Do you have IRL friends who watch anime?

anime4eva

I was able to get my closest friends (3 total, 1 who already watched anime) into watching anime or be open to it at the very least. It took most of high school, but by Senior year we would gather at each other's houses every week and watch shows together. It was pretty cool since two of them had no interest whatsoever in the beginning. They're not all big into it still, but it's still nice to be able watch shows together.

I'm sure if you look around and talk on threads you'll find peeps with similar tastes and likes since we all like anime here lol. Talking in the established clubs helps a lot from my experience. I think I saw a thread about a discord server or something, might wanna check that out.

Best thing to do to find friends in your local area that like anime, or anything else really is to check out some local cons. There are also event organizer type sites out there if you search on google I am sure you'll find a group that shares your interests.

3 hours ago, anime4eva said:

Thanks guys! I’m just really shy and don’t like the act of making new friends...if that makes any sense.im close with my current friends and one of them watches anime but he lives far away now 

Its all good I am happy to chat sometime if you want. :) As far as making, and maintaining friendships goes. Way I look at it is  friends are wherever you are you just gotta make them. I personally love meeting new people, but that isn't easy for everyone so I understand.

6 hours ago, anime4eva said:

Also, anyone wanna be friends? :)

"suzaku_abridged_sounds_going_noo.mp3" 

joking's aside, yea, i have one RL friend (incidentally, a classmate) that watches anime/reads novels, which is somehow, im buddy-buddy- with, compared to others, (probably couse he can understand what i say, more than my other classmates), we dont get together to watch anime though, but i bet if i ever did invite him he would agree to it, (though i dont really wanna either, so)

as for friends part, i-im semi confused, but ill post it on you're profile rather here <.>

2 friends who watch anime occasionally, mostly keeping up with the long running series and sometimes watching some hyped anime like One Punch Man, etc... 2 friends, or more like an aquaintances, who watches a lot of anime but I usually don't do stuff with them, so I wouldn't say that I have friends who watch anime as excessively as I do. I probably would know more anime fans IRL if I went to a con but I never went to one because... I don't see the point of going there alone... though, I think I could get the two friends to go with me, they're kinda up for anything, but I have the feeling that going to a con means spending money and I don't like that stuff >.>

Well, never met anyone in my life who was already watching anime. My best friend watches it though. She moved overseas and started watching it there. She never mentioned it in a letter, I never did either until probably almost college. She had moved back and I think I threw out the name of Escaflowne as a Christmas gift I had recieved and was super excited about. She told me about hers and I did the same and we had a new topic to chat about.

I have introduced anime to a few people but only succeeded in getting one interested in it. Hoping to ensnare my nieces and nephew someday though. She is slowly getting her new bestie into anime but it has been difficult. She doesn't like things my friend is into (maybe fringe things) so I made some suggestions based off her personality. Waiting to see if she tries any of them. I figure that girl is on the fringe of my interests and the fringe of my friends interest too (we are fringing on each other already) so if we get her into it, between the three of us we'd be extremely well rounded.

I'll be your friend @anime4eva. Just confirm you aren't a crazy stalker person and we're good ;)  Feel free to message me!

I have a couple of friends who watch anime and read manga irl. ^^ Aside from my best friend, I met most of my friends who watch anime in college where it was arguably easier to pick which crowd you wanted to be around. That and I think that people generally get along well with people that are similar to them or share certain interests. :)

@anime4eva Sure, I am always open to make friends or to just talk about anything! 

I wish my friends are not into anime they seen some I showed them but weren't to interested so sad...

721820604_sadcry.gif.815cf092ee5de079773bc62766a6deed.gif

Edited by Greeneyes

7 hours ago, Greeneyes said:

I wish my friends are not into anime they seen some I showed them but weren't to interested so sad...

721820604_sadcry.gif.815cf092ee5de079773bc62766a6deed.gif

It is sad when people do not see the beauty of anime for what it really is.

I do agree though unless you really look for event orginizers, or attend cons its hard to find a good group of anime friends locally.

• Agree 1

@alupacard Ah shucks, thanks so much! I'm trying to make an effort to be here more often. 

@Beocat I've introduced quite a few ppl to anime, but they never watch like I do, nor do we watch together. 

@xWickedNekox that sounds awesome! I never watched anime together with someone, and I would very much like to do that. 

