Recommendations

Animesta_MidnightLove

Question

13 answers to this question

Kaiji is a great series about a guy who gets caught up in a yakuza gambling scheme, and is forced to play various games for other's amusement or become a slave, or even die. There are two seasons, and a currently airing spin-off with one of the yakuza men as the protagonist.

Selector Infected WIXOSS and it's sequel, Selector Spread WIXOSS are card game anime, but you don't watch it for the card game. You watch it because everyone is a god damn psychopath. Really good mysteries and psychological warfare. We actually consider it better than Madoka Magica. There is more to the WIXOSS franchise, but don't watch anything other than those two seasons. The rest of them are really bad.

Noein: To Your Other Self is about time travellers coming from the future to try and find an artefact that will prevent a trans-dimensional war, and the destruction of the world. That artefact ends up being inside a girl, who must be sacrificed for it to be used.

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

11 minutes ago, leinwandname said:

Baccano! Though its probably more mystery, its  suspenseful, I think. And Paranoia Agent, definitely this one, by the great Satoshi Kon.

I considered Baccano! too. I think it is more Horror/Comedy though. It has a lot to offer and somehow does it well in such a small timeframe.

Guess PsychoPASS would be s good pick too.

• Like 1

I'd say Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin counts as a thriller for the most part. I binged it within a day or two if I recall correctly. It's not for the faint of heart though, just a warning.

• Like 1

Edit: Man I hate spoiler tags, I always mess them up. Uh, just kinda, open every spoiler, they're kinda inside of one another.

Mardock Scramble is a fantastic psychological thriller, and will absolutely have you on the edge of your seat for most of its runtime. Is a movie trilogy, so make sure you have about an hour and a half to spare before you hop into it. Also mentioning, the art is great, and the soundtrack is quite impressive. Warning ahead of time, quite a bit of nudity and gore, so if you have a weak stomach uh, prepare, I guess.

Shiki is of the horror genre, and does the whole mystery/thriller/psychological thing quite well. If possible I recommend against reading the genre tags as it spoils a bit of a mystery for the first 3rd of the show. Not a hard mystery to figure out, nor will it kill the show if you do see, but still. Has some genuinely scary moments, and will make you question morality and stuff along those lines.

I'll second Noein: To Your Other Self, as twig mentioned. Great sci-fi series, though don't watch it for it to be factually correct about its science, it is rather guilty of technobabble. This isn't a big issue though, since as I said, the technical side isn't a big focus. Deals with time travel and overall is just a great story, with a solid cast of characters. The art is... interesting. It almost looks terrible, but it's just an art style. They clearly prove that they can make the show look amazing when they need to, and they do indeed do that, as shown here. And don't even get me started on the glorious soundtrack it has, as you can hear in that video as well.

Shinsekai Yori is an anime that actually hits every tag you mentioned. Brilliant anime with great visuals and soundtrack all around. It'll make you laugh, it'll make you cry, it'll probably fuck you up a little bit here and there, and at the end of the day you'll have learned a few morals, but overall, the show is one of my personal 10/10s, which I don't give out often, Have a trailer:

If you'd like more, or have further questions about any of these, do let me know.

Edited by awesomedude20
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

12 hours ago, the_twig said:

Kaiji is a great series about a guy who gets caught up in a yakuza gambling scheme, and is forced to play various games for other's amusement or become a slave, or even die. There are two seasons, and a currently airing spin-off with one of the yakuza men as the protagonist.

Selector Infected WIXOSS and it's sequel, Selector Spread WIXOSS are card game anime, but you don't watch it for the card game. You watch it because everyone is a god damn psychopath. Really good mysteries and psychological warfare. We actually consider it better than Madoka Magica. There is more to the WIXOSS franchise, but don't watch anything other than those two seasons. The rest of them are really bad.

Noein: To Your Other Self is about time travellers coming from the future to try and find an artefact that will prevent a trans-dimensional war, and the destruction of the world. That artefact ends up being inside a girl, who must be sacrificed for it to be used.

