Anime Commercials

Mazino

We live in a day of age where commercials have progressed to a whole new extent that we feel just overwhelmed by the sheer amount of influence, it has on our daily lives. Though this topic primarly sets his focus on the anime commercials, where the market share is increasing day by day.

Did you ever see an Anime commercial and asked yourself „what anime is this from?!“ or had the urge need to see this commercial turning into a real anime? What are your thoughts on Anime commercials in general? Do Anime commercials have an effect on people who live overseas?

I have been watching some anime commercials lately and was fond of the animations – though I couldn‘t really understand the actual intention of what the commercials were referring to at first. (without reading any background story as to why this commercial was made for)

Kyoto Animation: Ikitaku Naru Omise-hen

In terms of visual appeal, Kyoto Animation is definetely top notch, one, which only a few can compete with. That‘s why it‘s not suprising to see them on my list since they were, moreover responsible for the production of many well-known titles like Violet Evergarden , Hyouka and Free!.

I think this commercial resembles slightly to Flying Witch but I cannot really explain why I feel that way, however this short sci-fi commercial with a little tad of slice of life really caught my eye.

Taisei Kensetsu: Vietnam Noi Bai Kuukou

Comix Wave Films is a film studio who are the maker of Your Name & 5 Centimeters Per Second – I used to call them Ghibli Junior at some point xD.

Anyway, they‘re producing short movies and commercials from time to time which is incredible if you think about it, they put a handful of their manpower and knowledge into a 30 sec lengthy commercial video, which turns out to be more of a trailer to an upcoming movie rather than a commercial. This one was particularly produced under the supervision of Makoto Shinkai. I think it would be a great change of scene if this would turn into an anime. 

Edited by Muco
  • Like 1

I think that these type of commercials can do a lot more things vs something that needs to be captured through a camera with actors. I also think that Japan's commercials in general are over the top and really entertaining in comparison to western commercials. Whether it's due to how gorgeous an ad is or how weird it can get, I wouldn't mind seeing them over what we usually get over here in the West.

Much more memorable as well.

Here's one that I really enjoy and reminds me heavily of Devilman Crybaby (I have no clue about who animated and produced it. It's also just a tad different from your examples lol)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I know trailers fall under the category of self-promotion but this topic is nearly the opposite of anime commercials, that could ever hope becoming an anime. I posted some examples of how anime commercials look like and @Decimo posted one as well. I was also asking for your thoughts about anime commercials. do you approve them? Do you find them silly? Are they good practice to learn japanese? And more discussion material is written above, if you read the first lines of my posting.

12 hours ago, Decimo said:

I think that these type of commercials can do a lot more things vs something that needs to be captured through a camera with actors. I also think that Japan's commercials in general are over the top and really entertaining in comparison to western commercials. Whether it's due to how gorgeous an ad is or how weird it can get, I wouldn't mind seeing them over what we usually get over here in the West.

Much more memorable as well.

I agree on this completely. If you compare western commercials with anime commercials then you will eventually realize this very quick. I guess it has become an important income in Japan which would explain the amount of effort they put into their commercials. I doubt anime commercials will ever get to western countries, though I wouldn't mind seeing Western Studios doing commercials as well, as you said and with what I agree on, It has a greater effect than something that's captured through a camera. I don't know how memorable it can be at the end, it depends on many factors like content and how frequent you see it.

• Like 1

Yah admittedly it seemed like you were seeking for us to talk about promonational materials therefore I felt it acceptable from what I was reading.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. . In terms of what I think on the matter. I don't take one side or another. I think the commercials in Japan are presented entirely differently to western ones. As you mentioned. One thing I take from seeing both tpes through the years is Japanese ones typiclly aim to be more detailed about the product in question without the pushy fit in approch. In other words American companies strive to create a fan themselves with their products, and often create their own hype so to speak. In Japan the fans of said products, or murchandise really are left to create that hype on their own. Things are far more about ratings in the west wheres in Japan more take it as it is for what its worth.

12 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

Sorry for the misunderstanding. . In terms of what I think on the matter. I don't take one side or another. I think the commercials in Japan are presented entirely differently to western ones. As you mentioned. One thing I take from seeing both tpes through the years is Japanese ones typiclly aim to be more detailed about the product in question without the pushy fit in approch. In other words American companies strive to create a fan themselves with their products, and often create their own hype so to speak. In Japan the fans of said products, or murchandise really are left to create that hype on their own. Things are far more about ratings in the west wheres in Japan more take it as it is for what its worth.

Yeah, I think a big reason for that is how different our cultures in comparison. When you compare U.S commercials to European ones, they are not drastically different from one another. I also think it's that are values and intentions are different like you said. I should check out how other countries in Asia handle their commercials for comparison sometime. Interesting stuff!

