Wedgy

Anime that must be continued

Although anime isn't an exclusive victim of this injustice, it happens nontheless that many are ended too soon, left on a cliffhanger, or simply discontinued. If you had the means to continue production of an anime series, which would you want to revive? 

I would want Furuba to continue, myself. The anime ended way too soon, and many details were changed in order to give the illusion that it was a happy ever after. However, comparing this to its manga source material, the anime ends right about volume six. The manga did finally end at volume twenty three, which leaves almost three times the amount of content the anime is missing out on. There's a lot of characters and sub plots that are left so sadly untouched. Not to mention the real ending, which is so much more exciting than the ending the anime gives us, which more or less just implied a few things and left much to be desired. 

I myself was confronted with the choice several times whether to watch an anime which I knew would most likely not continue. Or animes where the ending left me very upsetting and I wished for it to continue somehow like Akame ga kill as example. I would want Gansta to continue, simply because i've been waiting for a second season which I usually don't (not even for No game No Life) unless the show impressed me in a way that it deserved my recognition. As far as I know the Studio which was responsible for Gangsta went bankrupt. I also doubt any Studio would be willing to pick it up again since the sales abroad were terribly bad. I hate to say this but money rules the world including the anime industry.

Edited by Muco

Personally, I would really like to see the Original FMA story continue from the Conquer of Shambala. They were setting up a pretty interesting plot where Ed and Al were going to take part in World War II and very few anime have even tried to tackle that at all, let alone from a perspective of a Germany in the state that it was in during the start of that war. FMA is one of the few anime that could have handled it respectively, and it also could have had an interesting sub-plot where Winry, and perhaps Mustang, Riza and others were trying to find a way to get Ed and Al back, which all could have ended with the scene where it's presumed that Ed and Winry got together and had kids. Of Course it would be an AU story, but still an interesting one and I'd love to have the ability to make it so. 

If we could get infinite amounts of 3-gatsu no Lion, we would be happy. That show is absolutely fantastic, and we genuinely have no idea how you could end it. There is no end goal. There’s no ‘I want to be the pirate king’ or even ‘I’m in love with this girl’, it’s just about a guy living his life, and dealing with the issues that it throws at him.

It’s fairly recent, but Houseki no Kuni was really great. It got us genuinely invested in the world, and had several really interesting characters. Also the animation and soundtrack were lovely. A continuation of that would be perfect.

While The World God Only Knows doesn’t need a sequel (although there is content for one, and we thoroughly enjoyed it in the manga), what it does need is the middle bit. The anime skipped a bunch of arcs, three of which were vital to the story, and one of which was gender-bender done right, which you don’t see too often. They did do an OVA for probably the most important of the three, but the other two just get a 10 second summary at the beginning of S3. Unfortunately, Manglobe went under. We don’t actually know who picked up TWGOK, but they’re unlikely to do anything with it.

Finally, Akatsuki no Yona. Yona was an interesting series because it felt like a massive buildup. Yona was learning to shoot, they were finding dragons to make their group stronger, and Hak was just being cool. Unfortunately it ended right before what we assume was going to be their first real rebellion. Why end it there? 

Yona of the Dawn. I believe I heard that the author, though still writing and having done well on the dvd sales, is uninterested in pursuing a season 2 of the anime. There is plenty of content for a new season already and it would really make my best friend happy if it came to be. So, I would choose that one for her. :)

While there are a ton of anime of that have endings that seem abrupt, I do not think there are any I would want to see continued, because it might face a fate similiar to American television, which would be that it keeps going until the series has been run into the ground.

Besides, anime is mostly made to promote things and it is not too common to see an anime with an original story.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have tons of anime on my mind right now, but at the top of that list is Yona of the Dawn!! 

13 hours ago, brycec said:

I do not think there are any I would want to see continued, because it might face a fate similiar to American television, which would be that it keeps going until the series has been run into the ground.

This.  I don't know how many times over the years I've watched a series being pounded into oblivion by the money-grubbers.  If one season(/movie/book/etc) makes money then they make a sequel.  The plot is done.  The story is over.  The actors have moved on.  But they keep doing "new" releases until everyone is so sick and tired of the franchise that even the fans can't stomach any more sequels.  So it doesn't make money and they move the destruction apparatus on to the Next Big Thing.  How many times did Battlestar Galactica find Earth?  Star Trek doesn't even make sense anymore, even allowing for time travel.  I hear Carrie Fisher is going to appear in the next Star Wars.  I kid you not.  Decency be damned.. the face sells, and the contract boilerplate says they own the likeness.  So they'll do it.

