Do you have IRL friends who watch anime?

anime4eva

12 hours ago, KeilynLocke said:

I'm amazed to say that because of the fact that I went to an art school, most of the "friends" I have adore anime and animated stuff. Most of them were in the school for animation and drew mostly an anime inspired style. I can't seem to keep friends from outside this community, so I have that going for me I suppose. Not like I have tons of friends though. Our biggest thing is we all get together to do things like play Magic or go to conventions. One of them frequently has a booth at Denver Comic Con just about every year.

I, myself, use volunteering to be able to go to that same con. I haven't been to Nan Desu Kan in like 9 years though. I miss the atmosphere there. So many amazing Cosplayers.

Thats pretty awesome I mean most of my anime friends aka friends that share of love of anime come from cons, and forums like this one. I have like 2 that are not into anime, but they are still more, or less geeks. So it works as we can talk scfy, and super hero stuff. :)

Out of the few friends I have, only one is into anime, and even then, we don't talk about it that much. We'll usually just talk about some high points in a show, and then the subject gets changed to something else, mainly gossiping about work, lol, we work at the same company. However, if San Japan hadn't snuck up on us this year, he said he would've been down to go. 

I do not really have any friends I can talk about anime with. I know one or two people that watch anime, but I do not know their interests too well.

Plus, I usually watch anime alone because it is easier to immerse myself in. It is much more doable than a book that is text-heavy, but there is still some challenge in it.

• Optimistic 1

23 minutes ago, brycec said:

I do not really have any friends I can talk about anime with. I know one or two people that watch anime, but I do not know their interests too well.

Plus, I usually watch anime alone because it is easier to immerse myself in. It is much more doable than a book that is text-heavy, but there is still some challenge in it.

I won't disagree that anime at least subbed anime is easier watched alone since there always seems to be the one person in the group that asks why we are using subs. Not to mention it is easier to focus on the series when its just one person.

Does real life friends found in the internet counts? Cause I actually met up wwith some online friends a couple of days back and we sometimes hang out once in a while since we just found out that we live in the same city which was totally mind blowing for me. Though, I already had some real life friends (those I didn't meet online) who were interested in anime. :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RyePotatoes said:

Does real life friends found in the internet counts? Cause I actually met up wwith some online friends a couple of days back and we sometimes hang out once in a while since we just found out that we live in the same city which was totally mind blowing for me. Though, I already had some real life friends (those I didn't meet online) who were interested in anime. :) 

I would say it dose count as where you met someone dose not really matter rather what matters is your current relationship whatever that may be.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RyePotatoes said:

Survey says....................Yes, we'll allow it. Regardless of how you met, if you're physically hanging out with them, they count.

• Funny 1

I have a handful of friends that will watch anime with me if i ask them to and i know about 5 people that watch anime regularly but i wouldn't say we are friends. My mom's side of the family is really into anime though, I've been watching for as long as i can remember.

Anime isn't extremely popular in my area but it's not completely unknown either. Sort of in the middle. It isn't too hard to find people into it and I know people who also watch it. Of course, how into it they are varies.

On 11/2/2018 at 10:22 AM, Twelve said:

I actually got into watching anime because of my friend. I'm really happy now! I am thankful for my friend for showing me it

I kind of wish that would work out for me. I try to show anime to people I know that aren't already into it and it really never pans out.

14 hours ago, baejoohyun said:

Why would it be a bad thing..? 

Well, you didn't elaborate on the answer, so the simple response can be construed in a multitude of ways. So I was asking for a little bit of clarification. Just wanted to know if you were happy that you had people you called friends in real life that shared an interest in one or more of your hobbies.

Sorry if it seems like I'm giving you the third degree or anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KeilynLocke said:

Well, you didn't elaborate on the answer, so the simple response can be construed in a multitude of ways. So I was asking for a little bit of clarification. Just wanted to know if you were happy that you had people you called friends in real life that shared an interest in one or more of your hobbies.

Sorry if it seems like I'm giving you the third degree or anything.

Nah it's a good thing. You can talk/discuss with them about animes and recommend to each other. 

On 8/30/2018 at 5:53 AM, ArchieKun said:

I would agree with this. Even more so with the case of someone being into anime in the 90s. or early 2000s when we really did not fit in.

I was reading through the posts of this topic and though to respond to this one. I'm a child of the early 90s and can tell you how small and scattered the population of anime goers were. It's a huge difference from back then vs. now and it is pretty amazing. A huge population of anime/manga/etc. fans now exist. It used to be hard to watch subbed anime and it was rare to find channels that even had an anime block. 

Now, I do have an anime night where we've been watching MHA before the season concluded and Attack On Titan. It doesn't happen every so often, but when it does, it's nice. 

