Role Playing Games!

Geano

So I want to know how many of us are into RP, or Role Playing games in general. I have been into rp since I could write I love writing stories out. Working on characters is another big strength of mine. Play by post RP has been my go to for example starting a thread on a forum like this one. Then everyone has their own character they in turn control. Sometimes they have more then one. The GM, or Game Master along with his/her chosen mods then write the foundation of the plot called a modplot, or main plot. The other players then work their characters as well as their own story eliments into the overarching story.

Another way to do this is table top gaming. This of course is before the internet, but it is still very popular all tthe same. So what do you guys think. Do you rp, and if not would you like to know more about it. Lets all talk about it here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

So I want to know how many of us are into RP, or Role Playing games in general. I have been into rp since I could write I love writing stories out. Working on characters is another big strength of mine. Play by post RP has been my go to for example starting a thread on a forum like this one. Then everyone has their own character they in turn control. Sometimes they have more then one. The GM, or Game Master along with his/her chosen mods then write the foundation of the plot called a modplot, or main plot. The other players then work their characters as well as their own story eliments into the overarching story.

Another way to do this is table top gaming. This of course is before the internet, but it is still very popular all tthe same. So what do you guys think. Do you rp, and if not would you like to know more about it. Lets all talk about it here.

i used to rp in my byond days, on a game called Mitadake High, alas its dead, and wasnt exactly thread/forum based,

now a days i have a hard time on Rp'ing, as i sometimes have wierd feels when i type things in Rp mode (which many refer to as #cringe)

but yea, im up for rp, assuming i dont cringe myself to death

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

9 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

RP is fun the only downside is most pc games are expensive or have a big flaw and irl u need a solid amount of ppl at 1 place

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, XII360 said:

i used to rp in my byond days, on a game called Mitadake High, alas its dead, and wasnt exactly thread/forum based,

now a days i have a hard time on Rp'ing, as i sometimes have wierd feels when i type things in Rp mode (which many refer to as #cringe)

but yea, im up for rp, assuming i dont cringe myself to death

Oh I know one must beware the cringe effect. It has happened to me a few times, but its rare in my case.

I was thinking I would start one here if we could get enough players at least four would be ideal. Though 1x1s can be fun too.

8 minutes ago, Estatia said:

RP is fun the only downside is most pc games are expensive or have a big flaw and irl u need a solid amount of ppl at 1 place

I was refering more to non pc gaming type of rp. Moore of the written form, but there are some games that a lot of people use to rp with like WoW, OverWatch, and Minecroaft surprisingly. I guess Minecraft is no surprise since that game is literally based on your creative limits as a individual.

6 minutes ago, Greeneyes said:

RP is awesome

You know it. I love writing with other. ^^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArchieKun said:

Oh I know one must beware the cringe effect. It has happened to me a few times, but its rare in my case.

I was thinking I would start one here if we could get enough players at least four would be ideal. Though 1x1s can be fun too.

1x1's feels a bit sad for a huge community >.> ,

But if you ever make one i wont mind joining  assuming i dont cringelord myself

1 minute ago, XII360 said:

1x1's feels a bit sad for a huge community >.> ,

But if you ever make one i wont mind joining  assuming i dont cringelord myself

Ya 1x1 would be sad, but this isn't that large of a community just yet. It is established, but not getting like 1,000 posts a dasy or anything. Though I am sure it will. Yah I'd like 4-6 players, and at least one other person to help with the mod plot.

4 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

Ya 1x1 would be sad, but this isn't that large of a community just yet. It is established, but not getting like 1,000 posts a dasy or anything. Though I am sure it will. Yah I'd like 4-6 players, and at least one other person to help with the mod plot.

True -- but i find this active community pretty large (atleast, not comparing to years back communities)

I have to wonder though, whats the main plot gonna be on the rp ?!, or make it as we go ? (Generally, i think as i said, i never joined a thread-like rp soooo, me has little knowledge stat in this)

1 minute ago, XII360 said:

True -- but i find this active community pretty large (atleast, not comparing to years back communities)

I have to wonder though, whats the main plot gonna be on the rp ?!, or make it as we go ? (Generally, i think as i said, i never joined a thread-like rp soooo, me has little knowledge stat in this)

I prefer a lose overarching plot where the story is is set in terms of the world we are in, and maybe a few things like events to keep in mind, but allowing each player to really drive their own characters so long as we do not have to many conflicts.

I love RP, though I've only experience with pen and paper (for non-PC/console RPG). With a group of good people and a good GM, its so much fun to either have dead to ground serious characters and RP them, or create goofy and stupid characters and derp through a meticulously created world, :P. (I just love large and detailed worlds just as I like creating them in my head and sometimes writing them down just so they can catch dust in some folder of my PC, lol) But as long as everyone role-plays their char, either a serious one of a goofy one, its just fun experience - I think I had my best gaming experiences with a couple of friends, sheets of paper, dices and pens.

I've seen RP threads on some forums I'm on but I never tried it out ... for some reason I can't explain >.>... but always wanted to!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

I prefer a lose overarching plot where the story is is set in terms of the world we are in, and maybe a few things like events to keep in mind, but allowing each player to really drive their own characters so long as we do not have to many conflicts.

one thing to keep in mind tho;

Godly powers where mc can never die is b to the s~

45 minutes ago, leinwandname said:

I love RP, though I've only experience with pen and paper (for non-PC/console RPG). With a group of good people and a good GM, its so much fun to either have dead to ground serious characters and RP them, or create goofy and stupid characters and derp through a meticulously created world, :P. (I just love large and detailed worlds just as I like creating them in my head and sometimes writing them down just so they can catch dust in some folder of my PC, lol) But as long as everyone role-plays their char, either a serious one of a goofy one, its just fun experience - I think I had my best gaming experiences with a couple of friends, sheets of paper, dices and pens.

