What do you think about abridged anime?

leinwandname

So, I rewatched some of the DBZ Abridged episodes the other day and now I'm wondering how many of you watch the abridged verson of some anime and if so, did you like it?

And which abridged series/what kind of abridged series do you prefer, if you watch them?

There are serveral kinds of abridged series, if we compare DBZ abridges to SAO abridged, for example. DBZA more or less retells the story of the original with funny characters and humour, adding some comedic twists and the likes, while SAO takes the original and, let me quote a Youtuber here >.>, "fixes whats broken". DBZA makes it more humours whereas SAOA actually improves the original in numerous ways. Other abridged take good originals and change the story, characters and many other things - so which do you prefer? The ones that retell the original or the ones that change it (for the better or worse)?

Another question - subs or dubs... seriously! >.< There are shorter abridged clips where they just change the subtitles and cut some scenes together to make it funny -especially if you know the original- while the more prominent ones, like SAO, DBZ, Yu-Gi-Oh, Hellsing, have really good editing, dubs and change the pacing/plot progression in a way that it seems professional (looking at Team Fourstar and Something Witty Entertainment here (°.° ))

25 minutes ago, leinwandname said:

So, I rewatched some of the DBZ Abridged episodes the other day and now I'm wondering how many of you watch the abridged verson of some anime and if so, did you like it?

And which abridged series/what kind of abridged series do you prefer, if you watch them?

There are serveral kinds of abridged series, if we compare DBZ abridges to SAO abridged, for example. DBZA more or less retells the story of the original with funny characters and humour, adding some comedic twists and the likes, while SAO takes the original and, let me quote a Youtuber here >.>, "fixes whats broken". DBZA makes it more humours whereas SAOA actually improves the original in numerous ways. Other abridged take good originals and change the story, characters and many other things - so which do you prefer? The ones that retell the original or the ones that change it (for the better or worse)?

Another question - subs or dubs... seriously! >.< There are shorter abridged clips where they just change the subtitles and cut some scenes together to make it funny -especially if you know the original- while the more prominent ones, like SAO, DBZ, Yu-Gi-Oh, Hellsing, have really good editing, dubs and change the pacing/plot progression in a way that it seems professional (looking at Team Fourstar and Something Witty Entertainment here (°.° ))

i watch, allot of abridged anime's, i find them to even be funnier than the original, (like konosuba abridged by daedryth, Code geass by purpleeyeswtf (termed codement), or fate/zero from yaroshien (termed fate/cero), episode 2,  4:30, always makes me laugh so much lmao, (contains many cursing words though, lancealot is voiced by purpleeyeswtf btw)))

theres also the abridged yu-gi-oh, which, in my case, somewhat more fun than the original show >.>, SAO as you said, (aslong as kirito is voiced by a certain dude cocky dude, makes kirito...likeable >.>), gigguk's "anime in minutes, mainly re:zero", dragon ball by TFS...and so on, (i feel im gonna make to much list, if i keep going)

if i had to choose which i prefer...i guess itll depend, if the story sucks, or not, sometimes the abdriged version can make it funnier and better than the original, but sometimes its poorly done abdriged, making it trash-tier, but it all depends on who V/A's the characters, and how much messed up they make the story, 

like say codement, they 100% messed up how lelouch acts in the series -- but by beards gods, is that messed up version -- hella good >.>, and made suzaku, 1000% likeable, his-- his idiocy man, jesus christ >.<

i probably prefer dubs (in abdriging), i never saw subbed abdriged before, couse i mean, lets face it, in abdriged, if done by certain people (like kirito from something witty entertainment), can make the character 1000x more funnier and fun, than the original characters intent, they initially made the "badass, main character" into

"we doing this my way, but MORE EXPLOSIVES IN THE BACKGROUND"-badass

and michael bay would be proud

3 hours ago, XII360 said:

theres also the abridged yu-gi-oh, which, in my case, somewhat more fun than the original show >.>

How... how dare you?! T^T YGO was my childhood so maybe I have a soft spot for this anime, but I did watch almost all of the episodes. I say 'almost all' because I am actually not sure if I missed any and don't want to check lol. I will say that the abridged series is really funny and I really enjoyed it also tho 

For the general question, I usually don't watch too many abridged series unless I really really enjoyed the unabridged anime ^^ For most animes, I definitely prefer subbed over dubbed because I am a purist and I think that the voices are the best in Japanese. The mouth animations also line up the best :) However, I do like the dubbed version of YGO because I grew up with it and it is kind of weird to get used to their Japanese VAs. 