@ArchieKun it really is a shame when ppl can't appreciate anime. Its literally like every other form of entertainment, just better :)

• Agree 1

On 8/28/2018 at 1:28 PM, anime4eva said:

@ArchieKun it really is a shame when ppl can't appreciate anime. Its literally like every other form of entertainment, just better :)

O know right it is such a artistic, and very active form of media with a huge following. Plus most the anime communities out there are full of very nice, and accepting people.

O know right it is such a artistic, and very active form of media with a huge following. Plus most the anime communities out there are full of very nice, and accepting people.

I think it might be due to stigmas tied to anime and its community. And if someone who has never watched an anime searches for it on google they are probably getting bombarded by pictures of either the big shonen anime, which, if they don't like these action driven series, might have an offputting effect, or some magical girl, or fan service anime - all of these could be daunting to someone who likes more "down to earth shows" and would probably enjoy anime like Monster, Cowboy Bebop, Psycho Pass. Just assuming though, everyone gets other results on google tailored to their previous searches... Getting into a media when the first things you see are shows you don't care about, is hard. Like trying to get into metal and all you listen to are the over-the-top aggresive songs while metal has considerably 'calmer' songs - I hope this makes sense :P

59 minutes ago, leinwandname said:

I think it might be due to stigmas tied to anime and its community. And if someone who has never watched an anime searches for it on google they are probably getting bombarded by pictures of either the big shonen anime, which, if they don't like these action driven series, might have an offputting effect, or some magical girl, or fan service anime - all of these could be daunting to someone who likes more "down to earth shows" and would probably enjoy anime like Monster, Cowboy Bebop, Psycho Pass. Just assuming though, everyone gets other results on google tailored to their previous searches... Getting into a media when the first things you see are shows you don't care about, is hard. Like trying to get into metal and all you listen to are the over-the-top aggresive songs while metal has considerably 'calmer' songs - I hope this makes sense :P

I would agree with this. Even more so with the case of someone being into anime in the 90s. or early 2000s when we really did not fit in.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, I never had a person I could call a friend nor have I found a Friend with a similar interest to me who isn't judging and hard to trust. The life of a weeb is an isolated and lonely one more so nowadays than in the past it's a truly sad pathetic world we live in full of hate and whatnot. Anyway, I hope that answers your question and to answer your friend invitation SURE! But we'll need to see how things go as only time is the real decider with these things.

33 minutes ago, Armada said:

Nope, I never had a person I could call a friend nor have I found a Friend with a similar interest to me who isn't judging and hard to trust. The life of a weeb is an isolated and lonely one more so nowadays than in the past it's a truly sad pathetic world we live in full of hate and whatnot.

damn, your pretty dark-thinking on things >.>

cant blame you tho' since i kind of saw the world like that too, but everything changed, when i started meditating,

#join-the-xii360-religion-or-something

6 hours ago, Armada said:

Nope, I never had a person I could call a friend nor have I found a Friend with a similar interest to me who isn't judging and hard to trust. The life of a weeb is an isolated and lonely one more so nowadays than in the past it's a truly sad pathetic world we live in full of hate and whatnot. Anyway, I hope that answers your question and to answer your friend invitation SURE! But we'll need to see how things go as only time is the real decider with these things.

Thats rough, but understandable as anime is far more understood yes, but it is still looked down upon by a lot of people. I hope your able to have a good time here, and we hope you'll stay around. One thing that helps me in that situation is to remember friends are wherever you are you just gotta make them. If someone is not willing to see you for you then they are not ever going to be a real friend.

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, I do have friends and acquaintances who watch anime.  Way more than I do or will. Check my MAL regarding that. lol  I don't watch as many shows as I used to.  Not sure why I seem to lose my interest easier as the years go by.  The only anime I still kinda keep up with is Detective Conan, but only the movies because I grew bored of the actual anime series nearly 10 years ago.  I still prefer manga to anime in general, though.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm amazed to say that because of the fact that I went to an art school, most of the "friends" I have adore anime and animated stuff. Most of them were in the school for animation and drew mostly an anime inspired style. I can't seem to keep friends from outside this community, so I have that going for me I suppose. Not like I have tons of friends though. Our biggest thing is we all get together to do things like play Magic or go to conventions. One of them frequently has a booth at Denver Comic Con just about every year.

I, myself, use volunteering to be able to go to that same con. I haven't been to Nan Desu Kan in like 9 years though. I miss the atmosphere there. So many amazing Cosplayers.

• Like 1