Geeks, Nerds & tech stuff here!

Geano

Hi guys I have been looking around the site, and I did not find a topic about this so I thought why not. I have always been into building my own pc, and doing mods to consoles as well as my other devices. I am also a programmer, and graphic/web artist. I want to know what do all of you like doing on the computer, and what keeps you doing it.

40 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

Hi guys I have been looking around the site, and I did not find a topic about this so I thought why not. I have always been into building my own pc, and doing mods to consoles as well as my other devices. I am also a programmer, and graphic/web artist. I want to know what do all of you like doing on the computer, and what keeps you doing it.

well. for one i enjoy surfing the net, used to play with a god (literal god), but those days are over till he apologizes to me for his treatment on me >:o

aside from that, i guess you could say im an artist ?, that is, i draw anime-styled characters, (usually original, sometimes fan-art) not really a great one, but everyone starts somewhere, and yea, drawing is pretty much what i do when i have free time 

(aside from debating whether i be a lazy person and do nothing, play mobile games, read VN's, or study all day) 

i draw couse, well, its kinda fun ?, though i guess its also couse im trying to make a game, (VN styled, maybe even RPGVX-styled, might switch to rpgvx), and well, a game cant be made, unless it has characters~!, and since i have no artists, i have devoted myself to become one~!

it sucks to be poor, no ? >.<

• Friendly 1

40 minutes ago, XII360 said:

well. for one i enjoy surfing the net, used to play with a god (literal god), but those days are over till he apologizes to me for his treatment on me >:o

aside from that, i guess you could say im an artist ?, that is, i draw anime-styled characters, (usually original, sometimes fan-art) not really a great one, but everyone starts somewhere, and yea, drawing is pretty much what i do when i have free time 

(aside from debating whether i be a lazy person and do nothing, play mobile games, read VN's, or study all day) 

i draw couse, well, its kinda fun ?, though i guess its also couse im trying to make a game, (VN styled, maybe even RPGVX-styled, might switch to rpgvx), and well, a game cant be made, unless it has characters~!, and since i have no artists, i have devoted myself to become one~!

it sucks to be poor, no ? >.<

I hear that being poor, or living on the edge of all your paychecks sucks sometimes. Sounds like you like a lot of the same things I do which is awesome. :) I amalso researching how to make a good game. A VN would be fun, and the programing for it would be fairly easy since its most;y menu inputs. A RPG is something I have done before in rpg maker. Have you heard of a program called Gamemakeer Studio before? I have used it as well. What game development software have you used, any suggestions for making a VN?

• Like 1

Just now, ArchieKun said:

I hear that being poor, or living on the edge of all your paychecks sucks sometimes. Sounds like you like a lot of the same things I do which is awesome. :) I amalso researching how to make a good game. A VN would be fun, and the programing for it would be fairly easy since its most;y menu inputs. A RPG is something I have done before in rpg maker. Have you heard of a program called Gamemakeer Studio before? I have used it as well. What game development software have you used, any suggestions for making a VN?

well, im not really that poor, compared to other people i know, im just somewhat of a...money-saving-maniac ?, and would rather think how i spend my cash than go throw it all away o_o 

ive heard of game maker studio, but never actually thought of making using it (dunno why really, most engine i played, they used was "rpgvx", ren'py or flash, so i somewhat just followed after them..?), and yea, for a VN, you would just need menu's and a script of the story, aside from the artwork of the characters you will use, which is why i am of into ~le artisto~

i used ren'py, its pretty much uses very very very basic coding language, (im sure anyone can code using it xD), and im not really a pro, per say, so im not sure what suggestions i can give ;o, a beginner cant give pro tips after all xD

• Friendly 1

4 minutes ago, XII360 said:

well, im not really that poor, compared to other people i know, im just somewhat of a...money-saving-maniac ?, and would rather think how i spend my cash than go throw it all away o_o 

ive heard of game maker studio, but never actually thought of making using it (dunno why really, most engine i played, they used was "rpgvx", ren'py or flash, so i somewhat just followed after them..?), and yea, for a VN, you would just need menu's and a script of the story, aside from the artwork of the characters you will use, which is why i am of into ~le artisto~

i used ren'py, its pretty much uses very very very basic coding language, (im sure anyone can code using it xD), and im not really a pro, per say, so im not sure what suggestions i can give ;o, a beginner cant give pro tips after all xD

I see yah in terms of how I spend money I am more of a spend big  on something like my computer, or setup then save up for a while to presurve my savings then do some big project again. In other words I am not a nickle and dimer.

