would you act as "someone else" to make friends, or act normal ? [scenerio]

XII360

why is madoka magical series order in similar topics >.>

bakatest-7-terrorist.jpg.e7c8ee9dbe81abe5acc3f78877b6b48d.jpg

pic being relevant, but not really to the topic~

would you act stupid just to make friend's and make them laugh ?, (or generally not act as you usually do to impress them) or would you act your'self, even if it may not gather you some friend's in doing so ?

lets go with this scenerio: you're a highschool student, a 1st year (junior high in USA, i think ?) who just transferred schools, there are 29 other students in the class, who already has friends in class, but since you're mostly the quiet type, they were wary of talking to you, and was unable to find out what type of personality you have, thus never bothered to talk to you, 

you're personality is that of, a unique one, a "quiet and unable to talk as much", which prevented you from even looking into their eyes and talking, you simply fiddled with a phone

but you have the choice to act as someone else, (a genius, a dumbass, a jokester, a punster, etc) and show them, you are not quiet~!, just very shy

but on the other hand, you are shy, so this is preventing you from acting upon you're thoughts, but you feel its time to do it, the moment is ripe...as the teacher enters the room, he accounts everyone over, and you to introduce your'self to the classmates,

so comes the main question...would you act as someone else in you're introductory speech, or would you act as your'self even if it may not win you "friendship points" on you're classmates ?! (were gonna base answers on this scenerio)

so, making that scenerio literally toke me 30 minutes, but lets see, knowing me, and how i only have like, 1 best friend in class, the other isnt really in good or bad terms..

i think i would act it out, but not stupid, probably as a "tough, reliable guy", i wont say no to most offers; ill help, assuming i can help, and overall do everything that needs to be done, assuming theres any, but my trait as "shy" wont be gone, itll most likely still be there, preventing me from talking unless theres a question directed towards me, or i "have" to initiate conversations with a said individual

....this is pretty accurate of my personality in school to >.>

but what about you ?!, what would you do at such scenerio a scenerio ?!

TLDR; read scenerio until sentence with bold font; and what would you say in that scenerio ?

my answer: "tough and reliable act", but initially still shy, preventing me from making many friends, due to the shy trait, making me unable to form many sentences, unless a question was directed of sorts or "i have to" start a conversation, which is usually a question of sorts.

as usual~ lets have a fun discussion~ and if anyone has a pun for discussion smuggle me those

• XII360 changed the title to would you act as "someone else" to make friends, or act normal ? [scenerio]

Depends on my intentions. I am not really like what the scenario brings up, with mostly the quiet and reliable parts working, though some people think I am shy.

If I genuinely wanted friendship I would act as myself and be authentic as possible, not caring about anyone else.

However, if I intended to eliminate them, I would probably act differently, based on what I perceive their character, to avoid detection.

• Agree 1

When meeting new kids, I'm mostly known as the "quiet type" which is totally wrong. And I have been living up to that name for the past few years, but I decided to change all that and now I show the true joking (or whatever) and silly person I am.

Now, about the scenario. If I want to get friends, I have to a) respect them and b) be someone they all like. So if I had to change my personality, I would do so, because I have loneliness phobia (is that even a thing?!) and I just cannot stand to be alone.

Either that, or I could always just stay the way I am and focus on my studies. If I turn out to be a genius (I'm not.) then it sure would attract some attention and I would get friends real easily.

But the difference between my choices is long-term and short-term. The first one, where I change my personality, is short-term because if I change my personality and I will get friends in a short time. But the second one is long-term because it requires hard work and after working hard for six months or a year, I will finally get friends who will admire me.

I really hate studying, so I guess I'll choose the first one. But if I do that, they'll think of me as someone just like them, and I won't be admired. But, like I said in the beginning, I absolutely loathe studying, so I'm choosing the first one no matter what call me lazy I don't care. 😛

• Like 1

Hmm... this one hits home for me. I am usually quite shy and a little awkward when people first meet me irl so it was tough for me to make friends quickly in school like other people could. I have never really introduced myself to others first with the intention of being friends because as chipper and lively as I may be online, I am definitely not super confident or anything in person. I'd describe myself as quirky, sarcastic, and talkative to those close to me, and polite and quiet to those who don't.

In your scenario, I would probably portray myself as a jokester because it is close to how I am when I am with people who actually know me. I don't really see the point in hiding my true self just to make people like me and it is an empty existence for me if I do that. But if I was lonely and wanted to make some conversation with others, this is how I would do it instead of hiding away behind my phone. In 1st year (freshman year in high school), it would take a lot of courage for me to speak out but as I grew older and went to college, I just became more content to pick who I talk to carefully and toe the line of how much of my personality should come out. It is natural to be "different" around different friends, but the way you portray yourself should still be true to who you are - just to varying degrees. No one is going to like you 100%, but it's those who can like you despite the things that they don't like that are worth keeping in your life. Does what I just typed even make sense? Maybe... maybe not. Well. I typed it all out soooooooo I will just leave it here. Yep. ^^;

• Informative 1

I am who I am no matter the situation. I am a bit shy at first in person, and not exactly going to give you my full life story until I trust you. With that said I am fully honest with what I do tell you upfront without question. I do think however to a point we all are guilty of showing off per say in other words saying we more then we really are to seem cool. This is just something we all do at one point or another in our lives. Though at this point in my life I am of the belief honesty is the best policy.

• Like 1

To be honest, I always prefer to be myself. And given the situation, I don't think I'll have enough time to act out a different character without acting more weird and awkward. I've always been ambivert but more of an introvert so I understand the situation. What I learned so far is that sometimes we need to take the first step out of our comfort zone. The first step is always the hardest like talking to strangers. But I think once you overcome this, the ride is much better.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, piiachu said:

To be honest, I always prefer to be myself. And given the situation, I don't think I'll have enough time to act out a different character without acting more weird and awkward. I've always been ambivert but more of an introvert so I understand the situation. What I learned so far is that sometimes we need to take the first step out of our comfort zone. The first step is always the hardest like talking to strangers. But I think once you overcome this, the ride is much better.

Honestity is the best policy after all, and I know right. I don't understand how people find so much time to lie as extensively as they do.

I actually transferred schools during the middle of 8th grade and it was a bit tough. I was just myself and didn't act like anyone I wasn't. I was a bit of a loner since all the groups had been established by then, but it wasn't all bad since I met my best friends towards the very end of that school year and was able to spend all of high school with all of them. I most likely wouldn't have met or talked to them if I acted like someone I'm not for cheap laughs or entertainment.

So yeah, just do you and you'll meet people who appreciate you for who you are and vice versa.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/26/2018 at 11:36 PM, ArchieKun said:

Honestity is the best policy after all, and I know right. I don't understand how people find so much time to lie as extensively as they do.

I think it's a defence mechanism on their part. I think this is most especially when we're not comfortable under our own skin. 

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, piiachu said:

I think it's a defence mechanism on their part. I think this is most especially when we're not comfortable under our own skin. 

Yes I would agree there forsure. Even more so in unfamiliar places with lotta people one dosen't know.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I gotta be me (no one else wanted the job)

In all seriousness, I never pretend to be something I'm not, but a lot of things I don't show until I feel more comfortable.

Edited by Ohiotaku