Stereotypes and opinions about us and anime

Basoc

You know some stereotypes about anime and people who watch it? For example, I heard that someone who watch anime is lgbt supporter, sjw, atheist, antycapitalist or vegan or another shit. You know some? 

• Like 1

So first off, LGBT supporter is basically 100% a good thing as long as you don't take it so far that you're effectively discriminating against people who aren't LGBT, atheism is just an opinion so why is that a bad thing, and veganism is a diet so why is that a bad thing?

Anyway, the most common ones that people talk about are the fat neck beard shut in, and the guy with weird fetishes and a libido the size of Jupiter. As far as we're aware, both are fairly uncommon in real life.

Inside the anime community you've got other stereotypes (actually more like types of watchers) like the shounentard who only watches action adventure and refuses to step outside those bounds, sub/dub elitists, and a personal hatred of ours, guys who refuse to watch anything that doesn't have a cool male MC. These ones we wish would just open up and give some other stuff a chance, because one of the charms of anime is that there is so much variation that everything can potentially be done well, and there are very few things that we are yet to see done well.

Edited by the_twig
  • Like 1

The stereotype for anime fans is that they  have life-size pillows of their favorite girl anime characters, own Hello Kitty merchandise, and have given up real girls to further pursue their dream of marrying their waifu.

• Agree 1

Dude I didnt say that lgbt or something what I wrote is bad thing. I just asked if you know the most common opinions from people who don't watch anime about anime community and I wrote some ones cause not every anime fan support lgbt or is vegan but people generalize. Just read with understanding. It's directed to first part of your statement. 

Edited by Basoc

1 minute ago, Basoc said:

Dude I didnt say that lgbt or something what I wrote is bad thing. I just asked if you know the most common opinions from people who don't watch anime about anime community and I wrote some ones cause not every anime fan support lgbt or is vegan but people generalize. Just read with understanding. It's directed to first part of your statement. 

We weren't saying you did, we were saying that whoever said that was insulting people for doing good or harmless things.

I have never ever ever ever heard those generalizations about anime fans @Basoc. Not sure where you live, but if that is what you are hearing, you should be re-educating people.

Most of what I hear being female, is that like video games, anime is only for guys (or worse, children!) and that I must be faking my love of it (for attention?). Those stereotypes come from people who don't watch anime. I have found most people who watch anime don't make stereotypes or generalizations about people who do enjoy anime. Sure we gripe about certain subpopulations in our community (the sub-dub elitest for example, or the SAO extremist fanbase) but we don't tend to judge ourselves. 

8 hours ago, Basoc said:

You know some stereotypes about anime and people who watch it? For example, I heard that someone who watch anime is lgbt supporter, sjw, atheist, antycapitalist or vegan or another shit. You know some? 

lets see, stereotyped imaging of anime fans

well for one, most parents, see anime as a lewd object youngin's long for (atleast, its always on that one sexy part of the anime show, do the parents come in the room and ask "HEY SON, HOW YA DOIN'"

which is messed up if you ask me, glad my dad doesn't seem to mind..that or he lost hope for me >.>

aside from parent's, -- this is only from what i heard before -- so it might be wrong -- but i heard that on the USA, most people who "watch" anime, even casual one's, get bullied and called a "weeb", personally, i dont care if im called as such, im a grown man now ("sniff")

though, im not in the USA to confirm this, and i only heard it before in the internet, so i cant be too sure on my last statement, anyone from USA can confirm this ?! its a mystery, yet to be solved~

3 hours ago, Beocat said:

Most of what I hear being female, is that like video games, anime is only for guys (or worse, children!) 

you couldn't have said it better, anime is for children, is what i hear allot even here, but, man, if it was for children, and i always say this, then go watch elfen lied and tell me that's a childs show >.>

also little known fact (that i think everyone already knows butttttttscrew it): playing games increases you're reflex/reaction time, (atleast, if you play allot of action/QTE games), puzzle games increases brain power/analyzation skills, 

They assume all Lolicons are pedo's and all anime fans no matter what are perverts. They assume that you are stupid because "anime is for kids". They assume you are a shut-in virgin with no life and that you live with your parents. They assume you are gay if you talk up your favorite male anime characters. They assume anyone who likes anime is a "Weeb". 

Really, there are way too many people who hate anime and the majority of them haven't even watched any; they are like "DBZ sucks, so all anime is stupid" it is ridiculous. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SAO LILDOOP said:

They assume you are gay if you talk up your favorite male anime characters

Lol, welcome to the world of being a Gay anime fan.

*Watches Absolute Duo*

"Dude you must be straight!"

No, I'm gay. I just enjoy anime

*Watches SAO*

Me "Asuna is so cool!"

Them "Ah so you like girls!"

Me "Asuna is just cool, still gay"

*Walks down any street or any store or any convention*

Every presumption is that you are straight.

I'll never understand why straight people find it so annoying to be called gay occasionally when we have to put up with people presuming we are straight 24/7

Apart from the things already mentioned, I'd say some people thing that anime fans run around with their arms behind their backs like in naruto and contantly scream some japanese words, which might happen at a con (never been to one, so I can't say for sure). Another stereotype is the "weeb". I mean somehow it happened that everyone who likes anime is referred to weeb, while a weeb is a person absolutely and irrationally obsessed with Japanese culture to the point where they don't see any negatives and romanticise everything. While weebs commonly like anime, not everyone who likes anime, even the more hardcore fans, are weebs. But somehow that's the image many people have.

I think Anime in general has become more accepted with younger people, so the bad stereotypes often come from older people who have less experience with this. (Ofc, there are school students who dislike people for liking anime and stuff, but it has become, depending where you live, less frequent).

A lot of the negtive images these people have, partly have their origins with the media. Whenever there is an incident involving violence or murder or something like that, the media search something to blame for that, like video games, anime, the kind of music they listen to, the meal they ate on the 12th of may five years ago or whatever. And if this person had a lot of anime-merch or was some akward person who only ever talked about anime, it apparently has  to be anime's fault. Some less professional media outlets, the only one in english I know is the Daily Mail, like to depict anime lovers as possible murderer and psychpaths...

Frankly, When I meet people my age, they either have seen some anime, especially as children, or just don't care. I mean, I don't go up to people and start to talk about random shit, my favourite waifu and stuff, but if I know them somewhat better and think they like me somewhat I usually mention it - I think we can break some sterotypes this way.