That's why I tend to stick with the 12/24 episode format anime, and the (relatively) obscure ones at that.  I don't even start on a book series if I know it is going to be more than a trilogy.  Tell me a story.  For anime, if it gets much beyond a couple dozen episodes it had better be a good one.  An awesome one in fact, with a good beginning, interesting characters, good progression, and a solid end.  Maybe a twist here and there to make it interesting.  (Just don't make it so contrived it looks forced and ridiculous.)  And don't show me a video of someone playing a game and call it anime!  (An infomercial by another name.)  Don't keep force-feeding me grey crap until I throw up and run away.  But they do.  If the original is good enough - popular enough, sellable enough - they always do.

Edited by efaardvark
Trek not wars.. not that it makes much difference at this point.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, RepentantSky said:

Personally, I would really like to see the Original FMA story continue from the Conquer of Shambala. They were setting up a pretty interesting plot where Ed and Al were going to take part in World War II and very few anime have even tried to tackle that at all, let alone from a perspective of a Germany in the state that it was in during the start of that war. FMA is one of the few anime that could have handled it respectively, and it also could have had an interesting sub-plot where Winry, and perhaps Mustang, Riza and others were trying to find a way to get Ed and Al back, which all could have ended with the scene where it's presumed that Ed and Winry got together and had kids. Of Course it would be an AU story, but still an interesting one and I'd love to have the ability to make it so. 

OMG YES
I had totally forgotten about the CoS fork and you're totally right, it has every right to continue down that AU path it started because it was just that interesting. I would have loved to see where it could have gone. 

That's why I tend to stick with the 12/24 episode format anime, and the (relatively) obscure ones at that.  I don't even start on a book series if I know it is going to be more than a trilogy.  Tell me a story.  For anime, if it gets much beyond a couple dozen episodes it had better be a good one.  An awesome one in fact, with a good beginning, interesting characters, good progression, and a solid end.  Maybe a twist here and there to make it interesting.  (Just don't make it so contrived it looks forced and ridiculous.)  And don't show me a video of someone playing a game and call it anime!  (An infomercial by another name.)  Don't keep force-feeding me grey crap until I throw up and run away.  But they do.  If the original is good enough - popular enough, sellable enough - they always do.

I'd disagree on this one for both anime/manga and books. If the story, the characters (especially if there are many) need longer archs and if the author wants to create a vast and detailed world, more episodes/books are needed. The problem comes when a story/char arch is finished and the author then decided to continue - that's problematic. You have to invent new obstacles to overcome, a new character arch for a finished character, etc...  The quality is usually worse and many things dont't make sense because the author never planned this far when he/she started. If the author has a story he want to tell in 5+ books, it can be pretty great, but if it ended after book 3 and then is continued because the book/manga sold well its just meh... That's why I don't watch the big shonen-jump anime/manga anymore.

To the overall topic; I'd say, for me, it depends what kind of anime it is. If it is an original and everything is finished (i.e. Story and character archs) I wouldn't want it to continue. THere are exceptions for this though. For example, I'd want Panty and Stockings to continue - it was dumb fun, kind of left the end open to the point where either it would be an ironic joke to not contiue or where they could contiunue just doing dumb stuff and maybe roughly have some kind of story progressing throughout 12 eps again. An original that IMO shouldn't have been continued was FLCL. While it didn't use the characters of the first anime it kind of changed too much of the style and didn't stay faithful to the themes - FLCL ended and should have stayed that way, IMO.

If it is an adaption of a fairly long manga -a good one that is-, they managed to end their seasons in a satisfying way and connect fluidly to the beginning of the next season, it can be pretty good. But that usually depends if they just wanted to do one season and managed to end every arch within this season or if several seasons were planned from the start (My Hero Aca. is a good example for this.) There are different kind of anime though, so it partly depends on the manga and the style - compare the episodic Case Closed to Berserk which is told in archs.

To get back to the initial question: Panty and Stocking, Drifters, and Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou. I'd really love to see them continued!

After just finishing the manga for Magi, I think it would be cool if they finished adapting it till the end. Lots of good stuff not animated and maybe the anime could handle the final arc and conclusion a bit better.

I would love more Space Dandy in my life as well.