• Sad 1

Just now, alupacard said:

How... how dare you?! T^T YGO was my childhood so maybe I have a soft spot for this anime, but I did watch almost all of the episodes. I say 'almost all' because I am actually not sure if I missed any and don't want to check lol. I will say that the abridged series is really funny and I really enjoyed it also tho 

b-but, you cant deny, the yugi on abridge, has some style in him, compared to the one in the original series .. !

i-im sowwy

15 minutes ago, XII360 said:

b-but, you cant deny, the yugi on abridge, has some style in him, compared to the one in the original series .. !

i-im sowwy

Okay, that is fair. I will give the abridged Yugi some style points ^^

You are forgiven since you didn't insult the amazing Seto Kaiba. 

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

i watch, allot of abridged anime's, i find them to even be funnier than the original, (like konosuba abridged by daedryth, Code geass by purpleeyeswtf (termed codement), or fate/zero from yaroshien (termed fate/cero), episode 2,  4:30, always makes me laugh so much lmao, (contains many cursing words though, lancealot is voiced by purpleeyeswtf btw)))

theres also the abridged yu-gi-oh, which, in my case, somewhat more fun than the original show >.>, SAO as you said, (aslong as kirito is voiced by a certain dude cocky dude, makes kirito...likeable >.>), gigguk's "anime in minutes, mainly re:zero", dragon ball by TFS...and so on, (i feel im gonna make to much list, if i keep going)

if i had to choose which i prefer...i guess itll depend, if the story sucks, or not, sometimes the abdriged version can make it funnier and better than the original, but sometimes its poorly done abdriged, making it trash-tier, but it all depends on who V/A's the characters, and how much messed up they make the story, 

like say codement, they 100% messed up how lelouch acts in the series -- but by beards gods, is that messed up version -- hella good >.>, and made suzaku, 1000% likeable, his-- his idiocy man, jesus christ >.< 

I still haven't watched the Code Geass abridged but I'll do it as soon as I finished DBZ - I heard the CG is supposed to be pretty good! >.>

Changing characters or highlighting some of their traits (For example Goku's negligence of Gohan) can be funny even if they use a good character from a good show. But it can also improve the personality of certain characters and give them more depth, like you said with Kirito being more likeable in SAO (granted, its not hard to give the SAO characters more depth when they basically have none to begin with)

[...]  since you didn't insult the amazing Seto Kaiba. 

Hypothetically speaking, what if someone, let's say me -purely hypothetically ofc- were to say that they don't like Seto Kaiba? >.>

I've seen TFS and LittleKuriboh's YGOTAS. I've seen some of Nullmetal Alchemist and one for Naruto. I've been told to watch the abridged SAO but haven't due to lack of interest. 

I think it's healthy to be able to poke fun at a series. It doesn't take anything away from the original, but it's often humbling, especially when it concerns a considerably large and well-known or long-running programme. Plus, some are so well done and just hysterical. 

So, yes, I love a comedy-centric redub. I'm glad they exist. 

I've only seen the first ep of Nullmetal -I had a hard time finding the rest- and thought it was funny, but it can't really compare to the quality of Team Fourstar's stuff. (Do I sound like some Anime Abridged elitist if I say this like that? Nullmetal, from what I've seen, is funny, though it appears to me that it is more of Just-For-Fun instead of trying to make some big changes and tell/improve a story)

I can only recommend SAO - the humour is good, the characters make in some weird way sense and have actual archs, and the ending is just ... great!

Agree, when you say that we can make fun of a series. Some fandoms tend to be a bit more ... let's call it 'strongly invested' into their stuff to the point where any critique or making-fun-of conjures up some dozen agressive messages. I think Abridges, or comedic revamp in general (book and movies, for example, have them sometimes too.) are a good way to point out flaws or things that generally dont't make sense -but might do in the context of the show- and turn them ad absurdum, while retelling or changing the story for simple entertainment. Especially fans of these series should IMO appreciate someone's attempt to view things froma different perspective, or explore how far you can exaggerate or change a character until the char stops making sense in the scope of the story/world.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think it was a thing in the early mid 2000s ending its peek popularity around 2011-2012 give or take. Series like DBZ abridged were hilarious. I still watch that till this very day. Yugioh the Abridged was the series that gave it a huge boost in popularity. So I think it has its place, but not really the thing anymore as it once was.