I'll have to look at those engines seems cool, and even if the coding is simple long as it is effective thats what matters. If the programing syntax is tough to grasp for anyone advanced bargainer, or otherwise it won't be fun or productive. I am new, but I love php, and mysql. I just love the open source free platforms in terms of programing. Java is good one too for game development. From what I have seen it is not to hard to pick up either.

14 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

I'll have to look at those engines seems cool, and even if the coding is simple long as it is effective thats what matters. If the programing syntax is tough to grasp for anyone advanced bargainer, or otherwise it won't be fun or productive. I am new, but I love php, and mysql. I just love the open source free platforms in terms of programing. Java is good one too for game development. From what I have seen it is not to hard to pick up either.

wish i could study those computer languages, but 90% of the time, im stuck on studying about blood and human body fluids x.x

well, atleast, ill be able to speak doctor language...so thats something? i probably wont tho

also ren'py is free, so you can 100% check it out, rpgvx, free trial sure, but free trials are for chumps im a chump

32 minutes ago, FinDee said:

Hi, I myself am just generally an artist.  I lean twards the anime style.  Recent drawing drop.  

That looks very nice. I too have always had a anime style in terms of my drawing. I am more of digital artist though. Is this hand drawn in terms of the render?

I am mostly a "browse the web, post on forums, and check email" kind of girl.  I do have Gamemaker Studio 2 on my computer with the intent to someday make a Harvest Moon-like game.  Thing is, I will be teaching myself to do it all from the ground up.  Will probably never come to fruition though I've already got a notebook filled with townsfolk, vegetables, farm ideas, easter eggs and the like.  Maybe in 10 or so years...at the speed of me lol....

4 minutes ago, Beocat said:

I am mostly a "browse the web, post on forums, and check email" kind of girl.  I do have Gamemaker Studio 2 on my computer with the intent to someday make a Harvest Moon-like game.  Thing is, I will be teaching myself to do it all from the ground up.  Will probably never come to fruition though I've already got a notebook filled with townsfolk, vegetables, farm ideas, easter eggs and the like.  Maybe in 10 or so years...at the speed of me lol....

A harvest moon sort of game is gonna take a lot of work. Though I doubt 10 years. I would say if you, and maybe another person sat down could be done in 8 months to a year. Perhaps even less. Game Maker is nice though because it is fairly simplistic compared to other engines out there. Have you worked on the story for this game idea?

1 minute ago, ArchieKun said:

A harvest moon sort of game is gonna take a lot of work. Though I doubt 10 years. I would say if you, and maybe another person sat down could be done in 8 months to a year. Perhaps even less. Game Maker is nice though because it is fairly simplistic compared to other engines out there. Have you worked on the story for this game idea?

I have somewhat.  It's been a spare time thing so I have most of the backbones in the right places.  I've been taking a different approach too on some things (that both increases the difficulty and other parts where it would make the game interesting even on replays).  I have general summaries worked out for the grand scheme but now I'm working on the townsfolk backstories and personalities.  I've figured out what I want in the townsfolk, just have to find the time to keep pecking at it.  Keep in mind, I have no prior experience at all...and I probably have some lofty goals for the game lol....  Aim for the moon, eh?

4 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

Hi guys I have been looking around the site, and I did not find a topic about this so I thought why not

We used to have an entire section here dedicated to technology, but that disappeared like a few other things, which makes sense, considering how many generic sections we have to cover everything.

As for the topic itself, I like do blogging and dabble around a bit on the computer, like programming (I have pretty much created a basic foundation for a text-based RPG in Swift) and try out a few things with my Adobe software, as well as create layouts/themes for blog platforms.

I keep doing this stuff because I want to have a variety of skills.

2 minutes ago, Beocat said:

I have somewhat.  It's been a spare time thing so I have most of the backbones in the right places.  I've been taking a different approach too on some things (that both increases the difficulty and other parts where it would make the game interesting even on replays).  I have general summaries worked out for the grand scheme but now I'm working on the townsfolk backstories and personalities.  I've figured out what I want in the townsfolk, just have to find the time to keep pecking at it.  Keep in mind, I have no prior experience at all...and I probably have some lofty goals for the game lol....  Aim for the moon, eh?

Sounds like you have something there. Already got a good amount of work done on the npcs. Often the story is the hardest part with making games since the programing is far simpler in comparison. I do of course mean its more standardized not necessarily easy to do. I must say you have me rather interested. Would you mind sharing more?