I've seen RP threads on some forums I'm on but I never tried it out ... for some reason I can't explain >.>... but always wanted to!

Ya its fun a lot of fun really. I tend to be more of serious story driven rp person, but funny silly ones like dressing rooms can be good too.

23 minutes ago, XII360 said:

one thing to keep in mind tho;

Godly powers where mc can never die is b to the s~

Yes it is never good to have any character in a story like that creates problems with having a mary su, or gary stu character which is never fun.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

I sure do Role Play a lot in many MMORPGs, and I've loved it since I started 5 years ago. I think it's a wonderful way to use and develop creativity and imagination.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Roxeg said:

I sure do Role Play a lot in many MMORPGs, and I've loved it since I started 5 years ago. I think it's a wonderful way to use and develop creativity and imagination.

You know it is. What MMOs have you RPed in. I did in WoW a few times way back when as well as Ruinscape.

1 hour ago, ArchieKun said:

You know it is. What MMOs have you RPed in. I did in WoW a few times way back when as well as Ruinscape.

I started in Star Wars TOR, I was introdued to it there (the first time was funny since I had no idea what they were talking about), but after that I've also done it on LOTRO, tabletop RPGs, and other custom ones.

We've played a decent amount of D&D. RPGs are fun. We have played a play by post type RPG as well before, but we found that it was incredibly hard to dictate events. Especially in something like a combat, you could basically just say "I hide behind the rock and shoot my bow.", and then wait for the GM to respond, before doing the exact same thing again. If you did anything else, you ended up stepping on the toes of the GM and ended up running encounters for yourself.

4 hours ago, Roxeg said:

I started in Star Wars TOR, I was introdued to it there (the first time was funny since I had no idea what they were talking about), but after that I've also done it on LOTRO, tabletop RPGs, and other custom ones.

Nice I bet that got pretty interesting.

1 hour ago, the_twig said:

We've played a decent amount of D&D. RPGs are fun. We have played a play by post type RPG as well before, but we found that it was incredibly hard to dictate events. Especially in something like a combat, you could basically just say "I hide behind the rock and shoot my bow.", and then wait for the GM to respond, before doing the exact same thing again. If you did anything else, you ended up stepping on the toes of the GM and ended up running encounters for yourself.

Ya play by post is more of a art form. It takes a good writer to truly be good at it. Though often there are rules in place like no killing characters off without mod, or the players permission. It can be complicated. There is often a OCC thread for game planning, and discussion. I like it, but its not for everyone.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/1/2018 at 6:13 PM, Kohloo said:

I don't play any rp stuff, but I've always preferred tabletop (eg. D&D) as opposed to online stuff

I have tried War Hammer which is sadly a very pricey table top game. Just one custom piece can run $30. Thats really what kept me out of the table top scene it just is so expensive.

I love roleplaying, it's one of my favourite things actually ... I've only ever done roleplays on forums, such as this one, but I do find table top roleplays very interesting as well. (Although I feel those would be less suited towards my actual roleplaying ability since social interactions are a great weakness of mine.)

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ItsSammy said:

I love roleplaying, it's one of my favourite things actually ... I've only ever done roleplays on forums, such as this one, but I do find table top roleplays very interesting as well. (Although I feel those would be less suited towards my actual roleplaying ability since social interactions are a great weakness of mine.)

We have that social interaction part in common, heh. Have you tried any tabletop RPGs at least once?

On 9/30/2018 at 3:49 AM, Roxeg said:

We have that social interaction part in common, heh. Have you tried any tabletop RPGs at least once?

I think I may have done one or two with my siblings at some point but I don't really remember which ones they were.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I loved RPing on forums. I think almost 40% of my posts on the Anime-Forums I was a member on were dedicated to RPs that were being run. I actually had two RPs I created myself going and was co-running a couple more with really good friends from back then. I honestly miss talking to those three.

Anyways, I am always ready to roll in a new RP at anytime. I have a folder full of characters I created for and because of RPs. The whole thing is really why I've become a character and world driven story holic.

I am also already involved in a D&D campaign currently. I have played MMOs for years, the biggest ones that I remember are Rose Online, Flyff, Guild Wars 1 & 2, and Mabinogi.

Edited by KeilynLocke
Typos

I don't really play RPGs anymore.  I used to though, back in the paper-and-pencil days.  I even have an original boxed set of the 3 D&D manuals from the 70s.  (Er, somewhere. :) )  D&D, GURPs, Hero, Metamorphosis Alpha, Space Quest, Traveller... we played them all at one time or another through the 80s.

My first online RPG was on GEnie called Dragon's Gate. back in the text-only, pre-internet days.  (GEnie was a competitor to Compuserve and was eventually bought by AOL.)  I also ran my own CircleMUD server for a while when the internet was young. Unfortunately that turned out to be too much of an admin headache, and I didn't have the time for it anyway since by then I was in college.  But the original D&D gang scattered after school and life since then hasn't really allowed me the time to invest in an RPG habit.  Closest I get today is playing things like minecraft with a couple friends when I get the chance.  :(