14 minutes ago, Persona said:

I was reading through the posts of this topic and though to respond to this one. I'm a child of the early 90s and can tell you how small and scattered the population of anime goers were. It's a huge difference from back then vs. now and it is pretty amazing. A huge population of anime/manga/etc. fans now exist. It used to be hard to watch subbed anime and it was rare to find channels that even had an anime block. 

Now, I do have an anime night where we've been watching MHA before the season concluded and Attack On Titan. It doesn't happen every so often, but when it does, it's nice. 

I think anime has a lot more going for it now even among the non anime fans to though. Back then it was seen as almost odd, or offensive to western culture. Now even among those who do not care for it it is mostly seen as just another form of cartoon which anime and cartoons are distinctly different, but thats something for another day. The internet was a big help so was the increased popularity of anime conventions in most major cities. I'll tell you I have been going to cons for years now, and it has only been increasing in people attending them.

That has only severed to boost anime, and gaming popularity. This iss made even more true since cons are not to tough to get to. I mean they do cost a penny, but there is lots of ways to get in. So I personally think that has been one of the biggest reasons for anime/manga spreading around the world so fast in the 2000s. Internet access, and cons basically sealed the deal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

I think anime has a lot more going for it now even among the non anime fans to though. Back then it was seen as almost odd, or offensive to western culture. Now even among those who do not care for it it is mostly seen as just another form of cartoon which anime and cartoons are distinctly different, but thats something for another day. The internet was a big help so was the increased popularity of anime conventions in most major cities. I'll tell you I have been going to cons for years now, and it has only been increasing in people attending them.

Trust me, I recall my good ole' days where my bestie and I went to the library to go to Gundam Wing fan page for anime fan pics and thoughts. The social media aspect played a huge role in the fan-base expansion. But the channels that helped (America-wise) where International  Channel (later on renamed to Asia-something), Cartoon Network/Adult Swim. The animes that everyone seemed to know the most when asked which anime got them into watching more are: DB/DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, One Piece and I'm sure others. But then we'll just be having a good list and some debates would burst open. I'm just content knowing that there are a lot more wonderful people who seem more open and can share relatable interest and hobbies. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Persona said:

Trust me, I recall my good ole' days where my bestie and I went to the library to go to Gundam Wing fan page for anime fan pics and thoughts. The social media aspect played a huge role in the fan-base expansion. But the channels that helped (America-wise) where International  Channel (later on renamed to Asia-something), Cartoon Network/Adult Swim. The animes that everyone seemed to know the most when asked which anime got them into watching more are: DB/DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, One Piece and I'm sure others. But then we'll just be having a good list and some debates would burst open. I'm just content knowing that there are a lot more wonderful people who seem more open and can share relatable interest and hobbies. 

That is a very solid point you make to be sure. I did not even consider that probably because I have not had nor do I use live tv in over 12 years. Most of my media digest including anime comes from the internet. Though as you mentioned in the early 2000s thats when a lot of cable providers particularly the ones in America were offering a wide international selection where anime kept pooing up. Even though this is largely no longer the case it still helped push the community into the future,

I am also going to move this topic to anime section. I think it will find a better home there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Persona said:

I was born in the mind 80's so the 90's is my nostalgia era. I honestly didn't realize that several of the Fox Kids shows and the ABC Family run in the early 2000's were edited versions of anime. I used to get up early on Saturdays for the original Digimon and Beyblade. I only figured out they were anime after I reached my mid 20s.

I really started getting into anime in 2004. I was graduating high school and there was ONE other person who knew what the term anime meant in my grad year. I finally found others later that year when I moved onto college, but it was still hit and miss in a program for Game Design in the same school as other art students. I'd say 1 in 5 back then were into anime. I made good friends because of anime and AMVs and one of my best art tutors. In my second go around in a Game Art and Design course from 2012 to 2016, 90% of the other students liked multiple anime. Times have really changed. I feel super old now.

@KeilynLocke, very much so about not knowing it was anime when I was a growing up. I use to watch Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon. Sometimes during middle school I met a friend who liked Sailor Moon and she use to draw on too of that. Later on became one of my best friends. She badically educated me on what anime was and the term otaku.  Also,  helped expand my love for anime via drawing and fanfiction writing. I  grew up with anime syfy. When they showed a bit older content animes. Like King of North Star, Express Train 999...I think. Catpain Harlock you kmow? Also Ronin Warriors, Saint Saya, Robotech. Mind you some of these I’ve rewatched since i was a bit young to grasp much. But yeah, definitely hard to come across a person who knew what anime was and harder to find anime clubs. 

Edited by Persona
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

• 5 weeks later...