grab anime for the season. It's much more worth it to make a product that will make a lot of money, for a very, very long time, than it is to make an anime that will VERY briefly make a metric TON of money. May not get the money as fast, but it will absolutely pay off soon enough. Plus, the best form of advertisement is word of mouth. I'd much sooner listen to a friend tell me to watch a show than some youtube ad from crunchyroll.

Some Original anime that, coincidentally, you should check out if you haven't:

Gurren Lagann (I do recommend the dub)

Kill la Kill

Cowboy Bebop

Samurai Champloo

Madoka Magica

ALMOST every Ghibli film. But not all.

Anohana

Code Geass

Psycho-Pass

Death Parade

FLCL

Angel Beats!

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Revolutionary Girl Utena

(Seeing a popularity trend here?)

-and for some lesser known but still great ones:

Senki Zesshou Symphogear (though season 1 is iffy, the next THREE seasons are beyond dope. Yeah, 4 seasons. 5th on the way. Should say something.)

Princess Principal

Flip Flappers

Noein: To Your Other Self

Gunbuster/Diebuster (You can watch either of these in any order, or either of them alone. Just note that the plots take place 10,000 years apart, so if you don't like Gunbuster, try Diebuster.)

Kyousou Giga (the 10 episode version. MAKE SURE to skip episode 0, and every single OVA.)

Hanasaku Iroha

Princess Tutu (particularly great show, don't be put off by the girly title, is one of the best fantasy anime around.)

Nagi no Asukara

Tamako Market (plus its film, Tamako Love Story)

Space Patrol Luluco (I suggest having seen basically every other popular Trigger anime first however, as the references are through the roof. Yes, that includes Inferno Cop. Which is also an original, heh.)

6 minutes ago, awesomedude20 said:

They also almost always have a proper ending. Even if the show DOES suck, it'll still probably have an ending because NOT ending the show is literally just too bad for sales. Nobody LIKES getting an incomplete story, and with originals, there's no excuse for an incomplete story unless they immediately announce a sequel of some sort.

soooo, like, no game no life s2 confirmed anyone ?...please ?

but jokings aside (that wasnt a joke, i want my s2 ;_:), my main source for anime shows, is mainly from 4chan, /a/ tends to hit the anime genre's/show's i tend to enjoy,

(i.e ore no twintail was a fun show, for me, just a little budget cuts in the near-end >.>)

though that is to say -- it IS 4chan, its not a safe place to wander onto~

9 hours ago, XII360 said:

soooo, like, no game no life s2 confirmed anyone ?...please ?

That was based off of a LN, not an original, and there were some serious legal problems with it to do with tracing art.

9 hours ago, XII360 said:

but jokings aside (that wasnt a joke, i want my s2 ;_:), my main source for anime shows, is mainly from 4chan, /a/ tends to hit the anime genre's/show's i tend to enjoy,

(i.e ore no twintail was a fun show, for me, just a little budget cuts in the near-end >.>)

though that is to say -- it IS 4chan, its not a safe place to wander onto~

This is completely not what the thread was asking. It's asking whether you like anime based on manga, LNs, VNs, games, etc.

Anyway, we agree that anime originals are good, but most of our all time favourites are based on manga. Princess Tutu, our absolute favourite isn't, but Kuzu no Honkai, Bartender, 3-gatsu no Lion, and Barakamon all were.

Our least favourite has to be LNs. From what we've seen, it's uncommon for a LN anime to have a satisfying conclusion. Either it just ends leaving you hanging, or it leaves it open in case they want to continue it. Also LNs and WNs are mostly to blame for the massive surge of low budget harems and isekais.
Obviously there are exceptions to both of those. Baccano! and SAO Alternative: GGO were really good despite being LNs, and To LOVE-Ru was a crappy low budget harem based on a manga (at least, pre-Darkness), but the LN curse is far too common.

24 minutes ago, the_twig said:
10 hours ago, awesomedude20 said:

To clarify this further, I mean, what do you prefer your anime to come from? Be it manga, light novel, video games, cave etchings, you name it, what's your favourite.

