Geeks, Nerds & tech stuff here!

Geano

12 minutes ago, brycec said:

I can certainly see that, though most of the newer operating systems can see things just fine, since it comes out to about what rough estimates from (x1000^y)/(1024^y) are still pretty accurate. It would also depend on if the OS resides on that drive or not.

As for retro games, probably SaGa 2 (FF Legend 2, as it is called here) would probably be my biggest, or maybe Pac Man or Tetris. I would have included Dragon Quest, but because those games are on Android and iOS, I do not need an emulator for them.

Yah the RetroPI like most of those kits are mostly for bragging rights for the most part. Thats good you got those on the mobile platform So speaking of the mobile stuff what do you think of the Note 9. Apparently it has AI with the camera for better accuracy that the S9 dose not have not to mention a very good battery.

6 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

Yah the RetroPI like most of those kits are mostly for bragging rights for the most part. Thats good you got those on the mobile platform So speaking of the mobile stuff what do you think of the Note 9. Apparently it has AI with the camera for better accuracy that the S9 dose not have not to mention a very good battery.

I cannot really comment on the Note 9, as I have not looked at it. I have an S8+ and will probably not be needing to look for a new phone until Samsung decides to release the S10, at the earliest.

I have been looking at new phones to see where things are going, and I do not like it, with the whole movement to remove the head phone jack (makes things less convenient for me).

However, if I were to get a new phone, it would probably be an iPhone, as they tend to have the greatest storage capacity, and the family wants everyone to have the same phone for troubleshooting purposes (you would think that this would not be much of a problem with Android, but there have been times that I had functionality native to my phone that just could not be turned on another phone, even though both were S8+ phones and on the same carrier).

I would be giving up the convenience of wired headphones, but there would less chance of things looking and functioning differently, and I would be able to play my Dragon Quest games without paying for them again, not mention Plex seems to work better on my iPad than my phone, because a movie would not play on Android, though it was in the right format, but it did in Plex’s iOS app.

4 minutes ago, brycec said:

I cannot really comment on the Note 9, as I have not looked at it. I have an S8+ and will probably not be needing to look for a new phone until Samsung decides to release the S10, at the earliest.

I have been looking at new phones to see where things are going, and I do not like it, with the whole movement to remove the head phone jack (makes things less convenient for me).

However, if I were to get a new phone, it would probably be an iPhone, as they tend to have the greatest storage capacity, and the family wants everyone to have the same phone for troubleshooting purposes (you would think that this would not be much of a problem with Android, but there have been times that I had functionality native to my phone that just could not be turned on another phone, even though both were S8+ phones and on the same carrier).

I would be giving up the convenience of wired headphones, but there would less chance of things looking and functioning differently, and I would be able to play my Dragon Quest games without paying for them again, not mention Plex seems to work better on my iPad than my phone, because a movie would not play on Android, though it was in the right format, but it did in Plex’s iOS app.

Ahh I see well whatever works for you is what you should go with. I have seen that with plex it seems not to like android as much. I don't use plex anymore though. I used to, but it just got to be to much work when other apps like vlc player work just as well for far less effort. I do understand how plex works, and how to configure it for both home servers, and NAS servers, but I think its just to much when it comes to how your media file structure needs to be. For the amount of work you need to do just to view some files a certain way, and over your network isn't worth it to me. Plus their privacy policy isn't clear. I have read they have started to record more data then they need to develop updates for their software. Some information just isn't needed such as personal media info. I understand they are saying they are using this for trending reports, but still dose not sit right with me.

Hi guys I have been looking around the site, and I did not find a topic about this so I thought why not. I have always been into building my own pc, and doing mods to consoles as well as my other devices. I am also a programmer, and graphic/web artist. I want to know what do all of you like doing on the computer, and what keeps you doing it.

