Does Anime Make You Sad? If so, which and why?

anime4eva

I guess it depends on the anime, but does anime ever just make you really sad? If so, which ones and why (without giving away spoilers)

Something about anime, that gets me really attached. I feel like I've always been like that.  I can watch a regular show or movie and it can be sad, but I won't feel it like with an anime?  The anime, in particular, that is currently bothering me is Garden of Words, which I've seen before and told myself I would watch because of how hard it hits at home. But at the same time, I'm obsessed with that movie, it's so beautiful imo. 

I think on a series level it can make me sad yes. If I am attached to a certain character, and something happens to that character I get the feels for them forsure. On a industry level in terms of series production it really makes me sad, and sometimes angry when series get hevily localized. In the case of pokemon in later episodes turning rice balls into donuts, or sandwich.es. It is down right infuriating sometimes.

1 hour ago, Greeneyes said:

I have detached myself from feelings emotion is something one does not need

Dang though in some series I do this too especially if I am writing a fan fic on a anime with characters I have a particular distaste for.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, anime4eva said:

I guess it depends on the anime, but does anime ever just make you really sad? If so, which ones and why (without giving away spoilers)

Something about anime, that gets me really attached. I feel like I've always been like that.  I can watch a regular show or movie and it can be sad, but I won't feel it like with an anime?  The anime, in particular, that is currently bothering me is Garden of Words, which I've seen before and told myself I would watch because of how hard it hits at home. But at the same time, I'm obsessed with that movie, it's so beautiful imo. 

pretty much, i cry like a little school girl when i watch scene's from 90% of the anime's i watch, (or VN's i read/games i play) (i.e, endings, tearful moments, sad moments, etc),

an example would be, from a game called "pocket mirror", where (game spoiler boi) 

lisette is meets the protagonist; see's the difference in them, and cant understand the protagonist's happy-go-lucky/trusting/befriending traits, and in overall, wishes to kill the protagonist in an attempt to obtain what she does not have -- her emotions -- but this cant happend, for we both know emotions cant be transferred, especially on a psycho, she was also abused in her younger days, which is the representation of the stuff in the circus scene, and that made me a

:( man to see

and by god, did i cry allot >.>, i mean not only on her scene, but also (another spoiler mang)

harpae's overall story, by god, she was just serving MC to her best, and wanted what was best for MC, which she went a bit crazy for, but hey, its all good in my PoV, psycho yanderes are pretty neat, her death was not needed tho' ;_;

but yea, thats for game--- which isnt really being asked huh,

for anime -- the bestest example i can give where im sure everyone cried along with me, would be from clannad -- i dont think i need to tell you why, do i ?, and if i do need to tell you, go watch it/read the novel to understand why i cried/so many others weeped >.>

1 hour ago, Greeneyes said:

I have detached myself from feelings emotion is something one does not need

<are you sure you want to install unknown content to brain? (yes)

<installing emotions.pkg>

• Love it! (Daisuki) 2

11 minutes ago, XII360 said:

pretty much, i cry like a little school girl when i watch scene's from 90% of the anime's i watch, (or VN's i read/games i play) (i.e, endings, tearful moments, sad moments, etc),

an example would be, from a game called "pocket mirror", where (game spoiler boi) 

Reveal hidden contents

lisette is meets the protagonist; see's the difference in them, and cant understand the protagonist's happy-go-lucky/trusting/befriending traits, and in overall, wishes to kill the protagonist in an attempt to obtain what she does not have -- her emotions -- but this cant happend, for we both know emotions cant be transferred, especially on a psycho, she was also abused in her younger days, which is the representation of the stuff in the circus scene, and that made me a

:( man to see

and by god, did i cry allot >.>, i mean not only on her scene, but also (another spoiler mang)

Reveal hidden contents

harpae's overall story, by god, she was just serving MC to her best, and wanted what was best for MC, which she went a bit crazy for, but hey, its all good in my PoV, psycho yanderes are pretty neat, her death was not needed tho' ;_;

but yea, thats for game--- which isnt really being asked huh,

for anime -- the bestest example i can give where im sure everyone cried along with me, would be from clannad -- i dont think i need to tell you why, do i ?, and if i do need to tell you, go watch it/read the novel to understand why i cried/so many others weeped >.>

<are you sure you want to install unknown content to brain? (yes)

<installing emotions.pkg>

ATTENTION: Virus has been downloaded on your system

• Funny 1

Emotions can bring on the feelz yes. Though that doesn't necessarily mean I'll label a show that does so as a good show. Much like jump scares in the horror genre, there are lazy cheap shots to make you cry, and despite working, I can't help but feel as though they're devoid of meaning. "They killed off my favourite chararcter, but why? It just sort of happened." for example.

BUT when the real feelz hit, the real feelz hit, and I can entirely give the anime props for it.

• 4 months later...
On 1/22/2019 at 7:05 PM, YuiHappyHugs said:

Sometimes my eyes well with tears when I watch a particularly moe scene. K-On gets to me sometimes. It's just too sweet!

That is a sentiment that I certainly share. I am not at all afraid to admit I cry during a good emotional story fairly often even more so sometimes in the case of anime. if I am very invested.

On 8/26/2018 at 1:01 PM, anime4eva said:

does anime ever just make you really sad?

Sure.  Some stories are built on sad.  AnoHana for example, or Angel Beats, Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, or Clannad: After Story, to name but a few.  That's not to say every moment of those are sad, but individual episodes and/or certain scenes definitely.  The "graduation" episode (incl. end credits) in Angel Beats, "White Darkness" and "The End of the World" in Clannad: After Story, etc.  Lots of otherwise upbeat anime also have their sad moments.  When Pork Bowl goes off to be made into bacon in Silver Spoon for example, or the first episode of Kotoura-san.

I also feel sad sometimes when I get to the end of a really good series.  Also happens with a good book.

• 2 weeks later...

Every feeling is expressed when it comes to anime. And I am an emotional wreck who loves drama. And I am proud that even though I have watched anime for a long time, even though I am a self proclaimed veteran in this field, I still cry when I go back to some of the episodes of specific titles that I might have watched a long time ago. I have already watched it. I have already cried due to it. But there is nothing in this world that can stop me from crying again. It is the nostalgia, the joy, the sorrow that I need to Express in that moment itself. And that is what makes me cry while watching well written titles like Anohana, Erased, Love is like after the rain, etc. Being sad is just one part of it.

T_T

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...