Piercings and Tattoos?

alupacard

2 hours ago, alupacard said:

Just curious on your opinion or perception of them! ^^

everyone has tastes, but for me, i loathe piercings/tatoo's,

im sure someone will argue with me on this, but its my own preferrence, if i see tatoo's on a woman, it somewhat makes a 10/10 woman go 0/10 for me, insta "bleh"

for a male, tatoo's are somewhat okay (aslong as they cover it up), but i would never get one, its just...kinda stupid in my point of view ? 

piercing on women...well if its ear piercing thats, kinda common and i dont mind it, but anywhere else in the body ?, man thats just another "bleh" with a side of "ugh"

but then again, this is my point of view on piercings/tatoos and everyone has their own tastes, (e.g wedgy is fine with tatoo's, lein-tan doesn't like them, but agree's that some can be good)

though, thats not to say if a person has a tatoo or piercing, i wont talk to them, my professor for one, has tatoo's but i dont loathe him, i just find them...not stylish ?

• Like 2

Don't want to harsh critically too much but I find that piercing and tattoo are a great big turnoff and don't like them. Mostly because the art that tattoos use to represent was individual and unique. Now everyone with a taint of talent grabs a needle and gets to jabbing making the art not as unique or individual as it used to be. But that was back before everyone made it a trend and jumped on the wagon. As for piercings, don't like most of them. Ears and nose (Side not septum) are okay, anything else I don't like. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've thought about this plenty of times, my conclusion is usually the same:
I really don't see the use of piercings, they don't add any 'beauty' to my eyes, rather, they take away lots of it. They're also very unpractical, can cause infections if made wrong, can be dangerous if they get stuck with an object. Can you imagine the pain of having one of them pulled out of your skin because it got in the wrong place, like some cloth?
As for tattoos, it's almost the same. They don't add anything super duper, and the ink filters through the skin and those microparticles eventually reach your blood. You wouldn't want having ink in your blood, eh? I know, it's not like hundreds of people die from ink intoxication every year I guess, but it still adds up to the list of factors that can end up harming your body.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Tbh tats can be a bit much especially if they are on the face but I do not mind a few tasteful ones, they are alright. 

I think piercings can be really hot depending on where you have them and how many, like I cannot stand body piercings for the most part but face piercings are awesome (Though if you have too many they look gross). 

Honestly though, just being natural with no tats and no piercings is best. :) 

Edited by SAO LILDOOP
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Wedgy said:

I have 6 tattoos and 9 piercings. 

They're cool I guess. People need to chill. 

Awesome! I don't have any tattoos, but I also have 9 piercings. ^^ Thanks for the post!

10 hours ago, leinwandname said:

Don't have any and don't plan on getting any. Not really my taste - especially piercings - but some tattoos can look good, IMO.

Ah, I see. :) Thanks for the comment!

6 hours ago, SAO LILDOOP said:

Tbh tats can be a bit much especially if they are on the face but I do not mind a few tasteful ones, they are alright. 

I think piercings can be really hot depending on where you have them and how many, like I cannot stand body piercings for the most part but face piercings are awesome (Though if you have too many they look gross). 

Honestly though, just being natural with no tats and no piercings is best. :) 

Interesting! Face piercings seem to be the least accepted so it is nice to see a different perspective. Cool to hear from you!

6 hours ago, Roxeg said:

I've thought about this plenty of times, my conclusion is usually the same:
I really don't see the use of piercings, they don't add any 'beauty' to my eyes, rather, they take away lots of it. They're also very unpractical, can cause infections if made wrong, can be dangerous if they get stuck with an object. Can you imagine the pain of having one of them pulled out of your skin because it got in the wrong place, like some cloth?
As for tattoos, it's almost the same. They don't add anything super duper, and the ink filters through the skin and those microparticles eventually reach your blood. You wouldn't want having ink in your blood, eh? I know, it's not like hundreds of people die from ink intoxication every year I guess, but it still adds up to the list of factors that can end up harming your body.

Interesting POV ^^ It is definitely inconvenient to have piercings at times haha. Really good to hear from you!