4 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

Sounds like you have something there. Already got a good amount of work done on the npcs. Often the story is the hardest part with making games since the programing is far simpler in comparison. I do of course mean its more standardized not necessarily easy to do. I must say you have me rather interested. Would you mind sharing more?

I would share more but only under a "business" agreement, if you know what I mean.  Story writing is my specialty and I can often craft some very interesting characters and environments.  That being said, if I saw my creation pop up on steam without me being a part of making it happen, I'd be pretty sad...a little upset too.  If you are looking to create a game or start up an indie studio and need a writer on board, I can help out for sure there :)

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Beocat said:

I would share more but only under a "business" agreement, if you know what I mean.  Story writing is my specialty and I can often craft some very interesting characters and environments.  That being said, if I saw my creation pop up on steam without me being a part of making it happen, I'd be pretty sad...a little upset too.  If you are looking to create a game or start up an indie studio and need a writer on board, I can help out for sure there :)

Nah don't be sorry I get what your getting at don't want to risk your idea publicity. What other things tech wise do you like doing.

19 minutes ago, brycec said:

We used to have an entire section here dedicated to technology, but that disappeared like a few other things, which makes sense, considering how many generic sections we have to cover everything.

As for the topic itself, I like do blogging and dabble around a bit on the computer, like programming (I have pretty much created a basic foundation for a text-based RPG in Swift) and try out a few things with my Adobe software, as well as create layouts/themes for blog platforms.

I keep doing this stuff because I want to have a variety of skills.

Nice thats awesome. I love love love Adobe software. I am very skilled with PS, DW, IA, and a little in Flash. What about you, and which is your favorite?

1 minute ago, ArchieKun said:

Nice thats awesome. I love love love Adobe software. I am very skilled with PS, DW, IA, and a little in Flash. What about you, and which is your favorite

I like using Dreamweaver, especially now that I do not need a dev server to test responsive designs, though I mainly stick to using code view (I highly prefer doing the HTML, CSS, and PHP myself).

The other software I am familiar with is InDesign and I have been able to make something that looks highly professional for a church I belong to, though no longer attend, due to how annoying the members are overall.

In fact, it was enough of a high quality product that they wanted my template, though I could not give it to them, as Adobe products are not in wide use in that church.

I am kind of weak with the other programs from them though, like Photoshop, Illustrator, and Animate (formerly known as Flash). I had classes in high school that used those three, but I use Photoshop and Illustrator more, with Lightroom seeing more use than Photoshop.

Right now, I want to figure out Premiere, even though it has been a while since I did any video editing.

15 minutes ago, brycec said:

I like using Dreamweaver, especially now that I do not need a dev server to test responsive designs, though I mainly stick to using code view (I highly prefer doing the HTML, CSS, and PHP myself).

The other software I am familiar with is InDesign and I have been able to make something that looks highly professional for a church I belong to, though no longer attend, due to how annoying the members are overall.

In fact, it was enough of a high quality product that they wanted my template, though I could not give it to them, as Adobe products are not in wide use in that church.

I am kind of weak with the other programs from them though, like Photoshop, Illustrator, and Animate (formerly known as Flash). I had classes in high school that used those three, but I use Photoshop and Illustrator more, with Lightroom seeing more use than Photoshop.

Right now, I want to figure out Premiere, even though it has been a while since I did any video editing.

Yes I fully agree in nearly every situation I prefer to do my own coding. Web programing is one of my specialties compared to other app development. I like php, and mysql because they are open source. Also for the most part they are way friendlier then Microsoft's alternatives. So do you do anything from hardware like building your own system or other dyi projects like RasburryPI.

3 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

So do you do anything from hardware like building your own system or other dyi projects like RasburryPI.

That’s mostly out of the question. I have dealt with computing recycling as a volunteer once, so I can get into computers to replace hard drives and RAM, and I am aware of what I need to make a computer, but I am not physically able to do it.

Raspberry Pi might be a little more feasible than building an actual computer. I do not deal with hardware generally though, due to my disability and medical condition.

3 minutes ago, brycec said:

That’s mostly out of the question. I have dealt with computing recycling as a volunteer once, so I can get into computers to replace hard drives and RAM, and I am aware of what I need to make a computer, but I am not physically able to do it.

Raspberry Pi might be a little more feasible than building an actual computer. I do not deal with hardware generally though, due to my disability and medical condition.

Thats ok gotta do what you can. Ya there are a lot of RaspberryPI has so many different things out now it has become its own standard.

2 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

Thats ok gotta do what you can. Ya there are a lot of RaspberryPI has so many different things out now it has become its own standard.

