Old or New Anime series?

Geano

@RepentantSky, that's a good list.  Thanks for sharing it with us again :)  You got me thinking on some of them...My thoughts....

10.  I do agree with this one.  I actually watch a lot of anime these days that are not set in high school (and have older characters).  Some examples include Log Horizon (they are mostly college/post college aged), Recovery of an MMO Junkie, Otome Yokai Zakuro (the girls are difficult to age, but the men seem to be in their low to late 20's), most Leiji anime, and so forth.  I really started avoiding the high school anime about 4-6 years ago and limiting my purchases of them to certain genres (exceptions being magical girl animes - they tend to thrive in school settings).  I just don't enjoy them as much and I know that you can use older individuals and still get a great story from it.   I watch some from time to time, but I don't look forward to them as much.

9.  Yes!  But let me fix your error...  Overly sexual high school girls.  The day I watch an anime girl fondle and squeeze a man's grapes in an anime grocery store...  Well, I'd call that a two way street then.  ;)  I do see where you are coming from, but the sexualization is heavily skewed toward sexualizing females.  Now, I want to point out that not every male should be a chiseled body of lean perfection.  I like my nerds tall, pale, and a little bit weak if you know what I mean.  The way most anime males look in a bathing suit is like they spend a couple of hours every morning toning their abs yeck!  Muscles are not always equal to sex appeal.  Some good chest hair is quite alluring at times on the right body (though come to think of it...Japanese men might not grow chest hair...O_O  ).  Takes all kinds of kinds.

8.  I haven't really noticed this.  I wish you had given some paired examples for me to look up with anime titles.  I'm actually quite interested in this.  Namely because I hadn't noticed it...  I do know that usually the first 1-2 episodes are corny all the way to the moon and back...

7.  I never watched Re:Zero….  hope that didn't cause anyone to have seizures.  I can't really comment on this one =/   

6.  I bet you didn't like Uta no Prince-sama…  I too dislike the eyes lacking expression and depth.  It works in some anime but only for certain characters.  Uta no Prince-sama...well, she has no actual personality (you are supposed to project yourself onto her I suppose) so the lack of detail there is alright.  If the guys had been the same way, I would have been very displeased.  To pair with this thought is the mind control glaze as I like to call it.  If no one else can immediately notice the glazed look of sudden "glassy eyes that look like a window with the glare of sunlight on it", then I don't want to see it either.  Keep the eyes the same.  Their lack of expression is enough to get the point across.

5.  ~gasp~  But the Reverse Harems are just now starting to make their way to America in larger numbers!  I agree though that it doesn't have a place in most anime that are using it.  Another point here.  Harems have had a negative impact on anime families.  These days, the only reason the male MC has a little sister is so she can be a future harem member.  So sad....so sad....

4.  I'm going to go out and get myself shot at...  lots of relationships are straight.  If they weren't, we'd have a negative population rate on our hands.  I'd like in video games for the developers to stop assuming that everyone is bisexual, but unless I create my own game, I have no leg to stand on (for example, when Miranda (and Jack) told my female Shephard she wasn't romantically interested in me in Mass Effect 2...when I wasn't trying to romance her, just be her friend, that irritated me!  Geez!  Can't I just have a best friend!?  Why does it always have to be "oh you are talking to me and kind to me.  You must want to bang me."  Ugh!  Morrigan did the same thing in DAO if I remember correctly.  You aren't allowed to have friends in video games, only lovers!).  That said, if the author wants them to be straight, bi, gay, les, undecided, hermaphrodite, whatever, then it's the author's story.  I'm just fortunate enough to get to see it as an anime.  That doesn't really have anything to do with the anime studio (though in Cardcaptor Sakura, a gay relationship was portrayed in the dub as being a "bromance" but I believe that was in large part due to the era and the target audience that was taken into consideration and not the studio's direct opinions on the relationship itself.  This is pretty uncommon to happen these days as far as I know.).  I personally become irritated when a character that was written as straight by an author is changed to be homosexual by a studio to satisfy that demographic (Star Trek anyone?).  Make a new character if you want that.  There is a certain level of respect that should be shown to an author when handling their creation (their brain baby!).  I do believe that the proportion of manga/visual novels that are yuri/yaoi are much higher than what becomes anime.  Why they don't become anime, I don't know.  I'm going to throw this out there too.  A friend of mine was a fan of the old Battlestar Galactica.  Refused to watch the new Galactica because Starbuck was a girl.  While I enjoyed the new Galactica, I completely and totally understand where he is coming from.  Change is bad!  >_< 

3.  I don't really go with a lot of action anime anymore so I wouldn't know...

2.  Mmmmm…..brains...…excessive blood splatter...…     I think I get what you are saying here...  Gore is to Horror Anime like Ecchi is to Harems....  Mmmmmmm…..yummmmm…….