10 hours ago, Oakmi said:

Don't want to harsh critically too much but I find that piercing and tattoo are a great big turnoff and don't like them. Mostly because the art that tattoos use to represent was individual and unique. Now everyone with a taint of talent grabs a needle and gets to jabbing making the art not as unique or individual as it used to be. But that was back before everyone made it a trend and jumped on the wagon. As for piercings, don't like most of them. Ears and nose (Side not septum) are okay, anything else I don't like. 

I like unfiltered comments, so it is cool to hear yours also! Tattooing is certainly becoming more "accepted" or popular so it does make sense that some art may not be as original. But I'd also like to think that there is still some cool art being made out there ^^ Thanks for your perspective! 

5 hours ago, Antigonius said:

neither, honestly, unless its to commemorate something specific or mark yourself as property of ones group.

Cool cool. :) Thanks for your view! ^^

10 hours ago, XII360 said:

everyone has tastes, but for me, i loathe piercings/tatoo's,

im sure someone will argue with me on this, but its my own preferrence, if i see tatoo's on a woman, it somewhat makes a 10/10 woman go 0/10 for me, insta "bleh"

for a male, tatoo's are somewhat okay (aslong as they cover it up), but i would never get one, its just...kinda stupid in my point of view ? 

piercing on women...well if its ear piercing thats, kinda common and i dont mind it, but anywhere else in the body ?, man thats just another "bleh" with a side of "ugh"

but then again, this is my point of view on piercings/tatoos and everyone has their own tastes, (e.g wedgy is fine with tatoo's, lein-tan doesn't like them, but agree's that some can be good)

though, thats not to say if a person has a tatoo or piercing, i wont talk to them, my professor for one, has tatoo's but i dont loathe him, i just find them...not stylish ?

I like that you acknowledge that everyone has their own tastes and I enjoyed reading your thoughts! ^^

• Like 2

15 hours ago, alupacard said:

Just curious on your opinion or perception of them! ^^

Not into them myself, and they're generally a turn-off on others.  Even pierced ears are a bit silly IMHO, mainly since I'm not much into jewelry either and I don't see the point otherwise.  (Especially considering the medical complications that piercings can cause.)

That said, I've seen tattoos that I like, and I'm not categorically against them in principle, but most people don't put much thought to getting a tattoo, and even when they do they don't get it done right.  Seems like a lot of people get one done one on the spur of the moment and/or at the closest/cheapest place - often in one of those moments of inspiration that come only after an evening over-consuming alcohol.  To me that seems like a really, really stupid way to go about it.  Maybe they're happy with the result, but to me it's like seeing a neon/velvet Elvis painting on their living room wall.  Amusing at best (and not in a good way).  The "gangster" tats that people get as a result of peer pressure or trying to fit in with a certain group don't impress me either.  The kinds of tats that I like are works of art, and should come with a story that's more interesting than "I got drunk one night".  Unfortunately art is hard to do well, and subjective even in the best of cases.  Personally I can't imagine a combination of subject matter, cost, and trust in the artist that would induce me to get one done myself.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

Not into them myself, and they're generally a turn-off on others.  Even pierced ears are a bit silly IMHO, mainly since I'm not much into jewelry either and I don't see the point otherwise.  (Especially considering the medical complications that piercings can cause.)

That said, I've seen tattoos that I like, and I'm not categorically against them in principle, but most people don't put much thought to getting a tattoo, and even when they do they don't get it done right.  Seems like a lot of people get one done one on the spur of the moment and/or at the closest/cheapest place - often in one of those moments of inspiration that come only after an evening over-consuming alcohol.  To me that seems like a really, really stupid way to go about it.  Maybe they're happy with the result, but to me it's like seeing a neon/velvet Elvis painting on their living room wall.  Amusing at best (and not in a good way).  The "gangster" tats that people get as a result of peer pressure or trying to fit in with a certain group don't impress me either.  The kinds of tats that I like are works of art, and should come with a story that's more interesting than "I got drunk one night".  Unfortunately art is hard to do well, and subjective even in the best of cases.  Personally I can't imagine a combination of subject matter, cost, and trust in the artist that would induce me to get one done myself.