That is certainly true, as I see a lot of people talking about it.

Of course, I wish 1024 YB SSDs existed, so that I would have an ability to make RaspberryPi truly be a future proof HTPC, seeing as 4K video files will be way larger than 1080p files.

1 minute ago, brycec said:

That is certainly true, as I see a lot of people talking about it.

Of course, I wish 1024 YB SSDs existed, so that I would have an ability to make RaspberryPi truly be a future proof HTPC, seeing as 4K video files will be way larger than 1080p files.

True that anything in 4K is very large, and hard to store on any storage device. Though more recently we have had 10-12TB individual hdds cumming to the consumer market to help with this. Even the WD Gold enterprise drives go for just over $300 a pop which is a lot, but not really when you consider all your getting.

As far as RasberryPIs go I personally want to do the RetroPI, and MintiPI devices which are basicly retro game emulator boxes.

5 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

True that anything in 4K is very large, and hard to store on any storage device. Though more recently we have had 10-12TB individual hdds cumming to the consumer market to help with this. Even the WD Gold enterprise drives go for just over $300 a pop which is a lot, but not really when you consider all your getting.

Interesting, though I knew HDD was still the king of capacities today. Of course, people will still believe they get that entire 10-12 TB, as they do not calculate out the storage, or even take the file system into account.

My philosophy is to always get a storage device that has double, at minimum, the capacity of what you have (e.g. if you have a computer with a 512/500 GB hard drive, get a computer with at least 1 TB), so that storage problems will be not be encountered.

Also, it is interesting that you would want a retro game emulator box. What games do you play to have running on them, should you get either PI model?

7 minutes ago, brycec said:

Interesting, though I knew HDD was still the king of capacities today. Of course, people will still believe they get that entire 10-12 TB, as they do not calculate out the storage, or even take the file system into account.

My philosophy is to always get a storage device that has double, at minimum, the capacity of what you have (e.g. if you have a computer with a 512/500 GB hard drive, get a computer with at least 1 TB), so that storage problems will be not be encountered.

Also, it is interesting that you would want a retro game emulator box. What games do you play to have running on them, should you get either PI model?

I agree with you on that storage mindset. Though the acusal amount of avaible storage you can use largely depends on the OS you use because each OS addresses it differently depending on how it is formatted.

I currently play a lot of retro games from old consoles on my pc with emulator software such as Project64, Dalphin which is a GC/Wii game emulator. PSX/PSX2 is for playstion, and PS2. There are of course many others. I don't need a PI by any means with my setup, but it would be a fun project. It would be awesome just seeing it work too.

To answer your other question though I'd say my favorite retro series is smt, and Mario rpg, paper mario, and paper mario thousand year door. RPGs are by far my favorite type of game. My favorite console line both retro, and new though has to be PS line due to the large amount of jrpgs. I'd say another game I like even more then those is Kingdom Hearts. How about you. What would you wanna play on the retropi?

Not much else tech-wise here.  Once upon a time maybe...but that time has passed me by.  Wish I had taken some programming/tech classes in college.  I play video games but no modding.  I am planning on upgrading to a fancy (ahem...expensive) telescope soon (with it's own software to boot) and doing some astroimaging so I might need a better computer for that.  Will cross that bridge after I get there lol...

17 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

I agree with you on that storage mindset. Though the acusal amount of avaible storage you can use largely depends on the OS you use because each OS addresses it differently depending on how it is formatted.

I currently play a lot of retro games from old consoles on my pc with emulator software such as Project64, Dalphin which is a GC/Wii game emulator. PSX/PSX2 is for playstion, and PS2. There are of course many others. I don't need a PI by any means with my setup, but it would be a fun project. It would be awesome just seeing it work too.

To answer your other question though I'd say my favorite retro series is smt, and Mario rpg, paper mario, and paper mario thousand year door. RPGs are by far my favorite type of game. My favorite console line both retro, and new though has to be PS line due to the large amount of jrpgs. I'd say another game I like even more then those is Kingdom Hearts. How about you. What would you wanna play on the retropi?

I can certainly see that, though most of the newer operating systems can see things just fine, since it comes out to about what rough estimates from (x1000^y)/(1024^y) are still pretty accurate. It would also depend on if the OS resides on that drive or not.

As for retro games, probably SaGa 2 (FF Legend 2, as it is called here) would probably be my biggest, or maybe Pac Man or Tetris. I would have included Dragon Quest, but because those games are on Android and iOS, I do not need an emulator for them.

Edited by brycec