Most anime ends sooner then its respective source manga I am talking something like 70% of anime produced is in fact this way. Though a older anime I wish they continued was Fruits Basket. I know its older, but was one of my childhood favs that touched my heart. I won't spoil anything, but the way it ended was less then acceptable in my eyes. A second, or even third season considering the length of the manga would be nice.

Gangsta. really needs to continue. I was so confused about how it had ended so abruptly that I laughed when the credits started to roll in. I have been hoping for it gets picked up by a new studio soon since it was really good imo, but I doubt it will. But fingers still crossed.

3 minutes ago, Neptvne said:

Gangsta. really needs to continue. I was so confused about how it had ended so abruptly that I laughed when the credits started to roll in. I have been hoping for it gets picked up by a new studio soon since it was really good imo, but I doubt it will. But fingers still crossed.

Thatt always makes me nervous when older anime gets renewed with a new studio. I do agree Gangsta  could have good potential to continue, but if the wrong studio takes it on then it can end up really horribly done.

14 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

Thatt always makes me nervous when older anime gets renewed with a new studio. I do agree Gangsta  could have good potential to continue, but if the wrong studio takes it on then it can end up really horribly done.

Yea, I get what your saying hopefully a competent company takes over the series.

2 minutes ago, Neptvne said:

Yea, I get what your saying hopefully a competent company takes over the series.

The only thing in regards to this that I have realized over time is that sometimes series just need to end. Anime has had little issue with reboots like western cartoons have had a lot of trouble with this. This is especially true of CN.

On another note I wish they would continue Assassination classroom. I know it was meant to be short, but still would be awesome.

6 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

The only thing in regards to this that I have realized over time is that sometimes series just need to end. Anime has had little issue with reboots like western cartoons have had a lot of trouble with this. This is especially true of CN.

On another note I wish they would continue Assassination classroom. I know it was meant to be short, but still would be awesome.

I think the difference lies in whether it's designed with an episodic story or serial story. This appears to be where anime differs from western animation in that anime typically follows a serial format in which each episode is linked to form one singular plotline. The ending point in this situation is entirely clear. The western cartoons you're thinking of are designed episodic; every episode has a self-contained story which begins and ends in the runtime. The reason is very likely because these types of programmes are designed with a young audience in mind, and children tend to have more active attention spans and will become bored quickly with the pacing of a serial plot, so a shorter, often silly story is better suited for that age group. This is why western cartoons such as Spongebob or Johnny Bravo can run for several years with no distinctive endpoint except for when the creators decide it's time for it to end or the ratings don't justify keeping it going.

2 minutes ago, Wedgy said:

I think the difference lies in whether it's designed with an episodic story or serial story. This appears to be where anime differs from western animation in that anime typically follows a serial format in which each episode is linked to form one singular plotline. The ending point in this situation is entirely clear. The western cartoons you're thinking of are designed episodic; every episode has a self-contained story which begins and ends in the runtime. The reason is very likely because these types of programmes are designed with a young audience in mind, and children tend to have more active attention spans and will become bored quickly with the pacing of a serial plot, so a shorter, often silly story is better suited for that age group. This is why western cartoons such as Spongebob or Johnny Bravo can run for several years with no distinctive endpoint except for when the creators decide it's time for it to end or the ratings don't justify keeping it going.

Yes that is that is for the most part true with only maybe a few exceptions on the anime side. There are many shows that have a serial plotline, but they tend to be live action not animated. I for one prefer the serial plot structure to the episodic style though in rare cases shows including some anime can have eliments of both.

Beautiful Bones : Sakurako's Investigation definitely needs another season, or at least a movie or OVA

34 minutes ago, piiachu said:

SKIP BEAT, definitely! I love this anime!!!

Yes yes This is a amazing manga that just had a great anime adaption that really didn't get the respect it truly deserves.

Soul eater!... They may have defeated the bad guy but Soul never became a death scythe!... >_<

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

16 hours ago, xWickedNekox said:

Soul eater!... They may have defeated the bad guy but Soul never became a death scythe!... >_<

Yes definitely that anime really would be awesome to see continued further like the manga. It stopped on a bad spot too, but I won't say anymore for spoiler purposes.

On 8/23/2018 at 9:38 PM, ArchieKun said:

dood its like 48 Eps long

15 minutes ago, Greeneyes said:

dood its like 48 Eps long

I think its just me wishing they'd do more because I really like the series.