The medical complications is certainly true in some cases and some of my friends have had some bad experiences with them (infections, rejection, etc.). I really like customization and accessories so I think that it why piercings are generally attractive to me. I use it mostly to have some sense of self expression ^^

Yeah, I do generally agree that someone should be well-informed and not be drunk when they make the decision to get inked. (But sometimes that is kind of a funny story and may hold some nice memories for that person). 

Thanks for sharing! It was nice getting to hear your thoughts :) 

As far as tattoos go...I just have one question: "Would you put a bumper sticker on a Rolls-Royce?"

I wouldn't....and that's why I don't have tattoos.

As for piercings.....NOBODY is punching a hole in my body.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

@alupacard my opinion on tattoos.  Honestly I love them.  I have a few myself.  Some that I've done and some that I haven't done.  I actually tried several times to become a tattoo artist.  But unfortunately.  Things don't always work out in this area the way that you want them too.  Maybe had I been from a different area I would of had a chance.  But everyone around here.  They just do you dirty with a smile on there face.  I've Got about Six Tats.  3 of which I've done myself.  Yeah I've been licensed and passed pathogens tests and hygiene/sterilization tests.  I'm actually more strict on this then a lot of shops I've been in.  I won't tattoo someone without wearing a mask either.  It's safer.   

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion and I believe if people don't want original and they want something that other people have as a tat then good for you.  If you like it get it.  For some people it can be like a cleansing therapy.  Artists talk about troubles and why they are getting tattoos.  Maybe being in a vulnerable position with that artist for what can be hours just makes you feel connected as they grind the ink into your skin with the sound of the machine buzzing.  There is a kind of comfort and connection that tends to happen.  And people more often then not open up and let loose all of these emotional burdens that they keep pent up.  And the artist tends to at least feel like they are listening.  It's an amazing experience that I've been a part of twice now.  I enjoy it.  

As far a piercings.  If that's what you want then you have every right.  I've had a few of those too. 

No shame there :)  You do you.  That's all I say.  

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

Probably will never get either.  Tattoos don't really change my opinion at all.  I've had several coworkers over the years that have had plenty of them, so I guess I'm just used to it?  Only thing I don't like about Tattoos is when you can't see their original skin anymore.  Other than that, I probably won't really even take notice.  Had a coworker have to point out that she even had a tattoo after like 5 weeks of working next to her.

Piercings look painful, and my mind generates 'pain' in a place similar to the person I saw having a piercing (this isn't limited to just piercings, but for the sake of the conversation, I won't go into what else).  I don't look down on it, but for my own well being, I really can't typically be around people with piercings for extended periods of time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FinDee said:

@alupacard my opinion on tattoos.  Honestly I love them.  I have a few myself.  Some that I've done and some that I haven't done.  I actually tried several times to become a tattoo artist.  But unfortunately.  Things don't always work out in this area the way that you want them too.  Maybe had I been from a different area I would of had a chance.  But everyone around here.  They just do you dirty with a smile on there face.  I've Got about Six Tats.  3 of which I've done myself.  Yeah I've been licensed and passed pathogens tests and hygiene/sterilization tests.  I'm actually more strict on this then a lot of shops I've been in.  I won't tattoo someone without wearing a mask either.  It's safer.   

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion and I believe if people don't want original and they want something that other people have as a tat then good for you.  If you like it get it.  For some people it can be like a cleansing therapy.  Artists talk about troubles and why they are getting tattoos.  Maybe being in a vulnerable position with that artist for what can be hours just makes you feel connected as they grind the ink into your skin with the sound of the machine buzzing.  There is a kind of comfort and connection that tends to happen.  And people more often then not open up and let loose all of these emotional burdens that they keep pent up.  And the artist tends to at least feel like they are listening.  It's an amazing experience that I've been a part of twice now.  I enjoy it.  

As far a piercings.  If that's what you want then you have every right.  I've had a few of those too. 

No shame there :)  You do you.  That's all I say.  