3 minutes ago, Decimo said:

Yeah, I think a big reason for that is how different our cultures in comparison. When you compare U.S commercials to European ones, they are not drastically different from one another. I also think it's that are values and intentions are different like you said. I should check out how other countries in Asia handle their commercials for comparison sometime. Interesting stuff!

It really is interesting how we all view the same thing in different parts of the world. I do find it rather interesting myself. Like how it took a big push for the digital age to have anime truly accepted worldwide.

On 8/25/2018 at 10:39 AM, Muco said:

We live in a day of age where commercials have progressed to a whole new extent that we feel just overwhelmed by the sheer amount of influence, it has on our daily lives. Though this topic primarly sets his focus on the anime commercials, where the market share is increasing day by day.

Did you ever see an Anime commercial and asked yourself „what anime is this from?!“ or had the urge need to see this commercial turning into a real anime? What are your thoughts on Anime commercials in general? Do Anime commercials have an effect on people who live overseas?

I have been watching some anime commercials lately and was fond of the animations – though I couldn‘t really understand the actual intention of what the commercials were referring to at first. (without reading any background story as to why this commercial was made for)

Kyoto Animation: Ikitaku Naru Omise-hen

In terms of visual appeal, Kyoto Animation is definetely top notch, one, which only a few can compete with. That‘s why it‘s not suprising to see them on my list since they were, moreover responsible for the production of many well-known titles like Violet Evergarden , Hyouka and Free!.

I think this commercial resembles slightly to Flying Witch but I cannot really explain why I feel that way, however this short sci-fi commercial with a little tad of slice of life really caught my eye.

Taisei Kensetsu: Vietnam Noi Bai Kuukou

Comix Wave Films is a film studio who are the maker of Your Name & 5 Centimeters Per Second – I used to call them Ghibli Junior at some point xD.

Anyway, they‘re producing short movies and commercials from time to time which is incredible if you think about it, they put a handful of their manpower and knowledge into a 30 sec lengthy commercial video, which turns out to be more of a trailer to an upcoming movie rather than a commercial. This one was particularly produced under the supervision of Makoto Shinkai. I think it would be a great change of scene if this would turn into an anime. 

The Shinkai one is amazing!

• 7 months later...

Been lately watching a few anime commercials whom my friend showed me - apparently there seems to be more commercials from Kyoto Animation i've not seen yet.

This one in particular caught my eye, it's really fitting for the current season with all the flowers starting to bloom over again.

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

Just caught up on this thread. I love the idea of anime commercials. Of course, the roots from Japan making all the difference. Here it would be lacking the cultural aspect. But if someone were to outsource the commercials to Japan then market them to us here that would be cool... I wonder if that would take away jobs from the US (and other non Japanese countries)or create more by allowing for expanding territory in business (traveling to japan possibly) and even having new offices available to work on these types of commercials alongside Japanese staff. That could be a really great partnership. Then bringing it back to more US jobs by having dub translators. 

I didn’t really like the Nissin ramen commercial because it looked like a satanic sacrifice 🤣 gonna have to work a bit more on that if bringing it to the US. 

I did love the flower commercial it was filled with good values.

• Agree 1

This also reminds me of all the advertising fails of the past 🤣 Like when Pepsi launched a campaign in China with the slogan “Come Alive With Pepsi” and it was translated “Pepsi, bring your ancestors back from the dead”

• 2 weeks later...

I have only heard about one case where a man in the USA sued Redbull for "not giving him wings" as it's stated in their slogan (or a commercial, don't really remember). It sounds ridiculous at first, but apparently he was in the right and according to the judgment - Redbull had to pay him a compensation of around 10 Million Dollar. So it might end up being a failure, if anime commercials were to come to USA or EU as the laws are different from country to country. And it feels as if anime studios who do these commercials don't have a huge interest to expand out of Japan. As you mentioned - this would create workplace for non-japanese workers and probably be a good income for anime studios and maybe, just maybe the mangaka's and animators will be able to get a decent salary. I guess anime commercials are capable of adapting to any culture, sure the familiarity of it coming from japan would be completely gone but that is bound to happen anyway if you do commercials for regional companies with no connections to Japan whatsoever. 

Imagine you are watching an anime commercial where you see two teams (inspired by haikyuu) playing volleyball and after a short scene they rest on the bench and have a drink. (i will leave it to your imagination which drink they advertise :D )  Depending on the consumers age, it could have a huge impact on how they perceive the commercial. They might even turn into a 24/7 Otaku, who knows that right? :P 

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

• 1 month later...

I found this commercial on yt the other day and it's apparently advertising products associated with the company Lotte. (a multinational conglomerate) 

It's the first anime commercial so far that I know of which isn't published directly from an anime studio. (could've been made by an anime studio)

I haven't watched TV in years, commercials to me have become a thing of the past. Like VHS tapes, or cassette players.  To me watching TV is a thing of the past. The only thing that shows up for me now is pop up ads, which I can just block.  Or movie trailers. 

Edited by Serge heartless

• 5 months later...