This is completely not what the thread was asking. It's asking whether you like anime based on manga, LNs, VNs, games, etc.

huh you're right, based it off on title, and skimmed through, my bad,

then let me fix my answer; i dont really have any specific-prefers; aslong as the anime is well done, art style is good, character's are not boring, then its all good to me, be it come from LN, manga, games, or an original work all around --

ofcourse, thats not to say, if one of the example's i gave is present, the anime is bad for me, all im saying is, aslong as something in the anime interest me, it doesnt matter if it came from <somewhere> or is an <original> -- if the plot's good, then im most likely not really gonna give much care of where it came from~

24 minutes ago, the_twig said:

That was based off of a LN, not an original, and there were some serious legal problems with it to do with tracing art.

that doesn't stop my answer from changing though, even if it was based on LN, (or any other type, be it movie, adaption, manga, etc)

and beside's, from my PoV, i dont see any problem on the whole tracing work's propaganda, from what i see, he copied the posing, but the characters outline is his own hand drawing, a trace is when someone copies and doesn't change anything, but from what i can see, theres allot of changes here, aside from the <posture> of the character

tldr: i call complete BS on tracing propaganda

No-Game-No-Life-Tracing-Comparison-6-1.j

an example of his "so called tracing", you tell me if its tracing when character design is wholy different

aside from posture, its not a 100% trace

<edit: if this is considered as tracing other peoples work's, i should be sued for my artwork's, couse i got some of them from other people's works, (i.e so called "tutorial") smh>

Edited by XII360
i-im not mad, im just butthurt <.>

Well, I just woke up and fed the kitten (still on bottled milk :( ), so I'm still a bit groggy but...

I honestly don't care much what the source material is.  HOWEVER, if an anime has a source material, and that said anime deviates from the source material (in romantic picks, in how things are resolved, in the fate of various characters, etc), that absolutely annoys me and tends to make me dislike the anime.  For instance, let me point out Pretear (which is my usual example for this as the changes are quite dramatic to the story).  When watching the anime, you will see she is surrounded by several men but the one guy the anime seems to focus on is the typical grumpy, oh too cool for you to handle with some sad backstory for later humanizing.  That being said, it is clear that she actually meshes well with another guy...there is a strong feeling that she is supposed to be with this other guy.  Yet the grumpy red-haired guy is the cool guy (another sad fate of anime.  Grumpy cool people always get the girl.) and time and again they are forced together and it just doesn't work right.  I cannot help but wonder, why not the other guy?  They have chemistry and actually mix well and the sneaking suspicion begins to bloom.  Why is she so blindly focused on this guy?  Why the obsession with the whole idea that "the more you dislike someone the more you must be passionately in love with them" thought (by the way, that doesn't work.  If you dislike someone and are always fighting, you may have "passion" but rarely actual love.  A couple fighting is not "romantic tension".  Usually it is simply a crappy match.  The line between love and hate is quite easy to spot.  It isn't as fine as that stupid quote makes it out to be.)?  Well, a quick looksee at the source material (a novel of some kind or a manga...don't recall off the top of my head) shows she is actually not supposed to be with the cool guy.  She is supposed to be with the guy I had pegged as her "real" romantic interest.  In fact, they dramatically change the story to get her "real interest"  out of the picture entirely in the anime.  That pissed me off.

Now, I prefer to see what the original author's actual original view was...when things are tainted by fans pulling an author this way or that (I can name other stories where an author admittedly obsessing over reading her fan's fanfics changed the story for the worse), or by a studio changing the story around because they think doing something else might make more money, that just makes me mad.  It makes me really dislike an anime too.  Sadly, this is a common occurrence.  Now, if it shortens something for the sake of time or even skips things that aren't critical to the plotline or character development, that is forgivable.  Completely changing the story is not.

That being said, I rarely read source material unless I have reason to suspect an alteration (they are generally quite easy to spot) or I love the anime so much I want to read it too.  Maybe part of it is that I'm an author of sorts myself...and this treatment of a primary literature is blasphemy to me.  Maybe it isn't.  I don't know.  I just know that I cannot stand it.

So, to wrap it all up, I don't really care what source an anime comes from as long as it is true to its source. 

Edited by Beocat

I do not care too much about what the original source is, as even adaptations are their own work, so I generally put greater emphasis on how well things were told and presented.

While Spice & Wolf is highly regarded in the anime community, it never really seemed that great and I remember hating it until I read the light novels, as I felt way more immersed and things felt way more fun, even in the most mundane moments, whereas all I got from the anime was something akin to watching paint dry.

I do agree though that anime that are not based on anything is much more admirable, as long as the team behind it can show that they put effort into it.