1.  Hadn't noticed this either.  I prefer watching dubs when I can (less reading.  My eyes are bad enough from my job.  The less I strain them the better!).  When I watch subs, I think I just assume that I can't tell the difference in voices because they are in Japanese.  In America...the difference is easy (in part due to accents and inflections).  It is easier to pull out differences in anime with singing (Uta no Prince-sama, Dance with Devils, etc).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, brycec said:

I liked Fairy Tail in the early episodes, but, after a while, it felt like it was going on too long

I have that issue with a lot of series.  With FT I think I quit in the middle of the second season.  Either that or I did watch it but just don't remember it.  I don't care how good the writing is, by the time the episode count gets to the triple digits the plots get formulaic and repetitive.  (Some series barely make it to double digits.)  So many started out well but after a while I just felt like they were a waste of time.  Very, very few actually get better after the second or third season.  (IMHO, YMMV, etc, etc...)

• Like 1

@RepentantSky Just throwing my cents at this - not critizising your list, I agree with many points, just raising a few issues.

10. Yes, there are fewer and fewer anime directed to adults, it seems -though every season there a some. But I can understand it from the point of view from the industry. Teenagers a simply a bigger target audience. While adults can also watch anime, and many do, there are simply more teenagers and making anime for them (i.e. high school anime) is more profitable. And many mangaka and creators have little experience in the world of working (apart from the anime/manga biz), so creating content about highschool life, to various degrees of realism, probably feels more natural to them. Even though there's plenty of adult/working manga out there. But I agree with your point! (If you haven't seen it, Hataraki Man is a pretty good anime about working. I wish we'd see more like that)

9. Hmm, agree with that overall. But we should draw a line between sexualizing and making the character hot/sexy/whatever. If the character is fashionable, likes to dress more "leger" to put it simple, it kinda fits to the characters - and there are people out there who sexualize themselves for the sake of doing it. But having too many of these is... not my taste. But if it doesn't fit there character its just obnoxious - I remember in Arslan senki this one female warrior monk or whatever, Farangis was the name I think, where it made no sense top have her this... revealing... and totally destroyed the characters and partly the show for me. Of course this doesn't mean that it'd be ok to have hundreds of women with buoy as boobs if all of them are some slutty characters... it doesn't make sense either. Another example is Hai to Gensou no Grimgar - I loved watching this show but the fan service often broke the mood, it was simply unnecessary and a stupid decision. And example where it partly makes sense is Free! , and many other sports anime. Having athletic characters with little or skin tight clothes makes sorty sense, though sometimes it was just weird and unnecessary. But again, I agree overall with this point!

8. Agree with this one. Creators should be more... creative. But again, the industry is partly (not blaming everything on the industry, tho) responsible... it forces mangaka to crank out volume after volume which kinda leaves little time for coming up with good diaogue - and good dialogue is kinda hard to begin with. Many authors struggle with this.

7. Yepp, again kind of a creativity problem.

7. Now that's interesting. While I would be inclined to agree that realistic anime, for example some anime with a realistic setting, real characters, etc... should have not have some over the top character design, I'd disagree for most other settings. When you have some fast paced action anime, or some comedy anime, I really don't care about the eyes of the characters. It's not the main focus and the tension and the mood of the scene should be set with music, colours, actions of the chars, and their thoughts. I really dislike these shots where the camera shows a character's eye and then this eye makes some weird movements, or has some weird lense flare thingy moving that shows that they are determined. Can't they convey some characters determination or other emotions with the character's stance?

5. I don't watch Harem anime so I don't really care. I care when it isn't a designated harem anime, its really obnoxious, but if the genre says "harem" I usually don't care because I don't watch them. What I don't like are the "subtle harem" anime where you have one male protagonist and a bunch of girls who are not necessarily romantically interested in the MC but still always hang around him and care for some reason about everything he does.

4. Aren't there a lot Yuri and Yaoi anime out there, I mean if you say you don't care if it either of them you are kinda ignoring anime that have non-striaght relationships for the sake of doing it? I didn't really get that, maybe you could elaborate on that more, I think I'm misunderstanding here somethin - Sry... I don't know many because I don't care much about this but I think there are plenty with none straight cuples.

A love triangle like that could make for some amazing story telling.

I'd reduce it to "for some more amazing story telling". It doesn't what genre, action, fantasy, sci-fi, romance, etc... the lack of good story telling is a problem.

3. Agree with that. Sometimes it can look good but many times it's just like "Hey look! Smooth animations, lots of colourful and shaky camera!" And often its just boring while everything in the show is going nuts...