Man, I really appreciate this thoughtful response (My day has been terrible so far and this made me legitimately happy). I have really enjoyed reading everyone's response on this topic, but my sentiment on tattoos and piercings most closely echoes yours. I honestly really love tattoos. I think they're beautiful and individual. Even if the design is not as 'original', the combination of the tattoo, other tattoos the person may have, and the person themselves make for a cool story. I personally find it amazing that you were on the path to become a tattoo artist!! (Honestly would love to talk to you about that if you are open to it) I also never thought about how nice it is to just have that interaction with your artist. Really can make or break the whole experience. I'm also in a STEM-related field and I will admit that at times, I have not had the most 'welcome' reception. That's a whole other topic tho. I digress.

I love piercings also along with tattoos. Personally, all of mine have memories attached to them and I wouldn't trade them for anything. ^^ Anyway, rant over. Thanks again for your thoughts! 

1 hour ago, drill said:

Probably will never get either.  Tattoos don't really change my opinion at all.  I've had several coworkers over the years that have had plenty of them, so I guess I'm just used to it?  Only thing I don't like about Tattoos is when you can't see their original skin anymore.  Other than that, I probably won't really even take notice.  Had a coworker have to point out that she even had a tattoo after like 5 weeks of working next to her.

Piercings look painful, and my mind generates 'pain' in a place similar to the person I saw having a piercing (this isn't limited to just piercings, but for the sake of the conversation, I won't go into what else).  I don't look down on it, but for my own well being, I really can't typically be around people with piercings for extended periods of time.

This was really interesting to read! Hahah, your coworker must have been really surprised! ^^ Kind of neat that you are surrounded by people with tattoos tho. I can't say I am in the same environment which made me curious as to what others thought about this topic. 

T^T Do you also feel pain when someone stubs their toe or gets a paper cut? I cringe when I see that because I personally can imagine the pain associated with those (also because I hate paper cuts... they really hurt). Sorry, know you said you wouldn't go into it, but I am just curious because I can relate with empathy pain, but not necessarily piercing pain

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alupacard said:

I love piercings also along with tattoos. Personally, all of mine have memories attached to them and I wouldn't trade them for anything. ^^ Anyway, rant over. Thanks again for your thoughts! 

Just thought I'd chime in and mention that I think that is the best way to get one is having it tied to memories.  That way it can be a part of you in more ways than one, and I think that is really cool ^^

3 hours ago, alupacard said:

This was really interesting to read! Hahah, your coworker must have been really surprised! ^^ Kind of neat that you are surrounded by people with tattoos tho. I can't say I am in the same environment which made me curious as to what others thought about this topic. 

T^T Do you also feel pain when someone stubs their toe or gets a paper cut? I cringe when I see that because I personally can imagine the pain associated with those (also because I hate paper cuts... they really hurt). Sorry, know you said you wouldn't go into it, but I am just curious because I can relate with empathy pain, but not necessarily piercing pain

Yeah, she was!  She was just casually talking about getting another tattoo one day, and I was like, 'wait, you have a tattoo?'.  It's a butterfly one on the inside of her arm.  Not sure how I missed it really xP  Sorry to hear about your environment 😧 For certain things, I've kinda had to learn to only care so much about what other people care as negative.  If it doesn't do any harm to them, then it's not even fair to let them control what or how you are just based on their perception of something.

Yeah, just about any kind of empathy pain including those you listed applies to me as well.  I cringe when I see stuff like that, but not only that, if it stays stuck in my memory, I'll likely cringe every time I remember it.

• Like 1

I like them. Tats are awesome works of art. So are piercings in their own right. I do not have any myself. Though I more then support them. Even more so if they have meaning to one's life, or past.

Edited by ArchieKun
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, drill said:

Just thought I'd chime in and mention that I think that is the best way to get one is having it tied to memories.  That way it can be a part of you in more ways than one, and I think that is really cool ^^

Yeah, she was!  She was just casually talking about getting another tattoo one day, and I was like, 'wait, you have a tattoo?'.  It's a butterfly one on the inside of her arm.  Not sure how I missed it really xP  Sorry to hear about your environment 😧 For certain things, I've kinda had to learn to only care so much about what other people care as negative.  If it doesn't do any harm to them, then it's not even fair to let them control what or how you are just based on their perception of something.

Yeah, just about any kind of empathy pain including those you listed applies to me as well.  I cringe when I see stuff like that, but not only that, if it stays stuck in my memory, I'll likely cringe every time I remember it.