Apart from gaming, especially running some emulator or good ol' DOSBox games, and browising the web -mostly YT, reading manga, watching anime and visiting some forums- I use my PC to write and I recently picked up on picture editing which is pretty fun to try some stuff out, especially taking my wallpapers and changing them into something different - but predomidantly I use my PC to program. Not a fan of anything web related (i.e. html, php, mysql, etc...), I prefer stuff related to maths and computability (theory). What I like doing, is looking at an algorithm, what it wants to achieve and roughly the idea of how it should work and then figure all the details out, and the compare 'my' algorithm with the actual algorithm. Most of this  can be done with any of the common languages. (Granted, I usually start out with a pen and a piece of paper >.>) And I use my PC for electronics, but that falls under the category of programming, I guess.

I used to be a lot on Discord but I disliked being on large servers, they're simply too 'crowded' for me, and all the smaller ones eventually died out , so I think I haven't opened my Discord in a looong while >.>

3 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

That looks very nice. I too have always had a anime style in terms of my drawing. I am more of digital artist though. Is this hand drawn in terms of the render?

it's digital.  I use clip studio and such for my stuff.  

23 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

Ahh I see well whatever works for you is what you should go with. I have seen that with plex it seems not to like android as much. I don't use plex anymore though. I used to, but it just got to be to much work when other apps like vlc player work just as well for far less effort. I do understand how plex works, and how to configure it for both home servers, and NAS servers, but I think its just to much when it comes to how your media file structure needs to be. For the amount of work you need to do just to view some files a certain way, and over your network isn't worth it to me. Plus their privacy policy isn't clear. I have read they have started to record more data then they need to develop updates for their software. Some information just isn't needed such as personal media info. I understand they are saying they are using this for trending reports, but still dose not sit right with me.

I mainly started using Plex because the builtin functionality to stream from NAS did not work quite right, thanks to the ISP, since I have not had issues after changing providers, but I like it, as I essentially get a self hosted Netflix.

As for the structure, it is not that bad, as I usually run things through Filebot to get the structure right and it hooks into the various databases. Besides, the structure was not that different from XBMC/Kodi, and I had been using that before.

I like VLC too, but I am beginning to hate it on Android, as it will not group my shows together in the right order. It is probably doing this because it uses video name, as opposed to filename, but it makes it hard to watch on the go in plays without Internet. Plus, my family thinks that I do not need more than the 128 GB SD card I have, even though I have tons of music, especially in FLAC, one HD movie that is about 5 GB, (1080p HD) 9 series that are either single season or full length, most of which are 1080p HD, and I shoot photos in the RAW format, which I post process in Lightroom.

4 minutes ago, leinwandname said:

Apart from gaming, especially running some emulator or good ol' DOSBox games, and browising the web -mostly YT, reading manga, watching anime and visiting some forums- I use my PC to write and I recently picked up on picture editing which is pretty fun to try some stuff out, especially taking my wallpapers and changing them into something different - but predomidantly I use my PC to program. Not a fan of anything web related (i.e. html, php, mysql, etc...), I prefer stuff related to maths and computability (theory). What I like doing, is looking at an algorithm, what it wants to achieve and roughly the idea of how it should work and then figure all the details out, and the compare 'my' algorithm with the actual algorithm. Most of this  can be done with any of the common languages. (Granted, I usually start out with a pen and a piece of paper >.>) And I use my PC for electronics, but that falls under the category of programming, I guess.

I used to be a lot on Discord but I disliked being on large servers, they're simply too 'crowded' for me, and all the smaller ones eventually died out , so I think I haven't opened my Discord in a looong while >.>

Discord is what you make of it I say. I have one, but I agree the large servers are simply to fast for me. Can't get any meaningful convo in. Though I have found if you caa find a good moderate sized one then you can have a good time. They also tend to be far more topic based unlike a forum like this. I think Discord can be really good for private chats like using it instead of skype, or teamspeak.

7 minutes ago, FinDee said:

it's digital.  I use clip studio and such for my stuff.  

Nice very nice. What others have you done, and what other art programs do you like?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Beocat said:

Not much else tech-wise here.  Once upon a time maybe...but that time has passed me by.  Wish I had taken some programming/tech classes in college.  I play video games but no modding.  I am planning on upgrading to a fancy (ahem...expensive) telescope soon (with it's own software to boot) and doing some astroimaging so I might need a better computer for that.  Will cross that bridge after I get there lol...