Slector infected and its second season sounds interesting.. love it when its all about those psychological shit XD . Thanks :)

59 minutes ago, awesomedude20 said:

Edit: Man I hate spoiler tags, I always mess them up. Uh, just kinda, open every spoiler, they're kinda inside of one another.

Mardock Scramble is a fantastic psychological thriller, and will absolutely have you on the edge of your seat for most of its runtime. Is a movie trilogy, so make sure you have about an hour and a half to spare before you hop into it. Also mentioning, the art is great, and the soundtrack is quite impressive. Warning ahead of time, quite a bit of nudity and gore, so if you have a weak stomach uh, prepare, I guess.

Hide contents

Shiki is of the horror genre, and does the whole mystery/thriller/psychological thing quite well. If possible I recommend against reading the genre tags as it spoils a bit of a mystery for the first 3rd of the show. Not a hard mystery to figure out, nor will it kill the show if you do see, but still. Has some genuinely scary moments, and will make you question morality and stuff along those lines.

I'll second Noein: To Your Other Self, as twig mentioned. Great sci-fi series, though don't watch it for it to be factually correct about its science, it is rather guilty of technobabble. This isn't a big issue though, since as I said, the technical side isn't a big focus. Deals with time travel and overall is just a great story, with a solid cast of characters. The art is... interesting. It almost looks terrible, but it's just an art style. They clearly prove that they can make the show look amazing when they need to, and they do indeed do that, as shown here. And don't even get me started on the glorious soundtrack it has, as you can hear in that video as well.

Shinsekai Yori is an anime that actually hits every tag you mentioned. Brilliant anime with great visuals and soundtrack all around. It'll make you laugh, it'll make you cry, it'll probably fuck you up a little bit here and there, and at the end of the day you'll have learned a few morals, but overall, the show is one of my personal 10/10s, which I don't give out often, Have a trailer:

Hide contents

If you'd like more, or have further questions about any of these, do let me know.

I dont know how to thank you..all your recommendations seem to have hit every genre I mentioned and I guess I will try out Mardock Scramble first since its a psychological thriller.. and later on Shiki since..its of the horror genre :P

And yes thanks for the trailer..it helped :)

I will be sure to let you know if I have to know something furthur ✌✌

6 hours ago, Decimo said:

I'd say Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin counts as a thriller for the most part. I binged it within a day or two if I recall correctly. It's not for the faint of heart though, just a warning.

Since I dont have a..how to say.. 'faint heart' I will definitely watch it XD XD. 

:P

Will binge watch it too cuz sometimes its hard to stop and put down something interesting :P

10 hours ago, leinwandname said:

Baccano! Though its probably more mystery, its  suspenseful, I think. And Paranoia Agent, definitely this one, by the great Satoshi Kon.

Heard about Paranoia Agent . Just wasn't sure if I should watch it or not. Now definitely I will thanks ;)

11 hours ago, Beocat said:

Another does an excellent job at Thriller/Suspense.  Future Diary does too.

Which one do you think is better because I have heard about both of them but cant decide which one should I watch first lol :P

• Like 1
  • Friendly 1

12 hours ago, Beocat said:

I considered Baccano! too. I think it is more Horror/Comedy though. It has a lot to offer and somehow does it well in such a small timeframe. 

Though I think it has also some good thriller and suspence moments - and of course comedy :P

I'd also recommend Erased, though it has its problems and opinions on it are divided, I like to suggest it. Oh, and Case Closed, though not all episodes can be considered thrillers.

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

6 hours ago, leinwandname said:

Though I think it has also some good thriller and suspence moments - and of course comedy :P

I'd also recommend Erased, though it has its problems and opinions on it are divided, I like to suggest it. Oh, and Case Closed, though not all episodes can be considered thrillers.

I have watched Erased and liked it.. but haven't watched Case Closed.. :)