My First Place

EnviousEnvy

So I finally have been able to save up for a place and I get to move into the place in about 3 weeks or so. I'm so excited yet scared to death and I still have a bunch of crap to buy from a microwave to a broom and mop. Crap I never even thought of, to be honest (lol). 

Anyway, any tips or advice from fellow renters/home owners? (I'm renting btw)

Congrats on you getting your own place. First thing to do is just get all the billing in order. Sort out what you need to pay, and know what your landlord pays then work a budget that way. As far as things you need certainly get renders if you are renting its cheep, and long as your with a good company there isn't to much in the way to worry if something happens outside the norm. Just be sure you understand your insurance contract, and have someone review it with you just to be sure if you want.

Other then that hope you enjoy, and have fun setting up your new place.

• Like 1

Avoid buying a lot of furniture.  You will likely move again in the near future (3-4 years, most apartments tend to increase rent on an annual basis banking on the fact that moving is costly and might act as a deterrant) and the more furniture the more trouble it is to move.  Get a steam mop or bucketless mopping system.  Believe me, lugging around a bucket full of water is miserable. 

Invest in ear plugs.  One apartment I stayed at one neighbor would play his tv loud every weekend.  I never got any sleep.  The other one would play Super Mario Bros on the NES once a week (always at 2am or so.  I'd wake up hearing the music and listen to him playing through the levels until he ran out of lives and quit for the night.  Once a month like clockwork.  I actually didn't mind being woken up by him.).  Get some extra broom handles or boards you can saw off to various lengths and reinforce your windows and doors so that they cannot be forced open (your neighbors will know when you are and are not home.  Don't make it easy for them.). 

Get Renter's Insurance.  If your neighbor gets high and sets the apartment complex on fire and all your anime and clothes go down in flames...well with insurance and a good inventory stored on youtube (I like to youtube my game, anime, jewelry, and other expense to replace items for insurance purposes (on a private video) once a year in case the house burns down) you can monetarily recover from it. 

Don't forget to get your plunger for your toilet.  Get the industrial plunger (the one with the ball plunger, not the suction cup one). It'll cost you more money but it'll work better too. You don't want to have to run out and buy it after you've stopped it up.  Use command strips and hooks for all your wall-hanging needs.  Save that deposit money ;)

Make certain the rental folks give you the emergency phone number list and put it on your fridge.  Every single solitary time it snowed my heater would go out, and always on a Friday night. If you are female, I also recommend getting some pictures of a male cousin or friend to put up in your apartment (along with some men's worn out work boots) to imply to anyone who might be there to perform repairs that you do not live alone.  A simple deterrent for creeps.

I hope you enjoy your new home and save up some money :)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Beocat said:

Avoid buying a lot of furniture.  You will likely move again in the near future (3-4 years, most apartments tend to increase rent on an annual basis banking on the fact that moving is costly and might act as a deterrant) and the more furniture the more trouble it is to move.  Get a steam mop or bucketless mopping system.  Believe me, lugging around a bucket full of water is miserable. 

Invest in ear plugs.  One apartment I stayed at one neighbor would play his tv loud every weekend.  I never got any sleep.  The other one would play Super Mario Bros on the NES once a week (always at 2am or so.  I'd wake up hearing the music and listen to him playing through the levels until he ran out of lives and quit for the night.  Once a month like clockwork.  I actually didn't mind being woken up by him.).  Get some extra broom handles or boards you can saw off to various lengths and reinforce your windows and doors so that they cannot be forced open (your neighbors will know when you are and are not home.  Don't make it easy for them.). 

Get Renter's Insurance.  If your neighbor gets high and sets the apartment complex on fire and all your anime and clothes go down in flames...well with insurance and a good inventory stored on youtube (I like to youtube my game, anime, jewelry, and other expense to replace items for insurance purposes (on a private video) once a year in case the house burns down) you can monetarily recover from it. 

Don't forget to get your plunger for your toilet.  Get the industrial plunger (the one with the ball plunger, not the suction cup one). It'll cost you more money but it'll work better too. You don't want to have to run out and buy it after you've stopped it up.  Use command strips and hooks for all your wall-hanging needs.  Save that deposit money ;)

Make certain the rental folks give you the emergency phone number list and put it on your fridge.  Every single solitary time it snowed my heater would go out, and always on a Friday night. If you are female, I also recommend getting some pictures of a male cousin or friend to put up in your apartment (along with some men's worn out work boots) to imply to anyone who might be there to perform repairs that you do not live alone.  A simple deterrent for creeps.

I hope you enjoy your new home and save up some money :)

Thanks! I'm actually renting a trailer in a trailer court. The guy who does repairs (plumbing, roofing & electrical) is my friend and lives next door so if I have any problems I'll just go to him. Right now the place is being completely redone. (New wiring, new floors, walls, new stove and fridge, etc). With my shifted knee caps (born with dislocated knees and they are deformed too) I have difficulties with climbing stairs so one floor places are better suited for me.

For tips, every one had really good tips and I really don't have anything more to add. Just congratulations on the new place!!! 

But @Beocat, I love this tip. Amazing and really really important!! :D 

21 hours ago, Beocat said:

Don't forget to get your plunger for your toilet. 

• Agree 1