2.Depends on the tone of the anime. If its something dark like Berserk or eve Gantz (though talking about the manga here) it kinda fits the tone and setting. If its your typical highschool anime with superpowers of superness... yes, its just unecessary and ... "edgy" - I really hate this word but it kinda fits here.

1. Yepp, agree! Can even be immersion-breaking

In terms of storyline, I feel like the older animes have more depth on them. I feel like today's animes all have the same plots sometimes and some are so shallow.

Well, ofc in terms of animation, today is better. But I hate 3D animation on anime! It makes them look like cartoons!

4 minutes ago, piiachu said:

In terms of storyline, I feel like the older animes have more depth on them. I feel like today's animes all have the same plots sometimes and some are so shallow.

Well, ofc in terms of animation, today is better. But I hate 3D animation on anime! It makes them look like cartoons!

Thats because people in general have far smaller attention spans then they used to a lot of media has reflected this including anime. Though in the past couple years even though series are still shorter I see them getting slightly longer, and more developed. Though the days of 8-15 season anime are mostly over except for series that have continued since those days.

On 8/30/2018 at 6:22 AM, ArchieKun said:

Though the days of 8-15 season anime are mostly over except for series that have continued since those days.

I'm kind of glad about this, maybe it's just the series I've seen but I feel like shows that drag on tend to get bogged while trying to basically never end, leaving the watcher wanting more I don't see as along as you feel satisfied with the ending. 

Personal say that I'm a bigger fan of older shows, but I feel like that could be cause it's so much easier to know what is a gem not only with the time difference but with how much anime gets released now days it's easy to miss a show that could really click with you.

• Agree 1

I used to gravitate more towards older shows that are already finished. A big part of it was that I found it hard and overlwhelming to try and watch newer things. Keeping up with something ongoing is basically impossible for me, and I just never really had much interest in trying to choose something that was new but finished for the season. 

Lately though, I've started to explore a little bit more into newer stuff. I've been slowly watching Hinamatsuri with someone

1 hour ago, Kohloo said:

I just never really had much interest in trying to choose something that was new but finished for the season

For me it is like starting a book in a series that isn't finished yet.  I don't really want to start on something that isn't finished.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kingdom122 said:

I'm kind of glad about this, maybe it's just the series I've seen but I feel like shows that drag on tend to get bogged while trying to basically never end, leaving the watcher wanting more I don't see as along as you feel satisfied with the ending. 

Personal say that I'm a bigger fan of older shows, but I feel like that could be cause it's so much easier to know what is a gem not only with the time difference but with how much anime gets released now days it's easy to miss a show that could really click with you.

Its a good point that some of those old series just seem never to die take Pokemon for example that just needs to end. The games are great, but the series is gone on way to long. The other issue with these longer series is they do get bogged with filler content that sometimes can span entire arcs. I would be lying if I said I didn't like some of the extra story in Inuyasha, and Detective Conan. On the whole though I do agree agree with you. I just wish a lot of anime would finish rather then cut out before the manga ends.

22 hours ago, efaardvark said:

For me it is like starting a book in a series that isn't finished yet.  I don't really want to start on something that isn't finished.

This is a really good way of putting it! I've never thought of it like that before, but I totally relate to it

• 2 months later...

I'm a bit in the middle with this one. I like a lot of different anime from many different eras. 90s shows like Slayers, Cowboy Bebop, the first Zoids series, and Monster Rancher are some of my favorites of all time. Then shows like Azumanga, Gurren Lagann, FMA, Rahxephon, Haibane Renmei, Chobits, My-Otome, HSD: Kenichi, s-CRY-ed, and Angelic Layer of the 00s are also on that list. I don't recall watching any anime from earlier than the 90s outside of Studio Ghibli films, some of Dirty Pair, and Speed Racer. But I also found out that the original Cutey Honey was aired in the 70s, so I did watch that one too. And some of the newer spin offs.

@RepentantSky Your list is awesome, so I wanna chime in a response.

10. @leinwandname has a point really about both the target demographics and the life experiences of a large number of Mangaka. As a author, and as a tip to other authors, writing from experience is the most used tool/crutch in creative writing. It gets tricky writing from a view point that the author doesn't know or may not understand. So, it typically doesn't happen in most of the writing industries.

9. It's an unfortunate aspect of anything commercialized. The line "Sex sells" is like an industry standard in any sort of media production. However like @Beocat said, it's grossly skewed in favor of sexualizing women. Not that there isn't any cases where they sexualize men though. Just not as common to see. It would require a massive shift in the way people react to the oversexualization of character's in any type of media production to see it come to an end.