Thanks! This is the best way for me also personally :) I seriously respect people who have them for other reasons tho... I just like the aesthetic on others also haha ^^

Hahah, details details ^^ Seems really nice to have that openness about you two in work :) My environment isn't too big of a deal and I've grown a thicker skin since then. ^^ I really like your way of looking at others' perceptions! Really positive thinking and more power to you!

Oh my... T^T Hopefully it doesn't happen too often :( 

12 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

I like them. Tats are awesome works of art. So are piercings in their own right. I do not have any myself. Though I more then support them. Even more so if they have meaning to one's life, or past.

Agreed! Serious respect to the artist and client also... creativity on a complex medium and it's collaborative in most cases which makes it cool. Happy to hear your thoughts!! ^^

Hmm...depends.  Mind you, this is my personal opinion.  I'm not flaming anyone for having them, but most are a huge detractant to me.  You can do what you want...you're the one who has to live with it.  Just wish sometimes people weren't so fast to put their bodies on display for the world to see.  I know what I like and what I don't like.  Remember you asked me for my opinion on them...

As far as tatoos, as long as they can be covered up (I don't want to see your trampstamp or whatever - don't even care if you have a story to go with it), I have no issue with them.  In fact, I've seen lots of really beautiful ones, and ones that have real art to them, but I am not interested in looking at people's skin.  Most of them are downright tacky, however, poorly planned (usually on impulse) and oftentimes in places where they will end up being stretched and wrinkled to an even worse look someday.  Remember folks...you won't be young and pretty and thin forever.

As far as piercings go, it depends...  So normal piercings on the ear (and top of ear) are fine.  I can even handle having to look at someone with a piercing on their nose (side of nose only) and not think twice about it.  Tongue piercings, no thank you.  Eyebrow piercing, and I think you are an idiot to chance your eyesight for a piercing.  Belly button piercing, nope.  Bull piercing (middle of nose), I bet that's the first thing that gets grabbed in a catfight...  Genital piercing, please people stop telling me about your and your SO's piercings down there.  Don't want to know.  Nasty.  On the same level as genital piercing is ear lobe stretching with those circles.  Those make me throw up in my mouth a little.  Had a friend whose boyfriend had some the size of the palm of my hand.  I couldn't be in the same room as him without feeling nauseous.  It isn't pretty and it certainly is not cool.  I have actually stopped purchasing from stores who have hired clerks with these stretchers on them (because it sickens me to see them. I'd rather shop online than have to deal with that at the register.).  You can't cover it up.  You have to have "surgery" to fix it.  The last two I mentioned are people going to an extreme, which is rarely healthy.

It's an individual decision.  I just don't like most of it.

• Like 1

Everyone has different opinions and different likes and dislikes, I personally don't have an objection to tattoos and I think some of them can be extremely artistic and meaningful, however, if someone's just jumping on the 'band wagon' and trying to be cool by getting a tattoo that is ... well, disappointing.

I have the same stance on piercings. I don't dislike them and find that they can even be quite beautiful, however, as I said above about the tattoos, if someone's just getting piercings to be 'cool' I find it extremely stupid and a waste of money ...

The only reason I would (probably) refrain from getting tattoos and/or piercings is because of the medical problems that can occur and the fact that they are permanent. (Mainly because I do suffer from anxiety and having something permanent that may also cause medical problems would ... well, not be very good.)

I don't have any problem with anyone who does have piercings or tattoos though and I, honestly, find them very intriguing and even attractive when done the right way.

• Like 1

I have one tattoo and no piercings. Well, my ears are pierced (from when I was a kid), but I don't wear earrings (or any jewlery, really). I tend to stare at people with tattoos because I'm trying to look at what they have lol

• Like 1

On 8/22/2018 at 11:56 PM, Kohloo said:

I have one tattoo and no piercings. Well, my ears are pierced (from when I was a kid), but I don't wear earrings (or any jewlery, really). I tend to stare at people with tattoos because I'm trying to look at what they have lol

I also try and get a look at other people's tattoos, but sometimes it is pretty awkward to get caught staring lol ^^;

• Like 1