Thats all good tech is such a wide range of things. Plus there is plenty of other geeky things out there to take interest in.

21 hours ago, brycec said:

I can certainly see that, though most of the newer operating systems can see things just fine, since it comes out to about what rough estimates from (x1000^y)/(1024^y) are still pretty accurate. It would also depend on if the OS resides on that drive or not.

As for retro games, probably SaGa 2 (FF Legend 2, as it is called here) would probably be my biggest, or maybe Pac Man or Tetris. I would have included Dragon Quest, but because those games are on Android and iOS, I do not need an emulator for them.

Yes that is very true. There is also a lot that goes into formatting a drive logically that ends up using a little space anyway. Though yes some manufactures are better at allowing for more space then others. Sega is awesome I love Sonic at least until he kinda fizzed out in the early 2000s per say. I also loved House of the dead back in the day.

15 minutes ago, Wedgy said:

I've dipped my toes in a variety of creative outlets. In high school I used to draw a fair bit and would do a lot of work in Adobe software, namely InDesign and Illustrator. I knew my way around Photoshop and may have even once thought I could make it as a graphic designer or some such. I tried editing videos, but that quickly crashed and burned for me since I couldn't share them (the upload would completely unfurl our internet bills.) What stuck with me was writing. I kept a notebook and wrote countless short stories in it throughout the years. Writing, much like drawing, is an inexpensive way to express yourself, and I needed a simple way to do that without running the bills up or constantly needing to resupply with anything but a pen and paper. 

If only the mental burn from my day jobs left a little more room to feed my creativity these days. :( 

I don't think I touched on this earlier, but I know next to nothing about InDesign. My understanding is that it is for the print, or emag industry.

I could help with some concepts on video editing if you had any questions. I find it to be a lot like photo editing, or more like animation honestly which in a way it is.

What kinda stuff did you write in your short stories?

On 8/23/2018 at 10:35 PM, Wedgy said:

I know how to edit videos fine, but there's hardly a point when uploading them makes my internet bill quadruple. No thanks.

You would be correct- InDesign is used for print. It's got some very nice tools and it's easy to learn. In school, I used it primarily to put together the yearbooks, but I was also involved in other journalism projects and once I found the value in it, I was using it to mark up event flyers, newspaper, even some class projects. Since that time I've used to put together PDF files to email my colleagues at work (the other dietician runs a lifestyles programme but she's like 70 years old and so I help her out with that stuff because I love her.) I've also played with it putting together some ebooks for personal use, in hopes that in the future I can write something I'm proud of and self-publish using the same tools.

As for the short stories... well, all sorts of things. I had at the time a very distinct interest in not only the supernatural, but for some reason sci-fi like themes. Often together. I loved writing with a challenge in mind. One such I can remember was to write a drama without using a certain letter (I think it was O.) I ended up going pretty crazy with it, I wrote a pretty dark one about a kid who had the power to see numbers carved into peoples' skins, indicating how dangerous they were (typical writing prompt right, the old number over the head thing.) Only, he could never see the number on his own skin. His mother introduces him to her new boyfriend and it turns out he's a big, mean red eight. It was a very dramatic sort of story, but in the end, the kid loses his mind, headbutts the mirror and looks up to find a black as sin ten etched into his face from the broken glass before he goes down to "talk" to his mother's boyfriend. 

Sometimes I'd write short stories based on... unique dreams I've had. The coolest dream I ever had, I did end up writing down and expanding into another of these short stories. It was about a prisoner who is being transferred to a lockup facility on another planet where he is doomed to rot, but he dies from an illness during the commute. His ghost takes over the ship and essentially holds the crew hostage and it turned out to be very reminiscent of Saw. Some of the crew die, but those who survived managed to take back the ship and crash it into the sea.

Anyway, I don't write as much spooky, weird stuff anymore. I'm a little more rooted in reality and life n' times now, I like to write about more relatable subjects.

Very interesting, and thats cool you make ebooks. I have always been more of video tutorial learner , but there are some things best explained in text. Do you actively work with other apps in the adobe suite as well.