8. Do you mean how certain genres use the same tropes and character archetypes/stereotypes repetitively? I'm not sure exactly what you mean here.

7. I hate when they try to overlay one world on top of another and don't really try to blend the two in any cohesive way at all. It usually give me a headache trying to comprehend how anything functions in these awful mashup type settings, so I usually stop watching them like a couple episodes after the worlds are blended.

6. My own personal art style is me trying to find a blend between comic book styles and a more realistic anime/manga style. I find it hard to get into an anime that go for a massively disproportionate facial/body anatomy. It's honestly my biggest hangup with shows like Sailor Moon Crystal, or anything by CLAMP. I find it really difficult to get past the lack of proportions in the art style, so I kind usually give up.

5.I DESPISE harems. I find it UTTERLY RIDICULOUS for a half dozen people to fall in love with a single person. I also find that it's typically a completely bland Protagonist that this happens to. The fact that they say the protag's lack of personality is so that the audience can more easily put themselves in the MC's place just pisses me off even more. I see this as a lack of creativity on the author's part, or a typical male self-insert. HAREMS NEED TO DIE. PLEASE.

4. I have a personally involved perspective on this, being a member of the LGBTQIA community in two aspects. Yaoi anime is typically more Ecchi, Yuri is usually written by guys that have no clue(I used to be in this category) on the complexity of female emotions. Dramas do exist for these as well, but are also typically bland in someway or another as the cast/crew really don't understand what they're trying to depict in these scenarios. Or they do and they're not given the okay to make it more accurate. I am really sad to say this, but the probability of a Bi MC who is torn between being involved with a member of BOTH binary genders is extremely low. With the way society sees Bis and Aces and non-binaries, such a media production is not likely to make it past the pitch phase.

3. I agree with you here. I find it really hard to be interested in something when they don't film or animate what they're trying to convey.

2. Never been a fan of gore really. So I can't add anything on this.

1. This has more to do with who gets cast. Usually they try to bring in Seiyuu, in the case of the original, or VAs, in the case of dubs, who have proven themselves and live near to the studio doing the audio production. It's typically a budget concern, but there are cases where they want to use an actor's fame to bring in more audience. It really doesn't always have to deal with the lack of talented seiyuu/VAs, but more concern toward the budget. They also tend to not like taking risks on unknowns.

So, there's what I have to say on this matter.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Kaga Koko said:

I tend to watch both old/new series it just depends on the anime summary if it makes me interested to see it.

As they say verity is the spice of life. I am much the same way I will basically watch everything. I  just love anime.

28 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

As they say verity is the spice of life. I am much the same way I will basically watch everything. I  just love anime.

Plus i rather watch a anime where all of its ep is out than to wait a week.

Up till a couple years ago, my anime viewing was largely of older series because I didn't have an internet connection that could handle streaming and blind buying series on disc was too expensive. Currently it's not unusual for me to try to follow 10 - 12 series as they air, but as a result I have a rather sizable backlog of older series that I would still like to watch as well as some older titles that I've only watched the dub for and would like to check out the original version or rewatch just to see what I think of them now that I'm a bit more varied in what I've seen. Ideally I would like to strike a better balance between the new & the old.

2 hours ago, Kaga Koko said:

Plus i rather watch a anime where all of its ep is out than to wait a week.

I used to be that way,, and for the most part I am. Not just with anime either, but most tv series I prefer to bindge rather then wait. Waiting for shows sucks a lot, and I get impatient for the new episodes.

1 hour ago, ArchieKun said:

I used to be that way,, and for the most part I am. Not just with anime either, but most tv series I prefer to bindge rather then wait. Waiting for shows sucks a lot, and I get impatient for the new episodes.

Same its more fun when all of the ep is out.

1 minute ago, Kaga Koko said:

Same its more fun when all of the ep is out.

It sure is at least when the season is completed at least then there is a good amount to watch.

6 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

It sure is at least when the season is completed at least then there is a good amount to watch.

Though its sad when a anime doesn't have a new season .

4 minutes ago, Kaga Koko said:

Though its sad when a anime doesn't have a new season .

Most anime is a single season ranging from 12-26 episodes. Sadly the days of very long series are over for the most part. Though there is still a few.

10 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

Most anime is a single season ranging from 12-26 episodes. Sadly the days of very long series are over for the most part. Though there is still a few.

Some are even too short like 5-10 minutes .

20 minutes ago, Kaga Koko said:

Some are even too short like 5-10 minutes .

Yah those are shorts and anime has those too though its far more common in the west to see something like that. It was popular in anime around the same time as it was popular for western cartoons, but unlike western cartoons anime more or less grew out of it.

• Agree 1